Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBP officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • with the current budget crisis?? .... probably nothing HAHA!! but really, anyone have an answer? really dependant upon what % you put away I would think??


    Originally posted by cur679 View Post
    I haven't seen this question posted yet, but what can the average CBPO who maxes out the GS scale expect to see when it comes to monthly retirement pay?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by SouthernTransfer View Post
      I am a current federal CO for the BOP, I work in the south but am from the north and so is my fiancé, I am trying to get back to Chicago. I just applied for the CBP opening. I only applied for the Midwest region, how likely is it I could get stationed in Chicago? Also I am currently a gs6 almost a 7 will I potentially get a decrease in pay or will I start as a 5 with higher steps to equal my current pay? Not sure how it is if you change agency's.
      There's no hard and fast rule about where you will be offered depending on region. That being said, if you did well on the test, pair that with midwest region... Chicago isn't a crazy thing.
      So, if MHC says you got the midwest and you scored something in the top tier "90-100", then you may have super chance. No one truly knows the process other than MHC, so you might as well buy a magic 8 ball.

      As for your pay, they will tell you what they offer the position to you.
      If you are currently GS6-whatever, then it is your choice to accept the GS 5 or 7 that is offered. If you get the GS5, yeah it would be a slight pay decrease, but on your anniversary EOD, you would jump to GS7. They might be willing to match or adjust accordingly, but that's a case by case basis.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by ajgann View Post
        Managed to catch the latest opening before it closed. I had planed to fill it out this weekend, glad I went to USAjobs last night. I'm an Army airborne infantry vet and a grad of a top 40 university with well over a 3.0 gpa. Lets see if I get lucky this time around. I hope I didn't hurt my chances by going with the central Atlantic coast rather then the south west.

        On a more negative note...

        I can't stand reading about people worried about PT tests for these federal law enforcement jobs. 20 push ups? 1.5 mile run? These are things any adult male should be able to do. Body building splits and sitting on your butt playing video games will not help at all. This is basic stuff, work on some intervals, do pushup and pullup ladders and throw in at lest one distance run a week. If you can put a good program together yourself just do the darn PT test three time a week. There are so many body weight and running programs for free online.

        In the army I would work out just three times a week and killed the PT test. All I did was powerliftng, hill sprints and intervals.
        Vet, bachelor's, and a decent GPA. Sounds good so far.
        Hopefully you do well on the test. Central Atlantic isn't a pipe dream geo. I wish you the best of luck.

        Per the PT, yeah.... It's really not that difficult. It's really another part of the process that weeds out the applicants.

        In reality, here are the steps and where people either proceed or get dinged out.

        Application
        PFT1 (Step, sidestep, lift, etc)
        Medical
        VBT/SI
        Background
        PFT2 (Run, pushup, situp, and sprint)
        If you make it that far, then awesome.

        Then you have academy and people fail out of that either by academics or by physical fitness.

        Back to my main point. The PTs are not overly challenging to the normal human being. However, everyone has their "norm" and their physical fitness ability. If you are on the lower side of being physically active, it's going to be a greater challenge for the PFTs and the physical exercise portions of academy will be very challenging.

        Prior to my entry to CBP, I wouldn't say I was the most active person, but I did do things such as biking and running. When I knew I was in the process for CBP, I ramped up my schedule and workouts. I did half/full marathons, greater weights, and crossfit. Is this something the general applicant needs to do, absolutely not. Like any job application, it's up to you to put forth the effort.
        If you go into the process unprepared then more than likely the results won't be what you wanted.

        All I can say is, best of luck to everyone in the process.

        Comment


        • shadowtrain, youre correct the PT is not a challenge for the average person. I took the PFT1 andwas 3 points short of maxing it out(38 situps was 3 pts short of the max pts) I have always considered myself athletic but a Roadside IED in Iraq messed up my back and the situps and 1.5 mile run has over night become challenging for me.. So for those that are still awaiting the PFT, dont freak over it but do prepair. You have to meet a min points for the combined 4 tests but you also must pass each test.. Good Luck to each ofyou and all of us CHEERS!

          ]
          Last edited by PHSeaBee; 05-10-2014, 05:18 PM.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Shadowtrain View Post
            Vet, bachelor's, and a decent GPA. Sounds good so far.
            Hopefully you do well on the test. Central Atlantic isn't a pipe dream geo. I wish you the best of luck.

            Per the PT, yeah.... It's really not that difficult. It's really another part of the process that weeds out the applicants.

            In reality, here are the steps and where people either proceed or get dinged out.

            Application
            PFT1 (Step, sidestep, lift, etc)
            Medical
            VBT/SI
            Background
            PFT2 (Run, pushup, situp, and sprint)
            If you make it that far, then awesome.

            Then you have academy and people fail out of that either by academics or by physical fitness.

            Back to my main point. The PTs are not overly challenging to the normal human being. However, everyone has their "norm" and their physical fitness ability. If you are on the lower side of being physically active, it's going to be a greater challenge for the PFTs and the physical exercise portions of academy will be very challenging.

            Prior to my entry to CBP, I wouldn't say I was the most active person, but I did do things such as biking and running. When I knew I was in the process for CBP, I ramped up my schedule and workouts. I did half/full marathons, greater weights, and crossfit. Is this something the general applicant needs to do, absolutely not. Like any job application, it's up to you to put forth the effort.
            If you go into the process unprepared then more than likely the results won't be what you wanted.

            All I can say is, best of luck to everyone in the process.
            So you're saying you are a CBPO?? If so can you talk about the training they make you do or do they make you sign off to that as well? I am a female and workout regularly but would love to know what I can or should work more on
            CBPO: GS-5
            Geo/Location: JFK
            Tested: 3/'13
            NOR (84)
            Medical/PFT1 passed: July 21st '15 // VBT/SI passed: July 23rd '15
            Equip sent: 8/31/'15 // NOPA: ?
            Poly: ? // Met with BI: ?
            The Call: ? // Drug Test: ?
            BI Cleared: ? // PFT 2: ?
            EOD: ? // FLETC: ?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by cur679 View Post
              I haven't seen this question posted yet, but what can the average CBPO who maxes out the GS scale expect to see when it comes to monthly retirement pay?
              There is no set answer to give you.

              The short answer is that retirement is based on one's base salary plus up to 50% of the statutory overtime cap...(currently capped at 35K, so 17.5K). It's 1.7% for the first 20 years and 1% for all additional years. That's over a high 36 consecutive months.

              A person in a high locality pay area who has the opportunity to work 17.5 in OT over years will make considerably more in retirement than a low locality guy in a port with little OT.

              I would guess, that with the proposed 4000 new hires, that overtime will become more and more rarer for most officers...negatively affecting many retirements.

              As a practical matter, retirement income is a combination of social security, thrift savings plan, and pension. Everyone ought to max out their tsp contributions as soon a financially possible.

              Comment


              • Edit...double post.
                Last edited by merlin436; 05-10-2014, 09:56 PM.

                Comment


                • Edit...triple post.
                  Last edited by merlin436; 05-10-2014, 09:53 PM.

                  Comment


                  • VBT/SI on wednesday in Tukwila!!!

                    Comment


                    • Wrapped up my interview with the investigator on Wednesday of last week.
                      I guess it's time to sit back and wait for a letter.
                      By sitting back, I mean training for the PFT2. Haha
                      Geo - East Texas
                      Exam date - 9/7/2013
                      NOR - 9/13/2013 score = 97 no vet pnts.
                      TSL - 11/27/2014
                      PFT1 - 12/27/2014
                      VBT/SI - 1/7/2014
                      EQIP - 1/18/2014
                      Credit check - 2/4/2014
                      GS-7 Qualification cass update - 2/24/2014
                      Poly exam - 4/8/2014 - PASS
                      Interview with investigator - 5/7/2014
                      Background submitted from investigator - 6/4/2014
                      Drug Test - 6/26/2014
                      PFT2 - 7/10/2014
                      EOD - JULY 28th, 2014
                      FLETC - 8/18/2014 - 12/30/2014
                      CBP Session #359 Guidon
                      Awarded Physical Training Award

                      Comment


                      • I find that i am far more nervous of the structured interview than i am of the VBT. This will only be my second interview i've ever done and i don't want to mess up after 6 months or so of this process.

                        My VBT/SI is on Thursday, so i'm trying to prepare the best i can.
                        Geo - Central East Coast
                        CBPO Exam - 10/18/2013
                        NOR - 10/24/2013
                        TSL - 1/30/2014
                        VBT #1 - 3/12/14 (out of country)
                        PFT1/medical - 3/20/2014
                        VBT/SI #2 - 5/15/2014 (eligible 5/22/2014)
                        eQuip/fingerprints - 9/29/2014

                        Comment


                        • Interveiws are a piece of cake... You dress well, speak well and be yourself. Once you're there the real you comes out so don't cheat yourself by acting differently.

                          The suck part is the VBT.. I took these back when I became a Deputy and I always felt like a J/A since the vidio doesn't interact well with the test taker. Years of interacting with people I know my reaction will be based upon the response I get.. But after I get past looking like a fool ; even tose are easy.

                          But be yourself at the interview. Inform about your accomplishments w/o bragging is the best path to take. Interveiwers know most people don't like to brag and look for that... but still want to know you have something to provide. Good Luck Buddy and CHEERS!!


                          Originally posted by Jdmgreg View Post
                          I find that i am far more nervous of the structured interview than i am of the VBT. This will only be my second interview i've ever done and i don't want to mess up after 6 months or so of this process.

                          My VBT/SI is on Thursday, so i'm trying to prepare the best i can.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by DOA-DOL-DOJ-DHS
                            Merlin, you don't have to worry about overtime diminishing. There is always overtime depending on where you work. That is why a person should carefully decide where to apply for. Besides overtime is tracked pretty good so that it is pretty even.
                            For those that don't get the bigger picture, several years ago cbp changed their retirement and age hiring restriction. So, a lot of people in the next 5 years will be gone. To add to that, new ports are opening. In houston a 2nd airport will become an international airport in the next 2 years. Promotions will account for more people. So 4000 may sound like a lot of new hires and it is to train, however their are CBPO positions around the world.
                            There are federal employee websites that have information about retirement, just google and start reading, learning. That is a great question to ask early. If you don't help yourself for retirement information, BELIEVE me when I say the government isn't going to help you.
                            Google "tsp government" ; fedweek; for a couple of websites. Starting early, can give you over a million in savings when you retire!

                            Overtime has been cut back significantly over the last few years. Even without the additional hires I'd expect that trend to continue. I can't think of a single reason to assume that 4000 additional hires won't cut it back even further.

                            Nobody in the agency tracks OT to "even" it out...unless maybe you're looking at it viewing nothing beyond on a port level. There are plenty of CBPOs in ports across the agency making $$$$ in overtime...10, 20, 30k or more with cap waivers. Likewise, there are plenty of CBPOs in other ports who are lucky to scrap out a couple of grand in OT. That's been the realization within the agency since the founding of DHS.

                            Comment


                            • Just want to add about OT. New hires can only get OT after passing probation. Which is 1 year.

                              Comment


                              • Must be a CBP policy... we at DOI have min 11hrs a pay period of manditory OT from day one! Part of the job description even.


                                Originally posted by friscovirus View Post
                                Just want to add about OT. New hires can only get OT after passing probation. Which is 1 year.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 5505 users online. 258 members and 5247 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X