300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shorttie View Post
    All depends on what you make out of the job. If you are looking for a plain job with good benefits and small lateral movement then NYPD is for you, but if your looking to move out and branch yourself within the federal government then CBP all the way. Also understand that as a NYPD your jurisdiction is limited to a certain area. With CBP you have no limitation seeing that the federal government is over the state LEO .Personally I'll start the process with NYPD and get all the experiences I can. It might take CBP a while to process you and why not get the money and experience while you can.
    I can't say that I agree. I am not a CBPO, I am a BPA, and yes I did apply for the CBPO job, but I don't think anyone should have false illusions about what you will be doing as a CBPO.

You will gain more traditional law enforcement experience and have more opportunities in NYPD than you ever could as a CBPO. They are a full service police agency and the largest local LE agency in the United States with every type of special unit and team you could imagine.

In terms of pay and benefits, I have heard that NYPD has a superior retirement, and pay that is on par, if not higher than that of a CBPO.

Keep in mind that even though JFK is a busier airport, it is still just an airport, and the majority of what you will be doing there as a CBPO won't be traditional law enforcement work. In terms of getting into the federal system, working for CBP wil not put you in any better of a position to move around to 1811 or investigative type positions than coming in off the street. I know that as a fact as I have tried and hit the same road blocks as everyone else.

The feds are not over the locals except in some BS television show. The truth is that state and local LE do more work and enforce more laws than the feds. We work together when necessary because often times they have a lot more jurisdiction and a much less limited scope of authority than federal agencies.
    What is Perseverance?
    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

• If you want to spent your whole career in a confined space (port-of-entry) with ten supervisors looking over your back at all times, then become a CBPO...

Local and state LE agencies have it better IMO. More freedom to do their jobs and more satisfaction.

I hate to say it but CBPOs are nothing more than glorified security guards.

Comment

• I have to disagree with you The kansan since they last resign the contract with the union some of the benefits that NYPD officer had have been changed. All the new officers that are going in are under a new contract. I have family members who are part of the NYPD and told me that CBP has better benefits then nypd. For me lateral movement is so so all depends on where you want to be at when your completing your 20 years on the force.

I believe in every job you will have supervisors looking over your shoulder. Is what you make of the job is what counts. Best advise is do your research and judge for yourself.
        Last edited by Shorttie; 12-16-2013, 01:41 AM.
        Geo: Florida, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas V.I and St. Croix V.I
        first choice: Florida region
        second choice: Puerto Rico
        Test-8/21/11
        NOR-3/23/12
        Test Management Application-8/16/12
        TSL-2/25/13
        PFT 1-3/27/13- passed
        Medical-3/27/13- put on medical review 5/21/2013-passed
        B.I.- submitted 6/11/2013
        V.B.T- 4/18/2013-passed
        S.I.-4/18/2013-passed
        Poly- 11/20/2013-pending
        PFT 2-
        The Call-
        E.O.D-

Comment

• Uhh Kansan is a BPA, if you're telling him to do his research I suggest taking your own advice considering how BPAs and OFOs work together especially at POEs. Bottom line him and hangman are trying to make is that contrary to popular belief fed jobs aren't always high speed especially becoming an OFO.

Comment

• Originally posted by emack23 View Post
            Uhh Kansan is a BPA, if you're telling him to do his research I suggest taking your own advice considering how BPAs and OFOs work together especially at POEs. Bottom line him and hangman are trying to make is that contrary to popular belief fed jobs aren't always high speed especially becoming an OFO.
            No I'm telling you to do your research. If you read the forum correctly kimran611 ask a question that me and The Kansan gave our opinion on. The Kansan gave his opinion with CBP and I came with mine from NYPD coming from a NYPD background. The research part was intended for Kimran611. For him/her to search around and see which job is best suited for them. At no moment did I disagree with what The Kansan had said about the benefits with the federal government. I only disagree on what I know about the benefits pertaining to nypd.
            Last edited by Shorttie; 12-16-2013, 10:01 AM.
            Test-8/21/11
            NOR-3/23/12
            TSL-2/25/13
            PFT 1-3/27/13- passed
            V.B.T- 4/18/2013-passed
            S.I.-4/18/2013-passed
            Poly- 11/20/2013-pending
            PFT 2-
            The Call-
            E.O.D-

Comment

• Originally posted by Shorttie View Post
              No I'm telling you to do your research. If you read the forum correctly kimran611 ask a question that me and The Kansan gave our opinion on. The Kansan gave his opinion with CBP and I came with mine from NYPD coming from a NYPD background. The research part was intended for Kimran611. For him/her to search around and see which job is best suited for them. At no moment did I disagree with what The Kansan had said about the benefits with the federal government. I only disagree on what I know about the benefits pertaining to nypd.
              Actually I'm piggybacking off of what he said in stating that feds don't trump local LE. Not sure what your experience entails but based on what I've seen OTJ when a local or state makes a traffic stop they're the ones in charge where feds are playing support from the G ride even if the stop was mandated by the agency. In terms of benefits that's probably the only thing I can't really complain about but you do realize that there was sequestration two months ago. And I haven't bumped into a cop off the force here by me or when I TDYed in the northeast who said they were working for free or was never told their OT is getting cut.
              Last edited by emack23; 12-16-2013, 11:33 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Successfully completed my Medical & PFT1 today. I was surprised that it only took 45 minutes. Everything went so fast. I was the only one there (JFK MedPort).
                NYPD COP Exam # 1313 List # 3xx
                APD-5: 08/12
                Medical: 04/13
                Psych: 06/13
                Oral Psych: 06/13
                BI: 08/13
                JST: 10/13 (3:13)
                Mini-Med: 10/13
                Got the call: 1/5/14 @ 18:28
                Academy: 01/08/2014
                Graduation: July 2014

CBPO (Central East) 15-3
                Exam: 09/04/13
                NOR: 09/13/13 (90%)
                TSL: 05/01/15
                Medical & PFT1: 05/19/15
                VBT: 06/17/15

Exams Taken: Port Authority Police, Suffolk Police (Score: 95%), Nassau Police (91.505%), NYS Trooper, NYC Sheriff, FDNY, NYS Court Officer & many more

Comment

• Just got my TSL! nothing scheduled but feels good to know I did not have to wait as long for that.
                  CBPO (West Coast)
                  Exam: 08/29/13
                  NOR: 09/13/13- 87%
                  TSL: 12/16/13
                  Medical & PFT1: 12/23/13

Comment

• Kimran,

Do they let you know right away that you passed the physical test? I was under the impression that you didn't find out officially until 4 weeks later.

Comment

• I have my polygraph tomorrow morning. Kinda nervous. I have about a 3 hour drive and have never taken a federal polygraph. I have taken some on state levels and passed with no issues. Northwestern region 2012 applicant.

Comment

• I got a 88 on my NOR, where is my TSL

Comment

• Originally posted by Kmiech View Post
                          Kimran,

Do they let you know right away that you passed the physical test? I was under the impression that you didn't find out officially until 4 weeks later.
                          Not exactly, however the doctor said that there should be no reason why I wouldn't pass.
                          NYPD COP Exam # 1313 List # 3xx
                          APD-5: 08/12
                          Medical: 04/13
                          Psych: 06/13
                          Oral Psych: 06/13
                          BI: 08/13
                          JST: 10/13 (3:13)
                          Mini-Med: 10/13
                          Got the call: 1/5/14 @ 18:28
                          Academy: 01/08/2014
                          Graduation: July 2014

CBPO (Central East) 15-3
                          Exam: 09/04/13
                          NOR: 09/13/13 (90%)
                          TSL: 05/01/15
                          Medical & PFT1: 05/19/15
                          VBT: 06/17/15

Exams Taken: Port Authority Police, Suffolk Police (Score: 95%), Nassau Police (91.505%), NYS Trooper, NYC Sheriff, FDNY, NYS Court Officer & many more

Comment

• Originally posted by aal View Post
                            Just got my TSL! nothing scheduled but feels good to know I did not have to wait as long for that.
                            congrats! I actually got mine today too Just wondering what was your test date and geo? I was tested back in Sept and my geo is West Coast

Comment

• Originally posted by Th3boss View Post
                              congrats! I actually got mine today too Just wondering what was your test date and geo? I was tested back in Sept and my geo is West Coast
                              Right back at ya , I tested Aug. 29 I believe and also west coast I thought about changing it to NW or SW in hopes of a faster timeline...did you get scheduled for anything? i wonder how long it will be before we get a date
                              CBPO (West Coast)
                              Exam: 08/29/13
                              NOR: 09/13/13- 87%
                              TSL: 12/16/13
                              Medical & PFT1: 12/23/13

Comment

• Originally posted by Kmiech View Post
                                Kimran,

They don't inform you if you pass or fail the test but if you know what you need to do to pass you can make that determination yourself. CBP sends you a packet that has all the information in it in detail what the test is about and how the test is scored. Just keep in mind what you did and do the calculation. The medical stuff you won't know anything about until later. A doctor goes through the information gathered and determines if your suitable for the job. If that doctor finds anything wrong with you they put you on medical evaluation then your going to have to see your personal doctor to get off of the medical evaluation which might cost you money depending on your medical coverage.
                                Last edited by Shorttie; 12-16-2013, 09:00 PM.
                                Test-8/21/11
                                NOR-3/23/12
                                TSL-2/25/13
                                PFT 1-3/27/13- passed
                                V.B.T- 4/18/2013-passed
                                S.I.-4/18/2013-passed
                                Poly- 11/20/2013-pending
                                PFT 2-
                                The Call-
                                E.O.D-

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8347 users online. 456 members and 7891 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X