300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fer View Post
    who cares about the flap, you are not here to get rewards and stuff, Be a proud CBP like me... If there's no money there's no money, I still bring my 100% game every day..All of you future CBP's don't even pay attention to this guy... always be proud and do your job 100%.
    I don't work for CBP and I don't really want to get in the middle of this but are you serious? You couldn't have been on this job too long to still think like this. No matter what you do for a living, law enforcement or not, you do it FOR A LIVING. I go to work to make as much money as I can, not to provide my skills and services to an agency for free.
    Those who have struggled with failure more appreciate success; than those who succeed but never themselves test.

Comment

• Originally posted by xtrider View Post
      Are you serious?? This is a joke. According to the agreement with the NTEU I'm entitle to that award and pay. I don't give a damn if you don't want the money or not, the reality is I'm entitle to it, if I don't get paid CBP should not request me to use it at the port. As simple as that. I'm more than fine just speaking English to every single traveler that comes to my port in primary or secondary. I'm taking pride on the work I do. I'm served this country in the military and now with this agency. You should know who you talking too before you opened your mouth. I'm glad your happy with the job. How long you been in this job? Finally 1 year? Maybe 2? But you should never question another cbp officer who is fighting for what he is entitle. We should be fighting together for better conditions, better environment and so on. Don't you ever question my integrity or even question why I'm doing this job. You don't want your FLAP? Fine, maybe they don't give it to you at your port, I don't know but questions another officer for something he should received according to NTEU and the agreement is crossing the line pal.
      I hope your Spanish is better than your English grammar used in this post. The word you are looking for is entitled not entitle. That being said perhaps you should actually read that agreement you are referring to.

Specifically, "Appendix F" which deals with the Foreign Language Awards Program.

Section 6 reads as follows:

Payment of cards awards for each fiscal year will be made no later than 90 days after the close of the fiscal year in which the award was earned. All foreign language awards are subject to the availability of CBP funds. CBP will make reasonable efforts to ensure that there are sufficient monies available to fund FLAP awards.
      The important part is the bolded portion. In a time when employees are getting furloughed and operating budgets are taking cuts in the double digits I think that it is reasonable that awards also take a hit as opposed to things happening such as RIFS.

In addition, I have been in long enough to remember the time when it was not a request to use Spanish at the port (by the way it is not a request now either) because it was expected of you as part of the job. The service spent money to teach you to at least to do an inspection in Spanish, like they still do in places where it is common to use Spanish.

The bottom line is there is limited amount of funds to go around. At least, we so far have not been impacted significantly. Yet. It could be worst you could be a Border Patrol agent looking at losing AUO which is significantly more than the FLAP percentage.

FB
      Last edited by Firebug; 12-09-2013, 12:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3531Marine View Post
        I don't work for CBP and I don't really want to get in the middle of this but are you serious? You couldn't have been on this job too long to still think like this. No matter what you do for a living, law enforcement or not, you do it FOR A LIVING. I go to work to make as much money as I can, not to provide my skills and services to an agency for free.
        I don't know I have been in 16+ years now and for the most part I still think like that and I believe quite a few officers do. I am not talking extremes I would not work for free but I am not doing this for the awards nor did I pick this profession to get rich.

FB

Comment

• Be rich? for real? Well, it's a requirement to speak a foreign language here. Yes it's true they teach you how to do a REALLY BASIC INSPECTION in another language that by the way will not help you to catch anything and if you said otherwise you obviously don't see anything besides what you want to believe.

Oh sure it's fun to use another language and not use the other service translator what's the name? Lazard? Now you are great for the agency right. You don't use that private company so CBP can save some money.

In this case it's a requirement to speak Spanish. If you don't speak Spanish they will send you to another school for 6 weeks so you can do a basic inspection, but in Secondary they love your foreign language either its Portuguese, Spanish, Mandarin and so on.

I'm glad you don't want to be rich with this job, me neither. I just want to live a decent and honest life and be able to provide my family with the job that I had. At the end of the day knowing another language save the agency money, time doing a case.

You want to get rid of FLAP? Fine, at least treat me with respect and let me know ahead of time that you are not planning on giving me anything. Don't make me fill out paperwork, take a test and waste my time while the agency is wasting money doing that to create a false impression that at the end of the day hit the morale of the employees.

I'm not talking only for me, I'm talking about all my co-workers that feel the same way, disrespected by the lack of professionalism in the agency.

Comment

• Originally posted by xtrider View Post
            Be rich? for real? Well, it's a requirement to speak a foreign language here. Yes it's true they teach you how to do a REALLY BASIC INSPECTION in another language that by the way will not help you to catch anything and if you said otherwise you obviously don't see anything besides what you want to believe.

Oh sure it's fun to use another language and not use the other service translator what's the name? Lazard? Now you are great for the agency right. You don't use that private company so CBP can save some money.

In this case it's a requirement to speak Spanish. If you don't speak Spanish they will send you to another school for 6 weeks so you can do a basic inspection, but in Secondary they love your foreign language either its Portuguese, Spanish, Mandarin and so on.

I'm glad you don't want to be rich with this job, me neither. I just want to live a decent and honest life and be able to provide my family with the job that I had. At the end of the day knowing another language save the agency money, time doing a case.

You want to get rid of FLAP? Fine, at least treat me with respect and let me know ahead of time that you are not planning on giving me anything. Don't make me fill out paperwork, take a test and waste my time while the agency is wasting money doing that to create a false impression that at the end of the day hit the morale of the employees.

I'm not talking only for me, I'm talking about all my co-workers that feel the same way, disrespected by the lack of professionalism in the agency.
            You should spend some time actually reading the posts. I never said that anything about getting rid of FLAP. I am very aware of the requirement of speaking Spanish in certain ports of entry. I am from a time when every officer (read inspector, special agent, deportation officer etc.) from the Immigration Service was required to speak a very limited amount of Spanish regardless of the port of entry or geographic location with NO extra pay. It was a required part of the job hence the 6 weeks training program.

You somewhat missed the point. FLAP is an award it is not part of your salary. Even the agreement you brought up clearly spells that out. To answer the rest of your points, the service had everyone follow the procedure to obtain their FLAP award in the event that money was found to fund the awards. Would you have rather the service not do the procedures than tell you money was freed up (which does happen on occasion for example this award period in this field office) but since you didn’t test and fill out the required paperwork you won’t be receiving the award. Which would you rather have happened?

You say you just want to provide for your family with the job that you have. I agree with that concept. However, you should plan to provide for your family with the wage that your job supplies. That plan should only include your wage not awards, overtime, or shift differentials because those things are not guaranteed. Those things are under the purview of the employer.

As for the day to day operations and knowledge thereof, I would be very careful about making general statements about what other people know and have experienced. I am far from fluent in Spanish yet that never really stopped me from making solid cases against people. Also, how do you explain the cases made on people speaking Polish, Russian, Punjabi, Japanese or any number of languages that are spoken in our Ports of Entry? It is very rarely the words that someone says that trips them up. It is that person’s body language, mannerisms, the manner in which they don’t answer questions and demeanor that draws attention. I worked more cases in 16 years in which I couldn’t speak the language the traveler was speaking yet I knew before even saying hello that something was going to be wrong.

I am well aware that an officer fluent in second language is an asset. I would much rather work with one than without one. However, that doesn’t make the officer with a second language indispensable. The work and cases will still get done without that ability if need be just as it has been done for decades before FLAP came along.

FB

Comment

• Originally posted by Firebug View Post
              You should spend some time actually reading the posts. I never said that anything about getting rid of FLAP. I am very aware of the requirement of speaking Spanish in certain ports of entry. I am from a time when every officer (read inspector, special agent, deportation officer etc.) from the Immigration Service was required to speak a very limited amount of Spanish regardless of the port of entry or geographic location with NO extra pay. It was a required part of the job hence the 6 weeks training program.

You somewhat missed the point. FLAP is an award it is not part of your salary. Even the agreement you brought up clearly spells that out. To answer the rest of your points, the service had everyone follow the procedure to obtain their FLAP award in the event that money was found to fund the awards. Would you have rather the service not do the procedures than tell you money was freed up (which does happen on occasion for example this award period in this field office) but since you didn’t test and fill out the required paperwork you won’t be receiving the award. Which would you rather have happened?

You say you just want to provide for your family with the job that you have. I agree with that concept. However, you should plan to provide for your family with the wage that your job supplies. That plan should only include your wage not awards, overtime, or shift differentials because those things are not guaranteed. Those things are under the purview of the employer.

As for the day to day operations and knowledge thereof, I would be very careful about making general statements about what other people know and have experienced. I am far from fluent in Spanish yet that never really stopped me from making solid cases against people. Also, how do you explain the cases made on people speaking Polish, Russian, Punjabi, Japanese or any number of languages that are spoken in our Ports of Entry? It is very rarely the words that someone says that trips them up. It is that person’s body language, mannerisms, the manner in which they don’t answer questions and demeanor that draws attention. I worked more cases in 16 years in which I couldn’t speak the language the traveler was speaking yet I knew before even saying hello that something was going to be wrong.

I am well aware that an officer fluent in second language is an asset. I would much rather work with one than without one. However, that doesn’t make the officer with a second language indispensable. The work and cases will still get done without that ability if need be just as it has been done for decades before FLAP came along.

FB

Thank you! :-) That's what I was trying to say.

Comment

• Meh.

FLAP has always been a program targeted at minority of CBPOs and more or less excluding the majority. Let it disappear...if you ask me.

If I were 'king', I'd put into place a language award program that rewarded multilingualism by rewarding people who spoke/learned alternative languages on a one-time basis. Along with that, I'd also put into play free and unlimited access across-the-board for all CBPOs/CBPAS to Rosetta Stone(or a similar program), as well as internal language training sessions and language tuition assistance for college level study.

You are/become adept at a language...one-time award payment. Want more money...learn another language...all/mostly on the G's dime.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                  Meh.

FLAP has always been a program targeted at minority of CBPOs and more or less excluding the majority. Let it disappear...if you ask me.

If I were 'king', I'd put into place a language award program that rewarded multilingualism by rewarding people who spoke/learned alternative languages on a one-time basis. Along with that, I'd also put into play free and unlimited access across-the-board for all CBPOs/CBPAS to Rosetta Stone(or a similar program), as well as internal language training sessions and language tuition assistance for college level study.

You are/become adept at a language...one-time award payment. Want more money...learn another language...all/mostly on the G's dime.
                  The government at one time did pay for Rosetta Stone for the officers. It was extremely easy to get you just had to send an email from your government email address. Rosetta Stone verified it and you then had access for any language you were interested in. Sadly, it was one of the first things cut about 4 to 5 years ago.

FB

Comment

• Originally posted by Shorttie View Post
                    Hey j.c. turn in your personal message I want to ask you a question
                    Just turned my PM on. Sorry for late reply.

Comment

• Originally posted by Firebug View Post
                      The government at one time did pay for Rosetta Stone for the officers. It was extremely easy to get you just had to send an email from your government email address. Rosetta Stone verified it and you then had access for any language you were interested in. Sadly, it was one of the first things cut about 4 to 5 years ago.

FB
                      Not for me.

I've been requesting Rosetta Stone access regularly since the fall of 2004. A bunch of attempts, an equal bunch of denials.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                        Not for me.

I've been requesting Rosetta Stone access regularly since the fall of 2004. A bunch of attempts, an equal bunch of denials.
                        It was out there. as recently as last year for some officers on a test basis. I don't think it has much of a chance of coming back until the budget stuff gets worked out which is going to be measured in years I think. This was the link.

https://uscbpirc.rosettastoneenterprise.com/en-US/

FB

Comment

• Has anyone who tested 9/16 heard anything yet?

Comment

• Has anyone who scored below a 90 got the tsl?

Comment

• Originally posted by G.FLORES View Post
                              Has anyone who scored below a 90 got the tsl?
                              Yes I scored ab 82 and I'm in the process as we speak.
                              Geo: Florida, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas V.I and St. Croix V.I
                              first choice: Florida region
                              second choice: Puerto Rico
                              Test-8/21/11
                              NOR-3/23/12
                              Test Management Application-8/16/12
                              TSL-2/25/13
                              PFT 1-3/27/13- passed
                              Medical-3/27/13- put on medical review 5/21/2013-passed
                              B.I.- submitted 6/11/2013
                              V.B.T- 4/18/2013-passed
                              S.I.-4/18/2013-passed
                              Poly- 11/20/2013-pending
                              PFT 2-
                              The Call-
                              E.O.D-

Comment

• I tested on 9/25 and scored a 98 and haven't heard anything yet.
                                Geo- Florida
                                CBPO Exam- 9/25/13
                                NOR- 98 10/25/13
                                Qual- GS 7
                                TSL- 2/28/14
                                PFT1/Medical- 3/12/14
                                VBT/SI- 5/9/14
                                VBT/SI- eligible 5/14/14
                                BI E-QIP received- 10/03/14
                                BI E-QIP submitted- 10/06/14
                                BI E-QIP in Security Office- 01/06/15

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7652 users online. 446 members and 7206 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X