Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Answers in red.
    Originally posted by Xngears View Post
    I also attended the fitness test in Sunrise, FL on 11/20. I passed the test and am waiting to get my letter/email so I know who to get in touch with for my pre-employment orientation (which is scheduled for 12/16).

In the meantime, I want to take that time to get some questions answered regarding the Academy training and so forth. I'm hoping some of you can help answer them, so I can be fully prepared for the next few months.

1. Do the dorm rooms in the GA Academy have WiFi? As silly as it sounds, I find internet usage absolutely essential for day-to-day life, both for keeping track of family and friends, managing email and also to pass the downtime (I'm hoping to bring my Apple TV).
    Yes they do, you have to pay for it. You can buy it by the day, the week, or three months. Not the greatest wifi in the world, but it works. Bringing the apple TV would be overkill IMO.
    2. Are there rules regarding dorm room visitors, such as friends and family? What about other officers that you may become acquainted with?
    Visitors have to be signed in for. Have to be out at night. No overnight stays. As for other officers, that's up to your discretion. Don't be stupid.
    3. When does health insurance kick in?
    Pretty quick. On your first day or so of pre-academy, you'll have a ton of paperwork to turn in and one of them is the health insurance form.
    4. Are all meals provided, including breakfast lunch and dinner? What kind of meals do they serve?
    Yes, all is provided. Some food is great, others par at best. Your mileage will vary. I will say the fried chicken is delicious. At some point, venture out to St. Simons and the greater area for food.
    5. What kind of daily physical training is provided and how rigorous is it?
    You'll have some workouts depending on your class and schedule, but for the most part your workouts will be on your own. As for how rigorous it is, IMO it wasn't too bad. But I'm an avid runner and in pretty decent shape. Listen to your body, push hard when you have to and back off when you don't. Best advice, DONT GET INJURED!!! You get injured and you might not have the job.
    6. My last question is in regards to location. I was given the opportunity to work at either Florida International Airport or the Miami Everglades Seaport. My family suggested the Seaport because it was easier to get to from where I lived, and that it would presumably be less hectic than working in the airport. Are there any significant pros/cons that I should factor into while choosing between the two locations?
    Airport is more immigration, seaports are generally more customs. I have no idea about your two choices, but decide where you want to go on some factors.
    Commute, quality of life, schedule, etc,etc.
    My google-fu came up with this.
    http://www.911jobforums.com/f58/ques...rglades-58975/

Thank you for whatever help you may provide. I'm hoping that the research here will help alleviate some of the anxiousness I have.
    Hope that helps.

Comment

• Originally posted by FrankNY1985 View Post
      Which region?
      Southwest

Comment

• howdy guys, it's not too bad yet.

wifi is pay, most get $120 for 3 months.

haven't found where the free wifi is at yet...

3 meals are served every day. mon-fr bfast starts at 6am, lunch starts at 1130am, dinner starts at 430pm.

friday dinner, all day saturday, bfast and lunch on sunday are at the student center/ gbar.

i am going to start week 3 tomorrow.

it's 89 days of instruction, not 89 days.

i'm starting to get a little bit of cabin fever, if you have a car and are able to bring it, do so. i was thinking of shipping my car out, but it's going to be around $800.

buses take you to walmart/target on tu and thurs 6pm.

buses take you to walmart/target/mall on sat/sun 10-12-3-5, if you're taking the bus out at 5, you need to find your own ride back to campus.

showers in the room suck, they have water saver sprinkler type. i need a drill to make the holes bigger.

but for the most part, a lot of information, not too hard, yet, so pretty much review the infomation on off duty hours and should be good for the most part.

the gym is nice, lots of equipment, you must wear their PT gear (shorts/shirt/sweats/socks... off duty, socks can be any type.

the water tastes funky...chow hall or water bottles at gbar, has the best water.
        tested in San Diego- SWB, 10/11
        NOR-11/11
        TSL- 11/17/11
        pft1- 12/8/11
        Pre-E Forms-completed 3/12
        Qual- completed 3/12
        Medical Ex- completed 4/12
        S I-completed 3/12
        Drug Screening- completed 6/7/12
        Background Investigation- met with BI 6/5/13
        Fitness- completed 12/12

EOD- 9/9/13 SYS
        Fletc- 10-15-13, class 338
        new fletc date- 11-18-13

SYS CBPO 4-1-2014

Comment

• Thanks for answering my previous questions. The seaport does sound like the better option as I would rather deal with customs than immigration. Coming from a hispanic family that had to immigrate here, I'd probably feel depressed having to deny passage to an elderly grandma or two because of incorrect/forged paperwork.

Just a couple more questions and I think I'll have a good idea what to expect.

1. If I decide that the WiFi is inefficient/too slow, would I be allowed to set up my own service using my dorm's phone line? I've never actually done that before, but I believe you should be able to set up an existing ISP as long as you have the proper equipment. I may have to look into the cost options though, if that ends up costing significantly more than just using the dorm's available WiFi.

2. How big is the living space in a single dorm room, and is a desk included? I'm debating about bringing my PC over and setting it up in the dorm. A tower, monitor, mouse and keyboard.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xngears View Post
            Thanks for answering my previous questions. The seaport does sound like the better option as I would rather deal with customs than immigration. Coming from a hispanic family that had to immigrate here, I'd probably feel depressed having to deny passage to an elderly grandma or two because of incorrect/forged paperwork.

1. If I decide that the WiFi is inefficient/too slow, would I be allowed to set up my own service using my dorm's phone line? I've never actually done that before, but I believe you should be able to set up an existing ISP as long as you have the proper equipment. I may have to look into the cost options though, if that ends up costing significantly more than just using the dorm's available WiFi.

2. How big is the living space in a single dorm room, and is a desk included? I'm debating about bringing my PC over and setting it up in the dorm. A tower, monitor, mouse and keyboard.
            1. I wouldn't do this. The internet is ample, but if you're used to high end cable type of deal, then you will be disappointed. For the general user, it's plenty. If you want to look for an alternative, tether through your phone if your phone provider provides it or get a mobile hotspot hub.
            2. Desk is included. Bringing a desktop PC is overkill IMO. I brought by laptop and it was used a handful of times. Your mileage will vary.
            Tablets and laptops are what I would recommend.

Comment

• Xngears when did you take your CBPO exam? I haven't heard from them yet and just wanted to know when you took it so I might get a rough idea when I'll hear back from them.

Comment

Thanks for answering my previous questions. The seaport does sound like the better option as I would rather deal with customs than immigration. Coming from a hispanic family that had to immigrate here, I'd probably feel depressed having to deny passage to an elderly grandma or two because of incorrect/forged paperwork.

If this is how you feel about the job, then you must reconsider if this is the right career for you... You WILL deal with immigration no matter where you go, and if you can't or are unwilling to enforce the laws you are entrusted to follow, this is not for you. As you will find out... The academy is 90% immigration if not more... Customs is barely touched.
                CBPO
                Written: 08/29/2007
                EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• I am leaving for SYS on the 12th. I was wondering where would my pre-academy classes be at? Would I be able to utilize public transportation (Blue Line) to get to and from the pre-academy?

Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by aviator1 View Post
                    I am leaving for SYS on the 12th. I was wondering where would my pre-academy classes be at? Would I be able to utilize public transportation (Blue Line) to get to and from the pre-academy?

Thanks
                    Have you talked to the point of contact there at SYS? She gave me some good information.

First day will be at SYS but the remainder of pre academy is at Otay Mesa. The public transportation only goes to SYS, not all the way to Otay. Best bet is to rent a car which is what I am doing.

Comment

• aviator1 and yoda when did you guys take the CBPO test, also if you don't mind me asking what did you guys score?

Comment

• Originally posted by Airman26 View Post
                        aviator1 and yoda when did you guys take the CBPO test, also if you don't mind me asking what did you guys score?
                        Read my signature line... Been on the job since July 2011.
                        CBPO
                        Written: 08/29/2007
                        EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

I'd probably feel depressed having to deny passage to an elderly grandma or two because of incorrect/forged paperwork.
                          Please make sure that your background investigator knows and understands that you would not wish to deny entry to a person with forged documents. It is highly important that he knows.
                          Gek.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rms16 View Post
                            Congratulations anyway mvc, getting the green check ion BI is great news! Hope they call you soon.
                            Did your bi reply to your email yet? As for me, they've received my medical packet from my chiropractor last Friday; however, no clearance yet, probably because of the holidays and all

Comment

• Originally posted by Drifting View Post
                              Please make sure that your background investigator knows and understands that you would not wish to deny entry to a person with forged documents. It is highly important that he knows.
                              Ironically Drifting, he'll probably beat both of us to Fletc.. Hilarious!

Comment

Are you serious man? That is the most absurd thing to post. Maybe your background investigator will find this. What would you do then? I hear that fast food will be striking soon. Maybe you should apply there. That seems more your speed.

On another note, does anyone have any idea how long it takes for the Medical Unit to review and approve paperwork? I sent in my paperwork for them to review and it was received by them on November 7th. I was told if it got in fast enough, I could keep my December 16th EOD date. Has anybody had to go through the medical unit before? What are the reasons for the time it takes for you to get approved? I understand that there was Veteran's Day, three weekends and Thanksgiving... Thanks.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5896 users online. 337 members and 5559 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X