Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are you allowed to transfer ports? Say if I want to do Northwest and later on move on to Northeast?

Comment

• Originally posted by NYJAM58 View Post
      are you allowed to transfer ports? Say if I want to do Northwest and later on move on to Northeast?
      During the process if you haven't received a TSL, you can ask by email MHC to change your geographical preference and I think it will happen. If you've already received a TSL and you do that, you lose your TSL.
      Gek.

Comment

• I am talking about once fully hired, are you allowed to relocate? Just wondering...

Comment

• From what i was told it is VERY hard to move to a different region. I just started yesterday in Montana and it is dead. I was hoping to get in where i could and then transfer but they said the regions dont like losing officers to other regions. Even swaps are difficult. i started yesterday and i can honestly say i have not learned anything. We processed 13 cars in a 13 hour shift! Today so far 4. We sit around all day, hang out, and occasionaly we will see a car. I am considering all of my options but its not looking to good for me staying in CBP. South border is where all the action and learning is at. I heard the training at FLETC is awesome but unfortunetly i will not be able to use any of it when(IF) coming back to Montana. Just reapplied for the SWB.

Comment

• Respectfully, I disagree somewhat.

It is true that there’s a great deal of action and learning to be had on the southern border and in larger ports, but don’t sell smaller ports short.

In smaller ports one typically ‘cleans what he catches’. He is also typically one of a very select handful of people around to deal with whatever issues and make whatever decisions needed at his port. In short, you’re pretty much forced into a Jack-of-all-trades, part-time Port Director/Supervisor/Officer in Charge/admin/everything that needs to be done guy.

In southern border/ larger ports, there’s more work and probably a greater variety of it, but there’s also far more people available to work it. Most of those Officers tend to see only what crosses within their little bailiwick within the port. Work gets specialized, and virtually all decisions are targeted at or passed along to management and/or port admin staff. People tend to get real good at a handful of things and outside of that issues get moved about amongst the various subject matter experts within the port.

Comment

• I took the CBP exam yesterday at Federal Plaza...that was the longest and hardest LE exam I've ever taken. My goodness, I thought I was going to be in and out within 3 hours just like the others. Boy was I wrong. Each section was timed so you are on their clock. This exam required a lot of thinking and re-reading...Study the packets to refresh yourself with grammar and math formulas.

Comment

• Originally posted by IzFiyah View Post
                I took the CBP exam yesterday at Federal Plaza...that was the longest and hardest LE exam I've ever taken. My goodness, I thought I was going to be in and out within 3 hours just like the others. Boy was I wrong. Each section was timed so you are on their clock. This exam required a lot of thinking and re-reading...Study the packets to refresh yourself with grammar and math formulas.
                Agreed when I took it in 2010 I had nothing to compare it to and thought it was difficult. Now that I have taken a few exams I can honestly say CBP was the most difficult. It is almost completely different from any other exam I have taken. To all those scheduled to take it do not take it lightly, study for it ladies and gentleman.
                NYPD Exam: 3310 9/12
                Score:9X.XX%
                List#2XX 5/2013

NCPD Exam: 2000 12/12

PAPD Exam: 6/13 Qualified

Comment

• You're right...all the other LE exams were a breeze...the PAPD exam was the easiest to me. I remember rushing to finish that exam because the time on the parking meter was going to run out on me. LOL My boyfriend, who is a PAPD Srgt was laughing at me saying I should of been in and out in an hour But yes, for those scheduled to take the CBP exam and think they can just walk in and out...are going to be shocked, maybe even overwhelmed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rms16 View Post
                    Agreed when I took it in 2010 I had nothing to compare it to and thought it was difficult. Now that I have taken a few exams I can honestly say CBP was the most difficult. It is almost completely different from any other exam I have taken. To all those scheduled to take it do not take it lightly, study for it ladies and gentleman.

You're right...all the other LE exams were a breeze...the PAPD exam was the easiest to me. I remember rushing to finish that exam because the time on the parking meter was going to run out on me. LOL My boyfriend, who is a PAPD Srgt was laughing at me saying I should of been in and out in an hour But yes, for those scheduled to take the CBP exam and think they can just walk in and out...are going to be shocked, maybe even overwhelmed.

Comment

• Hey I worte the CBPO exam and pass, I am currently have the BI and Drug test left on CASS but was wondering if CASS shows the polygraph as task to be check off or even though it not there do the still schedule you for it. Thanks

P.S. even though i am new to the fourm i must say it has being very helpful over the pass year an half thru this process. So a special shout out to all posters
                      Last edited by Fineman; 08-28-2013, 11:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fineman View Post
                        Hey I worte the CBPO exam and pass, I am currently have the BI and Drug test left on CASS but was wondering if CASS shows the polygraph as task to be check off or even though it not there do the still schedule you for it. Thanks

P.S. even though i am new to the fourm i must say it has being very helpful over the pass year an half thru this process. So a special shout out to all posters
                        The polygraph is considered part of your background investigation so it will not show that specifically on CASS. The background investigation check will not go green until you have passed the polygraph, you have had your BI interview, the BI Investigator has completed their duties, and MHC has reviewed it.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYJAM58 View Post
                          I am talking about once fully hired, are you allowed to relocate? Just wondering...
                          There are options to transfer. I'd suggest reading the Delphi Customs Inspector forums for more information on that.
                          Gek.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drifting View Post
                            There are options to transfer. I'd suggest reading the Delphi Customs Inspector forums for more information on that.
                            NYJAM58, drifting is right Delphi is a really good forum and just as helpful as this one. From what I have read on this forum and Delphi it is possible to transfer, just can be very difficult. Once you get a TSL you start filling out forms(I can't remember what the form was called, it's been a while haha) and one of them states you have to stay at your port for a minimum of two years. I'd suggest being prepared to be there for 3-5 years.
                            List#2XX 5/2013

Comment

• Originally posted by IzFiyah View Post
                              You're right...all the other LE exams were a breeze...the PAPD exam was the easiest to me. I remember rushing to finish that exam because the time on the parking meter was going to run out on me. LOL My boyfriend, who is a PAPD Srgt was laughing at me saying I should of been in and out in an hour But yes, for those scheduled to take the CBP exam and think they can just walk in and out...are going to be shocked, maybe even overwhelmed.
                              The only thing that bothered me about the PAPD one was the waiting 15 minutes, with NYPD you can start right of the bat. I was concerned for no reason though haha. I forget how long it took me, but it definitely was a breeze compared to CBP. Nobody should walk into any exam thinking it will be a breeze, it's always better to be prepared. The CBP exam is a whole different animal though, so nobody should take it lightly.
                              List#2XX 5/2013

Comment

• Hey guys, I am currently waiting to meet with my investigator and to get scheduled for my polygraph exam. I am worried about the polygraph. For those of you that have already taken it. Is it hard? I heard they try very hard to try to make you confess to things and they go from being pleasant to very arrogant after they hook you up to the polygraph machine. Can I get some feedback?
                                Last edited by PAPD; 08-28-2013, 06:32 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5400 users online. 210 members and 5190 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X