300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Natedog36 View Post
    That's good news to me. I have to ask are you happy with you choice of CBP? or do you think you would've been happier going with a different agency within the state? I know CBP pays well but do you honestly enjoy working for them?
    I know more than a handful of people who work for different agencies in various states/locales. I wouldn't say I've noticed where any of them are markedly more happy than I. On the other hand, yeah...maybe I would be happier somewhere else.

I'll say this...if 'working for them happiness' and/or other positive attributes are a key draw for you or anyone looking to join CBP, you're probably better off passing on by and hiring on elsewhere. I suggest looking for work outside the public service entirely.

I've worked multiple jobs within the public service and I'll that, by and large, happiness and other positive attributes are more or less antipodean to the nature of public service.

Most public service jobs are birthed from the abundance of negativity in the world. Educators exist because most students fail to easily reach minimum educational standards. Many never reach them. Health care providers exist because people fall ill and are injured. Sometimes quite easily and very traumatically. Often, people die prematurely.

In our case, we are employed largely because some people are willing to lie to us in order to profit from whatever illegitimacy they are up to. Some people are willing to break customs, immigration, and other laws and regulations crossing the border. We're part of the answer to that. In a real sense, CBP(and law enforcement in general) was birthed from the existence of the most vile and heinous actions humanity has to offer. Negativity, inharmony, discontent, malfunction...they're what really pays the bills. Happiness, if it ever came about, means we'd no longer have a purpose or a need for further employment.

We separate the 'wheat from the chaff', so to speak. We're trained to cull 'bad apples' from the mass of trade and travel, expedite what's positive and legitimate, and deny/prohibit the entry of that which is neither positive or legitimate.

Happiness has little to do with any of it.

Edit:

Having said all that, CBP has provided me with multiple opportunities that I probably would not have see had I worked elsewhere. I've been to the deserts of Arizona, the Rockies in Montana, the shores of Lake Champlain in NY...all on the government dime. Many things I've experienced or seen have been attached to this job. All in all, it hasn't been a bad ride.
    Last edited by merlin436; 08-13-2013, 01:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
      I know more than a handful of people who work for different agencies in various states/locales. I wouldn't say I've noticed where any of them are markedly more happy than I. On the other hand, yeah...maybe I would be happier somewhere else.

I'll say this...if 'working for them happiness' and/or other positive attributes are a key draw for you or anyone looking to join CBP, you're probably better off passing on by and hiring on elsewhere. I suggest looking for work outside the public service entirely.

I've worked multiple jobs within the public service and I'll that, by and large, happiness and other positive attributes are more or less antipodean to the nature of public service.

Most public service jobs are birthed from the abundance of negativity in the world. Educators exist because most students fail to easily reach minimum educational standards. Many never reach them. Health care providers exist because people fall ill and are injured. Sometimes quite easily and very traumatically. Often, people die prematurely.

In our case, we are employed largely because some people are willing to lie to us in order to profit from whatever illegitimacy they are up to. Some people are willing to break customs, immigration, and other laws and regulations crossing the border. We're part of the answer to that. In a real sense, CBP(and law enforcement in general) was birthed from the existence of the most vile and heinous actions humanity has to offer. Negativity, inharmony, discontent, malfunction...they're what really pays the bills. Happiness, if it ever came about, means we'd no longer have a purpose or a need for further employment.

We separate the 'wheat from the chaff', so to speak. We're trained to cull 'bad apples' from the mass of trade and travel, expedite what's positive and legitimate, and deny/prohibit the entry of that which is neither positive or legitimate.

Happiness has little to do with any of it.

Edit:

Having said all that, CBP has provided me with multiple opportunities that I probably would not have see had I worked elsewhere. I've been to the deserts of Arizona, the Rockies in Montana, the shores of Lake Champlain in NY...all on the government dime. Many things I've experienced or seen have been attached to this job. All in all, it hasn't been a bad ride.
      Well said
      "Strength does not come from physical capacity, but from indomitable will."

Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

• Thanks for the insight Merlin. I don't think i could pass on it though because at the end of the day, CBP would allow me to provide a good life for my family which would mean more then anything.

Comment

• I have a question for anyone who signed up for the BPA announcement. They say everything carries over from CBP to BPA and vice versa. So if i take the BPA exam and a i qualify for the gs-7 would it transfer over to CBP?

Comment

• Originally posted by Natedog36 View Post
            I have a question for anyone who signed up for the BPA announcement. They say everything carries over from CBP to BPA and vice versa. So if i take the BPA exam and a i qualify for the gs-7 would it transfer over to CBP?
            The decision that you were qualified for GS7 would not transfer over. Meaning if you qualified for GS7 with BPA you would not automatically be a GS7 with CBPO. Qualification requirements are different for each job. Your options with CBPO are GS5 or GS7, while BPA offers GS5, GS7 or GS9 (if I recall right). Several factors can qualify you for the higher pay band (GS7) with CBPO while with BPA only Specific Law Enforcement experience can qualify you for their higher pay bands.

The things that DON'T carry over are :
            Interview
            PFT1 & 2
            Qualifications

Your medical can carry over, they will review your previous med cert and may or may not require more information.
            Last edited by Amac ; 08-14-2013, 02:46 PM.
            CBPO Timeline
            Tested: 7/21/2012 Geo Pref SE
            TSL: 09/12/12
            Switched Geo Pref SWB: 8/22/2012
            TSU: 4/22/13
            PFT 2: 10/8/13
            EOD: 11/4/13 Brownsville, TX
            FLETC: 12/10/13 - ?
            BPA Timeline
            Test: 03/16/13
            NOR: 05/17/13 (101)
            GEO Pref: South Texas
            TSL1: 06/21/13
            PFT1:
            Qual: 08/13/13 GL9
            Med: 3/2013
            Interview: 9/26/13
            EQUIP: 9/24/2012
            BI Investigator: 4/2/13
            Poly: 3/19/13
            Drug Screen: 4/19/13

Comment

• Originally posted by NYJAM58 View Post
              Does anyone know where exactly CBP is hiring in the Northeast?
              Northeast- (to include but not limited to the following locations) Erie and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany, Alexandria Bay, Champlain, and Ogdensburg, New York; and the States of Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts and Maine.

This information is available on USAJobs under the current CBP announcement.

Comment

• <<< double post >>> Sorry!

I'm not sure if it's me or if everyone else is experiencing a severe lag on this site. Hmm.
                Last edited by StoneFace; 08-14-2013, 01:21 PM. Reason: Website issues!

Comment

• After a a year and 3 months of waiting, I get a letter from MhC stating that IAhas found me unsuitable for The position. They didn't go into detail and I have been calling IA to get better answers. Does anyone know a number that does not direct me to a voicemail.

CBPO SWB
                  Application: 3/28/12
                  Exam: 4/26/12
                  NOR: 5/25/12 (90 no vet)
                  TSL: 6/12/12
                  TSL2: 6/13/12
                  Eqip: clear 6/28/12
                  Fingerprint: 6/22/12
                  PreEmp forms: 9/6/12
                  Quals: GS7 8/28/12
                  PFT1: 7/12/12 (complete 7/17/12)
                  Med: 7/24/12 (complete 8/14/12)
                  VBT/SI: 7/31/12 (complete 8/7/12)
                  Polygraph: 9/12/12 (P) 10/5/12 (P)
                  Drug test: 12/20/12 (P)
                  Background: Sent to security office 6/19/12

"To switch, or not to switch"

Comment

• Originally posted by Twink View Post
                    After a a year and 3 months of waiting, I get a letter from MhC stating that IAhas found me unsuitable for The position. They didn't go into detail and I have been calling IA to get better answers. Does anyone know a number that does not direct me to a voicemail.

That stinks. Did you fail the poly? or was it BI?
                    "Any nation that does not honor it's heroes will not long endure"
                    -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by FullMetal View Post
                      That stinks. Did you fail the poly? or was it BI?
                      It didn't say. I don't think it's the poly but then again I don't know. It doesn't specify and I took the poly twice and the agent said nothing up be worried about. I've lived a "boring" life and never been in any trouble. Heck I've never even got a driving ticket... So idk, feel lost because MHC doesn't know anything and I only speak to machines with IA
                      CBPO SWB

Comment

• Sorry not sure how everyone has their stuffed lined up underneath the profile but I just took and passed the PFT 2 for CBPO yesterday my EOD date is Sept 9 and I am headed to NM. Start FLETC Oct 15 anybody here in my class?
                        Test : Jul 2011
                        NOR: Aug 2011
                        Loc Change: Jan 2012
                        TSL: Feb 2012
                        E-Quip: Mar 2012
                        PFT 1 : Mar 2012
                        E Quip follow up: April 2012 (paperwork on my sister that was adopted from China)
                        Physical: April 2012
                        Lasik: May 2012 (placed on 6 month medical hold)
                        Polygraph: Feb 2013
                        BI: Mar 2013
                        DS delayed: April 2013(Daughter in Children's Hospital )
                        DS: Jun 2013
                        LOA: Jul 2013
                        PFT2: Aug 13 2012
                        EOD: Sept 9 2013
                        FLETC: Oct 15 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by SMUDGE07 View Post
                          Sorry not sure how everyone has their stuffed lined up underneath the profile but I just took and passed the PFT 2 for CBPO yesterday my EOD date is Sept 9 and I am headed to NM. Start FLETC Oct 15 anybody here in my class?

When did you recieve your tentative selection letter ?

Comment

• How does one receive a NOPA, apparently I was unsuitable due to my polygraph (which I was under the impression I was good) but never received a letter in the mail, just an email stating I was unsuitable. Anyone who has gone thru the same process please help! I'm not giving up that quickly
                            CBPO SWB

Comment

• Originally posted by Twink View Post
                              How does one receive a NOPA, apparently I was unsuitable due to my polygraph (which I was under the impression I was good) but never received a letter in the mail, just an email stating I was unsuitable. Anyone who has gone thru the same process please help! I'm not giving up that quickly
                              If it is a NOPA you would actually get it through snail mail with what was it they found and a timeline for you to reply.
                              An unsuitability finding for failing the POLY is some what final. You can try to fight it, but I doubt it will go anywhere.
                              Sorry if this is not what you were expecting to hear, but it is what it is. There's a reason why the POLY is not accepted in court, but it is a tool used in the process.

Best of luck in your future endeavors.
                              CBPO
                              Written: 08/29/2007
                              EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by yoda View Post
                                If it is a NOPA you would actually get it through snail mail with what was it they found and a timeline for you to reply.
                                An unsuitability finding for failing the POLY is some what final. You can try to fight it, but I doubt it will go anywhere.
                                Sorry if this is not what you were expecting to hear, but it is what it is. There's a reason why the POLY is not accepted in court, but it is a tool used in the process.

Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Thank you for the response. I guess being completely honest, truthful, and volunteering information that I felt was necessary caused me to become unsuitable. Sometimes I wonder if I didn't volunteer the information, would I have passed the poly. Oh well, it is what it is. Does this mean I am never allowed to apply or will I get an opportunity after an x amount of years? Good luck to everyone else, I'm going to take this experience with a grain of salt. I would have been a great asset to CPB, but everything happens for a reason.
                                CBPO SWB

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6883 users online. 182 members and 6701 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X