300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LiveToCompete View Post
    I am currently in the scheduling unit for the southwest border, but I am considering re-applying for Florida region as this is my home. But i'm wondering if I would have to do the application process all over (testing, medical, physical, etc.), also, if all of my documents did transfer that would put me higher on the list , so possibly a better chance to get hired? difficult decision as I do not want to waste the progress ive made so far.
    The answer to your question is in the current announcement.... Read it and you'll see.
    CBPO
    Written: 08/29/2007
    EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• Hey guys!
      I took my polygraph in NY a few weeks ago. I wasn't told whether I passed or failed just that I may need re-testing and that my results would be sent to QA for them to decide. How long does it usually take to find out if you passed/failed or schedule a second poly?

Comment

• Hey all, I got the call this morning, I was offered Calexico, San Ysidro, and a lot of Texas ports. I'd give you the names later when I get home. I'll eod sept 9 at SYS.
        Protecting America with Vigilance, Integrity, & Service

Comment

• Originally posted by Natedog36 View Post
          That sucks. I'm sorry Bud. I mean it's not the end of the world but i just feel like we should be somewhat rewarded since we went to college and got a degree. It's not fair that we are stuck with huge student loans, while a cashier from Walmart can come in and qualify for the same rank as us.
          Using education alone, a basic 4-year degree qualifies a person as an entry-level GS-05. Assuming that cashier from Wal-Mart has the required experience, he is as qualified as any other entry-level hire.

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveToCompete View Post
            I am currently in the scheduling unit for the southwest border, but I am considering re-applying for Florida region as this is my home. But i'm wondering if I would have to do the application process all over (testing, medical, physical, etc.), also, if all of my documents did transfer that would put me higher on the list , so possibly a better chance to get hired? difficult decision as I do not want to waste the progress ive made so far.
            No it will not put you higher on the list. I was in TSU (all green checks) for SWB when I reapplied in March of 2012 to a new geo of West Coast. After getting my NOR (using test score from my written in 2011) and getting a TSL, everything transferred over except my Background because under the March 2012 announcement, I now needed a poly which I didn't need when I got TSU the previous year. Anyways, there has been no movement for me for the new geo preference. I have seen, on the board, that calls have been going out for West Coast for people that have applied from scratch to the West Coast just last year. I thought I would be ahead of the game, but I wasn't. As yoda has said, it is a crap shoot. I was about to pull the trigger and reapply to East Coast, but it seems like I'd just be chasing the game. My point is, it doesn't matter if you're already in the process or have completed some of the steps, it has no baring on how quickly you will move through, all it means is you don't have to take another written.
            CBPO
            Geo - West Coast
            Exam - 10/12/11 San Diego
            NOR - 4/2/12
            TSL - 6/12/12
            PFT1 - green
            BI -
            Quals -
            VBT/SI - green
            Drug Screen - green

Comment

• Originally posted by TriumphST View Post
              Just wanted to drop a quick line to those who are trying their hardest to start a carrer with CBP. I have been with CBP for about 5 years now, and although I am trying my best to leave the Agency for an 1811 position, I can say that I am very fortunate to have this job/career. It is what you make of it. I definitely had my days when I hated it and to be honest those days came more often then the good ones, but after some time you learn to leave work behind, "clock out" and go home. Management will make or break it for you, but my advice is mind your business, dont worry about others and learn as much as you can untill you find your niche. I worked all shifts at my port from midnights to days, all holidays and weekends, but after some seniority, I was able to get on a close nit team where I was able to excell. This agency has a lot to provide and the salary is excellent, but as the old saying goes: "work to live, dont live to work". Good luck to all.

P.S. For those worried about GS5 v GS7. Dont worry, you will be making some serious money real soon...trust me. This agency will aways be undermanned, and although OT may decrease, it will NEVER
              go away.
              I wish I was as optimistic as to OT never 'going away'. I think it's a real enough outlook, at least for many in OFO.

Comment

• Originally posted by EASF View Post
                Hey all, I got the call this morning, I was offered Calexico, San Ysidro, and a lot of Texas ports. I'd give you the names later when I get home. I'll eod sept 9 at SYS.
                That is fantastic news!! Congrats! It's funny that you re-applied on Monday and got called today. I'm sooooo excited and I'm not even the one who got the call lol.

Now change your signature and let me see some more smiles on there!!

Comment

• Originally posted by seeOH View Post
                  Yoda and Merlin, how the heck are ya?

All, I am reading through and I can't help but shake my head at the thought of people changing locations this late in the game to try and bet on getting a spot in the NE or NW due to "critcal shortages." I am a little baffled that CBP would consider the NE or NW critical and not the SWB. Don't get me wrong, my POE has hired one, yes uno, Officer in over three years. We need Officers bad but we have been screaming this for a long time. Will they actually hire Officers up here? Maybe.

Another point to take into consideration for those who are possibly going to change their geographical preference... there are already hundreds if not... over a thousand people in TSU for the NW and NE locations. Those people will be hired first. I was hired in Sept of 2011 and I waited over three years.. closer to three and a half years. I know someone from the same test date that is in TSU and still has yet to receive a call. He just completed his third full background. If you applied to the SWB because you wanted to be hired quick and you are already in TSU.... I say stay there. If you are now just applying... sign up for where ever you would prefer to live and stick to it!

Just my two cents. Either way, as always, be patient and good luck to all you applicants. I look forward to meeting some of you down the road.

"Critical needs" has always been as much about the need to have a pool of available applicants as opposed to the need to actually put boots on the ground.

Having said that, I can buy into the idea that the next hiring push will move on past the SWB and into NW and NE ports.

Hiring is usually cyclic and the agency often hires in a few locations to the point of saturation and then moves on to areas of more immediate concern. The fact that many NW and NE ports have seen little if any hiring over the past few years to address attrition only pushes them closer to reaching 'priority status' within the agency. Then there's the issue of the 1850 additional CBPO positions authorized to be hired in FY14. Where those jobs are going is anybody's guess.

As far as switching location preferences go, that's always been a crap-shoot. It works for some, and screws with others. Personally, I think it's so situationally dependent on circumstance that I hesitate to offer blanket advice on the matter.

Comment

• Congrats EASF!! Weren't you just about to reapply? Lol.

I was scared calls had stopped going out for the SWB for a second there. Do you remember if they offered you El Paso or Fabens, by chance?
                    NOR: 8/1/2012 (95 - no vet)
                    TSL1: 8/14/2012
                    TSL2: 8/16/2012
                    PFT1: 9/17/2012
                    Poly: 11/14/2012
                    Drug Test: 12/7/2012
                    BI: cleared 12/2012
                    Quals: GS 7 cleared 5/29/2013
                    TSU: 5/29/2013

"The Call": 8/6/2013
                    EOD: 9/16/2013 - Brownsville, TX

Comment

• I received an Email recently and at the top it states something in regards to a NOPA can someone help me out I have a few questions in regards to it

Comment

• Crushed the pft2 ..... 1 person failed on the situps. Ridiculous in my opinion based on the standards. There were 30 people at the test and I have to say at least 15 of us are going to newark with another 7 or so going to Kennedy. Met some great future co-workers today.
                        CBPO Exam: 4/29/12
                        Geo: Central/East
                        NOR: 5/25/12 Score: 82
                        TSL:11/1/12
                        Med/PFT1: 12/2/12 Cleared
                        Qual: Cleared 12/8/12 GS-7
                        Poly 1: 1/22/13 Poly 2: 2/27/13 Poly 3: 4/16/13 Poly 4: 5/16/13 FINALLY PASSED
                        VBT/SI: 1/27/13 Cleared
                        Background: 5/20/13 Cleared
                        Met BI: 5/29/13
                        TSU: 6/13/13
                        Drug Test:6/12/13
                        PFT 2:
                        EOD: 8/19/13 Newark Airport FLETC: 9/16/13

Comment

• Originally posted by Technikal89 View Post
                          I received an Email recently and at the top it states something in regards to a NOPA can someone help me out I have a few questions in regards to it

More than a few people have experience with NOPAs around here.

Do tell us your tale.

Comment

• We are currently unable to give you a test session assignment for ORLANDO, FL. You will be contacted by the OPM office listed below with information concerning your scheduled test date. Within approximately 10 days, you will receive a Test Admission Notice telling you when and where to report for the written test.
                            So I guess I'm out of luck taking the test in Orlando? I'm hoping it'll somewhere close, because I'm not driving close to the border to take the test, which would be unfortuante.
                            CBP Officer

08/31/14-Tested
                            02/28/14-TSL Received
                            03/18/14-PFT1/MED
                            07/01/14-VBT/SI
                            07/19/14-EQUIP Submitted
                            07/22/14-Credit Report Pulled

Comment

• Sorry for the double post. Something is wrong with me editing my post. All I see is a grey box.

But upon further research it seems the class is full, which means my test date may change.
                              CBP Officer

08/31/14-Tested
                              02/28/14-TSL Received
                              03/18/14-PFT1/MED
                              07/01/14-VBT/SI
                              07/19/14-EQUIP Submitted
                              07/22/14-Credit Report Pulled

Comment

• Originally posted by cur679 View Post
                                So I guess I'm out of luck taking the test in Orlando? I'm hoping it'll somewhere close, because I'm not driving close to the border to take the test, which would be unfortuante.
                                Guess what Buddy? If you want this job, be prepared to make some serious sacrifices and travel out-of-state at YOUR own expense! If you aren't prepared to do that, then seriously reconsider. If you haven't noticed, a lot of people are taking their PFT2 many states away from their home. I had to travel out of state for my polygraph (this one was the biggest expense) and my written test. I had to wake up at 4:30am so that I could be ready and out the door in time to battle traffic going into NYC. If you have not heard of traffic in NYC or the Holland Tunnel, google it. I had to be at the testing center at 7am. The exam itself did not start until 8:30am and took almost 5 hours. They made us stand in the lobby for over an hour before sending us upstairs. It was seriously a mentally draining day to say the least, but I knew what I had to do to give myself a fighting chance and I was fully preared to do whatever it took.

My point? If you want this job, don't cherry pick. Just do what CBP tells you and if you aren't willing to, then happy trails. Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, but sugar coating helps no one.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9318 users online. 263 members and 9055 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X