Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TripleD View Post
    Wise choice E92,

San Diego is a dream, as noted by the city motto "America's Finest City". I've lived elsewhere and travel often for work. If I won the lottery, I'd live within 15 miles of where I live now. The caveat is the fact you need to win the lottery to live here. You'll be fine with GS-7 with the OT at SYS.
    Money will be tight the first couple of years living out here, but once you are up in the 75k range - it should be smooth sailing. Yes, it's expensive to live in San Diego, but there are plenty of reasonable places to live within your means. East County is probably going to be the best place to save money and live in a safe area.
    App (SWB): 3/14/12
    Test: 3/27/12
    NOR: 4/3/12 (95)
    TSL 1/2: 4/27/12
    Qualifications: (green check - GS7)
    Pre-emp forms: 5/5/12 (green check)
    PFT1: 6/1/12 (pass - green check)
    Medical: 6/18/12 (pass - green check) -
    sent medical update form 6/21/13
    VBT: 6/22/12 (pass - green check)
    Polygraph: 5/2013 (passed)
    Background: met with Investigator 5/2013 (cleared 6/25)
    Drug Test: 6/27/12 (check)
    Referred to scheduling unit: 7/2/13
    EOD: 9/3/13
    FLETC: 10/2/13

Comment

• Originally posted by Bees View Post
      Money will be tight the first couple of years living out here, but once you are up in the 75k range - it should be smooth sailing. Yes, it's expensive to live in San Diego, but there are plenty of reasonable places to live within your means. East County is probably going to be the best place to save money and live in a safe area.
      Maybe one day I can transfer to San Diego lol

Comment

Irving, and anyone else moving to SD....

While I don't have a lot of experience moving to SD on my own dime due to the fact the GOV moved me on a PCS, I've had friends who have. During pre-academy I'd stay in some sort of short term housing in the core of SD. You can move out after pre-academy and save some coin while at FLETC. Here is one example of the short-term housing I'm talking about, search for:

vantaggiosuites san diego

My buddy stayed at their Little Italy location and Loved it! The location is primo, and you'll understand right away why people love SD. There are a lot of international students at that location, so it's a good situation if you're single. If you're bringing a family or significant other I wouldn't recommend it due to the size of the units. Another pain in the arse is the parking.

I've heard that pre-academy is at Otay, so you WILL be driving daily because it is not well served by public transportation if you're far away. Also, Otay is an Industrial border area and I would not stay there. San Ysidro is a complete crap hole, do not stay there.

I have friends who work at both San Ysidro and Otay Mesa. Those who live in the Southern (Termed South Bay) part of the county say they plan on moving as soon as they can. If you live in South Bay you'll run into people you process on a regular basis when you're off duty.

I live in Mission Valley.... Awesome by most accounts if you're younger, single or have a small family. You cannot go wrong with the following locations either: Gas Lamp, Little Italy, most parts of Downtown, Mission Hills, La Jolla, Pt Loma (all expensive), parts of North Park and University Heights and UTC to name a few. If you require more room at a more reasonable price (who am I kidding, you won't find reasonable) consider La Mesa. It's a nice smaller town atmosphere on the uptick in a revitalization.

One more piece of advise for new Fed employees: Allocate at least %5 of your pay to TSP even if you think you can't afford it. It's one of the best things the Gov does for us. Once you pick up 9 or 11 try to bump it up for a tax shelter. On taxes in CA: The State will get their fair share of your check, I can assure you that.

It's getting long winded, so I'll shut up for now. Let me know if you have any questions.
        Thanks for the heads up. I had my TSP at 3%, but after reading this I changed it to 5%. The savings nearly doubled, lol.
        Geo:SWB
        CBPO Exam:08/2/11
        TSl 1 & 2: 11/14/11 & 11/25/11
        Medical & Pft1:12/10/11 Passed
        VBT/SI: 5/10/12 Passed
        Drug Test: 7/12/12 Passed
        Qual: (GS-7) Cleared 8/12/12
        Poly 1 & 2: 9/26/12 & 11/8/12 Passed
        BI: Met investigator on 12/6 Complete on 3/26/13
        TSU: 3/28/13
        EOD: 8/12/13 (Brownsville, TX)
        FLETC: 9/13/13

Comment

Irving, and anyone else moving to SD....

While I don't have a lot of experience moving to SD on my own dime due to the fact the GOV moved me on a PCS, I've had friends who have. During pre-academy I'd stay in some sort of short term housing in the core of SD. You can move out after pre-academy and save some coin while at FLETC. Here is one example of the short-term housing I'm talking about, search for:

vantaggiosuites san diego

My buddy stayed at their Little Italy location and Loved it! The location is primo, and you'll understand right away why people love SD. There are a lot of international students at that location, so it's a good situation if you're single. If you're bringing a family or significant other I wouldn't recommend it due to the size of the units. Another pain in the arse is the parking.

I've heard that pre-academy is at Otay, so you WILL be driving daily because it is not well served by public transportation if you're far away. Also, Otay is an Industrial border area and I would not stay there. San Ysidro is a complete crap hole, do not stay there.

I have friends who work at both San Ysidro and Otay Mesa. Those who live in the Southern (Termed South Bay) part of the county say they plan on moving as soon as they can. If you live in South Bay you'll run into people you process on a regular basis when you're off duty.

I live in Mission Valley.... Awesome by most accounts if you're younger, single or have a small family. You cannot go wrong with the following locations either: Gas Lamp, Little Italy, most parts of Downtown, Mission Hills, La Jolla, Pt Loma (all expensive), parts of North Park and University Heights and UTC to name a few. If you require more room at a more reasonable price (who am I kidding, you won't find reasonable) consider La Mesa. It's a nice smaller town atmosphere on the uptick in a revitalization.

One more piece of advise for new Fed employees: Allocate at least %5 of your pay to TSP even if you think you can't afford it. It's one of the best things the Gov does for us. Once you pick up 9 or 11 try to bump it up for a tax shelter. On taxes in CA: The State will get their fair share of your check, I can assure you that.

It's getting long winded, so I'll shut up for now. Let me know if you have any questions.
          Awesome. Thanks man. I really appreciate it. I haven't been called yet, but I suspect that it is coming soon (8/12 TSL, been in TSU since 5/13). I prefer El Paso/Fabens, but that doesn't seem to be an option for many people lately. San Diego would be a change for me, in that I've never lived outside of Texas.

I've done most of my research on city-data.com and some apartment websites. I thought that Chula Vista/Imperial Beach (South Bay) would be the place for me, but your advice really helps me see things differently lol.
          NOR: 8/1/2012 (95 - no vet)
          TSL1: 8/14/2012
          TSL2: 8/16/2012
          PFT1: 9/17/2012
          Poly: 11/14/2012
          Drug Test: 12/7/2012
          BI: cleared 12/2012
          Quals: GS 7 cleared 5/29/2013
          TSU: 5/29/2013

"The Call": 8/6/2013
          EOD: 9/16/2013 - Brownsville, TX

Comment

• hey bees, turn your private messages on.

i'd like to get in contact with you as we have close EOD's
            tested in San Diego- SWB, 10/11
            NOR-11/11
            TSL- 11/17/11
            pft1- 12/8/11
            Pre-E Forms-completed 3/12
            Qual- completed 3/12
            Medical Ex- completed 4/12
            S I-completed 3/12
            Drug Screening- completed 6/7/12
            Background Investigation- met with BI 6/5/13
            Fitness- completed 12/12

EOD- 9/9/13 SYS
            Fletc- 10-15-13, class 338
            new fletc date- 11-18-13

SYS CBPO 4-1-2014

Comment

• Congrats on everybody lately getting great news!

as for me....waiting, waiting and more waiting
              CBPO
              Geo: SWB
              Written: 8/28/12
              NOR: 9/12 93%
              TSL 1+2: 9/12
              Medical + PFT-1: 10/12
              VBT + SI: 11/12
              case sent to IA: 12/27/12
              Qualifications: 2/22/13 GS-5
              Poly: ?
              BI: ?

BPA
              Written: 3/20/13
              NOR: 5/17/13 - 90%

Comment

• Hello guys, congratulations & good luck to everyone of you who got the call!!! BTW, I found it weird that yesterday I received an email about my medical status, saying that I have to do the MSC form.. Question...Ins't that supposed to be done after one year mark of your medical? Or is it that I might be getting the call soon? I have a 2012 July's TSL. (wondering)
                Protecting America with Vigilance, Integrity, & Service

Comment

• Originally posted by EASF View Post
                  BTW, I found it weird that yesterday I received an email about my medical status, saying that I have to do the MSC form.. Question...Ins't that supposed to be done after one year mark of your medical? Or is it that I might be getting the call soon? I have a 2012 July's TSL. (wondering)
                  I didn't get the one year medical form. However, I did get a second medical appointment after just shy of two years.
                  Gek.

Comment

Hello guys, congratulations & good luck to everyone of you who got the call!!! BTW, I found it weird that yesterday I received an email about my medical status, saying that I have to do the MSC form.. Question...Ins't that supposed to be done after one year mark of your medical? Or is it that I might be getting the call soon? I have a 2012 July's TSL. (wondering)
                    My friend just had that happen. They contacted him for a med re-cert 2-3 months early and the following week (yesterday) he got the call for BPA. (he was in TSU for both BPA &CBPO).

He did ask them how far they were with the CBPO TSL's and all they could tell him was that they were not at his name yet. He has a Sep 12 TSL for CBPO and May 12 TSL for BPA.
                    Last edited by Amac ; 07-24-2013, 04:58 PM. Reason: May 12 not mar 12
                    CBPO Timeline
                    Tested: 7/21/2012 Geo Pref SE
                    TSL: 09/12/12
                    Switched Geo Pref SWB: 8/22/2012
                    TSU: 4/22/13
                    PFT 2: 10/8/13
                    EOD: 11/4/13 Brownsville, TX
                    FLETC: 12/10/13 - ?
                    BPA Timeline
                    Test: 03/16/13
                    NOR: 05/17/13 (101)
                    GEO Pref: South Texas
                    TSL1: 06/21/13
                    PFT1:
                    Qual: 08/13/13 GL9
                    Med: 3/2013
                    Interview: 9/26/13
                    EQUIP: 9/24/2012
                    BI Investigator: 4/2/13
                    Poly: 3/19/13
                    Drug Screen: 4/19/13

Comment

• Originally posted by Drifting View Post
                      I'm happy to see all these reports of calls going out.

I just got a receipt for my paperwork for medical review #2. Let's see if that clears before my background investigation from over two years ago.

Yikes, that's a hot minute of waiting on BI clearance. Good luck! My medical clearance expired as well and I was contacted for self-certification. Looks like I won't be getting my call this week...not until I'm cleared by the medical review team again. But I know the call is coming...I feel it in my bones!

Comment

Hello guys, congratulations & good luck to everyone of you who got the call!!! BTW, I found it weird that yesterday I received an email about my medical status, saying that I have to do the MSC form.. Question...Ins't that supposed to be done after one year mark of your medical? Or is it that I might be getting the call soon? I have a 2012 July's TSL. (wondering)
                        Not necessarily. Mine happened shortly before, but it is different for everyone. I am just happy they are keen on keeping abreast with what's expiring for us...at least our files are not becoming dusty relics at MHC lol. It would be a lot better if we didn't have to go through the hassle of dealing with expiring clearance, but ah well...it can't always be perfect, right?

Comment

• Can't wait for Stoneface to get a call!!!
                          Geo:SWB
                          CBPO Exam:08/2/11
                          TSl 1 & 2: 11/14/11 & 11/25/11
                          Medical & Pft1:12/10/11 Passed
                          VBT/SI: 5/10/12 Passed
                          Drug Test: 7/12/12 Passed
                          Qual: (GS-7) Cleared 8/12/12
                          Poly 1 & 2: 9/26/12 & 11/8/12 Passed
                          BI: Met investigator on 12/6 Complete on 3/26/13
                          TSU: 3/28/13
                          EOD: 8/12/13 (Brownsville, TX)
                          FLETC: 9/13/13

Comment

• Originally posted by Pointman8 View Post
                            Can't wait for Stoneface to get a call!!!
                            Awww that is so sweet! You definitely know how to make a girl feel special, Pointman!

Thank you for you unwavering support and encouragement. This pre-employment process is definitely tedious and it can fray the nerves of even the mentally strong. But it certainly helps to know that when I'm running low on steam to keep cheering myself on, there are good people like you on the sidelines cheering us on. Thank you, thank you and thank you!
                            Last edited by StoneFace; 07-24-2013, 02:39 PM. Reason: Pointman made me grin ear to ear and I made a typo!

Comment

• StoneFace, what was your TSL date? Did you apply to the SWB? I imagine that all of us in TSU will be called soon enough...
                              NOR: 8/1/2012 (95 - no vet)
                              TSL1: 8/14/2012
                              TSL2: 8/16/2012
                              PFT1: 9/17/2012
                              Poly: 11/14/2012
                              Drug Test: 12/7/2012
                              BI: cleared 12/2012
                              Quals: GS 7 cleared 5/29/2013
                              TSU: 5/29/2013

"The Call": 8/6/2013
                              EOD: 9/16/2013 - Brownsville, TX

Comment

• Originally posted by IrvingAg13 View Post
                                StoneFace, what was your TSL date? Did you apply to the SWB? I imagine that all of us in TSU will be called soon enough...

February 2012, I tested in 2011. Yah, SWB. I originally applied for Central East Coast and was asked to change because the catch phrase from MHC was "faster processing since the need is greater in the SWB," so I switched Geo. I would imagine so too... especially with the purported mass hiring in the works.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13583 users online. 494 members and 13089 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X