300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
    There is a real chance that your second offer will be no more to your liking than the first offer.

Out of curiousity, what NB ports would you be willing to accept? Many if not most NB ports are a fair distance from places of 'significant population'...especially if one defines 'significant population' as a city of meaningful size or relevance.
    I was really hoping for Washington state or western Montana. Somewhere where there's at least a chance of getting housing. I've been looking around the area of Grand Portage and spoke with those officers and they told me a couple of officers had to live in their car for a while and then buy a trailer to have somewhere to live.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zhunter View Post
      I was thinking Bout emailing them and trying to change ports too. Can I have their email address?
      I just replied to the original contingent offer email, and they gave me a call right back. It's a huge transition from East to West coast, so give it a shot to try to be comfortable since transferring probably isn't that easy initially

Comment

• Originally posted by E92_M3 View Post
        I just replied to the original contingent offer email, and they gave me a call right back. It's a huge transition from East to West coast, so give it a shot to try to be comfortable since transferring probably isn't that easy initially
        Yeah same with me. Huge transition from Las Vegas to Northern Minnesota. I just sent them an email. Hopefully they will contact me back with some different ports. Did you academy date change?

Comment

I was really hoping for Washington state or western Montana. Somewhere where there's at least a chance of getting housing. I've been looking around the area of Grand Portage and spoke with those officers and they told me a couple of officers had to live in their car for a while and then buy a trailer to have somewhere to live.
          If housing is the main concern then you might be able to do better asking for Pembina off your old list. There are numerous small towns like Pembina, Wahalla, Cavalier, Drayton, Langdon, Grafton, Manvel, etc. roughly within a hour's drive of the port.
          It's also the largest port offered to you. It's also the only port offered nearest to anything resembling a city in the US...Grand Forks, ND...pop. 55K or so, roughly 70 miles south of the PoE. On the Canadaian side, Winnepeg is 70 miles north.

Comment

Yeah same with me. Huge transition from Las Vegas to Northern Minnesota. I just sent them an email. Hopefully they will contact me back with some different ports. Did you academy date change?
            Nope, PFT2 still July 31, EOD Aug 26th and Fletc Oct 2, hopefully I was started to get worried about living in middle of no where, I'm 25 don't want life to be over loll

Comment

So I emailed MHC requesting to change from Calexico to San Ysidro which wasn't offered when I accepted my original offer, and shockingly they agreed to change it. Being from New York City I at least wanted to be close to a big city in San Diego and beaches. San Diego is 25 mins from San Ysidro compared to two hours in Calexico. Calexico also looked pretty run down when I was doing research. Anybody doing pre academy Aug 26th in San Ysidro?
              That is so awesome that you were able to switch. I start pre academy 9/3 in San Ysidro. I know the port itself will be tough, but San Diego, in my opinion, is one of the best places in the country to live
              App (SWB): 3/14/12
              Test: 3/27/12
              NOR: 4/3/12 (95)
              TSL 1/2: 4/27/12
              Qualifications: (green check - GS7)
              Pre-emp forms: 5/5/12 (green check)
              PFT1: 6/1/12 (pass - green check)
              Medical: 6/18/12 (pass - green check) -
              sent medical update form 6/21/13
              VBT: 6/22/12 (pass - green check)
              Polygraph: 5/2013 (passed)
              Background: met with Investigator 5/2013 (cleared 6/25)
              Drug Test: 6/27/12 (check)
              Referred to scheduling unit: 7/2/13
              EOD: 9/3/13
              FLETC: 10/2/13

Comment

• Originally posted by Bees View Post
                That is so awesome that you were able to switch. I start pre academy 9/3 in San Ysidro. I know the port itself will be tough, but San Diego, in my opinion, is one of the best places in the country to live
                Yeah the port San Ysidro when I googled it said its busiest In the United States, just look at as opportunity for overtime and maybe promotion. Looking forward to learning San Diego area, I'll look for you at pre academy
                Last edited by E92_M3; 07-22-2013, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Yeah the port San Ysidro when I googled it said its busiest In the United States, just look at as opportunity for overtime and maybe promotion. Looking forward to learning San Diego area, I'll look for you at pre academy
                  I had the option to chose several California ports but was very afraid of how expensive it is down there. I have two kids and a wife so I have to be mindful of that in my choice. Overall I chose a port that is right next to the water, the 4th or 5th busiest port in the southwest and cost of living is very affordable - Brownsville, TX. I'm hearing pretty good things about it so far, lol. Can't wait to meet all of you who are attending FLETC!
                  Geo:SWB
                  CBPO Exam:08/2/11
                  TSl 1 & 2: 11/14/11 & 11/25/11
                  Medical & Pft1:12/10/11 Passed
                  VBT/SI: 5/10/12 Passed
                  Drug Test: 7/12/12 Passed
                  Qual: (GS-7) Cleared 8/12/12
                  Poly 1 & 2: 9/26/12 & 11/8/12 Passed
                  BI: Met investigator on 12/6 Complete on 3/26/13
                  TSU: 3/28/13
                  EOD: 8/12/13 (Brownsville, TX)
                  FLETC: 9/13/13

Comment

• I'm happy to see all these reports of calls going out.

I just got a receipt for my paperwork for medical review #2. Let's see if that clears before my background investigation from over two years ago.
                    Last edited by Drifting; 07-23-2013, 07:20 AM.
                    Gek.

Comment

• So looks like I'll still be attending the 10/2 class at FLETC. I changed my port from Grand Portage, MN to Opheim, MT. Hopefully I can do an officer swap ASAP.

Comment

So looks like I'll still be attending the 10/2 class at FLETC. I changed my port from Grand Portage, MN to Opheim, MT. Hopefully I can do an officer swap ASAP.
                        As I recall from my last trip through MT, Opheim has some fairly new government housing there...if that helps.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                          As I recall from my last trip through MT, Opheim has some fairly new government housing there...if that helps.
                          Yeah it does. That was one of the main reasons for me choosing there. There is absolutely nothing nearby and when I spoke with the officers there, there isn't much to do, but I will try to make the best of it. If I were to decline any of the offers they provided, I would have to reapply and possibly go through all the steps again. Hoping to transfer with an officer that wants to leave to a slower paced port.

Comment

Wise choice E92,

San Diego is a dream, as noted by the city motto "America's Finest City". I've lived elsewhere and travel often for work. If I won the lottery, I'd live within 15 miles of where I live now. The caveat is the fact you need to win the lottery to live here. You'll be fine with GS-7 with the OT at SYS.

Comment

• Thanks for the insight TripleD. Do the taxes an cost of living suck as bad as everyone says? Especially for somebody who would be coming from Texas.

What kind of housing were you looking at, starting out?
                              NOR: 8/1/2012 (95 - no vet)
                              TSL1: 8/14/2012
                              TSL2: 8/16/2012
                              PFT1: 9/17/2012
                              Poly: 11/14/2012
                              Drug Test: 12/7/2012
                              BI: cleared 12/2012
                              Quals: GS 7 cleared 5/29/2013
                              TSU: 5/29/2013

"The Call": 8/6/2013
                              EOD: 9/16/2013 - Brownsville, TX

Comment

• Originally posted by IrvingAg13 View Post
                                Thanks for the insight TripleD. Do the taxes an cost of living suck as bad as everyone says? Especially for somebody who would be coming from Texas.

What kind of housing were you looking at, starting out?
                                Irving, and anyone else moving to SD....

While I don't have a lot of experience moving to SD on my own dime due to the fact the GOV moved me on a PCS, I've had friends who have. During pre-academy I'd stay in some sort of short term housing in the core of SD. You can move out after pre-academy and save some coin while at FLETC. Here is one example of the short-term housing I'm talking about, search for:

vantaggiosuites san diego

My buddy stayed at their Little Italy location and Loved it! The location is primo, and you'll understand right away why people love SD. There are a lot of international students at that location, so it's a good situation if you're single. If you're bringing a family or significant other I wouldn't recommend it due to the size of the units. Another pain in the arse is the parking.

I've heard that pre-academy is at Otay, so you WILL be driving daily because it is not well served by public transportation if you're far away. Also, Otay is an Industrial border area and I would not stay there. San Ysidro is a complete crap hole, do not stay there.

I have friends who work at both San Ysidro and Otay Mesa. Those who live in the Southern (Termed South Bay) part of the county say they plan on moving as soon as they can. If you live in South Bay you'll run into people you process on a regular basis when you're off duty.

I live in Mission Valley.... Awesome by most accounts if you're younger, single or have a small family. You cannot go wrong with the following locations either: Gas Lamp, Little Italy, most parts of Downtown, Mission Hills, La Jolla, Pt Loma (all expensive), parts of North Park and University Heights and UTC to name a few. If you require more room at a more reasonable price (who am I kidding, you won't find reasonable) consider La Mesa. It's a nice smaller town atmosphere on the uptick in a revitalization.

One more piece of advise for new Fed employees: Allocate at least %5 of your pay to TSP even if you think you can't afford it. It's one of the best things the Gov does for us. Once you pick up 9 or 11 try to bump it up for a tax shelter. On taxes in CA: The State will get their fair share of your check, I can assure you that.

It's getting long winded, so I'll shut up for now. Let me know if you have any questions.
                                Last edited by TripleD; 07-23-2013, 02:40 PM. Reason: Mobile typing suks

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8670 users online. 446 members and 8224 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X