Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBP officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • So looks like I will be reporting to Grand Portage, Minnesota on 8/26/13 and starting the academy 10/2/13. I just got scheduled for my PFT2 For 8/2/13 in San Diego. Should be pretty easy since I'm used to running in Las Vegas. I know its a long shot, but is there anyone else reporting to Grand Portage?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by IrvingAg13 View Post
      flywheeler brings up something I've had a question about. What are y'all doing for pre-academy for housing? What do most people do? The obvious answer seems to be find an apt that will rent for a month, right?

      Also, what if you're in a really rural port like Presidio where there aren't many housing options? Does CBP offer housing or at least advice at such ports? Merlin might have to answer.
      There are some ports that provide government housing. For the vast majority of ports, you'll be largely on your own.

      If you're really in a bind, phone the port and ask for some suggestions. Most places will work at least on some level with you.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Rms16 View Post
        Yuma? That's a new one by me! I thought I knew all the possible AZ ports. Anybody else heard of a port in Yuma?
        Yuma International Airport?

        My guess is that Yuma is as a practical matter controlled by San Luis. Whether a direct hire into Yuma would stay and be stationed in Yuma, I don't know. I'm thinking there's a real chance of a San Luis dominated worksite.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by OKfemale View Post
          I have a question, Merlin might have to answer it. Is there a certain number of females that have to be in each academy class if possible? I'm not sure how some of you have waited 2+ years, but I give you props! Lol This waiting process is rough and I started to get discouraged today and then I looked on here and saw that a new academy class was being called. Helped brighten the moment a little. Lol Thanks in advance for any info you might have on my question.
          Good question. I wish I had a good answer.

          I can't recall a class that totally lacked any females. I also can't recall of a class that was put on hold until a set number of females was reached.

          I can tell you that females represent 18-19% of the CBPO workforce.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
            Yuma International Airport?

            My guess is that Yuma is as a practical matter controlled by San Luis. Whether a direct hire into Yuma would stay and be stationed in Yuma, I don't know. I'm thinking there's a real chance of a San Luis dominated worksite.
            Besides the Airport, there is no Port of Entry in Yuma. And the original poster would not have been offered Yuma airport, it is manned by Officers with many years of seniority. Yuma is where majority of San Luis Officers live.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by ftwheeler99 View Post
              I'm not totally disagreeing with your above statements, just the part about the "real LEO" stuff. CBP Officers enforce federal law, be it immigration, customs/imports or narcotics/contraband. It is indeed different than what folks think of when it come to your typical state law enforcement "cop". If that's what you're looking for, this is not it, no speeding tickets here. But, as is the case with all law enforcement, our work is 99% slow and 1% crazy busy. At least here in Nogales, I have put more dope on the table and arrested more people in one year than in 5 years as a county sheriffs deputy. Different, but definitely LEO work.
              It's admirable that your sticking up for the agency but the work at CBP is more akin to TSA than it is to any other law enforcement agency, federal, state or local that's coming from someone that has been in TSA, CBP and a local department. You'll definitely see narcotics seizures in amounts a street cop could never dream of and you'll get to put cuffs on more people at CBP with the number of imps and ewi's at the land borders but as a former deputy I'm sure your familiar with the reports that go along with making an arrest versus "arresting" an imposter at the poe. Any cop will tell you the job is 95% paperwork and I did more reports in my first month on the street than I did in 2 years at CBP and my gqiq had way more results than the guys in my class that went to Nogales. If you enjoy the work at CBP its a great gig I honestly wish I did I took a good size pay cut to leave but working in a booth or in the vs lot asking them same questions a 1,000 times a day wasn't for me, I was just a poor fit as a CBP Officer and I try to share my experience to prospective Officers so they can really know what they're signing up for.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Zhunter View Post
                So looks like I will be reporting to Grand Portage, Minnesota on 8/26/13 and starting the academy 10/2/13. I just got scheduled for my PFT2 For 8/2/13 in San Diego. Should be pretty easy since I'm used to running in Las Vegas. I know its a long shot, but is there anyone else reporting to Grand Portage?
                After reading your assignment, it answered a question that arose, who was going to Grand Portage? The reason I knew SOMEONE was/is going there is due to a typo in my Contingent Letter of Acceptance. Here's the text that I received:

                "Attached is the letter that confirms your acceptance of the Customs and Border Protection Officer (CBPO) position, pending successful completion of the secondary fitness test (PFT2).



                For more information on your port of Grand Portage, MN, "

                As you can see, they forgot to delete the last line when they sent my letter! LOL

                Comment


                • Originally posted by 66Pony View Post
                  After reading your assignment, it answered a question that arose, who was going to Grand Portage? The reason I knew SOMEONE was/is going there is due to a typo in my Contingent Letter of Acceptance. Here's the text that I received:

                  "Attached is the letter that confirms your acceptance of the Customs and Border Protection Officer (CBPO) position, pending successful completion of the secondary fitness test (PFT2).



                  For more information on your port of Grand Portage, MN, "

                  As you can see, they forgot to delete the last line when they sent my letter! LOL
                  I think I got your letter as well! They sent me my letter then I received another email with your letter LOL are you going to Newark?
                  Last edited by Zhunter; 07-14-2013, 09:43 PM.

                  Comment


                  • No Newark for me. I've got Charleston, SC.

                    Comment


                    • Anyone eod'ing at Newark?
                      CBPO Exam: 4/29/12
                      Geo: Central/East
                      NOR: 5/25/12 Score: 82
                      TSL:11/1/12
                      Med/PFT1: 12/2/12 Cleared
                      Qual: Cleared 12/8/12 GS-7
                      Poly 1: 1/22/13 Poly 2: 2/27/13 Poly 3: 4/16/13 Poly 4: 5/16/13 FINALLY PASSED
                      VBT/SI: 1/27/13 Cleared
                      Background: 5/20/13 Cleared
                      Met BI: 5/29/13
                      TSU: 6/13/13
                      Drug Test:6/12/13
                      PFT 2:
                      EOD: 8/19/13 Newark Airport FLETC: 9/16/13

                      Comment


                      • Haven't posted in awhile but happy to see ppl are getting calls again. Everything for me seemed to have been going quickly, then after the drug test (which I passed in Dec) I haven't heard anything else. Still waiting for a Bi to contact me. I've lived a pretty boring life so I can't understand why it's taking long, lol... Anyways, ill be patiently waiting along with everyone else. Good luck everyone :-)
                        CBPO SWB
                        Application: 3/28/12
                        Exam: 4/26/12
                        NOR: 5/25/12 (90 no vet)
                        TSL: 6/12/12
                        TSL2: 6/13/12
                        Eqip: clear 6/28/12
                        Fingerprint: 6/22/12
                        PreEmp forms: 9/6/12
                        Quals: GS7 8/28/12
                        PFT1: 7/12/12 (complete 7/17/12)
                        Med: 7/24/12 (complete 8/14/12)
                        VBT/SI: 7/31/12 (complete 8/7/12)
                        Polygraph: 9/12/12 (P) 10/5/12 (P)
                        Drug test: 12/20/12 (P)
                        Background: Sent to security office 6/19/12


                        "To switch, or not to switch"

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by 4GodnCntry View Post
                          Besides the Airport, there is no Port of Entry in Yuma. And the original poster would not have been offered Yuma airport, it is manned by Officers with many years of seniority. Yuma is where majority of San Luis Officers live.
                          10-04. I wasn't sure as to what presence we had there with regards to the military installations or whatever.

                          As far as offers go, it wouldn't be the first time somebody associated with hiring pulled up a port code that primarily exists only on paper and attempted to hire for it. It also wouldn't be the first time a street hire was placed in a location that is usually filled by seniority from within the local officer complement.

                          Comment


                          • Can I get an honest opinion/statement. I am going to reapply to the announcement that is suppose to come out at the end of the month. Previously I applied for the SW Border but got DQ'd for failure to submit my medical paperwork on time when they requested additional info. If in the future I did get a position on the border, what is a realistic time frame that I would be able to transfer back to civilization, ie somewhere not on the border. I wouldn't mind waiting 3-5 years but if it would be significantly longer maybe I would be better off applying to a different geographical location. Again if could get an honest answer from someone that has gone through the processes of working on the border and transferred elsewhere or someone who has the general knowledge. I would appreciate any and all insight.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                              Yuma International Airport?

                              My guess is that Yuma is as a practical matter controlled by San Luis. Whether a direct hire into Yuma would stay and be stationed in Yuma, I don't know. I'm thinking there's a real chance of a San Luis dominated worksite.
                              Thanks for the response Merlin, I was thinking the same. I had done a lot of research into ports that had been offered to SWB applicants in AZ being I will be going to AZ and had never heard of Yuma being offered. Figured it would most likely be controlled by San Luis and most newbies would not see a lot of time there.
                              NYPD Exam: 3310 9/12
                              Score:9X.XX%
                              List#2XX 5/2013

                              NCPD Exam: 2000 12/12

                              PAPD Exam: 6/13 Qualified

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                                Good question. I wish I had a good answer.

                                I can't recall a class that totally lacked any females. I also can't recall of a class that was put on hold until a set number of females was reached.

                                I can tell you that females represent 18-19% of the CBPO workforce.
                                Thank you for your response Merlin. I was just curious because when I applied there was I think it was called Title 5 in act and they needed women. I believe I went thru the process really fast because I'm a female, but I was wondering if that would come into play now. Tough question I know. Lol Thanks again for your response. Hopefully the calls continue to go out.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 17349 users online. 453 members and 16896 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X