300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bees View Post
    I read on the BP forum that agents can not work at a station within 100 miles of their home address when first hired....

Does anyone know if this is the same for CBP?
    Not currently.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pointman8 View Post
      Finding it difficult to find an affordable car rental for the month that I'm in Pre-academy. Anybody got any suggestions (Besides riding a bicycle, lol).
      Another thought on you rental woes...

Have you actually contacted rental companies on the the ground in Brownsville, explained your situation and asked about a long-term rental?

I know Enterprise offer rentals by the month. I also know that I had a National rental on my last temporary assignment to Arizona (62 days). National was excellent to me, no complaints there.

I'd also look at broadening the search parameters out a bit to include McAllen, C.C., San Antonio, Houston, Austin, etc. on the hunt for the best price. I don't know how you plan on getting to your port initially for the start of pre-academy, but I can tell you that the agency doesn't care which airport they fly you from on your way to the academy...as long as that flight is equal to/cheaper than what a flight from Brownsville costs.

If you can get a substantially cheaper rental in say, Houston...it might be worth the effort to arrange a Houston flight to the academy, pick up a Houston vehicle, use it, when you're finished drop it off in Houston and leave from there to the academy.
      Last edited by merlin436; 07-04-2013, 12:20 PM.

Comment

• Thanks Merlin. I've found the cheapest possible price with Dollar Rent a car. We'll go with them. I figured that I have some extra money coming to me before I leave so I think we'll be fine financially. It's only for one month so we'll manage.
        Geo:SWB
        CBPO Exam:08/2/11
        TSl 1 & 2: 11/14/11 & 11/25/11
        Medical & Pft1:12/10/11 Passed
        VBT/SI: 5/10/12 Passed
        Drug Test: 7/12/12 Passed
        Qual: (GS-7) Cleared 8/12/12
        Poly 1 & 2: 9/26/12 & 11/8/12 Passed
        BI: Met investigator on 12/6 Complete on 3/26/13
        TSU: 3/28/13
        EOD: 8/12/13 (Brownsville, TX)
        FLETC: 9/13/13

Comment

• Just a heads up to all the potential applicants know what your signing up for the money and opportunity to move around and promote are great in OFO they have a higher ratio of first line supervisors to officers than the majority of law enforcement agencies so more spots to promote to, shift differentials are 3x more than your going to get with state or local agencies and the job is only as hard as you make it with very little responsibility as a basic Officer. The bad, you do little to no real law enforcement work other than narco seizures and the occasional DUI you turn over to a real LEO you will rarely be involved in anything that will require any sort of real report. This can limit your chance to gain experience that could help you get a position with a more desirable agency position like an 1811 spot. There are some really squared away Officers and some slugs which is to be expected in any agency the size of CBP but wait times are the priority of the agency not officer safety, morale or enforcement. My biggest suggestion is to talk to current officers and ask them if they like they're job and more importantly why. If you are going to the southern border I would suggest looking into BP they get to do they're own investigations ,unlike OFO where that is reserved for the small CEU unit, and they do much more work cooperating with other law enforcement agencies. So if you just want the badge, gun and money OFO is a great landing spot but if your taking the job because you want to be a LEO and do real LEO work you may want to expand your search to other agencies. Just speaking from what I've seen firsthand take it with a grain of salt and check for yourself. Seen a lot of guys just out of post academy quit after they learned what they were really going to be doing for the next 20+ years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Firebug View Post
            It is 1.7% for each year for the 20 years. If you put in more than 20 it reverts back to the 1% for each year over the 20 year mark.

FB
            Not entirely true you can retire at 25 years of service at any age or 57 with the mandatory 20 years but all of your time is calculated at 1.7 either way, the 20 year limit at the higher rate applied to employees covered by CSRS and they got 2.5 for the first 20 years.

Comment

• Cass updated: Referred to scheduling unit....
              App (SWB): 3/14/12
              Test: 3/27/12
              NOR: 4/3/12 (95)
              TSL 1/2: 4/27/12
              Qualifications: (green check - GS7)
              Pre-emp forms: 5/5/12 (green check)
              PFT1: 6/1/12 (pass - green check)
              Medical: 6/18/12 (pass - green check) -
              sent medical update form 6/21/13
              VBT: 6/22/12 (pass - green check)
              Polygraph: 5/2013 (passed)
              Background: met with Investigator 5/2013 (cleared 6/25)
              Drug Test: 6/27/12 (check)
              Referred to scheduling unit: 7/2/13
              EOD: 9/3/13
              FLETC: 10/2/13

Comment

Cass updated: Referred to scheduling unit....
                Nice! Congrats bro

Comment

Cass updated: Referred to scheduling unit....
                  Congrats. My CASS got updated too (for the second time in a week). The bad news, NOW the medical is pending.....again! Fortunately it's a self certification. I don't know why it just showed up as pending. I emailed it to them several days ago. Next to go from complete back to pending? Drug screening...mark my words!

p.s. Since it is now July I have "officially" been in the process for 5 years now!

Comment

• For people entering FLETC do you guys know your class numbers yet. I was told mine is 335.
                    CBPO Exam: 4/29/12
                    Geo: Central/East
                    NOR: 5/25/12 Score: 82
                    TSL:11/1/12
                    Med/PFT1: 12/2/12 Cleared
                    Qual: Cleared 12/8/12 GS-7
                    Poly 1: 1/22/13 Poly 2: 2/27/13 Poly 3: 4/16/13 Poly 4: 5/16/13 FINALLY PASSED
                    VBT/SI: 1/27/13 Cleared
                    Background: 5/20/13 Cleared
                    Met BI: 5/29/13
                    TSU: 6/13/13
                    Drug Test:6/12/13
                    PFT 2:
                    EOD: 8/19/13 Newark Airport FLETC: 9/16/13

Comment

• Originally posted by NewLA1time10_8 View Post
                      Just a heads up to all the potential applicants know what your signing up for the money and opportunity to move around and promote are great in OFO they have a higher ratio of first line supervisors to officers than the majority of law enforcement agencies so more spots to promote to, shift differentials are 3x more than your going to get with state or local agencies and the job is only as hard as you make it with very little responsibility as a basic Officer. The bad, you do little to no real law enforcement work other than narco seizures and the occasional DUI you turn over to a real LEO you will rarely be involved in anything that will require any sort of real report. This can limit your chance to gain experience that could help you get a position with a more desirable agency position like an 1811 spot. There are some really squared away Officers and some slugs which is to be expected in any agency the size of CBP but wait times are the priority of the agency not officer safety, morale or enforcement. My biggest suggestion is to talk to current officers and ask them if they like they're job and more importantly why. If you are going to the southern border I would suggest looking into BP they get to do they're own investigations ,unlike OFO where that is reserved for the small CEU unit, and they do much more work cooperating with other law enforcement agencies. So if you just want the badge, gun and money OFO is a great landing spot but if your taking the job because you want to be a LEO and do real LEO work you may want to expand your search to other agencies. Just speaking from what I've seen firsthand take it with a grain of salt and check for yourself. Seen a lot of guys just out of post academy quit after they learned what they were really going to be doing for the next 20+ years.
                      Last edited by gijoeavila; 05-10-2018, 04:44 AM.

Comment

• I can't even get through to MHC to ask, tried calling the 952 number but it won't let me get through (says "the number you have dialed is incorrect") :-( What exact number are you using? They didn't send out any e-mails today like they were supposed to...wonder if a lot of people took today off to get a 4 day weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by 66Pony View Post
                          Congrats. My CASS got updated too (for the second time in a week). The bad news, NOW the medical is pending.....again! Fortunately it's a self certification. I don't know why it just showed up as pending. I emailed it to them several days ago. Next to go from complete back to pending? Drug screening...mark my words!

p.s. Since it is now July I have "officially" been in the process for 5 years now!
                          That's crazy, what region did you apply to? I don't get how it's possible to be waiting so long, what went wrong?

Comment

• Back then you didn't apply for a region, you applied for a specific city/location. What happened is a looong story. Let's just say they messed up and had to fix things. That cost me the opening they were hiring for and time. Add in the many hiring freezes, hiring for SW area only, things expiring and time adds up. I don't hold my breath for anything and just keep going on with my life. Whenever they contact me about doing something, I dutifully oblige and keep on rollin'. If/when I get hired, I get hired!

Comment

• Anyone have an email address for TSU? The reason I ask is because when I called I was told I had a report date of August 12th. However, cass says August 19th and when I received the initial call I was also told the 19th. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
                              CBPO Exam: 4/29/12
                              Geo: Central/East
                              NOR: 5/25/12 Score: 82
                              TSL:11/1/12
                              Med/PFT1: 12/2/12 Cleared
                              Qual: Cleared 12/8/12 GS-7
                              Poly 1: 1/22/13 Poly 2: 2/27/13 Poly 3: 4/16/13 Poly 4: 5/16/13 FINALLY PASSED
                              VBT/SI: 1/27/13 Cleared
                              Background: 5/20/13 Cleared
                              Met BI: 5/29/13
                              TSU: 6/13/13
                              Drug Test:6/12/13
                              PFT 2:
                              EOD: 8/19/13 Newark Airport FLETC: 9/16/13

Comment

• Greggyd1211, PM sent

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7085 users online. 370 members and 6715 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X