300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IrvingAg13 View Post
    Merlin, is this potentially sudden change due to Congress approving the 2013 Reprogramming Request? And I believe I heard that selection order goes by TSL date... what TSL dates do you think we could expect to see covered? Potentially all from the announcement last summer?
    It was DHS's 2014 budget proposal that outlined a plan to fund and hire an additional 3477 CBPO positions...for an overall total of 25,252 CBP Officers.

I'd say it's a pretty good bet that nearly everyone currently holding a TSL would see a job offer between now and 10/2014...assuming that they actually do bring on board 3500+ hires in the next 16 months.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bees View Post
      Hi Merlin,

Any idea what kind of issues would arise if I weren't able to attend my full pre-academy? If I were lucky enough to be called for the September class, I know for sure that I wouldn't be able to attend 2 weeks of the pre-academy if I were scheduled to EOD on August 12th.

Thanks.
      I'm a bit confused as to where you're going with everything. A few more details might help you get a more detailed answer.

If your asking about avoiding pre-academy altogether, I doubt that's possible...outside of some wildly unique situations. CBP implemented 'pre-academy' years back as a cost saving measure. From all views I've seen they have no desire to waive it. Way back when, there was no/minimal pre-academy time. People essentially graduated FLETC and reported to their port on day 1 without ever having seen the area/port. Pre-academy was their answer to those people who quit after the first week/month on the job. Give them the opportunity to stay on/leave the job without spending 10's of thousands in $$$ training them at FLETC first.

It appears that you have a short-term issue that would interfere with you attending pre-academy in August...correct? My guess is that they'd offer you one or more of the following options...

1. Give you a different EOD date and possibly a different starting academy date in September.
      2. Give you a deferment until such date as your issue(s) no longer apply, then call you back in the future with an offer.
      3. Give you a 'take-it-or-leave-it' offer and drop you from the process if you decline.

I'm guessing options 1 or 2 would be the most likely outcome...but I don't really know anything about your individual particulars.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
        I'm a bit confused as to where you're going with everything. A few more details might help you get a more detailed answer.

If your asking about avoiding pre-academy altogether, I doubt that's possible...outside of some wildly unique situations. CBP implemented 'pre-academy' years back as a cost saving measure. From all views I've seen they have no desire to waive it. Way back when, there was no/minimal pre-academy time. People essentially graduated FLETC and reported to their port on day 1 without ever having seen the area/port. Pre-academy was their answer to those people who quit after the first week/month on the job. Give them the opportunity to stay on/leave the job without spending 10's of thousands in $$$ training them at FLETC first.

It appears that you have a short-term issue that would interfere with you attending pre-academy in August...correct? My guess is that they'd offer you one or more of the following options...

1. Give you a different EOD date and possibly a different starting academy date in September.
        2. Give you a deferment until such date as your issue(s) no longer apply, then call you back in the future with an offer.
        3. Give you a 'take-it-or-leave-it' offer and drop you from the process if you decline.

I'm guessing options 1 or 2 would be the most likely outcome...but I don't really know anything about your individual particulars.
        From what I've seen, its more likely option 2 or 3.

Option 2 will occur if you haven't deferred one prior offer already.

Option 3 will occur if you have deferred one prior offer already.

This is a career, you have to attend all obligations, including pre-academy. If you can't manage to make it to this job's obligations (pre-academy), then apply to a future announcement when you are. That's the way it works. There are many people in limbo waiting in TSU, and many people that will be in TSU very soon. If you defer/deny the offer due to not being able to attend pre-academy, then MHC will offer the job to someone that can attend it.

Best Advice- Do what you have to do and make it work.

Comment

If you could tell me or PM me what you know about El Paso/Fabens/Columbus I would appreciate it. El Paso seems like a safe city and I've heard that most of the action these days is down in South Texas. I'd love to here your opinion on the matter, good or bad, because I never really here anything about West Texas. If you could give me any insight into the differences between the Texas ports that would be great.
          I cant seem to PM, so I'll just say that the El Paso area is decent. Of course that depends on what you are looking for. Columbus is an hour west of El Paso. Fabens about the same to the east. Both are small ports. If you are not familiar with border living its a little bit of culture shock, after the excitement of getting the job wears off. It is great training for moving on to an airport or some other immigration based job. There are so many people coming in with phony docs, etc. All in all I think it is kinda true unfortunately that the pay is what keeps you here. Dont get me wrong, I was dying to get this, and am super grateful I was given the chance, but it's not entirely what you perceive going into it. It's like anything else, It's what you make of it. I want to go back home, but I try not to obsess over it like some new officers do. That can ruin your time down here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Disoriented Guy View Post
            Graduated on Thursday from FLETC! Had a great time.... Learned lots and made good friends. See you guys on the line.
            Two more months!!!

Comment

If you could tell me or PM me what you know about El Paso/Fabens/Columbus I would appreciate it. El Paso seems like a safe city and I've heard that most of the action these days is down in South Texas. I'd love to here your opinion on the matter, good or bad, because I never really here anything about West Texas. If you could give me any insight into the differences between the Texas ports that would be great.
              I have lived here 23 years (all my life lol) and have been to all 3 you ask and have first hand experience. El Paso, Fabens, Columbus. As well as Santa Teresa and Las Cruces, NM. You can PM me with any questions you may have about anything you would want to know.
              CBPO
              Geo: SWB
              Written: 8/28/12
              NOR: 9/12 93%
              TSL 1+2: 9/12
              Medical + PFT-1: 10/12
              VBT + SI: 11/12
              case sent to IA: 12/27/12
              Qualifications: 2/22/13 GS-5
              Poly: ?
              BI: ?

BPA
              Written: 3/20/13
              NOR: 5/17/13 - 90%

Comment

• For the current CBPOs: any insights on The Brownsville port?
                Geo:SWB
                CBPO Exam:08/2/11
                TSl 1 & 2: 11/14/11 & 11/25/11
                Medical & Pft1:12/10/11 Passed
                VBT/SI: 5/10/12 Passed
                Drug Test: 7/12/12 Passed
                Qual: (GS-7) Cleared 8/12/12
                Poly 1 & 2: 9/26/12 & 11/8/12 Passed
                BI: Met investigator on 12/6 Complete on 3/26/13
                TSU: 3/28/13
                EOD: 8/12/13 (Brownsville, TX)
                FLETC: 9/13/13

Comment

• Originally posted by jsmith4816 View Post
                  Got my results from the VBT. I didn't pass. I was shocked. I don't know how. I was very polite and professional in every scenario. I have done many structured interviews with PD and felt very confident leaving this one. I guess its just not for me.

Just wanted to say thanks for the help guys and good luck. May all of you get the call you are waiting for!

Keep your head up!! Just reapply when they open the hiring announcement in July.
                  GEO: SWB
                  TSL 1 & 2: 4/5/13 & 5/1/13
                  Medical & PFT-1: 4/17/13 Passed
                  VBT/SI: 6/17/13 Passed
                  Qual: (GS-5) Cleared
                  Drug Test: Pending
                  BI: In security office
                  Poly: Pending
                  TSU: Pending

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                    How many weeks long is your local academy?

If you really want the job within CBP then I'd ask them about a possible deferment until you graduate from the local academy. I wouldn't be surprised if they were willing to accommodate you.
                    My local academy is something like 22 weeks long and Ive already taken my one 30 day deferment. I also already have the job with the county here. If they call me I probably am not going to be accepting unless they could defer me until my academy is done, Ill have to discuss it with them. Otherwise, I'm just going to reapply again here in july just in case I dont like the county stuff.

Thanks for the advice though.
                    CBPO:
                    Test- 05/12
                    NOR- 08/12 (95- w/5 point vet pref)
                    TSL1/2-08/12
                    PFT1/Med-09/12
                    VBT/SI-10/12
                    Poly-11/12
                    BI-12/12
                    TSU-01/24/13
                    1st "Call"-02/26/13- 30 day referral for a better selection

OCSO:
                    Applied- 06/12
                    PFT-07/12
                    CJBAT- 12/12
                    Panel Interview- 01/13
                    BI- in process

FBI
                    Phase two: probably never

Comment

• Deleted abcdefg
                      Last edited by gijoeavila; 05-10-2018, 05:46 AM.

Comment

• Deleted abcdefg
                        Last edited by gijoeavila; 05-10-2018, 05:45 AM.

Comment

• I received a letter yesterday stating I passed the VBT. One step closer!
                          Geo: Northwest GS-5
                          CBPO Exam: 08/12
                          TSL 1: 01/14/13
                          Quals: GS-5 Cleared 01/13
                          Medical/PFT1: 03/15/13 Passed
                          VBT/SI: 06/13 Passed
                          Drug Test: ???
                          Polygraph: 08/2013 Passed
                          TSL 2: 04/13
                          BI: In the security office
                          TSU: ???
                          EOD: ???

Comment

• Originally posted by jsmith4816 View Post
                            Got my results from the VBT. I didn't pass. I was shocked. I don't know how. I was very polite and professional in every scenario. I have done many structured interviews with PD and felt very confident leaving this one. I guess its just not for me.

Just wanted to say thanks for the help guys and good luck. May all of you get the call you are waiting for!

I'm sorry to hear it. Did the letter state whether or not you can apply again when there is an open period or have you been out right disqualified from further consideration? If you can reapply (and want to) definitely do it.

Listen, I say it often on this forum...don't give up until CBP gives up on you! IF this is your dream job, be determined and keep trying even if you fail. You can either throw in the towel, or use it to wipe the sweat off your face!

Comment

• Originally posted by gijoeavila View Post
                              Merlin ... even though my port is in Montana would they afford me the time to drive to glynco? Im a current fed so I do have a few weeks of annual leave built up. I really do not want to be there for 18 weeks with no vehicle. I remember going to FLETC for the BOP and the housing area having a million bikes everywhere.
                              I've been to Roosville. As you said, absolutely gorgous country. You'll pay a 'scenery tax' for that view though. The tourists and non-locals have driven up the costs of the area's real estate, et. al. It's quite rural, If you or your family are urbanites you'll find it a challenge. The nearest city of any size is Calgary, AB...and that's a good 4 hours away in the best of circumstances.
                              I imagine the nearest school is in Eureka. The nearest US towns of decent size are Whitefish and Kalispell, roughly an hour south of the port. Kalispell is pretty good size as far as MT towns go, and they have 'national' stores and business, like Walmart and McDonalds. The port is roughly 25 officers in size...so it's a cozy family sort of setting.

I'm guessing the port there would allow you to burn AL and drive to FLETC. It's quite the trek though. I hope your vehicle is up to the task, especially on the trip back...basically in mid-winter.

If I were you, I'd phone the port, explain your situation, and hit up somebody local with your questions. Last I was there, they were a good bunch of guys. I'm pretty sure somebody there would take the time to give you the basics of the area.
                              Last edited by merlin436; 06-23-2013, 01:58 PM. Reason: spelling errors and such

Comment

• Originally posted by gijoeavila View Post
                                Just got the call. Roosville Montana. Report August 12th.
                                Originally posted by Pointman8 View Post
                                Just got "The call" again. Brownsville, TX. Starting August, 12th. Academy starting September 13th. See all of you guys who are in TSU in the academy. GIjoevilla, stay by your phone, lol.
                                Congratulations!!! to both of you!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 14456 users online. 284 members and 14172 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X