300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pointman8 View Post
    4GodnCountry, thanks for the clarity. How does overtime work if you are doing overtime for a overnight shift? Lets say a 10-6 am shift. Do you get paid the regular double time since its overtime or do you get paid the double time along with the 20% overnight differential as well. Hope the question makes since, lol. Thanks in advance.

Oh, also for the Sunday pay. Are you saying that if your regular scheduled day of work is on Sunday that you get regular pay for that day or do you get time and a half for that do no matter if its your work day or not?
    If you are working Overtime on a night shift, you get paid regular overtime (no night differential included.)

Sunday pay is always time and a half. So if you are scheduled to work on a Sunday during your work week, you get time and a half. Then if you work another 8 hours for overtime on Sunday, you get double (for the second 8 hours.)

Comment

• Hello everybody,

Since you guys are talking about pay and salary, I'm wondering what would be the top pay for a CBPO? Would you reach top pay after 5 years? Lets say you start at GS-7, how long will it take you to get to the top pay scale (GS-12)? Also, I'm a little bit confused with the pay scale, does anybody mind explaining how does it work. If you start as GS-5 or 7, Do you start at step 1? how long does it take to get to the next step?

Thanks in advance!
      Protecting America with Vigilance, Integrity, & Service

Comment

• Assuming no future changes , the normal progression for a GS-05 each year would be...

05/01
        07/01
        09/01
        11/01
        12/01
        12/02
        12/03
        12/04
        12/04
        12/05
        12/05
        12/06
        12/06
        12/07
        12/07
        12/07
        12/08
        12/08
        12/08
        12/09
        12/09
        12/09
        12/10

With GS-12/10 being the salary for each year additional.

The same progression applies for starting as a GS-07. Start at the GS-07/01 level.

Comment

• Thanks Merlin & 4Godncountry. That's encouraging to know. Most jobs only pay time and a half so to get double time for overtime is super, lol. Makes me more excited to start this job a little bit more.
          Geo:SWB
          CBPO Exam:08/2/11
          TSl 1 & 2: 11/14/11 & 11/25/11
          Medical & Pft1:12/10/11 Passed
          VBT/SI: 5/10/12 Passed
          Drug Test: 7/12/12 Passed
          Qual: (GS-7) Cleared 8/12/12
          Poly 1 & 2: 9/26/12 & 11/8/12 Passed
          BI: Met investigator on 12/6 Complete on 3/26/13
          TSU: 3/28/13
          EOD: 8/12/13 (Brownsville, TX)
          FLETC: 9/13/13

Comment

• Hey Merlin,

It's funny, i was just reading one of your posts from last year (page 1253) that looks almost exactly like your last one .

Do you know if there will be another announcement for CBPO soon?

Thanks in advance.
            BPA
            Application Date: 09/11/2011
            Examination Date: 11/18/2011
            NOR: 11/29/2011 (95)
            TSL: 04/05/2012
            PFT1: 05/07/2012 Pass
            Med: 05/14/2012 Pass
            SI: 05/29/2012 Pass
            EQIP Updated: 07/17/2012
            BI: Clear
            PFT2: ?
            EOD?

Comment

• Originally posted by SeaSpider View Post
              Hey Merlin,

It's funny, i was just reading one of your posts from last year (page 1253) that looks almost exactly like your last one .

Do you know if there will be another announcement for CBPO soon?

Thanks in advance.
              Lot's of today's questions are repeats of questions asked and answered in the past.
              There's no sense in 're-inventing the wheel' when a simple cut-and-paste will work.

I haven't heard of the next CBPO announcement opening. If and when I do, I'll post it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pointman8 View Post
                Thanks Merlin & 4Godncountry. That's encouraging to know. Most jobs only pay time and a half so to get double time for overtime is super, lol. Makes me more excited to start this job a little bit more.
                Don't count on premium pay, especially overtime. We may see plenty of it...we may not.
                CBP has been actively slashing the OFO overtime budget for years now. Lots of ports see little enough overtime these days. The Agency has also put on a huge push to strip other CBP Offices of much of their OT, such as Border Patrol.

Plus, if DHS follows through with their plans to hire 3.5K additional CBP officers in FY14, there will be over 25,000 chicks in our nest. Virtually all of us will be trying to peck away at Uncle Sugar's overtime worm. Likely, that means less worm for all of us to eat.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                  Don't count on premium pay, especially overtime. We may see plenty of it...we may not.
                  CBP has been actively slashing the OFO overtime budget for years now. Lots of ports see little enough overtime these days. The Agency has also put on a huge push to strip other CBP Offices of much of their OT, such as Border Patrol.

Plus, if DHS follows through with their plans to hire 3.5K additional CBP officers in FY14, there will be over 25,000 chicks in our nest. Virtually all of us will be trying to peck away at Uncle Sugar's overtime worm. Likely, that means less worm for all of us to eat.
                  Wow, ok, that's not so exciting to hear, lol. I guess we'll just have to pray for the best for the future, but if the agency is gonna be at 25k that doesn't seem too promising for overtime.

I guess I'll just start waiting for an announcement for Port Director to come out when I'm hired, lol. Joking.
                  Geo:SWB
                  CBPO Exam:08/2/11
                  TSl 1 & 2: 11/14/11 & 11/25/11
                  Medical & Pft1:12/10/11 Passed
                  VBT/SI: 5/10/12 Passed
                  Drug Test: 7/12/12 Passed
                  Qual: (GS-7) Cleared 8/12/12
                  Poly 1 & 2: 9/26/12 & 11/8/12 Passed
                  BI: Met investigator on 12/6 Complete on 3/26/13
                  TSU: 3/28/13
                  EOD: 8/12/13 (Brownsville, TX)
                  FLETC: 9/13/13

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                    Assuming no future changes , the normal progression for a GS-05 each year would be...

05/01
                    07/01
                    09/01
                    11/01
                    12/01
                    12/02
                    12/03
                    12/04
                    12/04
                    12/05
                    12/05
                    12/06
                    12/06
                    12/07
                    12/07
                    12/07
                    12/08
                    12/08
                    12/08
                    12/09
                    12/09
                    12/09
                    12/10

With GS-12/10 being the salary for each year additional.

The same progression applies for starting as a GS-07. Start at the GS-07/01 level.
                    Thanks for explaining Merlin. It seems like it takes a long time to get top pay.. I'm trying to compare salary, benefits, and retirement between nypd and cbpo, which are my top choices at the moment. So far I think cbp is better in the long run.

Comment

• Originally posted by EASF View Post
                      Thanks for explaining Merlin. It seems like it takes a long time to get top pay.. I'm trying to compare salary, benefits, and retirement between nypd and cbpo, which are my top choices at the moment. So far I think cbp is better in the long run.
                      CBP is most definitely better than NYPD in the long run. With that said you should still take the NYPD exam. You never know what could happen. I'm kicking myself for waiting so long to take the NYPD exam. If you're in NY just a heads up there is and open exam for Port Authority officer now. I'm probably going to take it myself. I think you can sign up till june. I need to get on that myself.
                      NYPD Exam: 3310 9/12
                      Score:9X.XX%
                      List#2XX 5/2013

NCPD Exam: 2000 12/12

PAPD Exam: 6/13 Qualified

Comment

• well my friends, i just got back from my 4th polygraph and was told that i passed!! the sense of relief that i feel is amazing. i understand QC makes the final decision but i hear they rarely disagree with the examiners finding. Next stop FLETC?
                        CBPO Exam: 4/29/12
                        Geo: Central/East
                        NOR: 5/25/12 Score: 82
                        TSL:11/1/12
                        Med/PFT1: 12/2/12 Cleared
                        Qual: Cleared 12/8/12 GS-7
                        Poly 1: 1/22/13 Poly 2: 2/27/13 Poly 3: 4/16/13 Poly 4: 5/16/13 FINALLY PASSED
                        VBT/SI: 1/27/13 Cleared
                        Background: 5/20/13 Cleared
                        Met BI: 5/29/13
                        TSU: 6/13/13
                        Drug Test:6/12/13
                        PFT 2:
                        EOD: 8/19/13 Newark Airport FLETC: 9/16/13

Comment

• anybody know how long from the medical review till the next step? I already passed the VBT and sent in any requested medical documents for clearance. Blew the living hell out of the PFT1 nice sweat on the Step master, last month whats next how long till the next step I guess Background/ploygraph?

Comment

• If shift is after 2200 it is 20% if it is after 1100 it is 15% On Sunday it is always 50% unless it is an overtime shift or Holiday when it is 100%. You can look up COPRA pay and get more info. As Merlin said, you get one premium pay per, and it will be the highest rate. COPRA Pay has become a target for savings to the government.

[QUOTE=merlin436;3282859]As a rule of thumb...

Your 2200-0600 example is an interesting one. I've never worked that particular shift.
                            My guess...most of those shifts would be paid at 20% differential since the majority of the work hours fall within "midnight shift" hours. Where it probably gets tricky is those 2200-0600 shifts that fall on Sundays and holidays. I'm guessing those particular shifts see the either the 50% or 100% differential for the hours worked on the Sunday/holiday...and 20% differential for those hours worked otherwise.
                            Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

Comment

• Originally posted by jburgos7 View Post
                              anybody know how long from the medical review till the next step? I already passed the VBT and sent in any requested medical documents for clearance. Blew the living hell out of the PFT1 nice sweat on the Step master, last month whats next how long till the next step I guess Background/ploygraph?
                              I really wish that question was easier to answer. Unfortunately the process has no standard, is different for everyone, and the time it takes for each step is just a roll of the dice. I was told the background would take 12-18 months but mine was fast. From the time the investigator got my case to the green check mark in CASS was 3 weeks.
                              CBPO Timeline
                              Tested: 7/21/2012 Geo Pref SE
                              TSL: 09/12/12
                              Switched Geo Pref SWB: 8/22/2012
                              TSU: 4/22/13
                              PFT 2: 10/8/13
                              EOD: 11/4/13 Brownsville, TX
                              FLETC: 12/10/13 - ?
                              BPA Timeline
                              Test: 03/16/13
                              NOR: 05/17/13 (101)
                              GEO Pref: South Texas
                              TSL1: 06/21/13
                              PFT1:
                              Qual: 08/13/13 GL9
                              Med: 3/2013
                              Interview: 9/26/13
                              EQUIP: 9/24/2012
                              BI Investigator: 4/2/13
                              Poly: 3/19/13
                              Drug Screen: 4/19/13

Comment

• Originally posted by Rms16 View Post
                                CBP is most definitely better than NYPD in the long run. With that said you should still take the NYPD exam. You never know what could happen. I'm kicking myself for waiting so long to take the NYPD exam. If you're in NY just a heads up there is and open exam for Port Authority officer now. I'm probably going to take it myself. I think you can sign up till june. I need to get on that myself.
                                Hey Rms16, Same here, I should have taken the NYPD exam a long time ago, but I haven't yet. I'll definitely take it as soon as I can. BTW, thanks for telling me about PAPD, I already applied and Im taking the test at the end of this month. Good luck to you!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12190 users online. 452 members and 11738 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X