300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Twink View Post
    Anyone know why it's taking so long for me to hear from a BI? Seems like I moved along fairly quickly but haven't had any movement since Dec
    I know right.. Remember Nogales :-)

Comment

• How long are background Investigations good for? I just got my TSL 2 and fingerprint cards today. I had a completed background in the beginning of last year. Will I have to redo the whole investigation including meeting with an investigator? Thank you!
      GEO: SWB
      TSL 1 & 2: 4/5/13 & 5/1/13
      Medical & PFT-1: 4/17/13 Passed
      VBT/SI: 6/17/13 Passed
      Qual: (GS-5) Cleared
      Drug Test: Pending
      BI: In security office
      Poly: Pending
      TSU: Pending

Comment

• Originally posted by BPAHelibs22 View Post
        How long are background Investigations good for? I just got my TSL 2 and fingerprint cards today. I had a completed background in the beginning of last year. Will I have to redo the whole investigation including meeting with an investigator? Thank you!
        Did you take a polygraph? If not, you will have to as this is now mandatory. I'm not sure if you will have to go through another investigation, but my guess is yes. I am guesstimating because from their perspective, a lot could have happened in that year (hypothetically speaking of course) or they might just want to verify previous information. You will find out soon enough, best of luck.

Comment

• Called MHC this morning for an update. The lady told me that classes should start back soon. After we spoke for about a minute and I had some other questions for her she then told me that she knows just as much as we do. Huh??? Lol
          Geo:SWB
          CBPO Exam:08/2/11
          TSl 1 & 2: 11/14/11 & 11/25/11
          Medical & Pft1:12/10/11 Passed
          VBT/SI: 5/10/12 Passed
          Drug Test: 7/12/12 Passed
          Qual: (GS-7) Cleared 8/12/12
          Poly 1 & 2: 9/26/12 & 11/8/12 Passed
          BI: Met investigator on 12/6 Complete on 3/26/13
          TSU: 3/28/13
          EOD: 8/12/13 (Brownsville, TX)
          FLETC: 9/13/13

Comment

• Pointman, You get a sense that she was BSing you regarding starting classes soon?

Comment

• Originally posted by TripleD View Post
              Pointman, You get a sense that she was BSing you regarding starting classes soon?
              Very much so. I think she was just trying to get me off of the phone. I don't want be negative and I can't tell her intentions but it was just my sense that she just wanted to get rid of me so she said anything. You can't say classes are starting soon then 1 minute later you say you have no clue to what's going on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pointman8 View Post
                Very much so. I think she was just trying to get me off of the phone. I don't want be negative and I can't tell her intentions but it was just my sense that she just wanted to get rid of me so she said anything. You can't say classes are starting soon then 1 minute later you say you have no clue to what's going on.
                I called MHC on Friday and was told that they still have no timeline on when the next class would be scheduled but that they would call as soon as they have dates for us....

Comment

• @ current CBP officers: I see a lot of jobs labeled Container Security overseas in very nice countries such as Malaysia, France, and Portugal for journeyman GS-12-1895's. Can anyone enlightening me on how competitive these vacancies are and what's the probability of getting selected once you reach journeyman? Does CBP operate on the same accelerated promotion plan as BPA; promotion after 6 1/2 months?

Thanks,
                  The only easy day was yesterday. - BUDS Instructor

Comment

• Long time, no post!

Just logged into CASS and my Quals are showing as GS-5. Anyone know if there is a way to re-process as a 7? I have tons of work experience and I am halfway through Grad school. I picked a 5 originally because I thought it would give me a better opportunity to get on, but that is still undecided.

Got a buddy in ICE who says hiring will be picking up in October. Didnt want to go back through 100 pages of thread to see what everyone is saying about it, but does that seem to be the case? Med Review has been going back and forth with me about some health issues from a while back, so it looks like they are starting to move through the process after months of being stagnant.
                    GEO: Northeast
                    Test: 4/12, 96 no vet pref
                    TSL 1 & 2: 9/12
                    e-QIP & Fingerprint: 9/12
                    Medical: 10/12 (results in Med Review Office)
                    PFT1: 10/12 (Passed, Green in CASS)
                    VBT/SI: 11/12 (Passed, Green in CASS)
                    Pre-Employment Forms: Pending
                    Qualifications: Pending
                    Drug Screening: Pending
                    BI: Pending

MA Police: 4/11, Score of 96

MA Fire Fighter: 4/12, Score of 99
                    Passed ELPAT/Written

Comment

• Originally posted by TopGun87 View Post
                      @ current CBP officers: I see a lot of jobs labeled Container Security overseas in very nice countries such as Malaysia, France, and Portugal for journeyman GS-12-1895's. Can anyone enlightening me on how competitive these vacancies are and what's the probability of getting selected posh you reach journeyman? Does CBP operate on the same accelerated promotion plan as BPA; promotion after 6 1/2 months?

Thanks,
                      Very competitive, with the choice locations being the most highly sought after.

Probability? Depends on your skills and drive. Depends on the experiences you glean from your port. Depends on luck. Depends on a great many things.

We're talking of a few hundred positions scattered around the globe. At any given time, 98+% of CBPOs are nowhere near those positions.

Comment

• No accelerated promotions. Standard promotions after 52 weeks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bry3213 View Post
                          Long time, no post!

Just logged into CASS and my Quals are showing as GS-5. Anyone know if there is a way to re-process as a 7? I have tons of work experience and I am halfway through Grad school. I picked a 5 originally because I thought it would give me a better opportunity to get on, but that is still undecided.

Got a buddy in ICE who says hiring will be picking up in October. Didnt want to go back through 100 pages of thread to see what everyone is saying about it, but does that seem to be the case? Med Review has been going back and forth with me about some health issues from a while back, so it looks like they are starting to move through the process after months of being stagnant.
                          If you complete your graduate degree prior to being hired, advise MHC of this and inquire about changing to GS-7. You will have to complete another qualifications form, which MHC will send to you. They will ask for an official transcript and 3 light years worth of your patience (I'm donating if you need any) while they review and make a determination. Good luck!

As for the hiring, uhh yeah...about that. It's been lovely, but I have to go run in circles and scream now...

Comment

• I used to read this post often, this is my first post. I was a Border Patrol Agent for 9 months then went CBP Officer back home, which I have been for one year. "Container Security Initiative (CSI)"-This is all based on seniority and cargo experience. Remember, CBP was united with Agriculture, Customs and INS Officers/Inspectors, 10yrs ago when DHS & CBP were created. There have been thousands recently hired and plenty of qualified people who are "legacy customs", which means they have over 10 years in and have the appropiate experience and seniority. There are also overseas "pre-clearence" positions, which is pre-clearing passengers with immigration issues, where most of the new CBP mission is actually focused on. Now forr those, don't forget your legacy INS folks and the years they have hired. In other words, for a decade or so it's unlikely to get any of these sweet deals. Once I reach journyman, I'd try it but I know the realistic low likeklihood.

As far as accelerated promotions, that's mostly false. Your first BPA promotion is in 6 months, if you were hired as a GL5 or 7. In my academy, and station, a prior 10yr police officer was hired as a GS9, and in the first 6 month raise, he moved up a couple of steps. After your first 6 month promotion, it's annual, like CBP Office of Field Operations (OFO-airport/seaport/landport blue unifroms/"CBP Officers").
                            Now, I was dying to get hired for years but now that I am here I'm not impressed. Border Patrol is high speed, I liked the work a lot, but living on the U.S./Mexicam border sucked for me because I was raised big city/latino community. ICE or Office of Air & Marine might be my last attempt before I leave DHS. Just a heads up, if you get hired at a busy airpot, be ready to have a strong "customer service, get em outa here asap!" mentality, rather than LE or national security mindset. And, for the busier airports, the people just don't stop coming! If you're seeking high speed, chasing bad guys, vehicular persuits, busting smugglers, hiking, running, tackling, kick *** and take names jobs, Border Patrol is up that alley, but that's only a good fit if you get a good assigned station (highly unlikely) and don't mind relocating to the southern border.

Comment

• Thanks for all of the info Meta. A lot of good stuff mentioned

Comment

• What did the peanut say when it entered the police station?
                                I've been a-salted!
                                . . . .
                                Why are policeman so strong?
                                Because they hold up the traffic!
                                . . . .
                                Why did the policeman arrest the kitty cat?
                                Because of the kitty litter!
                                . . . .
                                Did you hear about the cannibal who joined the police force? He said he wanted to grill his suspects.
                                . . . .
                                A man went to a policeman.
                                "I just had my watch pinched from under my nose!" yelled the man.
                                "That's a strange place to wear it!" chortled the policeman!

Just keep waiting, Just keep waiting......
                                CBPO Timeline
                                Tested: 7/21/2012 Geo Pref SE
                                TSL: 09/12/12
                                Switched Geo Pref SWB: 8/22/2012
                                TSU: 4/22/13
                                PFT 2: 10/8/13
                                EOD: 11/4/13 Brownsville, TX
                                FLETC: 12/10/13 - ?
                                BPA Timeline
                                Test: 03/16/13
                                NOR: 05/17/13 (101)
                                GEO Pref: South Texas
                                TSL1: 06/21/13
                                PFT1:
                                Qual: 08/13/13 GL9
                                Med: 3/2013
                                Interview: 9/26/13
                                EQUIP: 9/24/2012
                                BI Investigator: 4/2/13
                                Poly: 3/19/13
                                Drug Screen: 4/19/13

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6251 users online. 225 members and 6026 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X