Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TripleD View Post
    Folks,
    Hate to break this news, but after reading a budget update by the Acting CBP Commissioner dated 5/2, I'd be surprised to see any entry level CBPO hiring for the remainder of the year. They continue to analyze the available funding and there is renewed talk of furloughs for current employees. I'm sure this will be a last resort, but the mention of it does not bode well for new hires.

The only silver lining is the proposed budget for next FY (Oct 13) and the fact almost every port will be hurting by then. Take it for what's its worth. Work out and find other aspects of your life to keep happy until "The Call".
    Damn............but while the mention of furloughs doesnt bode well for hiring, it does not actually mean there wont be, seeing as the language in the budget set up staffing minimums for cbp. Unless CBP disregards this portion of the bill, or somehow no body leaves CBP, then hiring seemingly should have to continue right? I'm sure the agency could stop hiring and not face any real consequences, even though it leaves the PoE's in a very dire situation seeing as it takes 6+ months to actually get a new CBPO on the job at a basic level of functionality of the job.
    CBPO:
    Test- 05/12
    NOR- 08/12 (95- w/5 point vet pref)
    TSL1/2-08/12
    PFT1/Med-09/12
    VBT/SI-10/12
    Poly-11/12
    BI-12/12
    TSU-01/24/13
    1st "Call"-02/26/13- 30 day referral for a better selection

OCSO:
    Applied- 06/12
    PFT-07/12
    CJBAT- 12/12
    Panel Interview- 01/13
    BI- in process

FBI
    Phase two: probably never

Comment

• Hey Payniel,
      You're right about the minimal staffing level language, I've read it as well. However, when you take into account the fact people at FLETC now are saying there will not be any new classes for the foreseeable future, the recently recinded offers and the CBP Commissioners budget statements, it all does not look good for summer classes. The good thing is that all of this cannot last forever, and the people in the TSU will get the offer some time down the road. If I was a betting man, I'd say Oct 2013.

Comment

• Originally posted by TripleD View Post
        Folks,
        Hate to break this news, but after reading a budget update by the Acting CBP Commissioner dated 5/2, I'd be surprised to see any entry level CBPO hiring for the remainder of the year. They continue to analyze the available funding and there is renewed talk of furloughs for current employees. I'm sure this will be a last resort, but the mention of it does not bode well for new hires.

The only silver lining is the proposed budget for next FY (Oct 13) and the fact almost every port will be hurting by then. Take it for what's its worth. Work out and find other aspects of your life to keep happy until "The Call".
        Well that's depressing, not that I'm in TSU for it to matter for me just yet. I do hope I go in soon and was hoping the call would come quickly after. This news would make that rather difficult. No offense to you TripleD, but I hope your wrong.
        NYPD Exam: 3310 9/12
        Score:9X.XX%
        List#2XX 5/2013

NCPD Exam: 2000 12/12

PAPD Exam: 6/13 Qualified

Comment

• No offense taken at all. I hope for everyone's sake I'm reading the writing on the wall wrong. The people who really know the hiring prospects are working at the CBP mother ship in DC. Things change on a regular basis in the Gov. Look at the FAA. When it's a political crap storm and its unpopular with everyone, bam, magically money appears and the air traffic controllers are no longer taking furlough days.

For CBP to exert the same pressure there needs to be major delays for international inbound flight processing, where people miss their connectors and tourism suffers major setbacks. As far as the land POEs, we lose millions yearly in San Diego due to lost productivity, lost trade and tourism because of the boarder wait times. CNN doesn't cover it=Average American and congress don't care all that much.

Sorry for the long rant, just sick of the political jockeying nowadays. Like the late great Rodney King once said "Can we all get along"?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rms16 View Post
            Well that's depressing, not that I'm in TSU for it to matter for me just yet. I do hope I go in soon and was hoping the call would come quickly after. This news would make that rather difficult. No offense to you TripleD, but I hope your wrong.
            Just spoke to my spy on the inside lol (my mother lol) and she inform me that she has not herd any changes for cbp. Also to let you guys know cbp will always cut funding to all other components of cbp like office staffing and overtime to these staff way before they mess with cbp officers and the money given to them for official use. Do I think there is a hiring freeze yes but not for the reasons you guys think. The freeze is to fill a class that they want in before the year is up. Next year brings a lot of opportunity and hiring. So I'll keepyou guys posted
            Last edited by Shorttie; 05-04-2013, 06:50 PM.
            Geo: Florida, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas V.I and St. Croix V.I
            first choice: Florida region
            second choice: Puerto Rico
            Test-8/21/11
            NOR-3/23/12
            Test Management Application-8/16/12
            TSL-2/25/13
            PFT 1-3/27/13- passed
            Medical-3/27/13- put on medical review 5/21/2013-passed
            B.I.- submitted 6/11/2013
            V.B.T- 4/18/2013-passed
            S.I.-4/18/2013-passed
            Poly- 11/20/2013-pending
            PFT 2-
            The Call-
            E.O.D-

Comment

• Originally posted by Shorttie View Post
              Just spoke to my spy on the inside lol (my mother lol) and she inform me that she has not herd any changes for cbp. Also to let you guys know cbp will always cut funding to all other components if cbp like office staffing and overtime to these staff way before they mess with cbp officers and the money given to them for official use. Do I think there is a hiring freeze yes but not for the reasons you guys think. The freeze is to fill a class that they want in before the year is up. Next year brings a lot of opportunity and hiring. So I'll keepyou guys posted
              I have heard similar things from my former colleague in IA. Hiring freeze is more like a delay and his words where it would "seem quite out there" to not have a class until the new fiscal year. He guessed a 2 month delay but said only the office in DC knows what is really going on sadly.
              Last edited by Crimestopshere; 05-04-2013, 04:59 PM.

Comment

• I guess its still the same as always.....wait wait wait. Meh, we should all be pretty used to this by now. Hopefully they can get it together soon enough, but they better hurry since I am going to hear from my County before the end of month about a deputy spot, lol.

Shorttie, could you perhaps elaborate as the reasoning why the delay, I'm not sure I understand completely?
                CBPO:
                Test- 05/12
                TSL1/2-08/12
                PFT1/Med-09/12
                VBT/SI-10/12
                Poly-11/12
                BI-12/12
                TSU-01/24/13

OCSO:
                Applied- 06/12
                PFT-07/12
                CJBAT- 12/12
                Panel Interview- 01/13
                BI- in process

FBI

Comment

• Originally posted by payniel View Post
                  I guess its still the same as always.....wait wait wait. Meh, we should all be pretty used to this by now. Hopefully they can get it together soon enough, but they better hurry since I am going to hear from my County before the end of month about a deputy spot, lol.

Shorttie, could you perhaps elaborate as the reasoning why the delay, I'm not sure I understand completely?
                  From what I was told its for two reason 1. They want the last class for the ending of 2013 to be big to take over 1. People who are retiring with the new plan that was put into play. 2. There are going to be a lot of officers moving around and going up in rank leaving gaps they need to fill. The second reason is that cbp needs to train a large group in order to have them on stand by. Meaning that with new things being implemented like that Snowbords act( I think it's called that) which will allow people from Canada to visit the USA a lot more often or the recently put into play i-94 paper work which will requiring more cbp officer and ba officers to control the flow. Not to mention the construction of a few airports and new cbp stations being created for this. There are a lot more reasoning for the increase in cbp officer. Last think she told me was that cbp in 2014 will be hiring a lot more officers to accommodate cbp expectation for the future. For example I was told Puerto Rico alone needs about 100 cbp officers to stabilize there needs. Cbp is going to get big from what I'm hearing so guys prepare yourself for what ever is given to you when it comes to choosing a location because ur going to be there for a while.
                  Last edited by Shorttie; 05-04-2013, 07:06 PM.
                  Test-8/21/11
                  NOR-3/23/12
                  TSL-2/25/13
                  PFT 1-3/27/13- passed
                  V.B.T- 4/18/2013-passed
                  S.I.-4/18/2013-passed
                  Poly- 11/20/2013-pending
                  PFT 2-
                  The Call-
                  E.O.D-

Comment

• Interesting...maybe we will end up with a large class going in around the same time, like 100-150. Just waiting on more people in TSU I guess.
                    Last edited by payniel; 05-04-2013, 09:44 PM. Reason: ctrlz the sarcasm.....
                    CBPO:
                    Test- 05/12
                    TSL1/2-08/12
                    PFT1/Med-09/12
                    VBT/SI-10/12
                    Poly-11/12
                    BI-12/12
                    TSU-01/24/13

OCSO:
                    Applied- 06/12
                    PFT-07/12
                    CJBAT- 12/12
                    Panel Interview- 01/13
                    BI- in process

FBI

Comment

• Im ready 2.jpg
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Amac ; 05-04-2013, 08:42 PM.
                      CBPO Timeline
                      Tested: 7/21/2012 Geo Pref SE
                      TSL: 09/12/12
                      Switched Geo Pref SWB: 8/22/2012
                      TSU: 4/22/13
                      PFT 2: 10/8/13
                      EOD: 11/4/13 Brownsville, TX
                      FLETC: 12/10/13 - ?
                      BPA Timeline
                      Test: 03/16/13
                      NOR: 05/17/13 (101)
                      GEO Pref: South Texas
                      TSL1: 06/21/13
                      PFT1:
                      Qual: 08/13/13 GL9
                      Med: 3/2013
                      Interview: 9/26/13
                      EQUIP: 9/24/2012
                      BI Investigator: 4/2/13
                      Poly: 3/19/13
                      Drug Screen: 4/19/13

Comment

• Seriously?? I couldn't make it bigger. As my son would say "Epic fail Mom!"
                        CBPO Timeline
                        Tested: 7/21/2012 Geo Pref SE
                        TSL: 09/12/12
                        Switched Geo Pref SWB: 8/22/2012
                        TSU: 4/22/13
                        PFT 2: 10/8/13
                        EOD: 11/4/13 Brownsville, TX
                        FLETC: 12/10/13 - ?
                        BPA Timeline
                        Test: 03/16/13
                        NOR: 05/17/13 (101)
                        GEO Pref: South Texas
                        TSL1: 06/21/13
                        PFT1:
                        Qual: 08/13/13 GL9
                        Med: 3/2013
                        Interview: 9/26/13
                        EQUIP: 9/24/2012
                        BI Investigator: 4/2/13
                        Poly: 3/19/13
                        Drug Screen: 4/19/13

Comment

• Guys are you serious? 100-150? lol lol guys be realistic.. I been in almost 7 months now. just finish the academy March 1. class are 48 max. Canadian's don't need i-94. Mexicans do, but not all the time. The reason is because there's nooo money... if you have a question let me know.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fer View Post
                            Guys are you serious? 100-150? lol lol guys be realistic.. I been in almost 7 months now. just finish the academy March 1. class are 48 max. Canadian's don't need i-94. Mexicans do, but not all the time. The reason is because there's nooo money... if you have a question let me know.
                            Yea, wasnt really being serious with that large a number, although sarcasm isnt well transmitted when written, and the little rolly eyes guy didnt show up...

But hey, if the info is correct(big if, since only dc seems to really know), what's to stop them from starting say two or three classes at once? Its not space, from a couple of friends that are/were at Fletc, the campus is nowhere near full in terms of personnel. Biggest issue would probably be instructors...and yeah, the possible lack of money. I say possible because of the extra money CBP got in their funding that should have made up for a large portion of the sequester cut.
                            CBPO:
                            Test- 05/12
                            TSL1/2-08/12
                            PFT1/Med-09/12
                            VBT/SI-10/12
                            Poly-11/12
                            BI-12/12
                            TSU-01/24/13

OCSO:
                            Applied- 06/12
                            PFT-07/12
                            CJBAT- 12/12
                            Panel Interview- 01/13
                            BI- in process

FBI

Comment

• Originally posted by Fer View Post
                              Guys are you serious? 100-150? lol lol guys be realistic.. I been in almost 7 months now. just finish the academy March 1. class are 48 max. Canadian's don't need i-94. Mexicans do, but not all the time. The reason is because there's nooo money... if you have a question let me know.
                              I mention two different things which at no moment stated they are related. There are many more thing going on in cbp that most people don't know of and the few that do are not saying a word. Congrats on becoming a cbp officer but I forgot to mention my mom been in for over 15 years so I kinda value the info she give me. Unfortunate guys I can't say everything she tells me but the few things I can I say to you guys. As for the class size lol I'm talking one or two classes of max 38-48 people. I'm actual hoping for tree classes lol and as payniel said they kinda have the money but they are trying to deal with the problems that are existing first before they take on new recruit which means using some of that money for other things no related to hiring.
                              Test-8/21/11
                              NOR-3/23/12
                              TSL-2/25/13
                              PFT 1-3/27/13- passed
                              V.B.T- 4/18/2013-passed
                              S.I.-4/18/2013-passed
                              Poly- 11/20/2013-pending
                              PFT 2-
                              The Call-
                              E.O.D-

Comment

• Originally posted by Shorttie View Post
                                I mention two different things which at no moment stated they are related. There are many more thing going on in cbp that most people don't know of and the few that do are not saying a word. Congrats on becoming a cbp officer but I forgot to mention my mom been in for over 15 years so I kinda value the info she give me. Unfortunate guys I can't say everything she tells me but the few things I can I say to you guys. As for the class size lol I'm talking one or two classes of max 38-48 people. I'm actual hoping for tree classes lol and as payniel said they kinda have the money but they are trying to deal with the problems that are existing first before they take on new recruit which means using some of that money for other things no related to hiring.
                                I like what your saying here, not that I know it's true or anything just that it makes me feel better so I'm going to go with that haha. The hiring will start again soon, sounds good to me. Now if they are waiting for a few more people to get in TSU to start classes again somebody needs to get on the horn right now and tell MHC I'm ready and waiting. Call me any time, day or night, Monday through Sunday it doesn't matter and I won't be upset if you wake me either haha.
                                NYPD Exam: 3310 9/12
                                Score:9X.XX%
                                List#2XX 5/2013

NCPD Exam: 2000 12/12

PAPD Exam: 6/13 Qualified

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8812 users online. 365 members and 8447 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X