Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBP officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by afftont View Post
    I didn't want to go too far in to this and was going to leave it alone, but I'd like to share what I "failed" for. It seemed like my examiner was pushing the ideal that I beat my girlfriend (who actually almost started crying from laughing so hard at this accusation), have sex with my two chihuahuas and into bestiality, and that I am into hardcore drugs.

    These things couldn't be the farther from the truth. I've volunteered at shelters and have worked with animals for over 3 years, my sister has had previous drug problems and I can see how they destroy lives, and I have huge respect for females (being raised by a single mother), plus my girlfriend can beat me up.

    Anyways, I'm done venting and am going to work on fixing the problem. Hopefully next time I post it will be good news. Only positivity from here on out, especially since I have another poly with a different agency next week.
    That's right Afftont, If you send out positive you get the same in return. You just have to keep your head up and it will all work out. You got to fight for what you want! Unfortunately sometimes you just have to fight harder then others, but that just means when it happens it will mean that much more for you. That goes for you to LennyXDM.

    Was that one to many inspirational comments? Haha
    Last edited by Rms16; 05-01-2013, 11:28 PM.
    NYPD Exam: 3310 9/12
    Score:9X.XX%
    List#2XX 5/2013

    NCPD Exam: 2000 12/12

    PAPD Exam: 6/13 Qualified

    Comment


    • some excerpts from a co-worker of mine who was picked up a year ago. fun read for you guys.

      "Whatever you do, don't move your family until you're done at the academy. Keep them in Texas. You'll have long weekends off from time to time at the academy where you'll be able to fly home and see your family. That's what I did. When you're not able to see them, FaceTime or Skype is your best friend."


      "If for some reason you fail the academy, you will still have a place to go back to in Texas (and a job at the Prison). You can decide later if you want to keep, sell or rent out your house. If you get hurt at the academy (which happens a lot) they will send you back to your port, then recycle you with the next available class. People frequently get broken arms and torn ACLs while training (where a knee brace). The trainers and sports medicine doctors on base are the best the government has to offer. You're gonna be taught Ju-jitsu and ground fighting. The injuries that happen usually occur when you spar with your classmates. Plan on getting slammed on the floor, beat up, bloody and having bruises and black eyes. I had bloody knuckles and bruises the entire time I was there. You'll be a fighting machine when it's all over."

      "When It comes time for you to leave your port to go to the academy, they will probably allow you to fly back to Texas, pick up your car and drive to the academy (my port allowed me to do that). When you're done at the academy, you'll be able to drive back to the Port. When you get back to the Port, after the academy, they will work with you in giving you time to move your family. You will either take your own leave or they'll give you administrative leave. You're accrued sick and annual leave will follow you from the BOP to CBP"

      "The first month of pre-academy is like an orientation to your career. They'll go over lots of paperwork and they introduce you to the various computer systems we use. You're gonna watch a ton of movies and complete a ton of online tests. It's kinda of boring, but it'll set you up for the academy. On your days off explore the area and find a good place where your family will like to live."

      "The academy is awesome. I loved every minute of it. They jam pack every day full of academics, shooting and fighting. They are gonna turn you into a machine. It's very similar to book camp for the military. You and your class will march around in cadence every where you go. It's pretty cool. They are gonna work you out and make you run, then run some more, then run some more after that, then make you fight (be sure you are running and lifting weights every day to prepare)."


      "You're gonna shoot guns so much you'll probably get sick of it. Tazers are issued to a lot of ports, so you'll get trained on that too. (You're gonna get tazed, so prepare yourself for that. When I got tazed, it almost made me **** my pants) You also carry OC pepper spray. They're gonna spray you all over your face then make you fight."


      "The academics portion of the academy is the most difficult. They jam a ton of information down your throat every day, so studying and making flash card is a good idea. "


      It's me again. I know some of this is over zealous but it does give a good insite. He wrote more but obviously I dont want to put too much actual cbp stuff on a blog. I was a warrant officer in the army and I doubt its like basic training but probably more like OBC. (officer basic course) I have been to glynco for my current job and have experienced it a bit. (different agency so i cannot speak for CBP but just in general of the FLETC vibe) It does have a semi military vibe if you are a vet. I mean from things like the range to having a gigantic chow hall. It was a former naval base so the layout is just like a military installation. Well this is probably the longest post in history but i thought it would be a good read and different from the normal paranoia and anxiety found on this forum. I am as guilty as anyone when it comes to all that. Happy thursday and 28 hours till COB friday. Hopefully we get a call by then.

      Comment


      • Oh.. And to you guys that are Federal LEO CBP is on a GS payscale and not GL. If you dont know what im talking about then google GS pay scale and then GL. GL stands for Law enforcement. We get a 25% bump. I am a 7-5 on the GL scale which will make me a 7-10 on the GS scale. (they cant pay you less than your current pay according to FERS so they match it to the next higher step and thank god I wasnt higher because you cannot go higher than step 10) This has been a question of mine from the start. I did get the confirmation from my buddy and also they told me at the SI but they did not seem to know and those guys were already 13's so I just figured they forgot or didnt care at this point. CBP is on the law enforcement retirement though so that is great and most important.. Also once you hit GS-11 it doesnt matter. GL only goes up to GL-10. and since we do not get 10's in CPB the it would have pretty much ended at GL-9. But a lot of us will be 12's in three years so it doesnt matter too much. I just wanted to put that info out there for those who are interested. And sorry for rambling. I did just had two big cups of coffee..
        Last edited by gijoeavila; 05-02-2013, 02:25 PM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by gijoeavila View Post
          some excerpts from a co-worker of mine who was picked up a year ago. fun read for you guys.

          "Whatever you do, don't move your family until you're done at the academy. Keep them in Texas. You'll have long weekends off from time to time at the academy where you'll be able to fly home and see your family. That's what I did. When you're not able to see them, FaceTime or Skype is your best friend."


          "If for some reason you fail the academy, you will still have a place to go back to in Texas (and a job at the Prison). You can decide later if you want to keep, sell or rent out your house. If you get hurt at the academy (which happens a lot) they will send you back to your port, then recycle you with the next available class. People frequently get broken arms and torn ACLs while training (where a knee brace). The trainers and sports medicine doctors on base are the best the government has to offer. You're gonna be taught Ju-jitsu and ground fighting. The injuries that happen usually occur when you spar with your classmates. Plan on getting slammed on the floor, beat up, bloody and having bruises and black eyes. I had bloody knuckles and bruises the entire time I was there. You'll be a fighting machine when it's all over."

          "When It comes time for you to leave your port to go to the academy, they will probably allow you to fly back to Texas, pick up your car and drive to the academy (my port allowed me to do that). When you're done at the academy, you'll be able to drive back to the Port. When you get back to the Port, after the academy, they will work with you in giving you time to move your family. You will either take your own leave or they'll give you administrative leave. You're accrued sick and annual leave will follow you from the BOP to CBP"

          "The first month of pre-academy is like an orientation to your career. They'll go over lots of paperwork and they introduce you to the various computer systems we use. You're gonna watch a ton of movies and complete a ton of online tests. It's kinda of boring, but it'll set you up for the academy. On your days off explore the area and find a good place where your family will like to live."

          "The academy is awesome. I loved every minute of it. They jam pack every day full of academics, shooting and fighting. They are gonna turn you into a machine. It's very similar to book camp for the military. You and your class will march around in cadence every where you go. It's pretty cool. They are gonna work you out and make you run, then run some more, then run some more after that, then make you fight (be sure you are running and lifting weights every day to prepare)."


          "You're gonna shoot guns so much you'll probably get sick of it. Tazers are issued to a lot of ports, so you'll get trained on that too. (You're gonna get tazed, so prepare yourself for that. When I got tazed, it almost made me **** my pants) You also carry OC pepper spray. They're gonna spray you all over your face then make you fight."


          "The academics portion of the academy is the most difficult. They jam a ton of information down your throat every day, so studying and making flash card is a good idea. "


          It's me again. I know some of this is over zealous but it does give a good insite. He wrote more but obviously I dont want to put too much actual cbp stuff on a blog. I was a warrant officer in the army and I doubt its like basic training but probably more like OBC. (officer basic course) I have been to glynco for my current job and have experienced it a bit. (different agency so i cannot speak for CBP but just in general of the FLETC vibe) It does have a semi military vibe if you are a vet. I mean from things like the range to having a gigantic chow hall. It was a former naval base so the layout is just like a military installation. Well this is probably the longest post in history but i thought it would be a good read and different from the normal paranoia and anxiety found on this forum. I am as guilty as anyone when it comes to all that. Happy thursday and 28 hours till COB friday. Hopefully we get a call by then.
          Thanks for the info that's good stuff to know. Also for those of you that have had medical hicups, I was told when I sent my med stuff up to keep copies for for yourself and bring those copies to fletc. The med team there will ask for it and will expect you to have it. They can get it for you it just takes time and If I remember correctly it can jam you up.
          NYPD Exam: 3310 9/12
          Score:9X.XX%
          List#2XX 5/2013

          NCPD Exam: 2000 12/12

          PAPD Exam: 6/13 Qualified

          Comment


          • Thanks Gijoevilla. That was really some good stuff to read. Makes me excited to go even more now.
            Geo:SWB
            CBPO Exam:08/2/11
            TSl 1 & 2: 11/14/11 & 11/25/11
            Medical & Pft1:12/10/11 Passed
            VBT/SI: 5/10/12 Passed
            Drug Test: 7/12/12 Passed
            Qual: (GS-7) Cleared 8/12/12
            Poly 1 & 2: 9/26/12 & 11/8/12 Passed
            BI: Met investigator on 12/6 Complete on 3/26/13
            TSU: 3/28/13
            EOD: 8/12/13 (Brownsville, TX)
            FLETC: 9/13/13

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Pointman8 View Post
              Thanks Gijoevilla. That was really some good stuff to read. Makes me excited to go even more now.
              I am also even more excited to go now. Echoes many of the sentiments i have heard from people that are there now.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Rms16 View Post
                Thanks for the info that's good stuff to know. Also for those of you that have had medical hicups, I was told when I sent my med stuff up to keep copies for for yourself and bring those copies to fletc. The med team there will ask for it and will expect you to have it. They can get it for you it just takes time and If I remember correctly it can jam you up.
                Lmao I make copies of everything and keep it in a file cabinet. I think I might have ticket I recieved about 13 years ago when I officially got my license. And yes for all of those wondering it was speeding :P
                Geo: Florida, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas V.I and St. Croix V.I
                first choice: Florida region
                second choice: Puerto Rico
                Test-8/21/11
                NOR-3/23/12
                Test Management Application-8/16/12
                TSL-2/25/13
                PFT 1-3/27/13- passed
                Medical-3/27/13- put on medical review 5/21/2013-passed
                B.I.- submitted 6/11/2013
                V.B.T- 4/18/2013-passed
                S.I.-4/18/2013-passed
                Poly- 11/20/2013-pending
                PFT 2-
                The Call-
                E.O.D-

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Shorttie View Post
                  Lmao I make copies of everything and keep it in a file cabinet. I think I might have ticket I recieved about 13 years ago when I officially got my license. And yes for all of those wondering it was speeding :P
                  Ya I'm almost the same way I keep everything haha. I only just started getting rid of some paperwork from over ten years ago.
                  NYPD Exam: 3310 9/12
                  Score:9X.XX%
                  List#2XX 5/2013

                  NCPD Exam: 2000 12/12

                  PAPD Exam: 6/13 Qualified

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by gijoeavila View Post
                    Oh.. And to you guys that are Federal LEO CBP is on a GS payscale and not GL. If you dont know what im talking about then google GS pay scale and then GL. GL stands for Law enforcement. We get a 25% bump. I am a 7-5 on the GL scale which will make me a 7-10 on the GS scale. (they cant pay you less than your current pay according to FERS so they match it to the next higher step and thank god I wasnt higher because you cannot go higher than step 10) This has been a question of mine from the start. I did get the confirmation from my buddy and also they told me at the SI but they did not seem to know and those guys were already 13's so I just figured they forgot or didnt care at this point. CBP is on the law enforcement retirement though so that is great and most important.. Also once you hit GS-11 it doesnt matter. GL only goes up to GL-10. and since we do not get 10's in CPB the it would have pretty much ended at GL-9. But a lot of us will be 12's in three years so it doesnt matter too much. I just wanted to put that info out there for those who are interested. And sorry for rambling. I did just had two big cups of coffee..
                    I'll throw out that there is a pay reform proposal out there that would place CBPOs on the GL scale. If and when it comes to fruition...who knows?

                    Comment


                    • Hi Everyone

                      How long are background Investigations good for? I just got my TSL 2 and fingerprint cards today. I had a completed background in the beginning of last year. Will I have to redo the whole investigation including meeting with an investigator? Thank you!
                      GEO: SWB
                      TSL 1 & 2: 4/5/13 & 5/1/13
                      Medical & PFT-1: 4/17/13 Passed
                      VBT/SI: 6/17/13 Passed
                      Qual: (GS-5) Cleared
                      Drug Test: Pending
                      BI: In security office
                      Poly: Pending
                      TSU: Pending

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Greggyd1211 View Post
                        Dude as clean as you think u might be ... these examiners are professionals who make a living questioning everything that you have ever taken part in. I dont have anything to hide either and I was being accused of espionage .... trust me they will have more than enough to interrogate you about lol
                        I would have told him I'm in league with bin Ladin nephew against the USA that would have gotten a really good response. Lol all joke aside I welcome the poly I don't have any secrets I'm trying to hide or any incriminating evidence against me. It would be interesting to see the list of questions that they are going to throw at me. All in all I'm not worried. They are going to do their worst and ill befine.
                        Geo: Florida, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas V.I and St. Croix V.I
                        first choice: Florida region
                        second choice: Puerto Rico
                        Test-8/21/11
                        NOR-3/23/12
                        Test Management Application-8/16/12
                        TSL-2/25/13
                        PFT 1-3/27/13- passed
                        Medical-3/27/13- put on medical review 5/21/2013-passed
                        B.I.- submitted 6/11/2013
                        V.B.T- 4/18/2013-passed
                        S.I.-4/18/2013-passed
                        Poly- 11/20/2013-pending
                        PFT 2-
                        The Call-
                        E.O.D-

                        Comment


                        • Just sent in the appeal request to be given another poly to MHC. The personnel there were very helpful in giving me the appropriate email address to send my appeal. They also stated they would forward this to IA for consideration. We'll see what happens...
                          Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

                          Comment


                          • Long time follower, first time poster

                            Looking forward to sharing whats left of this experience with you all in this mortal abyss known as the CBP Hiring Process & hopefully seeing some of you soon at FLETC
                            Exam: 4/3/12
                            NOR: 4/10/12 SWB 88 (No Vet Preference)
                            TSL1: 5/10/12
                            TSL2: 5/11/12
                            EQip: 5/16/12
                            Fingerprint Cards: 5/24/12
                            PFT1: 6/14/12
                            Poly: 6/22/12 & 7/20/12
                            VBT/SI: 6/26/12
                            Med: 7/9/12
                            Quals: 8/15/12 GS-7
                            Drug Test: 12/19/12
                            Background: 5/22/2012 Sent to Security Office

                            Comment


                            • Heads up on my process. So I went to the doctor this past wed which was may 1,2013 and I had a physical which all results came out good. Was schedule to do the EKG and bloody work today fri may 4,2013. Did my EKG and came out to 64 BPM and now I'm waiting on my blood work which ill get the results next fri may 10,2013. All in all I'm happy with these results and only thing on my mind is my blood work which I'm confident is going to be clean.
                              Last edited by Shorttie; 05-03-2013, 03:42 PM.
                              Geo: Florida, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas V.I and St. Croix V.I
                              first choice: Florida region
                              second choice: Puerto Rico
                              Test-8/21/11
                              NOR-3/23/12
                              Test Management Application-8/16/12
                              TSL-2/25/13
                              PFT 1-3/27/13- passed
                              Medical-3/27/13- put on medical review 5/21/2013-passed
                              B.I.- submitted 6/11/2013
                              V.B.T- 4/18/2013-passed
                              S.I.-4/18/2013-passed
                              Poly- 11/20/2013-pending
                              PFT 2-
                              The Call-
                              E.O.D-

                              Comment


                              • Folks,
                                Hate to break this news, but after reading a budget update by the Acting CBP Commissioner dated 5/2, I'd be surprised to see any entry level CBPO hiring for the remainder of the year. They continue to analyze the available funding and there is renewed talk of furloughs for current employees. I'm sure this will be a last resort, but the mention of it does not bode well for new hires.

                                The only silver lining is the proposed budget for next FY (Oct 13) and the fact almost every port will be hurting by then. Take it for what's its worth. Work out and find other aspects of your life to keep happy until "The Call".
                                Last edited by TripleD; 05-03-2013, 03:45 PM.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 8328 users online. 211 members and 8117 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X