Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They should be leaving in a month to go to the academy they must be starting the feb 15th class or something like that
    Geo: swb
    App: 3/26/12
    Written : 6/12 82%
    TSL 1 & 2: 7/12
    Med: 9/12
    VBT: 9/12
    Quals: 10/12 gs7
    Poly: 11/12 passed
    Drug test: 12/12
    BI: 12/12
    TSU: 12/27/12
    The call: 2/06/13
    EOD: 3/11/13
    Pft2 retest???

Comment

• Thanks. I hope I don't get anything in the mail.

Comment

• Taken from: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2505001.html

"We must pay our bills and responsibly budget for our future. Next week, we will authorize a three month temporary debt limit increase to give the Senate and House time to pass a budget. Furthermore, if the Senate or House fails to pass a budget in that time, Members of Congress will not be paid by the American people for failing to do their job. No budget, no pay."

Do you think Headquarters will use this time to extend final offers? The extension means that for now, their funding will not be cut right? Or will they wait until a permanent solution is in place?
        BPA
        Applied (CA): 08/02/11
        TSU: 01/03/13
        The Call: 02/01/13

CBPO
        Applied (SWB): 03/14/12
        Written Test: 04/19/12
        NOR: 05/25/12 (88 no pref)
        TSL1&2: 06/12, 06/13/12
        Pre-Employment forms: Completed
        Qualifications: Completed (GS-05)
        PFT1: 07/12/12 Completed
        Medical: 07/31/12 Completed
        VBT/SI: 08/24/12 Completed
        Drug Screening: 12/26/12 Completed
        Background Investigation: Completed
        Polygraph: 12/14/12 (cleared 12/19/12)
        BI Meeting: 12/20/12

Comment

• Originally posted by -USER- View Post
          Taken from:
          "We must pay our bills and responsibly budget for our future. Next week, we will authorize a three month temporary debt limit increase to give the Senate and House time to pass a budget. Furthermore, if the Senate or House fails to pass a budget in that time, Members of Congress will not be paid by the American people for failing to do their job. No budget, no pay."

Do you think Headquarters will use this time to extend final offers? The extension means that for now, their funding will not be cut right? Or will they wait until a permanent solution is in place?

Well, What the debt ceiling increase means is that at the end of Feb, there will be no Gov't shutdown, so hopefully hiring will keep going since all of the people involved will still be getting paid to make it so(FLETC, HQ, MHC). But it only addresses the issue until june-july timeframe, and only attempts to address the other issues that HQ is likely looking at, the sequester and the end of the continuing resolution for funding. Im sure congress will pass another CR for funding and focus more on getting a FY2014 budget together at the very least. Sequestration on the other hand, will probably happen to some degree at least, depending on how the Senate and the admin reacts to this.

This is a good sign for continued hiring, but doesnt really address the issue of the budgets. Once the Senate and Pres. react to this we should be able to tell at least a bit more.

And BTW, This will make for an interesting time....might be the first time a budget gets originated in the Senate, which hasnt passed any budget resolution for the past 4 years.
          CBPO:
          Test- 05/12
          NOR- 08/12 (95- w/5 point vet pref)
          TSL1/2-08/12
          PFT1/Med-09/12
          VBT/SI-10/12
          Poly-11/12
          BI-12/12
          TSU-01/24/13
          1st "Call"-02/26/13- 30 day referral for a better selection

OCSO:
          Applied- 06/12
          PFT-07/12
          CJBAT- 12/12
          Panel Interview- 01/13
          BI- in process

FBI
          Phase two: probably never

Comment

• yeah that's what I am hoping for. That hiring will keep going, and offers will be still be made since like you said, "all of the people involved will still be getting paid [to hire]", at the very least until June/July.
            BPA

CBPO

Comment

• Im hoping it will allow for the next few classes at FLETC to be finalized so they add people to those classes. I also think we might have to wait until a new CR or FY2013 budget passes to get everything finalized since the current CR ends on March 27th, and even if there is room on that debt cap, no authorized funding means no classes.

Congress needs to pass a friggin budget.
              CBPO:
              Test- 05/12
              NOR- 08/12 (95- w/5 point vet pref)
              TSL1/2-08/12
              PFT1/Med-09/12
              VBT/SI-10/12
              Poly-11/12
              BI-12/12
              TSU-01/24/13
              1st "Call"-02/26/13- 30 day referral for a better selection

OCSO:
              Applied- 06/12
              PFT-07/12
              CJBAT- 12/12
              Panel Interview- 01/13
              BI- in process

FBI
              Phase two: probably never

Comment

• So some folks had received a final job offer from Border Patrol the last week of December and they were supposed to Enter On Duty Feb 04, 2014 but had their offer post-poned. They were told that they (HR) didn't know until when because the fiscal year 2013 schedule was still being worked out and that the candidates would be advised as soon as they knew. Yesterday they were placed back in TSU. Well TSU called some of them today to give them their new EOD date of Feb 18. Who knows, not trying to excited or worked up here because it could mean nothing, or everything. Maybe this means that calls will start going out now, or maybe it means they only have enough room for now for the people that had already received a call but a postponed EOD date. I guess we will have to wait and see but can you imagine the people that didn't get called today and still have a postponed EOD date? It's gunna be a long weekend for them, holiday included.
                BPA

CBPO

Comment

• That would just be awful to be given an EOD, quit your job, start to get things in order, and then have it postponed indefinitely. Ouch, I don't envy those.

Comment

• Originally posted by dreland32 View Post
                    They should be leaving in a month to go to the academy they must be starting the feb 15th class or something like that
                    can you enable your PMs
                    CBPO
                    Geo - West Coast
                    Exam - 10/12/11 San Diego
                    NOR - 4/2/12
                    TSL - 6/12/12
                    PFT1 - green
                    BI -
                    Quals -
                    VBT/SI - green
                    Drug Screen - green

Comment

• Originally posted by nonsense View Post
                      can you enable your PMs
                      I think I did
                      Geo: swb
                      App: 3/26/12
                      Written : 6/12 82%
                      TSL 1 & 2: 7/12
                      Med: 9/12
                      VBT: 9/12
                      Quals: 10/12 gs7
                      Poly: 11/12 passed
                      Drug test: 12/12
                      BI: 12/12
                      The call: 2/06/13
                      EOD: 3/11/13
                      Pft2 retest???

Comment

• Originally posted by Firebug View Post
                        That depends greatly on your location, management, and largely on how you approach the job. You do your time on the line and look to get into special assignments. The agency is evolving. The opportunities are there with more to come.

FB
                        If you have a bachelor's degree and a clean background I can't stress enough that I think you should look for another agency. The agency does not focus on enforcing the law. Politicians and managers in CBP have the viewpoint that CBP's main function is to enable expeditious trade between the US and foreign nations. Objectively, that is a good viewpoint to have because trade drives our , economy. However, it doesn't make for a very good law enforcement agency. When I applied I heard about a new academy run by Border Patrol and a new tough hiring standard. The fact is that they raised the standards from a few years ago, but the standards are still very very low. Honestly, I feel duped by the recruiters who encouraged me to apply. Everyone I know who is young and is hungry to do some real police work is looking for a way out. There are older folks, who joined CBP as a second career, and are just sucking it up until retirement.

There are opportunities, but who wants to wait 5 years to get into a special assignment when you could join a local PD and be doing traffic stops, making arrests, and running code 3 to calls. The special teams at CBP include guys who walk around in traffic and guys who sit in a back office and process immigration paperwork. Neither of those assignments involve having your own car or doing anything in the field. Sure you could become a CBP Enforcement Officer, but why go to that position when an HSI Special Agent makes journeyman GS-13 and CBPEO only get GS-12. At the end of the day, it's a static job where you are basically TSA with a gun.

People talk about the agency evolving and working more with Border Patrol. The fact is that CBP trains Border Patrol on how to find dope in cars and detect fraudulent documents at the interior checkpoints. But Border Patrol doesn't reciprocate because BP doesn't trust CBPOs to handle the rigors of a patrol job. Frankly, I don't blame them.
                        Last edited by Escapar La Frontera; 01-20-2013, 02:25 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pointman8 View Post
                          What about SWB? Is it the same as in the airports?
                          I'm on the SWB at a very busy port, it's not a good scene brother. When you stand in a booth for 8 hours asking people the same questions over and over again, then your boss calls and says you've been drafted for another 8 hours, you will learn what we mean.

Comment

• Originally posted by Escapar La Frontera View Post
                            If you have a bachelor's degree and a clean background I can't stress enough that I think you should look for another agency. The agency does not focus on enforcing the law. Politicians and managers in CBP have the viewpoint that CBP's main function is to enable expeditious trade between the US and foreign nations. Objectively, that is a good viewpoint to have because trade drives our , economy. However, it doesn't make for a very good law enforcement agency. When I applied I heard about a new academy run by Border Patrol and a new tough hiring standard. The fact is that they raised the standards from a few years ago, but the standards are still very very low. Honestly, I feel duped by the recruiters who encouraged me to apply. Everyone I know who is young and is hungry to do some real police work is looking for a way out. There are older folks, who joined CBP as a second career, and are just sucking it up until retirement.

There are opportunities, but who wants to wait 5 years to get into a special assignment when you could join a local PD and be doing traffic stops, making arrests, and running code 3 to calls. The special teams at CBP include guys who walk around in traffic and guys who sit in a back office and process immigration paperwork. Neither of those assignments involve having your own car or doing anything in the field. Sure you could become a CBP Enforcement Officer, but why go to that position when an HSI Special Agent makes journeyman GS-13 and CBPEO only get GS-12. At the end of the day, it's a static job where you are basically TSA with a gun.

People talk about the agency evolving and working more with Border Patrol. The fact is that CBP trains Border Patrol on how to find dope in cars and detect fraudulent documents at the interior checkpoints. But Border Patrol doesn't reciprocate because BP doesn't trust CBPOs to handle the rigors of a patrol job. Frankly, I don't blame them.
                            I will stress again, it depends greatly upon where your location is and quite frankly the type of officer you are. You most certainly can look at it as this poster does. However, the "real" police work is right in front of him. All those same questions that he is asking over and over again is the real police work. Many of the cases that he believes the "real" police (the HSI special agent) work start with the CBPO asking those questions.

It will also surprise him to learn that those very low standards in CBP are currently higher than the standards to graduate from ICE's special agent academy. The academy is also not run by Border Patrol. The posters information is far from accurate.

It would also surprise him that in several locations CBPO's are working in the field with BP agents. They are also working in the field with HSI, US Marshals, FBI, state, and local law enforcement. These are special assignments and taskforces. Not all special assignments are in the port of entry. It is true, many special team assignments are pre-primary but there are others that have very little to do with the Port of Entry. Processing immigration adverse action immigration cases should not be a special team. It is also every bit a law enforcement task. It includes preparing charging documents, presenting evidence, proving your case just like any criminal case. The only difference is one takes place in administrative court and the other in criminal court. It is absolutely the same skills, same processes. If you are working a land border, you are making traffic stops by the hundreds every day. If you are working an airport you are making pedestrian contacts by the hundreds. The question is what are you making of those stops and contacts. If you are writing them off as not doing law enforcement because you are not riding in a car, you are not doing your job right and are missing opportunities.

It would also surprise the poster to know that my current assignment as a CBPO has me working daily with HSI. I do not report to work at the POE. I have an office in the local HSI ASAC office. I have an assigned car with home to work authorization (take home car). I have an assigned long arm. I work my own criminal investigations. I do arrest warrants, search warrants, and make the entries in the stack with the other agents. I have the same responsibilities that they do.

I got there by doing my time on the line. I got there by learning to do my job as a CBPO exceptional well. When it comes time to be promoted to a specialty assignment, you don't want to be known as the officer that complained about his job. You don't want to be the officer that failed to realize the day to day operation is just as important as the guy who is kicking in doors.

I will also tell you that my last two and half years in this assignment have taught me that the grass is not all ways greener. That what many view as "real" police work is often the wrong perception. The HSI special agent spends 10 times the amount of time in front of a computer screen typing than they do enforcing any laws. The average CBPO will spend many more hours interacting with bad guys than a special agent will.

To this poster feel free to PM me. I will happily have you spend some time with me if it can be arraigned. While what you believe about this job is true in some locations it is not true in all and some of your information such as our academy being run by Border Patrol is just plain incorrect. You should spend some time on the job; learn the job, before you form opinions. I was where you are now, with the same concerns and beliefs. Those opinions changed over time. The agency is changing. However, it is the government and now a government with no money so change is very slow in coming.

FB

Comment

• Is it normal to be nervous before the poly? Not worried about anything is particular just basic nerves. Any tips?? My poly is Tuesday.
                              CBPO Exam: 4/29/12
                              Geo: Central/East
                              NOR: 5/25/12 Score: 82
                              TSL:11/1/12
                              Med/PFT1: 12/2/12 Cleared
                              Qual: Cleared 12/8/12 GS-7
                              Poly 1: 1/22/13 Poly 2: 2/27/13 Poly 3: 4/16/13 Poly 4: 5/16/13 FINALLY PASSED
                              VBT/SI: 1/27/13 Cleared
                              Background: 5/20/13 Cleared
                              Met BI: 5/29/13
                              TSU: 6/13/13
                              Drug Test:6/12/13
                              PFT 2:
                              EOD: 8/19/13 Newark Airport FLETC: 9/16/13

Comment

• Originally posted by dreland32 View Post
                                I think I did
                                When I click on your screenname I don't see the option for a PM. Try PM'ing me
                                CBPO
                                Geo - West Coast
                                Exam - 10/12/11 San Diego
                                NOR - 4/2/12
                                TSL - 6/12/12
                                PFT1 - green
                                BI -
                                Quals -
                                VBT/SI - green
                                Drug Screen - green

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11422 users online. 417 members and 11005 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X