Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm in the TSU I'm hoping for brownsville I work for TSA and with a lot of cbp officers and they were telling me that brownsville isn't bad and it is easier to transfer from there
    Geo: swb
    App: 3/26/12
    Written : 6/12 82%
    TSL 1 & 2: 7/12
    Med: 9/12
    VBT: 9/12
    Quals: 10/12 gs7
    Poly: 11/12 passed
    Drug test: 12/12
    BI: 12/12
    TSU: 12/27/12
    The call: 2/06/13
    EOD: 3/11/13
    Pft2 retest???

Comment

• It also depends on what part of the poly you failed. Any portion of a poly that has to do with drug or felony related material is going to be red flagged for any job. As everyone that has taken a poly knows, you will receive a question more than once and if they get the same bodily reaction from them, they will most likely see it as someone trying to hide the truth. I could be wrong but I am sure that the applicants that received a second or third poly had some minor things pop up on the results. There is a reason why poly's are not 100% accurate, it is very hard to almost impossible to keep your body comfortable while being hooked up to all the gadgets like that. It is very important to give yourself plenty of rest and no caffiene at least 24 hours prior to the test. Your body might betray you and you will have no chance to redeem yourself.
      We few, we brave few, we band of brothers.

Comment

• Originally posted by salsahigh View Post
        Add me as the third. I intend to write a letter as well. I'm peeved that we weren't offered an add'l exam and that we didn't get a Notice of Proposed Action (NOPA) letter instead. Why do some people get NOPAs with the option to appeal while we've just been written off? I'm further annoyed because I'm convinced that I "failed" the exam because they didn't like my answers, not because I wasn't truthful with them. I could stomach the rejection much better if I were told the former. But to mark me as a liar? I'm not pleased at all right now.
        salsahigh, please keep me posted on your situation.
        Last edited by Gbeck422; 01-07-2013, 05:13 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gbeck422 View Post
          salsahigh, please keep me posted on your situation, too, via private messages. I will be writing some letters as well. If I have any luck, I'll let you know.

The officer giving the exam was convinced I take part in drug trafficking simply because I've traveled to South America a number of times and he told me he found it odd that I would want to travel to South America more than a handful of times. I also work night shifts and sleep all day usually... I have a relatively boring life and told the officer that and his comment to me was "Well, Ted Kyzinski had a boring life, too." Well, Ted was insane and lived in a cabin the woods. I am perfectly sane with a solid job history, excellent references and a normal background... never got in trouble at school and love to travel... but apparently CBP thinks otherwise. Being called a liar is not easy esp. when others are given 2 or 3 chances at a poly (who may have ACTUALLY lied during their exam) while I am being tossed out immediately really bothers me. The officer also tried to make me feel guilty about the time and effort CBP has put into my application... when, really, I have been the one in the process for almost 4.5 years... I flew from NY to DC just to take the written test, went through the BIs, med exams, everything... twice. I drove to my poly 3 hours each way (one way in a snow storm) ... and I don't need to be lectured about who is putting time and effort into this and who is not.
          The agency owes you nothing. You are a job applicant nothing more and nothing less. The agency hires based on the standards that the agency sets. You really don't have any input as to what those standards are nor should you.

The traveling that you did to the various steps in the process can be expected of you while on the job as well depending upon your job location. All that being said, I am not a big fan of the polygraph. However, in your post you are coming across like a you feel that you are entitleded because you went thorough hardship to get the job. I really don't want to that someone on my staff or be working next to them. This job requires lots of hardship from everybody and no one is entitled to any more than anyone else.

FB

Comment

• Originally posted by Firebug View Post
            The agency owes you nothing. You are a job applicant nothing more and nothing less. The agency hires based on the standards that the agency sets. You really don't have any input as to what those standards are nor should you.

The traveling that you did to the various steps in the process can be expected of you while on the job as well depending upon your job location. All that being said, I am not a big fan of the polygraph. However, in your post you are coming across like a you feel that you are entitleded because you went thorough hardship to get the job. I really don't want to that someone on my staff or be working next to them. This job requires lots of hardship from everybody and no one is entitled to any more than anyone else.

FB
            No pulling punches huh, FB?

I can understand your frustrations with the process. It does seem like you are getting a little of a raw deal. But the process is the same for everyone, they obviously can't hire everyone who wants to be hired, so we are all just applicants waiting. Have you ever applied to another job and not got a call back, or didn't get a second interview after a first one that you thought went well? Just because its the government doesn't make it any different I suppose. If you apply to a non-government or LE job and are found not suitable by the organization, are you going to write a letter saying that you feel you we're wronged?

I'd just recommend keeping at it. Everything happens for a reason. If it doesn't work out with CBP, try another agency. If that doesn't work, try local PD. if you truly want something bad enough, you'll find a way.
            GEO: Northeast
            Test: 4/12, 96 no vet pref
            TSL 1 & 2: 9/12
            e-QIP & Fingerprint: 9/12
            Medical: 10/12 (results in Med Review Office)
            PFT1: 10/12 (Passed, Green in CASS)
            VBT/SI: 11/12 (Passed, Green in CASS)
            Pre-Employment Forms: Pending
            Qualifications: Pending
            Drug Screening: Pending
            BI: Pending

MA Police: 4/11, Score of 96

MA Fire Fighter: 4/12, Score of 99
            Passed ELPAT/Written

Comment

• Originally posted by Firebug View Post

FB
              No, Firebug, I know I am not entitled to anything. You misinterpreted what I was saying. Nor do I feel like I am owed anything but a fair chance. I intended to communicate that I had been serious about the process and had invested a lot of time and energy in the process as well because the officer had made it seem like the only time being "wasted" was the agency's. Basically, I have invested a lot of time into this, too, as well as the agency and I understand CBP has more of a financial investment in it and it just seems absurd to have it all thrown away because of a polygraph exam. I fully understand I am not entitled to anything so hopefully you better understand me now. Sorry if I came across as such.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gbeck422 View Post
                No, Firebug, I know I am not entitled to anything. You misinterpreted what I was saying. Nor do I feel like I am owed anything but a fair chance. I intended to communicate that I had been serious about the process and had invested a lot of time and energy in the process as well because the officer had made it seem like the only time being "wasted" was the agency's. Basically, I have invested a lot of time into this, too, as well as the agency and I understand CBP has more of a financial investment in it and it just seems absurd to have it all thrown away because of a polygraph exam. I fully understand I am not entitled to anything so hopefully you better understand me now. Sorry if I came across as such.
                As I told you, I am not a fan of the polygraph at all. However, the agency has decided that it will be used in the hiring process. Why that decision came about is a topic for another discussion. Look at the questions you are asking? Why don't I get another chance when someone else does? I just want a fair chance. I am going to let you in on a secret that many times takes a long time to learn, especially now in this societies current climate. Life is NOT fair. Not everyone gets to win nor get the trophy just for participating. There are thousands of applicants how much time and money would be expended to give everyone that doesn't past any portion of the process a second chance. You want fair anyone that fails any portion of the process no matter how small of a margin get DQ'ed. It applies to everyone equally. That would be fair but it is unrealistic and would not work for the agency.

You want a law enforcement job. I don't know how many you have applied for and how may rejections you have received. I am telling you it is very rare for someone to get the first LEO job they apply for. The process is just not designed for that. CBP(INS) was not the first agency that I applied to. I received several rejections before getting hired. The experience made me a better candidate. I certainly am not a slug officer. I have served for 15 years. I have advanced to a management role; I served on those SI panels, and currently have a taskforce slot that many would give their right arm for. Did those agencies that rejected me miss out on an excellent officer? Absolutely, but it was their choice not mine. It certainly was not fair but that is the reality of life. The sooner you learn that the better off you will be.

I don't know how old you are but you have to at least be younger than 37. Try not to take what I am trying to tell you personally. You have grown up in a time where it has been taught to you that everything should be fair. That everyone is entitled to something. That no one is better than someone else. That everyone deserves something.

Some random thoughts about this process that you are all going through. It is not fair. It never was and never will be. The changes to the process through the years have not really helped the candidate at all. CASS was the worst thing ever. All it does is make you check progress over and over and over again. What is the result of that? I will call and see what the problem is and get them going on it. All that does is take time away from the people that are processing the applications. What would you think would happen if every candidate did that. There is a reason the phone numbers are not published by the agency and are only given to the individuals that need them to correct problems. The reality is you cannot affect the process. You can only affect how you interact and present yourself in the process. You can do that in a positive way or a negative way.

FB

Comment

• +1 FB! I could not agree more.

Gbeck,
                  On the FLIP side... I processed with a few agencies.. made it through their ENTIRE processing... and was not hired because of my score, or lack of funds, etc. It took me a few tries but I got there. Do not waste your time and energy on complaining. Re-focus and try again. If this is what you want to do... you should be asking yourself one thing; "How do you I make myself a better candidate?"

Good luck with your endeavors.
                  Last edited by seeOH; 01-06-2013, 06:53 PM.

Comment

• Well.... that's why we need to continue our life without the CBP process..... I am just waiting for a good news (it could be, I passed or I am DQ) any one is good news for me... will be good because I just want to close doors....... I have a good job and CBP is just a good opportunity, something that I want but is not the end of the world if I don't got it... My polygrapher told me that I did not passed one portion, so I am waiting...
                    Geo:SWB
                    CBPO Exam:12/10
                    TSl: 5/11
                    Medical & Pft1:9/11 Passed
                    Met BI:1/12
                    VBT/SI:10/11 Passed
                    Drug Test:04/12 Passed
                    Qual:cleared 3/12
                    Polygraph: Scheduled 11/23/12
                    PFT2:
                    EOD:

Comment

• Thats why i applied to more than 1 Agency. Got hired by two the same month and chose CBP. There were plenty of jobs that i thought i qualified for when i retired from the Army, but never received another callback. Its just the way it is.

If you want a LEO job, check around the country and see what cities are in dire need. I know Nashville Metro is always hiring. They start pretty good and if you are fully qualified you get hired. Sometimes you have to be willing to relocate to get something you want. Shoot even if you get CBP you will relocate.

If you are dropped from the process because of the poly, then apply elsewhere..FBI, etc... Most federal LEO jobs require a poly so you will not get away from it.

Comment

• Oh hey look at that i guess we all received our you failed your polygraph so have a great life letter at the same time gentlemen! Oh jeez where do I even start... well I'm just glad I've spun up my B plan, and that route's success is only dependent on my effort and hard work not people's interpretations and speculations. I'm so over this polygraph deal, honestly I asked the examiner for a second poly and he told me things were out of his hands, so I think I'm just going to withdraw my application, and try with another agency sometime down the road.

Comment

• Did any of yours guys background investigators contact your wife or husband?

Comment

• Originally posted by Firefox View Post
                            Did any of yours guys background investigators contact your wife or husband?
                            yes,.....
                            Geo:SWB
                            CBPO Exam:12/10
                            TSl: 5/11
                            Medical & Pft1:9/11 Passed
                            Met BI:1/12
                            VBT/SI:10/11 Passed
                            Drug Test:04/12 Passed
                            Qual:cleared 3/12
                            Polygraph: Scheduled 11/23/12
                            PFT2:
                            EOD:

Comment

• Originally posted by Shark View Post
                              yes,.....
                              I was curious because my background has been cleared but an investigator called and said the previous investigator did not do the spouse interview and CBP requested to have it added to my file.

Comment

• Yeeeep sure did.
                                Last edited by -USER-; 01-07-2013, 07:41 PM.
                                BPA
                                Applied (CA): 08/02/11
                                TSU: 01/03/13
                                The Call: 02/01/13

CBPO
                                Applied (SWB): 03/14/12
                                Written Test: 04/19/12
                                NOR: 05/25/12 (88 no pref)
                                TSL1&2: 06/12, 06/13/12
                                Pre-Employment forms: Completed
                                Qualifications: Completed (GS-05)
                                PFT1: 07/12/12 Completed
                                Medical: 07/31/12 Completed
                                VBT/SI: 08/24/12 Completed
                                Drug Screening: 12/26/12 Completed
                                Background Investigation: Completed
                                Polygraph: 12/14/12 (cleared 12/19/12)
                                BI Meeting: 12/20/12
                                TSU: 12/27/12
                                The Call: 02/01/13

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6280 users online. 228 members and 6052 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X