Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just got an email about this, i passed my poly on 11/29/2012 and i was 100% honest i was looking at talking to the investigator to clarify things up and update my paper work and this is what i get.. I was 16-17 at the time and i am now 24 active duty and serving with honor. I feel like shes not giving me a chance, what should i do? I have been to college and i have not used this or anything else since High school. Do i have a chance to redeem myself? im looking foward to everyones response.

Good Afternoon Junior Herrera,

I am processing your case for your suitability as it relates to the CBPO position in which you’ve applied.

Due to your excessive marijuana use (50 times) admitted on the polygraph exam administered to you by CBP on 11/29/2012), this office cannot find you suitable at this time; and you’d be more than likely found unsuitable for the position in which you’ve applied.

I am writing today to afford you one of two options. You may continue in the process; but again, you’d be more than likely found unsuitable. If so; the information provided would stay on our records; as well as other federal agencies would be privy to the information should you apply to any agency outside of CBP (as the information is provided through US Office of Personnel Management).

The other option is to withdraw from consideration at this time-due to excessive drug use which was omitted on your application paperwork. This would allow you to place some passage of time between the excessive drug use then reapply. At which point, you may be in a more favorable position regarding your suitability. At this time; your excessive drug use deems you unsuitable.

If you withdraw, please contact me expeditiously. I can provide you with further information as to reapplying and info on the examinations taken/given and how long they are good for.

If you choose not to withdraw, please let me know of that decision also.

Per Polygraph Report: Between approximately 2005 and April 2006, HERRERA used marijuana approximately 50 times with teenage friends who provided the marijuana at no cost.

Thank you kindly,

Federal Agent

Personnel Security Division

Office of Internal Affairs

U.S. Customs & Border Protection (DHS)[/B]
    Last edited by jherrera367; 12-10-2012, 09:26 PM.

Comment

• I am in a similar boat as you above. When I got my letter, 2 options were not listed as yours. Mine just said that before a final decision is made, I am afforded the opportunity to provide a written response than explains what happened. If u read my previous post, I was found unsuitable due to smoking MJ 5 times from June 2000-June 2011. Only once in 2011 since 2000, which is the honest truth and was listed in my e-qip forms.
      I am now writing my response and will have a family friend lawyer proof read it.

Comment

• While I commend you folks for telling the truth, at the end of the day there is no one to blame about being DQ'd from the process for drug use but yourself. This is proof positive that the actions one makes have lasting effects. There are many people including myself who have been in positions to use drugs but have abstained from using and we are being rewarded for making good decisions. I am not judging you by any means, but not following laws shows a propensity to partake in risky behavior which is something that is not needed in law enforcement. With that being said, I hope you guys are able to get into a position that makes you happy at somepoint.

Comment

• Yes, you have a point. Then again with all due respect, we all come from different walks of life. Some of us at young age have done things that we are not proud of. Im a man now, i admit to my mistakes. As a teenager your not fully developed and your concious is not that of an older, more mature individual. I have sacrificed and have continue honorably serve our nation with dignity and purpose more then most people have done their whole life.Now that i am a more mature person, i know whats wrong from right. Just saying, no offense.. 6 1/2 years ago. i believe i have earned everything i have worked so hard for me.. my wife our son and this nation.

Thank you everyone for your response, i will hopefully have an opportunity to do an NOPA if it comes down to that.
          Last edited by jherrera367; 12-11-2012, 12:17 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jherrera367 View Post
            Yes, you have a point. Then again with all due respect, we all come from different walks of life. Some of us at young age have done things that we are not proud of. Im a man now, i admit to my mistakes. As a teenager your not fully developed and your concious is not that of an older, more mature individual. With all due respect, i have sacrificed and continue to serve this country with purpose more then most people have done their whole life. I am a more mature person now and i obviously know whats wrong from right. Just saying, no offense.. 6 1/2 years ago. i believe i have earned everything i have worked so hard for, for me.. my wife, son and our nation.

Thank you everyone for your response, i will hopefully have an opportunity to do an NOPA if it comes down to that.
            I can absolutely appreciate your stance on this. I was purely stating that as a young people we still know right from wrong. I am not against you by any means and hope it all works out for you in in the end, but if it doesn't happen the system has not failed you it is just a repurcussion of youthful ignorance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Firefox View Post
              I can absolutely appreciate your stance on this. I was purely stating that as a young people we still know right from wrong. I am not against you by any means and hope it all works out for you in in the end, but if it doesn't happen the system has not failed you it is just a repurcussion of youthful ignorance.
              Thank you, im really dissapointed.. but i see how much this has affected me and countless others, i assume. I just could not bare to lie.. for my values are held to a higher standard. With that being said.. thank you, once again for your input.

Comment

• In my opinion, ignoring this:

Due to your excessive marijuana use (50 times) admitted on the polygraph exam administered to you by CBP on 11/29/2012), this office cannot find you suitable at this time; and you’d be more than likely found unsuitable for the position in which you’ve applied.

I am writing today to afford you one of two options. You may continue in the process; but again, you’d be more than likely found unsuitable. If so; the information provided would stay on our records; as well as other federal agencies would be privy to the information should you apply to any agency outside of CBP (as the information is provided through US Office of Personnel Management).

The other option is to withdraw from consideration at this time-due to excessive drug use which was omitted on your application paperwork. This would allow you to place some passage of time between the excessive drug use then reapply. At which point, you may be in a more favorable position regarding your suitability. At this time; your excessive drug use deems you unsuitable.

If you withdraw, please contact me expeditiously. I can provide you with further information as to reapplying and info on the examinations taken/given and how long they are good for.

If you choose not to withdraw, please let me know of that decision also."

Roughly translates into this outcome...

My advice, take the off-ramp the nice lady is offering you and withdraw. Ask her when you withdraw about what reasonable options you have and what sort of timelines the agency is looking for between your last use of MJ and your failure to disclose your substantial prior usage on your initial application.

Then reapply after you've met the timelines the agency is looking for...which I'm guessing will be around 10 years of being clean of the weed, and maybe 3-5 years of down-time from the initial application.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by merlin436; 12-11-2012, 12:56 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RichieRich707 View Post
                  Hey everyone, been lurking here for a while now. tested in july, passed the medical,pft1, vbt/si. well yesterday i got a NOPA, was found unsuitable due to marijuana used 5 times from 2000-2011. i smoked 4 times as a sophmore in highschool in 2001 and took ONE hit at a bachelor party in june 2011. Im currenty writing an appeal since they gave me a choice.

has anyone heard of someone winning the appeal and getting to move on? I am kicking myself in the *** non stop for that mistake, honestly, I wasnt planning on applying for CBP when it happened but things change. While doing the e-qip, everyone told me to NOT leave ANYTHING out of it, so i didnt. i felt like i had nothing to hide, but now, i feel like im screwed.
                  I don't believe you have any reasonable chance to beat a NOPA that details smoking weed a mere 18 months ago.

It's double especially not likely since you were apparently 26 years-old at the time.

Comment

• would the letter they send specifically say NOPA? i read some other stories online and it seems others were given the options to withdraw or to continue on. My letter just said i was found unsuitable for the reason and that i am afforded to write a response before a final decission is made.

jherreras letter was different than mine. his seemed like a personal message. mine seemed like a standard generic one.
                    Last edited by RichieRich707; 12-11-2012, 03:15 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                      I don't believe you have any reasonable chance to beat a NOPA that details smoking weed a mere 18 months ago.

It's double especially not likely since you were apparently 26 years-old at the time.
                      I'm going to have to agree with Merlin. It's just too soon. Good Luck.
                      "Any nation that does not honor it's heroes will not long endure"
                      -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• At least you people got no one but yourselves to blame for smoking dope. There is something to be said for not failed a TV test like some of us here did

Oh well, give it some time and reapply like everyone else.

Comment

• Originally posted by ForzaMilan View Post
                          At least you people got no one but yourselves to blame for smoking dope. There is something to be said for not failed a TV test like some of us here did

Oh well, give it some time and reapply like everyone else.
                          Haha good call.

Good luck to you guys, It is definitely important to remember that every action has an equal and opposite reaction. You can't change the past obviously, but it is important to realize the mistakes that were made so as not to repeat them. I would take the opportunity to withdraw and look into other options down the road. It sucks but it's part of growing as a person. Everyone has done stuff they are not proud of or been in situations where they could have made better choices. It's a learning process...
                          GEO: Northeast
                          Test: 4/12, 96 no vet pref
                          TSL 1 & 2: 9/12
                          e-QIP & Fingerprint: 9/12
                          Medical: 10/12 (results in Med Review Office)
                          PFT1: 10/12 (Passed, Green in CASS)
                          VBT/SI: 11/12 (Passed, Green in CASS)
                          Pre-Employment Forms: Pending
                          Qualifications: Pending
                          Drug Screening: Pending
                          BI: Pending

MA Police: 4/11, Score of 96

MA Fire Fighter: 4/12, Score of 99
                          Passed ELPAT/Written

Comment

• My post actually didn't make much sense upon second read. But what I was trying to say is suck it up, wait a few more years and try again. Try other places and be patient. Without risking to sound like a motivational speaker, I believe that those who really want something and try to achieve it, in the end will be succesful.

Comment

• Originally posted by jherrera367 View Post
                              I just got an email about this, i passed my poly on 11/29/2012 and i was 100% honest i was looking at talking to the investigator to clarify things up and update my paper work and this is what i get.. I was 16-17 at the time and i am now 24 active duty and serving with honor. I feel like shes not giving me a chance, what should i do? I have been to college and i have not used this or anything else since High school. Do i have a chance to redeem myself? im looking foward to everyones response.

Good Afternoon Junior Herrera,

I am processing your case for your suitability as it relates to the CBPO position in which you’ve applied.

If you choose not to withdraw, please let me know of that decision also.

Per Polygraph Report: Between approximately 2005 and April 2006, HERRERA used marijuana approximately 50 times with teenage friends who provided the marijuana at no cost.

Thank you kindly,

Federal Agent

Personnel Security Division

Office of Internal Affairs

U.S. Customs & Border Protection (DHS)[/B]
                              For me, the more troubling piece of information was buried in the letter to you. It appears that you failed to disclose the drug use on your application paperwork (sf-86 etc.). You did not complete that application when you were a teenager. You completed that paperwork rather recently as you are very quick to make everyone aware "serving the country honorably on active duty." It could appear to the adjudicator that you only disclosed the fact when you believed that it could be verified. I just find it interesting that your values that you say hold you to a higher standard so much so that you couldn't bear to lie only seem to affect you when hooked to the box but not when you were filling out the application paperwork.

FB
                              Last edited by Firebug; 12-12-2012, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• I got the call! (again!)

Only option was Charlotte, NC - which I accepted. 3 years to transfer, right?

EOD: 1/14/13
                                FLETC: 2/14 - 6/20

Anyone coming with?
                                CBPO
                                Geo - Southeast
                                Test - 10/08/11
                                NOR - 10/21/11 (100)
                                NOR 2 - 4/06/12 (still 100)
                                T.O.- 6/7/12
                                e-Quip Completed - 6/24/12
                                Med/fitness - 6/10/12
                                VBT/SI - 7/25/12
                                Poly - 9/09/12
                                Drug Test - 11/30

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10436 users online. 380 members and 10056 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X