Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all, is this medical and fitness exam part of my pre-employment forms, since its been two+ months and quals and forms havent gone green? I know i should just be patient and see, but never hurts to ask. Just took it today and maxed everything and then some.

Thanks, and goodluck to everyone that should hopefully be getting calls in the next 3 weeks for jan FLETC.
    Last edited by payniel; 10-16-2012, 04:56 PM. Reason: I figured my original question out
    CBPO:
    Test- 05/12
    NOR- 08/12 (95- w/5 point vet pref)
    TSL1/2-08/12
    PFT1/Med-09/12
    VBT/SI-10/12
    Poly-11/12
    BI-12/12
    TSU-01/24/13
    1st "Call"-02/26/13- 30 day referral for a better selection

OCSO:
    Applied- 06/12
    PFT-07/12
    CJBAT- 12/12
    Panel Interview- 01/13
    BI- in process

FBI
    Phase two: probably never

Comment

• A question for active Officers/Agents only please (I can't afford to operate off of assumptions and/or wives tails):

I am currently serving as a Police Officer with the Dept of Veterans Affairs. I am a GS 6 step 3 (soon to be 4). I am currently receiving a locality of 24.19% and an annual retention pay kicker of around 5-10% of base pay. All that said, my salary is approximately 43.8k per year, on paper. My CBPO file entered the scheduling unit on 9/18, fr the SWB.

So here is my concern/question: When I rotate to the CBPO position, and am started as a GS 7, will I automatically be started as a step 1? I am told that the government will never allow someone to take a higher pay grade, and have them end up losing money in the end. Something to the effect of pay matching. While stationed in CBPO basic academy, I will be losing my higher locality, and obviously the retention pay in my current agency. Has anyone ever known the CBP to match a current government employees pay from their current location, including their locality? My concern would be, to be absent from my wife and kids for 6 months, without the opportunity to earn OT, while having a $5k pay decrease for them to deal with. Or, is there any chance of receiving GS7 step 5 to maintain my current financial status for my family?

Before any self-righteous indignant’s fire at me...YES, I fully know that I do not have to take the CBPO position and I can always stay where I am at. YES, I fully understand that there are many other people out there that would love to have the position that I am currently serving in (they can have it...I am trying to better myself and my families future). YES, I fully understand that there are many other items that might offend or upset you by me asking this question…and I am also aware that THE CHOICE IS MINE. I am not asking for anyone to remind me of those apparently forgettable facts. I am merely attempting to learn all I can about a position prior to jumping into the academy and crying about my financial shortfall later.

Thank you for any experiential knowledge and/or pubs/directives that you might be able to point out to me.

Respectfully,
      Verve10
      CBPO
      Exam: 07/11; NOR: 8/11 99 w/Vet Pts; Qualifications: (GS-7 Step 4); T.O: 09/11 (SWB); PFT1: 9/11; Med Cleared: 4/12; VBT/S.I.: 10/11; Drug Test: Passed 6/11; Poly: Passed 12/08/11; BI: Complete 12/28/11, PFT2: Passed 12/12/12, EOD: 12/31/12 San Ysidro

Comment

• ^^^i think you should call OPM directly

Comment

• You can say that again I took my written back in Aug of last year and I've had green checks since march of this year and I yet to hear anything about my BI other than its in the security office and no call for my poly either

Comment

• Originally posted by Verve10 View Post
            A question for active Officers/Agents only please (I can't afford to operate off of assumptions and/or wives tails):

I am currently serving as a Police Officer with the Dept of Veterans Affairs. I am a GS 6 step 3 (soon to be 4). I am currently receiving a locality of 24.19% and an annual retention pay kicker of around 5-10% of base pay. All that said, my salary is approximately 43.8k per year, on paper. My CBPO file entered the scheduling unit on 9/18, fr the SWB.

So here is my concern/question: When I rotate to the CBPO position, and am started as a GS 7, will I automatically be started as a step 1? I am told that the government will never allow someone to take a higher pay grade, and have them end up losing money in the end. Something to the effect of pay matching. While stationed in CBPO basic academy, I will be losing my higher locality, and obviously the retention pay in my current agency. Has anyone ever known the CBP to match a current government employees pay from their current location, including their locality? My concern would be, to be absent from my wife and kids for 6 months, without the opportunity to earn OT, while having a $5k pay decrease for them to deal with. Or, is there any chance of receiving GS7 step 5 to maintain my current financial status for my family?

Before any self-righteous indignant’s fire at me...YES, I fully know that I do not have to take the CBPO position and I can always stay where I am at. YES, I fully understand that there are many other people out there that would love to have the position that I am currently serving in (they can have it...I am trying to better myself and my families future). YES, I fully understand that there are many other items that might offend or upset you by me asking this question…and I am also aware that THE CHOICE IS MINE. I am not asking for anyone to remind me of those apparently forgettable facts. I am merely attempting to learn all I can about a position prior to jumping into the academy and crying about my financial shortfall later.

Thank you for any experiential knowledge and/or pubs/directives that you might be able to point out to me.

Respectfully,
            Verve10
            Verve10-

This is also a question I have. I currently work for the BOP, and I wonder if they will match my pay and honor my step increases based on my EOD date with the BOP. I have heard people say that the government will match pay, and some say that they won't. It would be nice to get a response from someone who really knows what they are talking about. I am going to take the CBP job regardless of whether or not I have to take a pay decrease... it would just be nice to not have to..

Comment

• Originally posted by Bees View Post
              Just to confuse everyone a little bit more...

My friend received a call to schedule their polygraph yesterday.
              Meanwhile, we tested in the same city; however, I tested a month before them and got a higher score - but I have yet to receive a call for a polygraph.

No rhyme or reason, yet again!

Waiting patiently by the phone today...
              Once you get your TSl the score you got is meaningless. You think you're frustrated take a look at my timeline and I'm also still waiting for the poly call. Sit back and relax my friend just about everybody is waiting on the poly. Don't try and figure this process out you will just get a headache. Hopefully you move faster through this then me, who am I kidding you probably will everybody else does haha.
              Last edited by Rms16; 10-16-2012, 07:24 PM.
              NYPD Exam: 3310 9/12
              Score:9X.XX%
              List#2XX 5/2013

NCPD Exam: 2000 12/12

PAPD Exam: 6/13 Qualified

Comment

• Originally posted by azcactus42 View Post
                Verve10-

This is also a question I have. I currently work for the BOP, and I wonder if they will match my pay and honor my step increases based on my EOD date with the BOP. I have heard people say that the government will match pay, and some say that they won't. It would be nice to get a response from someone who really knows what they are talking about. I am going to take the CBP job regardless of whether or not I have to take a pay decrease... it would just be nice to not have to..
                You will not take a pay decrease. I transferred from the BOP last year and CBP gave me one step above what my GL pay was on the GS scale. So I actually got a raise of about 2K. Good luck.
                CBPO
                TO - 05/08 JFK
                EOD - 12/05/2011

Comment

• Yes, very hard to get....it is always gone when I get there...
                  Geo:Texas CBPO Exam:10/11
                  Medical & Pft1:12/22/11 Passed
                  Met BI:4/12
                  VBT/SI:01/26/12 Passed
                  Drug Test:04/26/12 Passed
                  Qual:cleared 04/12
                  PFT2:05/23/12 Passed
                  EOD:06/18/12
                  FLETC:7/16/12

Comment

• for the people in academy or CBPOs, I wanted to know exactly how long was your pre-academy training? i have heard various things from a month to 1 1/2 months. also i have heard that some people get their employment letter, which tells them when to be at their duty location, and that in a lot of cases people don't even get to turn in a two week notice the their employer. what process can i expect when i finally get the call besides the pft2?

Comment

• Originally posted by heaven192 View Post
                      for the people in academy or CBPOs, I wanted to know exactly how long was your pre-academy training? i have heard various things from a month to 1 1/2 months. also i have heard that some people get their employment letter, which tells them when to be at their duty location, and that in a lot of cases people don't even get to turn in a two week notice the their employer. what process can i expect when i finally get the call besides the pft2?
                      There is no standard for pre-academy length. Gennerally, it's about four weeks long. As with many other things within CBP, different circumstances bring about different results. Expect something between a week and several months and you'll likely not be surprised by with whatever particulars you happen to be required to deal with.

Comment

• heart jumped this evening with the mid-month email of fitness tips...

but then this was said:

"Note: The next academy classes for the Border Patrol Agent and Customs and Border Protection Officer positions are tentatively scheduled for January, 2013. We encourage you to use the next few months to continue preparing for the second fitness test."
                        tested in San Diego- SWB, 10/11
                        NOR-11/11
                        TSL- 11/17/11
                        pft1- 12/8/11
                        Pre-E Forms-completed 3/12
                        Qual- completed 3/12
                        Medical Ex- completed 4/12
                        S I-completed 3/12
                        Drug Screening- completed 6/7/12
                        Background Investigation- met with BI 6/5/13
                        Fitness- completed 12/12

EOD- 9/9/13 SYS
                        Fletc- 10-15-13, class 338
                        new fletc date- 11-18-13

SYS CBPO 4-1-2014

Comment

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just saw that I have all green check marks! however, I have not met with a background investigator nor have any of my references have been contacted yet... how is that possible?
                          CBPO
                          Exam: Pass 88 6/28/11
                          Geo: SWB
                          Qual: Passed
                          Medical: Passed
                          Pft1: Passed 59 Situps 83 Pushups
                          BI: Pending
                          VBT/SI: Passed
                          Drug Test: Passed
                          Poly: 9/10/12
                          PFT2: ?
                          The Call: 10/29/12
                          EOD: Dec 3
                          Academy: Jan 10 - May 16

Comment

• Originally posted by Verve10 View Post
                            A question for active Officers/Agents only please (I can't afford to operate off of assumptions and/or wives tails):

Respectfully,
                            Verve10
                            If you qualified as a 7, you begin as a 7-1... For pay-match to go into effect you can't factor in the locality pay you get with your current job or any other incentives. GS6-3 is about $1,000 less than GS-7. So... as to your assumption that no one can be allowed with higher pay, we have a recent grad in our port that went through the academy as a GS7-10 because of his prior federal employment. That one can be thrown out the window. The academy is 19 weeks if you don't need Spanish, you will get locality pay for the region your port is located not where you're at right now, and as mentioned before any agency bonuses you get right now are not factored in. You will not be able to make OT for at least 2-3 months after you come back from the academy, as you have to be certified to do so after some post academy training.
                            What you need to do is to think about where the job will lead you instead of what you're not getting right off the bat... as in you'll be a GS12 3 years into the job! Sacrificing for a little while won't be that bad. A year into it you'll be a GS9 making more than what you make now.

Best of luck!
                            CBPO
                            Written: 08/29/2007
                            EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• Thats great! Have you been adjudicated recently on a different selection? Meaning have you had a background done on you in the recent past?

My reply is to Baja
                              Last edited by BPhopeful; 10-17-2012, 02:16 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BPhopeful View Post
                                Thats great! Have you been adjudicated recently on a different selection? Meaning have you had a background done on you in the recent past?

My reply is to BaHa

No
                                CBPO
                                Exam: Pass 88 6/28/11
                                Geo: SWB
                                Qual: Passed
                                Medical: Passed
                                Pft1: Passed 59 Situps 83 Pushups
                                BI: Pending
                                VBT/SI: Passed
                                Drug Test: Passed
                                Poly: 9/10/12
                                PFT2: ?
                                The Call: 10/29/12
                                EOD: Dec 3
                                Academy: Jan 10 - May 16

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9827 users online. 361 members and 9466 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X