300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by yoda View Post
    From what I've read here, there is non. There are some hot spots near that you might be able to tap into from what I've seen posted here.
    Last year, you could go wireless at the "G Bar", many people brought their laptops in there. Couldnt get a signal in my room in the Taj, but if you have aol or hotmail service you can simply use the phone line to dial up. It's slow, but does the job for checking your bills and email, etc. This was last year, so keep in mind things may have changed (but i doubt it).

Comment

• Originally posted by Orleanian84 View Post
      Out of curiosity, how is the pay for CSI officers? Are there benifits like housing, per diem allowance, hazard pay, etc?
      There are two types of CSI assignments, TDY's and Permanent. TDY'ers are given a generous per diem and a substantial housing allowance. While TDY, your pay is whatever GS level your at plus locality pay for whatever stateside port your assigned to. TDY assignments vary in length from 6 months to a year (or less if you screw up and are sent back home). You used to be able to give your top three choices of where you wanted to go, but no longer. Your assignment is at HQ discretion.

Permanent assignments are posted via USAJobs and vary in length from two to five years. You put in for the port you want when it opens. While you aren't paid per diem, the state dept. pays for your utilities, your children's schooling as well as part of your housing costs. Your pay is the base GS scale. Another bonus to permanent is that, once done, HQ will try to get you into the stateside port of your choice.

In both cases, you need at least your 11 to get the assignment. I don't think selection for CSI makes you as elite as others here believe, but you need to be able to prove you act professionally and have at least a basic understanding of seaport ops. While I had about four years experience working at the LA/Long Beach seaport, I had next to zero targeting experience when I was selected. Definitely one of the most professionally and personally rewarding experiences of my career.

Comment

• This is a record for the Customs and Border Protection Officer examination you recently took. This is not a job offer.

Your score may be found under "Rating" below; "70.0" or higher is passing. Any changes to your record (i.e. address,

email address, telephone numbers, veterans preference claim, and/or geographic location code change) must be

submitted in writing. Please contact the REX Unit at the address above (Attn: REX-CBPO), or by fax at

612-727-2225, or by email at [email protected] with your requested change(s).

ATTN VETERANS: If you passed the written examination and are claiming 5 or 10 points veterans' preference, the

points are included in your score. If you receive a tentative selection letter, you will be required to provide proof of

preference at that time.

Series - Position Title: 1895 - CUSTOMS AND BORDER PROTECTION OFFICER

Vacancy ID Number: 190623

Announcement Number: CBPO 08-03

Date of Availability: 08/06/2008

Full-time Employment: Yes

Geographic Availability:

Illinois, IL

I just changed my geographic location from Michigan to Chicago. This is directly from the email I received.

Comment

• That is weird. So how come when I tried to change my GEO the other day the lady gave me a short list of which places I could change it to. NYC/JFK(what I wanted) was not on the list and neither was Chicago/Illinois. How did you go about changing it (email,phone fax,mail?) and do you know the name of the person who helped you? If so can you PM it to me so I can see if we dealt with the same person or if I should ask to speak to someone else.
          Last edited by imlikeaninja; 09-08-2008, 11:37 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by imlikeaninja View Post
            That is weird. So how come when I tried to change my GEO the other day the lady gave me a short list of which places I could change it to. NYC/JFK(what I wanted) was not on the list and neither was Chicago/Illinois. How did you go about changing it (email,phone fax,mail?) and do you know the name of the person who helped you? If so can you PM it to me so I can see if we dealt with the same person or if I should ask to speak to someone else.
            Did you apply before or after the extension?

I would assume that if you applied before the extension you would be able to change your geo preference without limitations. If you applied after the extension you would be limited to only the critical need areas that the annoucement was extended for.

That's my reasoning, it could be completely wrong. But, that's the only explanation I can come up with.

Good Luck

Comment

• as far as I can tell I applied to the same vacancy announcement as vic (the numbers all match up). My NOR also says Vacancy ID Number: 190623. I don't know anything about any extension. Here is the announcement I applied for.

Vacancy Ann.#: CBPO 08-03
              Who May Apply: Public
              Pay Plan: GS-1895-05/07
              Appointment Term: Permanent
              Job Status: Full-Time
              Opening Date: 6/30/2008
              Salary: From 29,726.00 to 47,864.00 USD per year

Homeland Security, Customs and Border Protection US-NY-New York City and JFK Airport 29,726.00+

I don't wanna sound like a whiney B***h but I'm trying to figure out if I should pursue this with the hiring center or just hang tight and wait for a new announcement.

Comment

• If I email the MHC will they well me a list of geographic preferences that I am available for?

Comment

as far as I can tell I applied to the same vacancy announcement as vic (the numbers all match up). My NOR also says Vacancy ID Number: 190623. I don't know anything about any extension. Here is the announcement I applied for.

Vacancy Ann.#: CBPO 08-03
                  Who May Apply: Public
                  Pay Plan: GS-1895-05/07
                  Appointment Term: Permanent
                  Job Status: Full-Time
                  Opening Date: 6/30/2008
                  Salary: From 29,726.00 to 47,864.00 USD per year

Homeland Security, Customs and Border Protection US-NY-New York City and JFK Airport 29,726.00+

I don't wanna sound like a whiney B***h but I'm trying to figure out if I should pursue this with the hiring center or just hang tight and wait for a new announcement.
                  Did you apply before or after July 21?

Originally posted by gms632 View Post
                  If I email the MHC will they well me a list of geographic preferences that I am available for?
                  I wouldn't see a problem with that. They are usually pretty helpful.

Comment

• Originally posted by shawal16 View Post
                    Did you apply before or after July 21?
                    after, but the vacancy announcement was open till August 3rd.

Comment

Unfortunately that answers the question. After July 21, the vacancy was only open for certain locations only.

Comment

Not for nothing, but have you considered maybe moving for a job to PA, if they put you in the eastern part of the state it's a short drive back to family and friends and it's just dirt cheap to live there (compared to our wonderful tri-state area).

The trick is getting a job out there but I know some people who live like kings on two GS 11 salaries (non CBP, or law enforcement for that matter.)

Moving is a huge decision, but PA definitely has a lot of upside to it if you have a definite job out there.

Comment

• Hi. I took the CBP test back in March, received a 97 (no vet points), with a Geo. Pref. of Buffalo. Passed the VBT, Fitness, and Drug Testing in early June and just had my Medical cleared on August 29th. I have a question regarding the status of my background in CASS. It says that the background documentation to begin my investigation has not been received. Is this normal or is there something that needs to be completed on my part?

Comment

• Originally posted by GooseGunner10 View Post
                            Hi. I took the CBP test back in March, received a 97 (no vet points), with a Geo. Pref. of Buffalo. Passed the VBT, Fitness, and Drug Testing in early June and just had my Medical cleared on August 29th. I have a question regarding the status of my background in CASS. It says that the background documentation to begin my investigation has not been received. Is this normal or is there something that needs to be completed on my part?
                            considered you are lucky to clear your medical, I am still pending due to my lasik surgery for 3 months later, as far as I know, the investigator will contact you soon. so be patience and wait for additional weeks.

Comment

• FLETC training dates for 2009?

Does anyone know what the start dates are for 2009. I'm trying to plan a wedding for Jan 3rd. and I have a feeling training starts Jan 19th. Passed everything, except retesting vision on November 15th (3 months post op for Lasik surgery).

Comment

• Originally posted by triplejump View Post
                                Does anyone know what the start dates are for 2009. I'm trying to plan a wedding for Jan 3rd. and I have a feeling training starts Jan 19th. Passed everything, except retesting vision on November 15th (3 months post op for Lasik surgery).
                                If 2007 and 2008 are an indicator classes will be starting every week, maybe twice a week.
                                Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6721 users online. 384 members and 6337 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X