300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
    Dfly's co-worker is the first case I've ever heard of where the port has picked up the cost of lodging for a pre-academy hire. I'd love to hear the full story behind that.

Good luck getting any port, anywhere involved in paying for pre-academy lodging for anyone. I've never seen it since 2002. Unless things are changing, I doubt anyone else here will see it either.
    I'm not to sure about the whole story all I know is he was from puerto rico and they put him in a hotel. I'm not sure if they are footing the whole bill or what. He's at FLETC now so when I catch up to him I'll see if I an get more info about it.
    Day one at CBP: Aug 4th, 2008
    Day one at FLETC: Sept 3, 2008 Class 863
    Graduated Dec 18, 2008

Its game on from here....

Comment

• Originally posted by Dfly123 View Post
      I'm not to sure about the whole story all I know is he was from puerto rico and they put him in a hotel. I'm not sure if they are footing the whole bill or what. He's at FLETC now so when I catch up to him I'll see if I an get more info about it.
      Well...I'll be willing to bet that once you dig further you'll find something along the line of that while someone at the port might have pointed him towards a motel, he's footing his own bill. Or maybe it's a motel own by a CBPO/CBP family member and someone's being generous.

If Uncle Sugar's footing the bill, I'll be suprised.

Unless maybe the guy's on a TDY from some tiny outport and doing pre-academy at a larger, busier port. I've never seen a TDY for a new hire, but I suppose it could happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
        What's a BPO?

BPA's(Border Patrol Agents) get LEO pay, CBPO's(Customs and Border Protection Officers) do not.
        http://www.hstoday.us/content/view/4128/128/
        http://www.nteu.org/PressKits/PressR...e.aspx?ID=1301
        Last edited by cargo82; 09-02-2008, 01:43 AM.

Comment

• wow i had no clue this happened.................its good for CBPO though, and deserved IMO

Comment

• Actually, merlin is correct. CBPOs do not get LEO pay, they got LEO retirement and the age limits that come with it.

Comment

• Actually...CBPO's aren't even getting "LEO retirement", we're getting "enhanced CBPO retirement". However, the two are equal. At least they are for everyone hired on or after 07/06/2008.

6C/12D retirement was modified to include CBPO's as an add-on. What wasn't modified was the federal definitions of 'CBPO' and 'LEO' as they relate to each other. The current definition of CBPO does not fall under the current definition of LEO as each is written today. The current federal definition of "LEO" also excludes quite a few other LEO jobs within the fed system, FYI.

As far as "LEO pay" goes, I assuming the original poster is refering to the GL pay scale for those at GL-10 or under. CBPO's do not receive GL pay, PA's and the other regulatory defined "LEO"s do.

Comment

• I know we are all gung ho here about getting selected, but has anyone else but me ever thought of the potential to really dislike this job? From what I understand they make you work 16 hour days, management is poor, and check out this attrition rate from wikipedia:

A November 2007 Government Accountability Office report showed that low staffing, training, and overwork is a large problem within CBP, and an average of 71 officers leave the service every two weeks.

I am frankly a little bit nervous making a large commitement to an agency that does not take care of you. Anyone else have a little trepidation?

Comment

• Originally posted by deyosurf19 View Post
                  I know we are all gung ho here about getting selected, but has anyone else but me ever thought of the potential to really dislike this job? From what I understand they make you work 16 hour days, management is poor, and check out this attrition rate from wikipedia:

A November 2007 Government Accountability Office report showed that low staffing, training, and overwork is a large problem within CBP, and an average of 71 officers leave the service every two weeks.

I am frankly a little bit nervous making a large commitement to an agency that does not take care of you. Anyone else have a little trepidation?
                  Wiki articles can be written by anyone. Sometimes the information may not be valid. There isn't a commitment. You work, you get a paycheck that's the process. If you decide you no longer work you no longer receive a paycheck. No one will force you to stay.

Comment

• Got the call today, I start sept.22 at my port of entry (Douglas) I then go to FLETC Oct.16.

I'll be happy to answer any questions about the process I went through. I'll also make sure to let you guys know how things go at my port and at FLETC

Comment

• Originally posted by shawal16 View Post
                      Wiki articles can be written by anyone. Sometimes the information may not be valid. There isn't a commitment. You work, you get a paycheck that's the process. If you decide you no longer work you no longer receive a paycheck. No one will force you to stay.
                      You leave your family for 4 months, and leave your current job. I'd say that's a commitment.

Additionally, Wiki is a reputable source. That quote was a derivation of a statistic quoted within.

Comment

You leave your family for 4 months, and leave your current job. I'd say that's a commitment.

Additionally, Wiki is a reputable source. That quote was a derivation of a statistic quoted within.

Wiki is only a semi-reputable source for information, if you ask me. Especially on the more controversial/opinionated subjects.

As far as CBP goes, there's a great deal of truth to what you've said. Management is often poor, lots of officers do get forced out on OT, turn over is rather high is many places and there's clearly a need for improved morale...pretty much everywhere.

On the otherhand, I get paid pretty good money for what I do. I've seen many interesting things, went to Glacier National Park for a month on Uncle Sugars dime, and generally perform useful service to both the traveling public and the taxpayer.

It is what it is...unless it changes. The new enhanced retirement is a big change, and that may well usher in new changes in the near future. Time will tell. I'll say one thing, those inside with the most gripes tend to be those who do little beyond looking for things to gripe over.

Comment

I know we are all gung ho here about getting selected, but has anyone else but me ever thought of the potential to really dislike this job? From what I understand they make you work 16 hour days, management is poor, and check out this attrition rate from wikipedia:

Is there a link for this source? Can anyone verify its validity?
                          CBPO- Hawaii
                          Written: 07/31/08
                          TO: 09/23/08
                          Pre-employment Forms: Completed 10/09/08
                          Medical: Completed (11/12/08)
                          Drug Test: Completed (11/13/08)
                          Fitness: Completed (10/15/08)
                          VBT: Completed (11/20/08)
                          BI: Completed (2/19/09)
                          Qualifications: GS7 (3/13/09)
                          Referred to TSU: 3/13/09

IEA
                          TO: 11/4/08

Comment

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Did you look at the sources? Do they look reputable to you, with little or no bias? Have you seen the actual FHCS report? Are you aware of their sample validity and reliability measures (i.e. how they are weighing data in aspects) in obtaining this data? Have you seen HOW they rank agency by agency?

If you haven't, you need to start backing up your claims with "Wikipedia told me so." I'm sorry, but to me, that doesn't fly. I'm not discounting any points you're trying to make, and they could be valid claims, but you need to back them up with something credible, not Wikipedia quoting a blog aggregator community website. Heck, if one of my old college professors noticed me trying to pull that crap, he'd smack a big 'F' on my paper and attach an application to the local McDonalds.

There are varying degrees on how to answer your original question of 'morale' and job satisfaction and the like. A very easy way is to ask CBPOs on this site and see where they stand. If you really want to get down to seeing how the survey stacks up, you should read it. Everyone makes their own opinions, but hopefully they have good reasons behind them.
                            "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

• At this time, which locations are putting through people with a Rating of 91??

Comment

• Originally posted by Barbrady View Post
                                At this time, which locations are putting through people with a Rating of 91??
                                I've seen people applying in MI receiving TOs with that score recently. Haven't heard of other locations sending them out yet though.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10498 users online. 321 members and 10177 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X