Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBP officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by grullj View Post
    Great! Thanks for the advice.

    In that case, can those of you who work for the seaports tell us a little bit about your ports. And can those of you who work for the airports tell us about your ports? Thanks in advance.
    I've worked both airport and seaport and both have there pro's and con's. I'm not really sure what specific comparisons your looking for. Seaport work, while more physically demanding is also a lot more laid back. You don't have a supervisor over your shoulder all day and the public generally leaves you alone. While you work more bankers hours, you also work when the ships come in which can be anytime day or night.

    You'll get to use your brain a little more at the airport but you'll have to put up with more BS. Dealing with passengers can be very frustrating and you run a greater risk of getting pax complaints even if your just doing your job. It's also kind of like office space in that you'll get four or five different supervisors (and officers) nitpicking you for every mistake you make. On the plus side, you'll probably "find" more stuff (I know, this is subjective) and your schedule will be more consistent as the same flights will come in around the same time day after day.

    It's all about preference really. I know people at the seaport who would never go back to the airport (too much negativity) and I know people at the airport who'll never go back to the seaport (too bored).

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Dfly123 View Post
      basically looking at a blind decision, I got a tour of the seaport after about two weeks of working here at the airport. (glad I chose airport). I did get a choice but the class after mine did not since seaport was unavailable. Basically I would suggest trying to find someone who works at both locations, to give out advice... I would assume most large airports are similar to others, same goes for seaports.
      why are you glad you chose the airport over seaport? what didnt you like at the seaport?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by cargo82 View Post
        why are you glad you chose the airport over seaport? what didnt you like at the seaport?
        well from what I saw at the seaport it looked kind of depressing, and the CBPOs that I saw didn't really seem like they enjoyed their jobs. Also, I was told the airport had more opportunities for overtime and is less boring. But in seaports defense I was told they are more "tactical" and they would be more likely to have to pull their weapon.
        Day one at CBP: Aug 4th, 2008
        Day one at FLETC: Sept 3, 2008 Class 863
        Graduated Dec 18, 2008

        Its game on from here....

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Dfly123 View Post
          well from what I saw at the seaport it looked kind of depressing, and the CBPOs that I saw didn't really seem like they enjoyed their jobs. Also, I was told the airport had more opportunities for overtime and is less boring. But in seaports defense I was told they are more "tactical" and they would be more likely to have to pull their weapon.
          Do CBPO's pull their weapons much at any location?

          Comment


          • cass updated

            I remember when it used to be only tues. and thurs. between 10 and 2 oclock for cass updates. I guess thats a thing of the past since mine updated today at about 5:30 pm.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by FutureLE View Post
              Do CBPO's pull their weapons much at any location?
              Im sure it happens, but not often enough to mention

              Comment


              • VBT and Drug Cleared!...BI called giong to hangout with him on Tues =) we'll see!!
                Geo Pref: Miami
                Score: 92
                Grade Level: 5
                EOD: 11/10/2008
                Fletc: 12/02/2008 - 03-20-2008

                Comment


                • 2008 hiring for Miami...

                  Here is what i was told about it today, basically around the start/middle of December they stop hiring every week like they have been for the past month plus, and start hiring again weekly/bi-weekly again in March. The reasoning for this was basically because they need all the "bodies" they can get out on the "floor"(meaning working) between December and March for holidays. That is including the training personel. No trainers means they dont hire until the trainers are back in the training department, which is in March-ish.

                  Now Im not sure if this means that they stop giving people the "call" or if they still give the call, but just push back all the start dates. By the same person I was told that they are still in need of quite a few CBPOs in Miami airport, so if you havent been moving along in the process by mid-december chances are youll have to wait til March until the next step is completed.
                  Day one at CBP: Aug 4th, 2008
                  Day one at FLETC: Sept 3, 2008 Class 863
                  Graduated Dec 18, 2008

                  Its game on from here....

                  Comment


                  • As for everyone who has gone to, or currently is at FLETC, other then essentials, what are some items that you all wish you would have thought of taking before you went? for example: i was told the pillows there suck, so Im thinkin a pillow and blanket set up to take... any other things?

                    Thanks.
                    Day one at CBP: Aug 4th, 2008
                    Day one at FLETC: Sept 3, 2008 Class 863
                    Graduated Dec 18, 2008

                    Its game on from here....

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Dfly123 View Post
                      As for everyone who has gone to, or currently is at FLETC, other then essentials, what are some items that you all wish you would have thought of taking before you went? for example: i was told the pillows there suck, so Im thinkin a pillow and blanket set up to take... any other things?

                      Thanks.
                      Well if youre driving you'll have some room, so take the little things like hangers, laundry basket, etc. A radio or Ipod docking station is cool if you like to hang outside. Take a cooler too (comes in handy) and a laptop is nice if you have one.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Dfly123 View Post
                        2008 hiring for Miami...

                        Here is what i was told about it today, basically around the start/middle of December they stop hiring every week like they have been for the past month plus, and start hiring again weekly/bi-weekly again in March. The reasoning for this was basically because they need all the "bodies" they can get out on the "floor"(meaning working) between December and March for holidays. That is including the training personel. No trainers means they dont hire until the trainers are back in the training department, which is in March-ish.

                        Now Im not sure if this means that they stop giving people the "call" or if they still give the call, but just push back all the start dates. By the same person I was told that they are still in need of quite a few CBPOs in Miami airport, so if you havent been moving along in the process by mid-december chances are youll have to wait til March until the next step is completed.

                        does anyone know how the hiring process is here in Atlanta?

                        Comment


                        • What to weat for the VBT

                          OK i have my VBT here in Georgia next week, but im not exacle sure what i should wear, a suit, nice slacks and shirt and tie or what? any input will help.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by windyctyaudi View Post
                            OK i have my VBT here in Georgia next week, but im not exacle sure what i should wear, a suit, nice slacks and shirt and tie or what? any input will help.

                            I would suggest wearing what you would wear to any serious interview, cause the VBT is exactly that, an interview.... just a different kind. I chose to wear a tie, others did not. If you use your best judgement, youll be ok.
                            Day one at CBP: Aug 4th, 2008
                            Day one at FLETC: Sept 3, 2008 Class 863
                            Graduated Dec 18, 2008

                            Its game on from here....

                            Comment


                            • Quote:
                              Originally Posted by FutureLE
                              Do CBPO's pull their weapons much at any location?


                              Originally posted by barnaj View Post
                              Im sure it happens, but not often enough to mention
                              Where exactly are you and what are you doing?

                              There are many places where weapons get pulled on a regular basis.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by FutureLE
                                Do CBPO's pull their weapons much at any location?




                                Where exactly are you and what are you doing?

                                There are many places where weapons get pulled on a regular basis.
                                I believe barnaj is an expert on the day-to-day operations of CBP, even though he/she has not attended FLETC yet!

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 16976 users online. 488 members and 16488 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X