300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by leotheleo View Post
    Quick Question - I have been considering joining the Air National Guard. I would also really like the opportunity to become a CBPO. Having zero experience with either position and time requirements associated, would it be possible to pursue both?

If this belongs in another part of the forum let me know.
    I've been with ANG for over 5 years and really enjoy it. PM me

Comment

• Originally posted by EASF View Post
      Hey guys,

I received my NORs last month with a rating of 90, and I chose Florida as my Geo location. Do you guys OTJ or anyone with knowledge or experience about the process has any idea if I will ever get a TSL for that location? or should I just change it to the SWB for a prompt and better chance of being called?

Thanks in advance!
      I will suggest switching to the SWB while it's still a hot ticket and jump into the process right away besides the list is huge for Florida people have been waiting for years to get there plus your score is a 90 I don't think you stand a chance of getting to that geographic location anytime soon

Comment

• Originally posted by yoda View Post
        Just because you are clean doesn't mean that S...T happens and you get set back on your process. I was squeaky clean yet it took me 3.5 years (2 full BI's and a Poly) to finally clear my BI. As I stated before LUCK plays a BIG role in this. Do not assume anything (if you know the saying), expect the worse and if it happens that you fall under those that blow by quickly... then great! But don't expect to fly by the process, and don't place all your eggs in one basket... move along as if you didn't apply. The worst thing you can do right now is hold off on everything else because you think you'll be heading to FLETC in the next few months!
        When I applied in 2007 I completed all the steps in 4 months, that's Test included... Tested at the end of AUG and met my BI in December (which was the last step)...and it was 2011 when it finally cleared. Like you I thought I was blazing through the process... and I opportunities blew by holding off on CBP.
        Thanks for the advice. The thing is I'm very comfortable in my job right now. Also I'm getting paid less than what I'll be paid as a GS-5 CBPO (after deduction of benefits). I kind of don't want to get used to being paid more than what I'll be paid as a CBPO for the first year. I know that may sound a little crazy to some. But it's my decision. Also, you didn't apply to the SWB did you? Because I haven't noticed many SWB applicants taking 4-5 years to get through. It's good advice nonetheless. I'm gonna wait till the end of the year. If nothing happens I'll apply to something else.
        "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your path straight." - Proverbs 3:5,6

Comment

• Originally posted by CTM045 View Post
          I will suggest switching to the SWB while it's still a hot ticket and jump into the process right away besides the list is huge for Florida people have been waiting for years to get there plus your score is a 90 I don't think you stand a chance of getting to that geographic location anytime soon
          Remember, everyone has a slightly different experience. Not everyone that gets FL has been waiting for years. I have a friend that became a CBPO last year and only took him about a year or less to go through the whole process (And his score was also a 90) With that said, I personally would apply to the SWB. There's a much better chance you'll receive a TO there.
          "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your path straight." - Proverbs 3:5,6

Comment

• Originally posted by IamWolf View Post
            Thanks for the advice. The thing is I'm very comfortable in my job right now. Also I'm getting paid less than what I'll be paid as a GS-5 CBPO (after deduction of benefits). I kind of don't want to get used to being paid more than what I'll be paid as a CBPO for the first year. I know that may sound a little crazy to some. But it's my decision. Also, you didn't apply to the SWB did you? Because I haven't noticed many SWB applicants taking 4-5 years to get through. It's good advice nonetheless. I'm gonna wait till the end of the year. If nothing happens I'll apply to something else.
            A tale about provisional clearances you might be interested in hearing...

An acquaintance of mine came on-board with a provisional clearance. Like most people, he figured his BI would clear with little problem and off he went happily to FLETC.

Several months later he graduates...still with the provisional clearance. He get his badge and creds on graduation day for the ceremony and pictures and as soon as the the photos are finished...the badge and creds are snatched back to await full clearance.

Off he goes back to his port...sans badge, creds and gun. No badge, no creds and no gun means limited/light duty. Now, light duty for a full CBPO means limited options. Light duty for a provisional CBPO without anything including full computer access means almost no options.

So, this guy hits his PoE basically without an defined role. He essentially becomes a go-for for his port and gets stuck with all the menial work. He does the mail run, washes the G-rides, sorts paperwork...that kind of stuff. Of course, there's no OT, no differential shifts that go along with this sort of 'work', it's basically a 0800-1600, Mon-Fri job at this point. Basically straight GS-05 base pay.

This guy plods along for nearly a year before his BI finally clears fully, he gets all his gear and is allowed to proceed with post-academy training.

The good...he worked off much of his probation under limited conditions, EOD'd sooner and started his leave and seniority that much quicker. The bad...while his co-workers and classmates were doing interesting things, collecting OT and otherwise "CBPOing", he was stuck in limbo for much of his first year.

Comment

• Originally posted by casadenewman View Post
              Well PFT1 scheduled for this month.
              Moving fast now. CASS just updated to let me know my BI is in the office.
              same here
              CBPO
              App - 3/12, GEO: SWB
              Test & NORs - 4/12, TSL1/2 - 5/12, E-Qip: 6/12, Quals - GS-7, PFT1 - 6/12, Med - 7/12, VBT/SI - 7/12, BI - 12/27, DT - 12/21, TSU - 12/27/12
              ** THE CALL 1/31/13, NOGALES, AZ | PRESIDIO,TX | LARADO, TX | COLUMBUS, NM - EOD - 3/18, Academy 4/22-8/22 **

I had to decline, if you need help msg.

NJSP
              APP - 5/12, PEPP - 7/12, PQT - 8/12, WRITTEN - 10/12, BI - 12/12
              PEPP II - 2/25/13 - 4/3/13
              Medical/Pysch - 3/2, 3/3
              Class 152 - Apr-Oct '13 (hoping)

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                A tale about provisional clearances you might be interested in hearing...

An acquaintance of mine came on-board with a provisional clearance. Like most people, he figured his BI would clear with little problem and off he went happily to FLETC.

Several months later he graduates...still with the provisional clearance. He get his badge and creds on graduation day for the ceremony and pictures and as soon as the the photos are finished...the badge and creds are snatched back to await full clearance.

Off he goes back to his port...sans badge, creds and gun. No badge, no creds and no gun means limited/light duty. Now, light duty for a full CBPO means limited options. Light duty for a provisional CBPO without anything including full computer access means almost no options.

So, this guy hits his PoE basically without an defined role. He essentially becomes a go-for for his port and gets stuck with all the menial work. He does the mail run, washes the G-rides, sorts paperwork...that kind of stuff. Of course, there's no OT, no differential shifts that go along with this sort of 'work', it's basically a 0800-1600, Mon-Fri job at this point. Basically straight GS-05 base pay.

This guy plods along for nearly a year before his BI finally clears fully, he gets all his gear and is allowed to proceed with post-academy training.

The good...he worked off much of his probation under limited conditions, EOD'd sooner and started his leave and seniority that much quicker. The bad...while his co-workers and classmates were doing interesting things, collecting OT and otherwise "CBPOing", he was stuck in limbo for much of his first year.
                Very interesting. It sounds unfortunate. But I'd still prefer that then what I'm going doing right now. He did get paid the regular CBPO salary right?

Comment

• I got a question which I'm assuming has an impact on how long it takes for my BI to clear. I put a few contacts (My four grandparents) which live in Brazil and speak only Portuguese. Will they have to find a BI or a translator that speaks Portuguese to communicate with them? Will this prolong my process??

Comment

Very interesting. It sounds unfortunate. But I'd still prefer that then what I'm going doing right now. He did get paid the regular CBPO salary right?
                    Yeah. More or less standard base pay. Little if any extra, though.

If it works for you...great. As with most things, it's likely to be situational dependent. Having good awareness and reasonable expectations is a panacea to a great many issues.

Comment

• My question is why are they advertising the job at regular gs scale and not the LEO scale?

GS-5 $31315 LEO GS-5 $38619

Comment

• Originally posted by DevilDog22 View Post
                        My question is why are they advertising the job at regular gs scale and not the LEO scale?

That is GS-5 with rest of US adjustment...
                        There is NO LEO GS... it would be GL and then they end up moving to GS to go past 9.
                        CBPO
                        Written: 08/29/2007
                        EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by DevilDog22 View Post
                          My question is why are they advertising the job at regular gs scale and not the LEO scale?

Short answer...CBPOs are not defined as "LEOs" under that pay scale.

Comment

• Oi IamWolf. I sent you a private message. Maybe it can shed some light these questions.

Comment

I got a question which I'm assuming has an impact on how long it takes for my BI to clear. I put a few contacts (My four grandparents) which live in Brazil and speak only Portuguese. Will they have to find a BI or a translator that speaks Portuguese to communicate with them? Will this prolong my process??
                              Oi IamWolf. I sent you a private message. Maybe it can shed some light these questions.

Comment

• Originally posted by CTM045 View Post
                                Definitely, it makes sense to change my geo location. I've been thinking about it. Thanks for your input. So Do I just wait for them to send me an email regarding the geo location change? or Do I have to request the change myself?
                                Last edited by EASF; 06-17-2012, 12:28 PM.
                                Protecting America with Vigilance, Integrity, & Service

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 17658 users online. 512 members and 17146 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X