300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by will0861 View Post
    Did they say if that changes week to week, or is it possible Long Beach won't be hiring for a while? I was hoping for Long Beach, but I'd take LAX if it was the only choice.
    Hey Will,

She said that I can call her twice a week until I EOD and if they have Long Beach open she can transfer me. She said the day I EOD I won't be able to change locations for at least 2 years.....I have my fingers crossed for Long Beach, but I will put in my time at LAX if necessary.

Comment

• Found this article online. I don't know about you but who's excited about finding giant rodent meat? #$$%*& What the hell?

http://www.knbc.com/travelgetaways/16261596/detail.html

Comment

• Does anyone know if the CBP has their own version of a ‘ride along’ whereas you can go and shadow a working CBPO for a few shifts? If so, how do you go about arranging one? I’ve looked through some of the past posts and seen nothing. Thanks!
        Three's the charm, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by DD214 View Post
          Does anyone know if the CBP has their own version of a ‘ride along’ whereas you can go and shadow a working CBPO for a few shifts? If so, how do you go about arranging one? I’ve looked through some of the past posts and seen nothing. Thanks!
          well thats what pre-academy is all about, unfortunately ive never heard of them doing that for non-employees.

Comment

• Originally posted by deyosurf19 View Post
            Hey Will,

She said that I can call her twice a week until I EOD and if they have Long Beach open she can transfer me. She said the day I EOD I won't be able to change locations for at least 2 years.....I have my fingers crossed for Long Beach, but I will put in my time at LAX if necessary.

I tried that down here in Miami for the seaport as opposed to taking the airport (glad I didnt take the seaport after taking a short tour), but chances are those spots are filled. So the only way that there is an opening is if someone who accepted the position calls and says they decided to get a job elsewhere. But it is possible, so i suggest call just in case.

Question about FLETC... since they decided to dual occupy some of the rooms at the Taj, are both occupants going to be in the same class or does one start before the other? Therefore, having one person have two seperate roomates during their training.
            Day one at CBP: Aug 4th, 2008
            Day one at FLETC: Sept 3, 2008 Class 863
            Graduated Dec 18, 2008

Its game on from here....

Comment

• Originally posted by Dfly123 View Post
              Question about FLETC... since they decided to dual occupy some of the rooms at the Taj, are both occupants going to be in the same class or does one start before the other? Therefore, having one person have two seperate roomates during their training.
              That is a good question. I am hoping and wishing I don't have to share a room. I don't want to deal with some other dudes taco bell farts and other bodily issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by DaBonk112 View Post
                I received a 94 on my test but the waiting game, as most of you all mentioned, is killer. It looks like there is at least a 2-3 month waiting period on average from the time you take the test and receive a TO. Being that I would like to work in Hawaii, I may have to wait a lot longer. But all in all, I don't mind my current job too much, just looking for something a little more exciting. I wish you all the best of luck!
                In 'the old days'(4-5 years ago), people were waiting 20...30...40 months or more between testing and hire. I waited 22 months.

Today's hiring processes fly in comparison to past ones.

Comment

• Originally posted by barnaj View Post
                  well thats what pre-academy is all about, unfortunately ive never heard of them doing that for non-employees.
                  It would be nice to take a tour before you accept a job at a specific port since you'll most likely be there for a long time.
                  ICE IEA

May 08 Written Test
                  Feb 09 TO-Los Angeles
                  March 09 Medical/PT/Drug Test
                  July 09 Oral Board
                  Background Started 11/16/09

EOD 11/23/09 San Bernardino
                  Academy class 006 12/03/09-04/13/10

Comment

• Originally posted by deyosurf19 View Post
                    OK,

I got the call again today. I had to defer my offer due to a trip I had planned. They did not have the Port of Long Beach available this week so I had to accept LAX. EOD September 22, FLETC October 23-Feb ??? (I forgot what she said) Looks like I am gong to have a lonely Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years...

Timeline:
                    Written Test 8/29/2007
                    TO 8/29/2007
                    Physical/Fitness 9/30/2007
                    Met with BI 10/?/2007
                    VBT 10/?/2008
                    BI Clearance 7/30/2008
                    Call on 8/5/2008, second Call on 8/28/2008

Man that's great, congratulations! at this point of the ballgame I wouldn't mind spending some lonely cold holidays, I'm right behind you, been in the process for 10 months .

Comment

• Congrad, what take them so long to call you?

I got the call again today. I had to defer my offer due to a trip I had planned. They did not have the Port of Long Beach available this week so I had to accept LAX. EOD September 22, FLETC October 23-Feb ??? (I forgot what she said) Looks like I am gong to have a lonely Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years...

Timeline:
                      Written Test 8/29/2007
                      TO 8/29/2007
                      Physical/Fitness 9/30/2007
                      Met with BI 10/?/2007
                      VBT 10/?/2008
                      BI Clearance 7/30/2008
                      Call on 8/5/2008, second Call on 8/28/2008[/QUOTE]

Comment

• Originally posted by kiddie789
                        How easy is it to transfer after you have put your two years in? Whats the process like
                        Kiddie, my advice to you, and it has been echoed before, don't take a port that you don't want to be at for a long time. Transfers are few and far between. They are completely at the discretion of the port and CMC. The agency seems to be getting better about it but management is more concerned with staffing levels then how much of a hardship you have. Swaps are a bit easier to stomach in managements opinion, but are harder to put together on your end. Either way, you'll be putting in a lot more then a couple of years before a transfer could come to fruition.
                        Last edited by verbalkint4; 08-29-2008, 07:08 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by will0861 View Post
                          It would be nice to take a tour before you accept a job at a specific port since you'll most likely be there for a long time.
                          Would be nice, but no such ride-a-long program exists. Your best bet is to try and track down a recruiter at the port you would like to work at and ask as many questions as you can.

Comment

• Hey Dfly123,

For MIA, how did you choose between the sea and airport. Do they give you info on both or some sort of tour? Or is it just a blind pick, provided you are even offered a choice between the two?

Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by grullj View Post
                              Hey Dfly123,

For MIA, how did you choose between the sea and airport. Do they give you info on both or some sort of tour? Or is it just a blind pick, provided you are even offered a choice between the two?

Thanks
                              basically looking at a blind decision, I got a tour of the seaport after about two weeks of working here at the airport. (glad I chose airport). I did get a choice but the class after mine did not since seaport was unavailable. Basically I would suggest trying to find someone who works at both locations, to give out advice... I would assume most large airports are similar to others, same goes for seaports.
                              Day one at CBP: Aug 4th, 2008
                              Day one at FLETC: Sept 3, 2008 Class 863
                              Graduated Dec 18, 2008

Its game on from here....

Comment

• Great! Thanks for the advice.

In that case, can those of you who work for the seaports tell us a little bit about your ports. And can those of you who work for the airports tell us about your ports? Thanks in advance.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6401 users online. 414 members and 5987 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X