Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBP officer

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by allandchen View Post
    Sick of being a Army Grunt,

    Looks like my timeline is only a week after you. I can see that your Medical is not on the same day as your PFT1. It happens to me too, and I called them couple times and it seems like they want to make sure candidates pass the PFT1 first before doing the Medical. I am also assuming you select SWB too, correct?


    Yes that would make sense, but yes I chose SWB as well . I m just lucky that since I live within 20 mins of two land borders its easy to get all my appointments and I don't have to drive for hours like some people.If all goes well it seems like their will be a few of us in the academy together..

    Written Test 1/4/2011
    NOR 5/9/2012
    TSL 5/10/2012
    TSL2 5/11/2012
    e-QIP Submitted 5/15/2012
    Fingerprint Sent 5/17/2012
    Pre-Employment Forms 5/24/2012
    Med / PFT1 6/5/2012
    VBT / SI 6/27/2012
    Test -02 April 2012
    NOR-20 April 2012(101) w/ 10 vet pref
    TSL 1 & 2- 02 May 2012
    Qualifications - (Pending)
    PFT1 - 30 May 12 (passed)
    VBT & S.I. - 16 July 12 (passed)
    Drug Test - (pending)
    Medical- 08 June 12 (passed)
    B.I. - In security office
    Poly - 18 June 12 (passed)
    PFT2 -
    EOD -


    Life asked Death, " Why do people Love me but hate you?" Death responded " Because you are a beautiful lie and I am the painful truth!"

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Firebug View Post
      So those working in Michigan or Ohio should never be afforded the opportunity to transfer to the SWB if they chose? Or do we have to test them again if they wish to transfer? How do you reconcile things such as pay if you have different standards for different geographic areas? How about the many TDY opportunities to the southwest border? How about the obvious that bad things can happen in Michigan or Ohio. My one and only time lost injury early in my career was a broken arm that occurred working in a medium sized airport while being assaulted by an alien that was in custody. If you think bad things can't happen because you are not on the southern land border you are mistaken. I can tell you for a fact that when things do go south in an airport or even the northern land border it is generally much worst because the officers are generally not prepared for it because their mindset is exactly the same as yours in your post.

      The purpose of the 1.5 mile run is to test endurance not the ability to chase someone down. It is to test the subject's endurance during a physical confrontation (fight). FAMs were not really trained to resolve encounters on aircraft with a physical confrontation they were trained to end the encounter with deadly force. FAM's were authorized to use deadly force in many situations that you as a CBP officer would never be authorized.

      FB
      First off let me start off by saying that FAMs definitey does learn defensive techniques. from beginning to end, everything is taught for what needs to be done before deadly force is used down to a freaking T!!! it is drilled to you every day of training. so that is not true. the training for FAMs is very tough, from defensive tactics, terrorism, and right down to the daily workouts in training.

      you missed the point I was trying to make, I just don't feel it is necessary for the training to be so strenuous when there isn't an annual physical to keep you in top shape. My ex and my uncle are both cbps in MI, three of my best friends work in swb (former FAMs) two cbps, one border patrol. two totally different worlds, and point of views on cbp as a whole from different sides of the u.s.. while it may be physically demanding in swb on a daily basis, that isn't the case for other areas...though, do they have their tough days?? of course! you can still be in OK shape and get the job done well. it doesn't take someone being able to run a 13 min mile to do it.(obviously, look at the current cbps, they didnt have to do it).. Same way I feel with FAMs, some of the physical testing/requirements were not needed to do the job. but the requirements are set, and there is nothing you can do about it. I am just merely giving an opinion, on one end from where I work, and the other from what I see others do. My ex is lucky if he even gets the chance to step out his booth on a night shift at the ambassador bridge. it's just two totally different atmospheres, and i know what you mean about having these regulations of requirements for endurance...I AGREE, i clearly stated before I am not against this,I am for it, but I am for it being done for EVERYONE and I am for it being done for people who have not yet applied to give them a heads up!! and i feel that if cbp would want/need these officers to be ready for anything (such as someone from the midwest transferring to the swb) then annual pfts need to take place.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by IamWolf View Post
        If this does happen what do you think would be the new role of CBP officers?
        I really don't know, I never thought too much about it. Just a lot of gossip I heargoing around dhs right now. On one hand, they really want to keep tsa and be able to utilize it more towards those tasks...and on the other hand the $$$$ issue comes into play for the past and future investments and the current investments (the employees). While I am pro tsa, (coughfamscough) i feel like they dug themselves to deep with the tso's positions for no way out without spending millions. All i know is something will more than likely happen with tsa making a transition, rather it's getting rid of them over the next 5 to 10 years, or completely changing (or merging) their duties to more..or less. like i said, I dont know specifics, only things of what I hear from within dhs, and of course I can't say too much on top of all that neither.

        I guess we will all just have to wait and see what happens.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by mnewsom21 View Post
          don't worry shark, that is easy to achieve if you are already running in the 13s. Just keep running and may have to lay off alcohol and sodas (if you haven't already) and eat healthy to give yourself every advantage.
          Thank you mnewsom21, I think that I am feeling this 1.5 miles hard because I am living in Pittsburgh, the cold weather and the altitude is a factor. I used to live in Miami and I just move to Pittsburgh 5 months ago. I went to Miami last week and I felt myself with more energy. I don't know if it was because the altitude or because I was in home.
          Geo:SWB
          CBPO Exam:12/10
          TSl: 5/11
          Medical & Pft1:9/11 Passed
          Met BI:1/12
          VBT/SI:10/11 Passed
          Drug Test:04/12 Passed
          Qual:cleared 3/12
          Polygraph: Scheduled 11/23/12
          PFT2:
          EOD:

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Moeie586 View Post
            i totally agree. my whole annoyance too is that they should just have the requirements for the pft2 as the overall fitness test and it should be the only one. i honestly don't see the point in having 2, if by the time you take the first pft you are not in good enough shape to the pass 2nd, it is a gambling chance you will be able to pass the pft2, especially with the process moving so fast for some areas.
            Moeie586, you should meant moving fast for some people.... with this slow process, I see how we are training, stop training, fill papers, re-fill papers... etc. I think that it's something wrong in the process. I can understand that some BI take longer than other, but basic steps should be within the same time for applicants who takes the test in the same date.

            For the rest about the 1.5 miles. Think this way. In the academy we are going to have time to train and improve the time, push up, situps, etc. FLECT will prepare us for the test and some will be surprised what we can do...
            Geo:SWB
            CBPO Exam:12/10
            TSl: 5/11
            Medical & Pft1:9/11 Passed
            Met BI:1/12
            VBT/SI:10/11 Passed
            Drug Test:04/12 Passed
            Qual:cleared 3/12
            Polygraph: Scheduled 11/23/12
            PFT2:
            EOD:

            Comment


            • Well, Second green check have PFT1 clear and pre-employment forms clear. BI in the security office, Medical schedule for Monday, and CASS saying my SI has been schedule but i haven't recieved the letter yet, hopefully it comes in today. Only missing Poly and drug test. A couple of investigator have called my work to talk to me and my supervisors, so it under way. I work for the Army (National Guard on Active Duty) and as a Civilian i work for DoD and OPM called that DHS is inquiring about my personell file.
              CBPO:
              GEO Pref: SWB
              App Date: 19 MAR 2012
              Written Exam: 30 MAR 2012
              NOR: 5 APR 2012 Rating 90 w/VP
              TSL submitted: 27 APR 2012
              E-Qip submitted: 1 May 2012
              PFT1: 30 May 2012 Pass
              Med:11 June 2012
              BI: In Security Office
              VBT/SI: Pending
              Drug Test: Pending
              Referred to Schedule EOD: Pending
              Call Rec: Pending
              PFT2: Pending
              EOD: Pending
              FLETC: Pending

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Shark View Post
                Moeie586, you should meant moving fast for some people.... with this slow process, I see how we are training, stop training, fill papers, re-fill papers... etc. I think that it's something wrong in the process. I can understand that some BI take longer than other, but basic steps should be within the same time for applicants who takes the test in the same date.

                For the rest about the 1.5 miles. Think this way. In the academy we are going to have time to train and improve the time, push up, situps, etc. FLECT will prepare us for the test and some will be surprised what we can do...
                You are right about the academy, but most of the time is an individual effort. you can have the time to train but if you dont put the effort to it, you will not improve. So a person can't wait to get to FLETC to get better they have to get there in good shape and maintain.
                CBPO:
                GEO Pref: SWB
                App Date: 19 MAR 2012
                Written Exam: 30 MAR 2012
                NOR: 5 APR 2012 Rating 90 w/VP
                TSL submitted: 27 APR 2012
                E-Qip submitted: 1 May 2012
                PFT1: 30 May 2012 Pass
                Med:11 June 2012
                BI: In Security Office
                VBT/SI: Pending
                Drug Test: Pending
                Referred to Schedule EOD: Pending
                Call Rec: Pending
                PFT2: Pending
                EOD: Pending
                FLETC: Pending

                Comment


                • Ok, I got my G.I. Bill paperwork filled out, now do I send it in now, or after my EOD?
                  Geo:Texas CBPO Exam:10/11
                  Medical & Pft1:12/22/11 Passed
                  Met BI:4/12
                  VBT/SI:01/26/12 Passed
                  Drug Test:04/26/12 Passed
                  Qual:cleared 04/12
                  PFT2:05/23/12 Passed
                  EOD:06/18/12
                  FLETC:7/16/12

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Firebug View Post
                    In this regard, where do you draw the line. You have academy classes starting basically every week. The folks getting placed into those classes from their respective announcements have been waiting a long time in some cases several years. So when do you make the change? After all the applicants have been exhausted? That would be years that is not going to happen. Do you have people in the same class being held to different standards because they applied to different announcements? Again, not going to happen.
                    FB
                    Now that does make sense. Didn't think of it like that. Either way if someone wants they will adapt and overcome and do what is necessary to achieve it.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Shark View Post
                      Moeie586, you should meant moving fast for some people.... with this slow process, I see how we are training, stop training, fill papers, re-fill papers... etc. I think that it's something wrong in the process. I can understand that some BI take longer than other, but basic steps should be within the same time for applicants who takes the test in the same date.

                      For the rest about the 1.5 miles. Think this way. In the academy we are going to have time to train and improve the time, push up, situps, etc. FLECT will prepare us for the test and some will be surprised what we can do...
                      Shark...
                      CBPOBT, unlike BCT (Boot Camp), is not designed to get trainees into "shape"... There's no set running program to bring times down. You will have your PT classes 2-3 times per week, 2 hr sessions where they have to cover AT, DT, and either muscle endurance or cardio. Then they have to release you with enough time to shower and change for your next class. What this translate to is too much to cover in too little time, with some instructors choosing one aspect over another... depending on their preference in training. This means that one instructor will be almost all about AT/DT and little actual running... and others will cover little AT/DT (just enough for you to know the basics) and then tell you to hit the track!

                      The only way they can fix this problem would be to actually have separate PT sessions to cover both aspects instead of the way it's set. This would mean adding more time into a lengthy academy, and trust me 19 weeks is quite long.
                      Bottom line is you must get to FLETC in decent shape to be able to pass... don't expect to get there and be PT'd into shape like the ARMY or Marines.
                      CBPO
                      Written: 08/29/2007
                      EOD: July 11, 2011

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by yoda View Post
                        Shark...
                        CBPOBT, unlike BCT (Boot Camp), is not designed to get trainees into "shape"... There's no set running program to bring times down. You will have your PT classes 2-3 times per week, 2 hr sessions where they have to cover AT, DT, and either muscle endurance or cardio. Then they have to release you with enough time to shower and change for your next class. What this translate to is too much to cover in too little time, with some instructors choosing one aspect over another... depending on their preference in training. This means that one instructor will be almost all about AT/DT and little actual running... and others will cover little AT/DT (just enough for you to know the basics) and then tell you to hit the track!

                        The only way they can fix this problem would be to actually have separate PT sessions to cover both aspects instead of the way it's set. This would mean adding more time into a lengthy academy, and trust me 19 weeks is quite long.
                        Bottom line is you must get to FLETC in decent shape to be able to pass... don't expect to get there and be PT'd into shape like the ARMY or Marines.
                        Yes Sir, they need to understand that this is a Civilian LEO, so is YOUR resposibility to be in shape, in the Military they do most of the thinking for you, you get your orders and you execute them. Civilian LEO you get some guidelines (Not orders) and you go back to your training and OJT (on the job training) to follow those guidelines. So for us in the Military you will get prepare for a conflict to deal with Armed enemies. CBPO and BPA, you get train to deal with civilians that sometimes will put your life at risk, but the keyword is CIVILIANS, therefore the academy will be more in the teaching aspect of Immigration Law, nationality Law, Use of Force, ect.. with little time spent of physical conditioning, you will learn defensive movement, some hand to hand probably, close quaters techniques, but they will not smoke you to the point you will get out of there in better shape unless you put time and effort (personal time) to do it. So that been said.... START RUNNING!!!!
                        CBPO:
                        GEO Pref: SWB
                        App Date: 19 MAR 2012
                        Written Exam: 30 MAR 2012
                        NOR: 5 APR 2012 Rating 90 w/VP
                        TSL submitted: 27 APR 2012
                        E-Qip submitted: 1 May 2012
                        PFT1: 30 May 2012 Pass
                        Med:11 June 2012
                        BI: In Security Office
                        VBT/SI: Pending
                        Drug Test: Pending
                        Referred to Schedule EOD: Pending
                        Call Rec: Pending
                        PFT2: Pending
                        EOD: Pending
                        FLETC: Pending

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by javy03 View Post
                          Well, Second green check have PFT1 clear and pre-employment forms clear. BI in the security office, Medical schedule for Monday, and CASS saying my SI has been schedule but i haven't recieved the letter yet, hopefully it comes in today. Only missing Poly and drug test. A couple of investigator have called my work to talk to me and my supervisors, so it under way. I work for the Army (National Guard on Active Duty) and as a Civilian i work for DoD and OPM called that DHS is inquiring about my personell file.
                          Man, don't get tired, you are going so fast.... Good for you!
                          Geo:SWB
                          CBPO Exam:12/10
                          TSl: 5/11
                          Medical & Pft1:9/11 Passed
                          Met BI:1/12
                          VBT/SI:10/11 Passed
                          Drug Test:04/12 Passed
                          Qual:cleared 3/12
                          Polygraph: Scheduled 11/23/12
                          PFT2:
                          EOD:

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by yoda View Post
                            Shark...
                            CBPOBT, unlike BCT (Boot Camp), is not designed to get trainees into "shape"... There's no set running program to bring times down. You will have your PT classes 2-3 times per week, 2 hr sessions where they have to cover AT, DT, and either muscle endurance or cardio. Then they have to release you with enough time to shower and change for your next class. What this translate to is too much to cover in too little time, with some instructors choosing one aspect over another... depending on their preference in training. This means that one instructor will be almost all about AT/DT and little actual running... and others will cover little AT/DT (just enough for you to know the basics) and then tell you to hit the track!

                            The only way they can fix this problem would be to actually have separate PT sessions to cover both aspects instead of the way it's set. This would mean adding more time into a lengthy academy, and trust me 19 weeks is quite long.
                            Bottom line is you must get to FLETC in decent shape to be able to pass... don't expect to get there and be PT'd into shape like the ARMY or Marines.
                            I know, I agree with that. Of course, we cannot wait until get into the FLECT. What I am trying to say is that the academy will prepare us to pass the course. While in the academy, we will have the opportunity to be in the same shape as the rest of our class mates. We are going to be in the same boat, so its help.
                            Last edited by Shark; 06-05-2012, 09:31 AM.
                            Geo:SWB
                            CBPO Exam:12/10
                            TSl: 5/11
                            Medical & Pft1:9/11 Passed
                            Met BI:1/12
                            VBT/SI:10/11 Passed
                            Drug Test:04/12 Passed
                            Qual:cleared 3/12
                            Polygraph: Scheduled 11/23/12
                            PFT2:
                            EOD:

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Moeie586 View Post
                              First off let me start off by saying that FAMs definitey does learn defensive techniques. from beginning to end, everything is taught for what needs to be done before deadly force is used down to a freaking T!!! it is drilled to you every day of training. so that is not true. the training for FAMs is very tough, from defensive tactics, terrorism, and right down to the daily workouts in training.

                              you missed the point I was trying to make, I just don't feel it is necessary for the training to be so strenuous when there isn't an annual physical to keep you in top shape. My ex and my uncle are both cbps in MI, three of my best friends work in swb (former FAMs) two cbps, one border patrol. two totally different worlds, and point of views on cbp as a whole from different sides of the u.s.. while it may be physically demanding in swb on a daily basis, that isn't the case for other areas...though, do they have their tough days?? of course! you can still be in OK shape and get the job done well. it doesn't take someone being able to run a 13 min mile to do it.(obviously, look at the current cbps, they didnt have to do it).. Same way I feel with FAMs, some of the physical testing/requirements were not needed to do the job. but the requirements are set, and there is nothing you can do about it. I am just merely giving an opinion, on one end from where I work, and the other from what I see others do. My ex is lucky if he even gets the chance to step out his booth on a night shift at the ambassador bridge. it's just two totally different atmospheres, and i know what you mean about having these regulations of requirements for endurance...I AGREE, i clearly stated before I am not against this,I am for it, but I am for it being done for EVERYONE and I am for it being done for people who have not yet applied to give them a heads up!! and i feel that if cbp would want/need these officers to be ready for anything (such as someone from the midwest transferring to the swb) then annual pfts need to take place.
                              I never said FAMS don't train defensive tactics. What I said was that their focus was on ending the encounter post haste. That training was usually focused on the use of deadly force. They were and are authorized to use deadly force in situations that for most other law enforcement officers, CBPO's included, deadly force would not even be an option. This is coming from the FAM who is standing over my shoulder as I type this.

                              I don't have to take it from my uncle or an ex that are CBPO's. I can draw from my personal experience as a CBPO coming up on fifteen years now. I was that officer in a booth on the northern land border. I have also worked two different sized airports and a seaport. I currently am in the southwest. The work environment for CBPO's is changing. You would not recognize the work I am currently doing as CBPO as things a CBPO would be doing. Yet I am serving search warrants, arrest warrants, building entries etc. A large part of the work force complained for years that they were not recognized as law enforcement officers in a ton of different ways. The most glaring being the pension situation. Well, now the position is starting to be recognized as a law enforcement position. You have the same retirement and age requirements that other FLEO positions have. You are also going to get some of the other requirements that any other LEO position is going to have and that includes physical requirements.

                              You should not approach this job as it is always routine. You should not think that you are just standing in a booth welcoming people to the United States. You should not think that you don't need to be physically ready to fight regardless of where you are working be it in an airport, seaport, northern or southern land border. You should train for the worst case and be happy if it is never needed because things do happen at places other than the southwest. If you approach the job that casually than you will be exactly what we have been incorrectly seen as for years a clerk with a gun.

                              FB

                              Comment


                              • Shark,

                                When they called your work, did they only call your current job? Or did they call every place that you've worked for? I know you are in the Arm, so probably not too much changing jobs, but just curious about it..
                                Test -1/4/11
                                NOR - 5/9/12
                                TSL 1 - 5/10/12
                                TSL 2- 5/11/12
                                Qualifications - GS7 (7/11/12)
                                PFT1 - 6/5/12 (passed on 6/12/12)
                                VBT & S.I. - 6/27/12
                                Drug Test - ?
                                Medical- 6/15/12 (passed on 6/26/12)
                                B.I. - ?
                                Poly- ?
                                PFT2 - ?
                                EOD - ?

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 3947 users online. 259 members and 3688 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X