300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lang2 View Post
    I hope this isn't a reality. I'm a small female, about 5'1"...I can usually out- push up and can always out- sit up most of my guy friends...but, I cannot run. I have been working on it for years, signing up for 5Ks and 10Ks throughout the year. I'm not fast. I'm steady, but I'm not fast. There is no way in the world I could ever run the 1.5 in under 13 minutes. I hope it's not time to hang up my hat over something so petty. There are much more important qualities that this job demands than running, so I would hate for my dreams to be shattered because of it.
    chilllllll... you'll have enough stress once you get here lol. no need to add on.

Comment

• Originally posted by mnewsom21 View Post
      Trust me i know all about the government. Just retired from a 20 yr career in the Army. I just feel if they want to change the standard don't do it in the middle of someone's training. Do it for next announcement so people can gauge for themselves if they can do it or not. It would be a waste of money to have to kick someone out of FLETC because they ran 13:30 instead of 13 flat when expecting and training for 15 and below. The Army just tried to revamp its APFT when I retired and guess what, it didn't work out. They are still using the same one.

I know the Government doesn't care about wasting money except on television during press conferences. One thing that does not make sense to me though is why do they require sit-ups on the PFT2 but you do not do them to graduated FLETC. Do a sit and reach instead?

Not trying to argue here, just my two cents and I just like to get other peoples' thoughts and opinions.

FB
      If hired you will find out quickly that there is a world of difference in being an employee of a civilian government agency and the DOD. The best advice I can give you is don't expect anything to make sense to you. It doesn't have to make sense to me or you just the guy making the decision. In this regard, where do you draw the line. You have academy classes starting basically every week. The folks getting placed into those classes from their respective announcements have been waiting a long time in some cases several years. So when do you make the change? After all the applicants have been exhausted? That would be years that is not going to happen. Do you have people in the same class being held to different standards because they applied to different announcements? Again, not going to happen.

I will also point out that there is absolutely no mention of actual times in the verbage of the job announcement. That is all included after the fact and subject to change. That goes for all portions of the training not just the physical portion. For instance, the Government may decide to change the course of fire at their whim or change passing for academics during the academy from 70 to 80. Do you think the Government is not going to be allowed to make that change because that wasn't the case when someone applied? The only thing the government can be held to is what is mentioned in the job announcement regarding what is required to get the job such as the passing score of the written test, times for PFT1 and PFT2 for instance and even that is debatable since it was not that long ago that a PFT2 was not even required. For many folks getting EOD dates now the PFT2 was not part of the process yet they are being required to pass the PFT2. Requirements to get the job and requirements to pass training academy are two very different things.

FB

Comment

• Originally posted by aranajav View Post
        Thanks for the info Buis02 and congrats on the job. I will also be working at San Ysidro Port, my report date is July 9th. I was wondering since FLETC is not until 8/8 what do you recommend for housing during that time?
        No probs, glad to be of assistance. Have fun with the VLC's at SY. Also don't finish fast. FP&F is not fun. They work you hard on filing and stuff and its crazy in there. Housing is housing. The Taj is nice but you always have to hop on the bus to get to chow which isn't too bad but they got nice pools and everything. If you can get building 187 it's nice because you get flat panel like 22" tv's and a dvd player. In 185 we don't have that at all just VHS and a boob tube but you get cable tv.
        Originally posted by Shark View Post
        Buis02, I just checked your dates and I see that you are lucky. I took my exam 1 year before you and my rating exam was 96 with not vet. Good luck Sr.
        Yeah i timed everything perfectly including exitting my company and getting the annual bonus and everything. hopefully you'll get the call soon
        Originally posted by Locke03 View Post
        I have two friends in class 312 at the academy and I was told last night starting with class 314 the run time (1.5) will be dropped to 13 mins. If my pft2 is any indication I guess around 20-30 percent of people are going to fail this now.
        don't know if you heard but supposedly they lost 3 people already.
        Originally posted by DSgirlCA View Post
        Lang I'm in the same boat! I've improved so much on my sit ups and my pushups but my running time is just awful! I bought a treadmill, I run at the track, I take advice from people on how to improve my time and every time I time myself I barely make the 17 min mark. I just don't know what else I can do to improve it! It would be awful if I quit my job, make it to FLETC only to find out I can't pass the requirements.
        don't stress too much B... just get to the running. you should be fine. trust me i have a lot of people in my class rite now that are well over the 15 minute mark for the 1.5 mile run. People that are like low to high 16's....
        CBPO
        GEO Pref: SWB
        App Date: 8/2/11
        Written Exam: 9/1/11
        NOR (Rating: 85, no vet pref, GS-5/7): 9/29/11
        TSL submitted: 10/12/11 (faxed & mailed)
        E-Qip submitted: 10/14/11
        SF86 submitted: 10/25/11
        PFT1: 11/8/11 (cleared CASS 12/1/11)
        Med: 11/8/11 (cleared CASS 12/8/11)
        BI: 11/15/11 (cleared CASS 12/8/11)
        VBT/SI: 12/7/11 (cleared CASS 12/15/11)
        DT: 12/9/11 (cleared CASS 12/20/11)
        Referred to Schedule EOD 12/15/11
        Call Rec.: 3/2/12
        PFT2: 3/16/12
        EOD: 4/9/12
        FLETC: 5/11/12 - 9/17/12

Comment

• Does a CPB officer and Border Patrol Agent have the same qualifications/criteria for backgrounds?

Comment

• Originally posted by Moeie586 View Post
            I consider myself in pretty decent shape and think a 13 minute 1.5mile run time is a little obnoxious. For Border Patrol, maybe I can understand why that would be a requirement. People coming from the military or have spent MONTHS training for that time would not have an issue, but for those already in the application process and those already in academy who are being blindsided with this, I feel very bad for. While it's not that hard to train for, when you train your body to your own max out level pushing it past that takes a lot of time...so I don't take the decision lightly just out of respect for other people...

FAMs didn't even have run time that low. so it is just shocking....for the SWB having a high fitness requirement isn't too far fetched, but if you are working somewhere like michigan or ohio, you may not find it worth it to physically exhaust yoursef lol
            So those working in Michigan or Ohio should never be afforded the opportunity to transfer to the SWB if they chose? Or do we have to test them again if they wish to transfer? How do you reconcile things such as pay if you have different standards for different geographic areas? How about the many TDY opportunities to the southwest border? How about the obvious that bad things can happen in Michigan or Ohio. My one and only time lost injury early in my career was a broken arm that occurred working in a medium sized airport while being assaulted by an alien that was in custody. If you think bad things can't happen because you are not on the southern land border you are mistaken. I can tell you for a fact that when things do go south in an airport or even the northern land border it is generally much worst because the officers are generally not prepared for it because their mindset is exactly the same as yours in your post.

The purpose of the 1.5 mile run is to test endurance not the ability to chase someone down. It is to test the subject's endurance during a physical confrontation (fight). FAMs were not really trained to resolve encounters on aircraft with a physical confrontation they were trained to end the encounter with deadly force. FAM's were authorized to use deadly force in many situations that you as a CBP officer would never be authorized.

FB

Comment

• Originally posted by breachnclear View Post
              waiting for CASS to update to see how quick it will move me on since submitting the EQIP/fingerprints on saturday.

Cass huh? Well for me everything is still pending but I continue to get calls .it seems to be moving fast for us April testers
              Test -02 April 2012
              NOR-20 April 2012(101) w/ 10 vet pref
              TSL 1 & 2- 02 May 2012
              Qualifications - (Pending)
              PFT1 - 30 May 12 (passed)
              VBT & S.I. - 16 July 12 (passed)
              Drug Test - (pending)
              Medical- 08 June 12 (passed)
              B.I. - In security office
              Poly - 18 June 12 (passed)
              PFT2 -
              EOD -

Life asked Death, " Why do people Love me but hate you?" Death responded " Because you are a beautiful lie and I am the painful truth!"

Comment

• Originally posted by mnewsom21 View Post
                this would be interesting for a discussion...maybe all current CBPOs will be merging with BP and get pulled from Airports and the TSA will take over CBPO duties in airports and will start the fitness test and go to FLETC course that CBP has now...hhmmm??????

You MIGHT see a merger with BP.

As for the rest...why, why and why?
                It makes no sense...on just about every level.

Why would CBP pull itself from airports? They're not going to give up those assets and $$$$.

Why would TSA want the additional responsibilities of creating and training several tens of thousand new LEOs in the matter of customs, immigration and other laws and then taking on the additional responsibilities for thousands of international flights? Think of the nightmare TSA would having trying to bring 60+K TSOs up to the standards of current CBPOs. On top of that, they'd have to arm the lot of them.

Ain't gonna to happen...not in a billion years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moeie586 View Post
                  I agree lang, same here..running is the LAST thing you will do on this job. like i said that may be different for many occurences in the swb, but anywhere else you aren't even walking on a daily basis. i just find it odd they would do that..
                  Again, that is because in Law Enforcement testing the 1.5 mile run is not about running. It is about cardio endurance to be used during a physical confrontation. The fact that you believe that officers are not walking or doing physical activity on a daily basis actually tells me that you don't really understand what this job can entail. I am not even talking about possible physical confrontations. I am talking about day to day tasks. How do you think cargo on those airplanes get checked? Talk to some officers that have been to CET training or do cargo work on regular basis that are unloading pallets to run the commodities through an x-ray than having to re-stack it on pallets again for eight hours that it is not important to be in shape. Or the officer at a medium or small land port of entry that have to de-van their own loads because there are no warehouse contractors. or the officers that are checking baggage. I can go on there are many tasks in this job that it is in the officers and by extension the government as an employer that the officer be in good shape and they have nothing to do with the Law Enforcement aspect of the job.

FB

Comment

• Originally posted by Sick of being a Army Grunt View Post
                    Cass huh? Well for me everything is still pending but I continue to get calls .it seems to be moving fast for us April testers
                    I tested on 30 March, and already got my PFT1 Done, BI is in the Security Office, got a call today for the Medical portion on Monday, i hope they call me for the Poly and Interview during the week. I got several calls from investigators to my work checking up some information and one of them told me that the BI is underway.

Moving to fast is almost scary, will see what happends.
                    CBPO:
                    GEO Pref: SWB
                    App Date: 19 MAR 2012
                    Written Exam: 30 MAR 2012
                    NOR: 5 APR 2012 Rating 90 w/VP
                    TSL submitted: 27 APR 2012
                    E-Qip submitted: 1 May 2012
                    PFT1: 30 May 2012 Pass
                    Med:11 June 2012
                    BI: In Security Office
                    VBT/SI: Pending
                    Drug Test: Pending
                    Referred to Schedule EOD: Pending
                    Call Rec: Pending
                    PFT2: Pending
                    EOD: Pending
                    FLETC: Pending

Comment

• Quick question for people who has taken the Fitness 1 test. I am taking it tomorrow and I just wanted to confirm how the Side Step Test is calculated. Within the 10 seconds, are only the "outside lines" being counted? Or everytime when we cross the center line, center line is also being counted. Example is when we start from the center line, if we touch 1 end of the outside line, then goes to the other end of the outside line, then return to the center line, how many line touches are being counted? Is it 4 (2 center line count, and 1 outside line from right and another 1 outside line from the other side)? Or only 2 are being counted because we only touch 1 outside line from each end? Please help, thanks. See below for my timeline:

Written Test 1/4/2011
                      NOR 5/9/2012 (reapplied and changed to SWB on 4/27/12)
                      TSL 5/10/2012
                      TSL2 5/11/2012
                      e-QIP Submitted 5/15/2012
                      Fingerprint Sent 5/17/2012
                      Pre-Employment Forms 5/24/2012
                      Med / PFT1 6/5/2012
                      VBT / SI 6/27/2012
                      Test -1/4/11
                      NOR - 5/9/12
                      TSL 1 - 5/10/12
                      TSL 2- 5/11/12
                      Qualifications - GS7 (7/11/12)
                      PFT1 - 6/5/12 (passed on 6/12/12)
                      VBT & S.I. - 6/27/12
                      Drug Test - ?
                      Medical- 6/15/12 (passed on 6/26/12)
                      B.I. - ?
                      Poly- ?
                      PFT2 - ?
                      EOD - ?

Comment

• Originally posted by allandchen View Post
                        Quick question for people who has taken the Fitness 1 test. I am taking it tomorrow and I just wanted to confirm how the Side Step Test is calculated. Within the 10 seconds, are only the "outside lines" being counted? Or everytime when we cross the center line, center line is also being counted. Example is when we start from the center line, if we touch 1 end of the outside line, then goes to the other end of the outside line, then return to the center line, how many line touches are being counted? Is it 4 (2 center line count, and 1 outside line from right and another 1 outside line from the other side)? Or only 2 are being counted because we only touch 1 outside line from each end? Please help, thanks. See below for my timeline:

Written Test 1/4/2011
                        NOR 5/9/2012 (reapplied and changed to SWB on 4/27/12)
                        TSL 5/10/2012
                        TSL2 5/11/2012
                        Med / PFT1 6/5/2012
                        VBT / SI 6/27/2012
                        I'm pretty sure all lines are counted, expect for the middle like on which you stand on.
                        "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your path straight." - Proverbs 3:5,6

Comment

• If the middle one is being counted, except for the 1st time standing on the middle line, then it is pretty darn easy, but for some reason when they mention touches the outside lines, I just wanted to make sure they don't count the outside lines only. If so, it is too tough to touch for more than 11 times, I could barely touch 8 or 9 times if they don't count the middle line.
                          Test -1/4/11
                          NOR - 5/9/12
                          TSL 1 - 5/10/12
                          TSL 2- 5/11/12
                          VBT & S.I. - 6/27/12
                          Drug Test - ?
                          B.I. - ?
                          Poly- ?
                          PFT2 - ?
                          EOD - ?

Comment

• Medical next week then SI/VBT the following. After that it's a waiting game unless I get scheduled for the polygraph. Hoping my background clears fast, not really enjoying the job I started this week and would like to get out of there as soon as possible.
                            CBPO:
                            Test Date: 3/26/2012
                            NOR: 4/6/2012 (96 with vet points) West Coast
                            NOR 2: 4/10/2012 Changed to SWB
                            TSL: 4/27/2012
                            PFT 1: 5/24/2012 (Cleared)
                            Medical: 6/12/2012 (Cleared 8/14/12)
                            VBT/SI: 6/25/2012 (Cleared)
                            Quals: 8/16/2012 (GS-5)
                            Poly: 4/30/2013

Comment

• Originally posted by afftont View Post
                              Medical next week then SI/VBT the following. After that it's a waiting game unless I get scheduled for the polygraph. Hoping my background clears fast, not really enjoying the job I started this week and would like to get out of there as soon as possible.
                              I feel your pain on the job front, been at mine for almost three years and despise it. Wasn't always like this just in the past year got terrible. All I can do now though is keep hitting the gym and wait for my BI to clear.
                              NYPD Exam: 3310 9/12
                              Score:9X.XX%
                              List#2XX 5/2013

NCPD Exam: 2000 12/12

PAPD Exam: 6/13 Qualified

Comment

• Sick of being a Army Grunt,

Looks like my timeline is only a week after you. I can see that your Medical is not on the same day as your PFT1. It happens to me too, and I called them couple times and it seems like they want to make sure candidates pass the PFT1 first before doing the Medical. I am also assuming you select SWB too, correct?

Written Test 1/4/2011
                                NOR 5/9/2012
                                TSL 5/10/2012
                                TSL2 5/11/2012
                                Med / PFT1 6/5/2012
                                VBT / SI 6/27/2012
                                Test -1/4/11
                                NOR - 5/9/12
                                TSL 1 - 5/10/12
                                TSL 2- 5/11/12
                                VBT & S.I. - 6/27/12
                                Drug Test - ?
                                B.I. - ?
                                Poly- ?
                                PFT2 - ?
                                EOD - ?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8487 users online. 215 members and 8272 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X