300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by javy03 View Post
    I have to do 17:42 2 mile run for my age group in the Army.
    I’d also just like to add in that another reason the run times were set kind of high (15 min) was due to the standards having no age requirement, so now no matter your age, you must run a 1.5 in 13 min no ands ifs or buts. Due to your background in the military I’m guessing you won’t have any problem running it in the required 13 min but for most other people in your age group (I’m guessing you’re in your 40’s) it won’t be an easy day.

I think if their going to drop it to 13 min they should do what the military does and pro rate the time but that’s just my 2 cents.

Comment

• Originally posted by Locke03 View Post
      I’d also just like to add in that another reason the run times were set kind of high (15 min) was due to the standards having no age requirement, so now no matter your age, you must run a 1.5 in 13 min no ands ifs or buts. Due to your background in the military I’m guessing you won’t have any problem running it in the required 13 min but for most other people in your age group (I’m guessing you’re in your 40’s) it won’t be an easy day.

I think if their going to drop it to 13 min they should do what the military does and pro rate the time but that’s just my 2 cents.
      No i am 32, wow 40's lol... Age bracket is 32-37 or 32-38, but, yes not having age groups is kind of unfair, because male and females have different types of body structure, same with a 21 year old kid and a 37 year old man, but the range of people going to the Academy has to be around 27-35 age group.

But you have a point with the no age group or gender group. 13 will be pushing it.
      CBPO:
      GEO Pref: SWB
      App Date: 19 MAR 2012
      Written Exam: 30 MAR 2012
      NOR: 5 APR 2012 Rating 90 w/VP
      TSL submitted: 27 APR 2012
      E-Qip submitted: 1 May 2012
      PFT1: 30 May 2012 Pass
      Med:11 June 2012
      BI: In Security Office
      VBT/SI: Pending
      Drug Test: Pending
      Referred to Schedule EOD: Pending
      Call Rec: Pending
      PFT2: Pending
      EOD: Pending
      FLETC: Pending

Comment

No i am 32, wow 40's lol... Age bracket is 32-37 or 32-38, but, yes not having age groups is kind of unfair, because male and females have different types of body structure, same with a 21 year old kid and a 37 year old man, but the range of people going to the Academy has to be around 27-35 age group.

But you have a point with the no age group or gender group. 13 will be pushing it.
        Upps!!! so, I have to start running faster, I am doing 1.5 miles in 13:50
        Geo:SWB
        CBPO Exam:12/10
        TSl: 5/11
        Medical & Pft1:9/11 Passed
        Met BI:1/12
        VBT/SI:10/11 Passed
        Drug Test:04/12 Passed
        Qual:cleared 3/12
        Polygraph: Scheduled 11/23/12
        PFT2:
        EOD:

Comment

• I consider myself in pretty decent shape and think a 13 minute 1.5mile run time is a little obnoxious. For Border Patrol, maybe I can understand why that would be a requirement. People coming from the military or have spent MONTHS training for that time would not have an issue, but for those already in the application process and those already in academy who are being blindsided with this, I feel very bad for. While it's not that hard to train for, when you train your body to your own max out level pushing it past that takes a lot of time...so I don't take the decision lightly just out of respect for other people...

FAMs didn't even have run time that low. so it is just shocking....for the SWB having a high fitness requirement isn't too far fetched, but if you are working somewhere like michigan or ohio, you may not find it worth it to physically exhaust yoursef lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Shark View Post
            Upps!!! so, I have to start running faster, I am doing 1.5 miles in 13:50
            haha i usualy come under 13:00 or even low 12's, but i sprint from the start to about 1/2 mile sometimes i make a 1:30 1/4 mile with 3:00+ 1/2 mile and close to 5:00 3/14 that will give me almost 8 minutes to finish the last 3/4 and its not that bad.
            CBPO:

Comment

haha i usualy come under 13:00 or even low 12's, but i sprint from the start to about 1/2 mile sometimes i make a 1:30 1/4 mile with 3:00+ 1/2 mile and close to 5:00 3/14 that will give me almost 8 minutes to finish the last 3/4 and its not that bad.
              I tend to take the opposite approach. Nice pace till I have about .25(1 lap on a 400m track) and then it's time to go!! (12:30 to 13:30 where I usually fall;I'm also running at high altitude 5000ft)

Originally posted by Shark View Post
              ]Upps!!! so, I have to start running faster, I am doing 1.5 miles in 13:50.
              I wouldn't sweat it to much JAVY03 you still have plenty of time to drop a minute.
              Last edited by Locke03; 06-04-2012, 01:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Locke03 View Post
                I tend to take the opposite approach. Nice pace till I have about .25(1 lap on a 400m track) and then it's time to go!! (12:30 to 13:30 where I usually fall;I'm also running at high altitude 5000ft)

I wouldn't sweat it to much JAVY03 you still have plenty of time to drop a minute.
                that last comment you reply wasnt me, it was shark. You though i was in my 40's but im 32...
                CBPO:

Comment

• Sorry man.

Comment

You should start slow and slowly work to a faster mile and sprint the finish... That way you don't wind yourself and cramp up before the finish... I run a lot of races and I love passing all those early sprinters in pain after about a mile....
                    NOR: Northeast 8/29/11
                    NOR: Changed to SWB 11/16/11
                    TO: 12/30
                    Pre-Employment Forms: Completed
                    Qualifications: Completed, GS-7
                    Medical Exam: Completed
                    BI: Submitted 2/23/12 Cleared 05/15/2012
                    Structured Interview: Completed
                    Fitness: Passed 3/05/12
                    Poly: 03/24/12
                    Drug Screening: Completed
                    EOD: July 2

Comment

• I hope this isn't a reality. I'm a small female, about 5'1"...I can usually out- push up and can always out- sit up most of my guy friends...but, I cannot run. I have been working on it for years, signing up for 5Ks and 10Ks throughout the year. I'm not fast. I'm steady, but I'm not fast. There is no way in the world I could ever run the 1.5 in under 13 minutes. I hope it's not time to hang up my hat over something so petty. There are much more important qualities that this job demands than running, so I would hate for my dreams to be shattered because of it.
                      GEO: Midwest
                      Written Exam: 12/10/10
                      NOR: 1/25/11, score 93 no vet pref
                      TO/TSL: 1/9/12
                      VBT & SI: 2/8/12 (cleared CASS 3/27/12)
                      PFT1: 2/9/12 (cleared CASS 2/15/12)
                      Medical: 2/14/12, cleared CASS 3/6/12
                      BI: IN SECURITY OFFICE
                      Pre-employment forms: cleared CASS 4/9/12
                      Qualified GS-7 (received letter 4/9/12, cleared on CASS 4/12/12)
                      Polygraph: 5/11/12
                      Drug test: 5/24/12, cleared CASS 5/31/12
                      Met with BI: 7/27/12
                      Called: 8/24/12, Chicago
                      PFT2: 9/4/12
                      EOD: 9/24/12
                      FLETC: 10/31-3/15

Comment

• I agree lang, same here..running is the LAST thing you will do on this job. like i said that may be different for many occurences in the swb, but anywhere else you aren't even walking on a daily basis. i just find it odd they would do that..

Comment

• Originally posted by lang2 View Post
                          I hope this isn't a reality. I'm a small female, about 5'1"...I can usually out- push up and can always out- sit up most of my guy friends...but, I cannot run. I have been working on it for years, signing up for 5Ks and 10Ks throughout the year. I'm not fast. I'm steady, but I'm not fast. There is no way in the world I could ever run the 1.5 in under 13 minutes. I hope it's not time to hang up my hat over something so petty. There are much more important qualities that this job demands than running, so I would hate for my dreams to be shattered because of it.
                          Lang I'm in the same boat! I've improved so much on my sit ups and my pushups but my running time is just awful! I bought a treadmill, I run at the track, I take advice from people on how to improve my time and every time I time myself I barely make the 17 min mark. I just don't know what else I can do to improve it! It would be awful if I quit my job, make it to FLETC only to find out I can't pass the requirements.
                          Exam: 12/10 (for West Coast)
                          Reapplied: 7/11 (for SWB)
                          TSL: 10/28/11 (SWB)
                          PFT1: 12/2/11 (passed)
                          Medical: 12/2/11 (passed)
                          VBT & S.I.: 1/10/12 (passed)
                          B.I.: 3/19/12 met with BI (in security office)
                          Qualifications: 3/22/12 (cleared)
                          Drug Test: 5/17/2012 (cleared)
                          PFT2: ?

Comment

• Originally posted by mm3454 View Post
                            You should start slow and slowly work to a faster mile and sprint the finish... That way you don't wind yourself and cramp up before the finish... I run a lot of races and I love passing all those early sprinters in pain after about a mile....
                            I know, but i been running like that for the past 9 years in the service, and I can't start slow hahha... i feel like i would not make it if i dont keep a steady pace. But thanks
                            CBPO:

Comment

• Guys dont stress now about the run time, as of now is just a rumor, when you get official word of it then start worrying. Just prepare yourself to the best of your abilities. if you cant do 13 minutes then at least you tried. you can push yourself when face with getting out of a job. So just practice, run, and practice some more.
                              CBPO:

Comment

• Originally posted by Moeie586 View Post
                                FAMs didn't even have run time that low. so it is just shocking....for the SWB having a high fitness requirement isn't too far fetched, but if you are working somewhere like michigan or ohio, you may not find it worth it to physically exhaust yoursef lol

FAMS? FAMS sit in an aircraft. Where would they run? On the other hand, the buggers can shoot. Then again, they've got the resources and practice time for it.

I imagine that future plans for CBPOs would see more of us running in various situations. FWIW, I've ran a bit on the job. Outside the SWB too.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9883 users online. 351 members and 9532 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X