• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by barnaj View Post
    Welcome back!

Good luck at this go-around.

Mer.

Comment

• Originally posted by barnaj View Post
      Yeah i was confused by that too. Im not really sure how/why i got a TSL for the SWB after applying for the new announcement under Midwest. Unless they dropped Midwest apps and converted to SWB, that doesnt sound right either... Was hoping maybe someone could chime in.
      Welcome back to the chase!... I hope this time it goes by without a hitch.
      You should know that if they actually issue a new TO for the Midwest, everything completed will transfer over, the question is how much longer are you willing to wait... and are you willing to stay on skid-row for 3-5???... In any case WELCOME BACK!!!
      CBPO
      Written: 08/29/2007
      EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• Thanks Merlin and Yoda. yeah i'll just see what happens like everyone else!

Comment

• Originally posted by amillot View Post
          I could argue against the bench press. Simply because good defense tactics would eliminate the need to have to "push" someone off of you. The sad thing is with the turnover, more and more people are getting hired and making it through the academy and very few are getting weeded out, when they don't belong... Not to say they are bad people, but it's just not a job for everyone, especially the southwest border.
          Well unfortunately there's many who wont figure out this is not the job for them until they actually start working it on their own.

Im not advocating for a bench press, and yes good defensive tactics including using all of you available tools on the belt should stop someone from being on top of you. But it would be nice if they emphasized strength and muscle endurance instead of focusing almost solely on cardiovascular endurance as a requirement for this job and many other LE jobs.
          CBPO
          TO - 05/08 JFK
          EOD - 12/05/2011

Comment

• Originally posted by mnewsom21 View Post
            just as yoda stated, they will have to change the pft 1 to 15 minutes. The cbp website still has the old times though.
            You should start to prepare yourself for some facts of life if you get this job. The Government doesn't have to do anything even if a rook with less than a year out of the academy says so. Very few things happen quickly and very often don't make any sense. It is just the way it is.

FB

Comment

• Originally posted by aranajav View Post
              Any idea if CBP will be getting LE pay anytime soon?
              I actually hope never if it means losing COPRA and getting AUO or Leap.

FB

Comment

• Originally posted by Firebug View Post
                I actually hope never if it means losing COPRA and getting AUO or Leap.

FB
                Is there anything out there resembling a comprehensive look at the likely benefits of LEAP vs AUO vs COPRA? If there is, I'd love to see it.

As far as AUO or LEAP instead of COPRA goes, I don't see where the majority of people I know would lose much if at all if AUO or LEAP replaced COPRA, especially if the current shift, Sunday and holiday differentials remained unchanged.

Most would probably end up working a few more hours per week for what likely would be extra straight-time pay.

Now, that lucky minority who actually has the opportunity to cap out on OT...they get screwed. How many people in this agency can actually say that they've access to 35K in OT per year on a regular basis though? Not many, I'm guessing.

Comment

• Originally posted by buis02 View Post
                  FLETC is cool. Campus is big... it's starting to get hot. One things for sure, you get tired of the food at chow pretty fast. Always stay away from the grilled chicken because it's over cooked lol... I'm 3 weeks in. As for lectures it's seriously death by powerpoints haha.
                  Buis02, I just checked your dates and I see that you are lucky. I took my exam 1 year before you and my rating exam was 96 with not vet. Good luck Sr.
                  Geo:SWB
                  CBPO Exam:12/10
                  TSl: 5/11
                  Medical & Pft1:9/11 Passed
                  Met BI:1/12
                  VBT/SI:10/11 Passed
                  Drug Test:04/12 Passed
                  Qual:cleared 3/12
                  Polygraph: Scheduled 11/23/12
                  PFT2:
                  EOD:

Comment

You should start to prepare yourself for some facts of life if you get this job. The Government doesn't have to do anything even if a rook with less than a year out of the academy says so. Very few things happen quickly and very often don't make any sense. It is just the way it is.

Trust me i know all about the government. Just retired from a 20 yr career in the Army. I just feel if they want to change the standard don't do it in the middle of someone's training. Do it for next announcement so people can gauge for themselves if they can do it or not. It would be a waste of money to have to kick someone out of FLETC because they ran 13:30 instead of 13 flat when expecting and training for 15 and below. The Army just tried to revamp its APFT when I retired and guess what, it didn't work out. They are still using the same one.

I know the Government doesn't care about wasting money except on television during press conferences. One thing that does not make sense to me though is why do they require sit-ups on the PFT2 but you do not do them to graduated FLETC. Do a sit and reach instead?

Not trying to argue here, just my two cents and I just like to get other peoples' thoughts and opinions.

FB

Comment

FB
                      Trust me i know all about the government. Just retired from a 20 yr career in the Army. I just feel if they want to change the standard don't do it in the middle of someone's training. Do it for next announcement so people can gauge for themselves if they can do it or not. It would be a waste of money to have to kick someone out of FLETC because they ran 13:30 instead of 13 flat when expecting and training for 15 and below. The Army just tried to revamp its APFT when I retired and guess what, it didn't work out. They are still using the same one.

I know the Government doesn't care about wasting money except on television during press conferences. One thing that does not make sense to me though is why do they require sit-ups on the PFT2 but you do not do them to graduated FLETC. Do a sit and reach instead?

Not trying to argue here, just my two cents and I just like to get other peoples' thoughts and opinions.

FB

Comment

• emailed my request this morning to change to SWB..time to get the ball rollin

Comment

• Originally posted by aranajav View Post
                          Soon2beCBPO I start July 9th at San Ysidro message me if you would like to talk
                          I see you are in Michigan. Are you going to move your family and household stuff after FLETC or before?

Comment

• I have two friends in class 312 at the academy and I was told last night starting with class 314 the run time (1.5) will be dropped to 13 mins. If my pft2 is any indication I guess around 20-30 percent of people are going to fail this now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Locke03 View Post
                              I have two friends in class 312 at the academy and I was told last night starting with class 314 the run time (1.5) will be dropped to 13 mins. If my pft2 is any indication I guess around 20-30 percent of people are going to fail this now.
                              Even if they drop it to 13 minutes, that is a 6:30 3/4 that is not a bad pace if you are in good shape. I have to do 17:42 2 mile run for my age group in the Army, and that is 13:02 mile 1/2 at a 8:51 mile pace, is not hard again if you are in shape.

Having 17 minutes to do a 1.5 mile you can actually walk at a fast pace and make that. So moving to 13min is not a bad idea, because it will make you get in better shape.
                              CBPO:
                              GEO Pref: SWB
                              App Date: 19 MAR 2012
                              Written Exam: 30 MAR 2012
                              NOR: 5 APR 2012 Rating 90 w/VP
                              TSL submitted: 27 APR 2012
                              E-Qip submitted: 1 May 2012
                              PFT1: 30 May 2012 Pass
                              Med:11 June 2012
                              BI: In Security Office
                              VBT/SI: Pending
                              Drug Test: Pending
                              Referred to Schedule EOD: Pending
                              Call Rec: Pending
                              PFT2: Pending
                              EOD: Pending
                              FLETC: Pending

Comment

• Originally posted by javy03 View Post
                                Even if they drop it to 13 minutes, that is a 6:30 3/4 that is not a bad pace if you are in good shape. I have to do 17:42 2 mile run for my age group in the Army, and that is 13:02 mile 1/2 at a 8:51 mile pace, is not hard again if you are in shape.

Having 17 minutes to do a 1.5 mile you can actually walk at a fast pace and make that. So moving to 13min is not a bad idea, because it will make you get in better shape.
                                I'm former millitary and a gym rat to boot so the 1.5 in 13 min isn't going to be an issue for me, but in that same breath I fill bad for the people who have worked to run it in 15 min and now most likely won't be passing the academy. For people coming into the academy it's not really fair they have had no notice of this change but I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles.

The only thing anyone can do now is work hard and give it 100%

Also small note the change was from 15 min to 13 min, if and when this all happens.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8235 users online. 354 members and 7881 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X