Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If your academy dates are 8/8 to 12/13 does that include Spanish training?

Comment

• Originally posted by aranajav View Post
      If your academy dates are 8/8 to 12/13 does that include Spanish training?
      No, add on another 6 weeks for that as well. Usually shipped off to spanish training the next day after graduation from basic.
      CBP: CBPO
      EOD: 10/11/11 (South Texas)

Comment

• Hey guys. I applied for Michigan back in like 2010, didnt hear anything so switched to SWB. Didnt hear anything for months and months and recently applied for the Midweat region on the new announcement. Got a TSL Friday, thinking it'd be for that but it turned out to be for SWB so i assume they are getting desperate and plucked me from 2010. Scheduled my VBT for june 20th, which sucks cuz the last one i took was in 2007 so its expired. That is such an uncomfortable test! Anyway my CASS shows everything pending but shows that a clinic has been assigned for my fitness and that my medical states "your medical exam from a previous application is being reviewed." Thats a new one to me, never saw that one before. Any here get the med cleared from a prior application?

Comment

• Originally posted by Soon2BeCBPO View Post
          Does anyone know if there is WiFi at the dorms? I want to bring my Ipad or Laptop.
          There is wifi but you have to purchase service. The middle package is a 100 bucks if you prepay for 3 months you save 20 bucks... It's pretty fast so I would stick with that one. What people don't tell you is that the wifi will only work for one device. So if you initially set it up for your ipad and want to switch it to your labtop they charge you $10 dollars each time you switch it... Just some food for thought.
          Originally posted by aranajav View Post
          If your academy dates are 8/8 to 12/13 does that include Spanish training?
          The academy date does not include Spanish Emersion provided you don't pass the test. It is another 6 weeks.

Congrats to those that got the call. I'll see you guys in SY when I finish up in October/November after Spanish...
          CBPO
          GEO Pref: SWB
          App Date: 8/2/11
          Written Exam: 9/1/11
          NOR (Rating: 85, no vet pref, GS-5/7): 9/29/11
          TSL submitted: 10/12/11 (faxed & mailed)
          E-Qip submitted: 10/14/11
          SF86 submitted: 10/25/11
          PFT1: 11/8/11 (cleared CASS 12/1/11)
          Med: 11/8/11 (cleared CASS 12/8/11)
          BI: 11/15/11 (cleared CASS 12/8/11)
          VBT/SI: 12/7/11 (cleared CASS 12/15/11)
          DT: 12/9/11 (cleared CASS 12/20/11)
          Referred to Schedule EOD 12/15/11
          Call Rec.: 3/2/12
          PFT2: 3/16/12
          EOD: 4/9/12
          FLETC: 5/11/12 - 9/17/12

Comment

• If people are barely making the 17 minute mark, they probably shouldn't get hired in my opinion. I like the idea of having the same fitness standards as BP. We need to bring up our fitness standards across the agency. I know some people might not think so, but we are a law enforcement agency we're not customer service reps. The quicker we start behaving as such the quicker people will see us as such.
            Either way if it doesn't change I have no problem with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by amillot View Post
              If people are barely making the 17 minute mark, they probably shouldn't get hired in my opinion. I like the idea of having the same fitness standards as BP. We need to bring up our fitness standards across the agency. I know some people might not think so, but we are a law enforcement agency we're not customer service reps. The quicker we start behaving as such the quicker people will see us as such.
              Well I just took the fitness test a couple months ago for Nashville Metro PD and passed. Their run time is 1.5 miles in 14 minutes and they probably have to get in footchases quite a bit, not to mention fights and such. I just can't see the customs side of the house needing to run faster than a police officer. If they do want to change the standards then it should be done for the next announcement since there are people in the middle of an academy or about to go who have trained for the 15 minute standard.

Comment

• Originally posted by barnaj View Post
                Hey guys. I applied for Michigan back in like 2010, didnt hear anything so switched to SWB. Didnt hear anything for months and months and recently applied for the Midweat region on the new announcement. Got a TSL Friday, thinking it'd be for that but it turned out to be for SWB so i assume they are getting desperate and plucked me from 2010. Scheduled my VBT for june 20th, which sucks cuz the last one i took was in 2007 so its expired. That is such an uncomfortable test! Anyway my CASS shows everything pending but shows that a clinic has been assigned for my fitness and that my medical states "your medical exam from a previous application is being reviewed." Thats a new one to me, never saw that one before. Any here get the med cleared from a prior application?
                are you going to keep the SWB? Its strange they sent you that since you reapplied under the new announcement. I am going to give it this week to see if i get an offer for the southeast. If not I am switching to SWB

Comment

• Is there anyone here who started the pre-employment process for the Northwest region?

Comment

• Originally posted by mnewsom21 View Post
                    are you going to keep the SWB? Its strange they sent you that since you reapplied under the new announcement. I am going to give it this week to see if i get an offer for the southeast. If not I am switching to SWB
                    Yeah i was confused by that too. Im not really sure how/why i got a TSL for the SWB after applying for the new announcement under Midwest. Unless they dropped Midwest apps and converted to SWB, that doesnt sound right either... Was hoping maybe someone could chime in.

Comment

If people are barely making the 17 minute mark, they probably shouldn't get hired in my opinion. I like the idea of having the same fitness standards as BP. We need to bring up our fitness standards across the agency. I know some people might not think so, but we are a law enforcement agency we're not customer service reps. The quicker we start behaving as such the quicker people will see us as such.
                      I agree it would be nice if we could increase the fitness standards. I think theres more to that than just lowering the run time. Theres a lot of people out there that have great running times but couldn't push a 180 lbs. person off of them if they were attacked. Also theres no situp requirement at FLETC which I think is a mistake. I think US Park Police has a pretty dynamic fitness requirements, they include using the bench press. And you have to do all the fitness tests before you get selected to take a written exam.

But there is also many other law enforcement positions that have an easier fitness equipment or no fitness requirement at all that train at FLETC.

I personally do not believe the nature of the work warrants a run time of below 13 minutes. If it happens it happens, it wont affect me either way. It wasn't too long ago the requirements for this job was 1.5 miles below 16:30! no push ups or sprint.

I think if CBP lowers their run time and the economy starts to pick back up, with less applicants and current CBPOs moving to different agencies, They will not be able to fill classes with people, there will be a huge shortage a some ports.
                      CBPO
                      TO - 05/08 JFK
                      EOD - 12/05/2011

Comment

• Thank you BKsfinest10 and best of luck with everything.

Comment

• Thanks for the info Buis02 and congrats on the job. I will also be working at San Ysidro Port, my report date is July 9th. I was wondering since FLETC is not until 8/8 what do you recommend for housing during that time?

Comment

Any idea if CBP will be getting LE pay anytime soon?

Comment

• Originally posted by LIcoastie View Post
                              I agree it would be nice if we could increase the fitness standards. I think theres more to that than just lowering the run time. Theres a lot of people out there that have great running times but couldn't push a 180 lbs. person off of them if they were attacked. Also theres no situp requirement at FLETC which I think is a mistake. I think US Park Police has a pretty dynamic fitness requirements, they include using the bench press. And you have to do all the fitness tests before you get selected to take a written exam.

But there is also many other law enforcement positions that have an easier fitness equipment or no fitness requirement at all that train at FLETC.

I personally do not believe the nature of the work warrants a run time of below 13 minutes. If it happens it happens, it wont affect me either way. It wasn't too long ago the requirements for this job was 1.5 miles below 16:30! no push ups or sprint.

I think if CBP lowers their run time and the economy starts to pick back up, with less applicants and current CBPOs moving to different agencies, They will not be able to fill classes with people, there will be a huge shortage a some ports.
                              I could argue against the bench press. Simply because good defense tactics would eliminate the need to have to "push" someone off of you. The sad thing is with the turnover, more and more people are getting hired and making it through the academy and very few are getting weeded out, when they don't belong... Not to say they are bad people, but it's just not a job for everyone, especially the southwest border.
                              Originally posted by aranajav View Post
                              Any idea if CBP will be getting LE pay anytime soon?
                              No idea. That's up to the bosses in DC

Comment

Not that I disagree entirely, but...

With BP-esque fitness standards likely comes a BP-esque workforce profile.
                                BP is 95%+ male and 95%+ White/Hispanic. OFO is currently far more gender and culturally diverse.

I wonder if they would implement new standards with the idea of targeted hiring for minorities/females? Then again, they could just more or less accept a workforce far less eclectic than the current one.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11389 users online. 387 members and 11002 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X