300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
    MY advice...if you're willing to work anywhere...and that likely means some place less than optimal...then chase the job wherever it takes you. Right now, that more or less happens to be southern border locations.

If you want location...then put in for location and hope that the job catches up to you. Eventually, it likely will.

No matter what you do expect to be locked into your location choice for many years. Relocation usually doesn't come early or easy. With the new voluntary reassignment program coming into fruition, much if not most of the future movement is likely to become seniority-based.
    Thanks Merlin,

I don't mind moving at all, but I am considering the financial aspect of it since I own a house here in the subs of Detroit. How does the promotion process work as a CBPO, how long would it take to get up to GL-12, assuming that all duties are performed good?
    BPA
    Application Date: 09/11/2011
    Examination Date: 11/18/2011
    NOR: 11/29/2011 (95)
    TSL: 04/05/2012
    PFT1: 05/07/2012 Pass
    Med: 05/14/2012 Pass
    SI: 05/29/2012 Pass
    EQIP Updated: 07/17/2012
    BI: Clear
    PFT2: ?
    EOD?

Comment

• Originally posted by SeaSpider View Post
      Thanks Merlin,

I don't mind moving at all, but I am considering the financial aspect of it since I own a house here in the subs of Detroit. How does the promotion process work as a CBPO, how long would it take to get up to GL-12, assuming that all duties are performed good?
      Assuming nothing substantial occurs which would change things, the normal progression would be:

GS-05
      GS-07
      GS-09
      GS-11
      GS-12

Each promotion would occur on or roughly on the anniversary of one's EOD date. So, assuming somebody was hired as a GS-05 on 05/22/2012, he picks up his GS-12 in late May of 2016. If he's hired as a GS-07 on 05/22/2012, he picks up that GS-12 in late May of 2015.

As an aside...there is no such thing as a GL-12.

First and most important, the GL pay grade only applies in grades GL-03 through GL-10. Anything outside that scale sees GS pay.

Secondly, and most relevant to CBPOs, CBPOs are not paid on the GL scale...on any level. GL pay is reserved for a limited class of federal LEOs as defined by an arbitrary definition of 'LEO' under retirement law. CBPO's and several other classes of federal law enforcement officers fall outside that definition.

In the future, who knows? There is pay reform afoot within CBP that would define CBPOs as 'LEOs', among other changes. That reform would open up CBPOs on the 05, 07, and 09 level to GL pay.

Comment

Assuming nothing substantial occurs which would change things, the normal progression would be:

GS-05
        GS-07
        GS-09
        GS-11
        GS-12

Each promotion would occur on or roughly on the anniversary of one's EOD date. So, assuming somebody was hired as a GS-05 on 05/22/2012, he picks up his GS-12 in late May of 2016. If he's hired as a GS-07 on 05/22/2012, he picks up that GS-12 in late May of 2015.

As an aside...there is no such thing as a GL-12.

First and most important, the GL pay grade only applies in grades GL-03 through GL-10. Anything outside that scale sees GS pay.

Secondly, and most relevant to CBPOs, CBPOs are not paid on the GL scale...on any level. GL pay is reserved for a limited class of federal LEOs as defined by an arbitrary definition of 'LEO' under retirement law. CBPO's and several other classes of federal law enforcement officers fall outside that definition.

In the future, who knows? There is pay reform afoot within CBP that would define CBPOs as 'LEOs', among other changes. That reform would open up CBPOs on the 05, 07, and 09 level to GL pay.
        Merlin, can you explain a little about the steps on the pay scale? in the worse case, how much could be the monthly salary and the best case with overtime for a G-5 CBPO? Thank you.
        Geo:SWB
        CBPO Exam:12/10
        TSl: 5/11
        Medical & Pft1:9/11 Passed
        Met BI:1/12
        VBT/SI:10/11 Passed
        Drug Test:04/12 Passed
        Qual:cleared 3/12
        Polygraph: Scheduled 11/23/12
        PFT2:
        EOD:

Comment

• What exactly do you want to know?

Outside of something odd...like leave without pay status, worse case monthly pay would be GS-05 base salary for that particular location. For RUS people, that would be $31315/12 or roughly $2610 for the month, before taxes and other deductions.

Best case? Well, I guess if the agency was to allow somebody to work 16 hour days each and every day for an entire month, the right GS-05 person could see close to 15K in pay after 31 days. As a practical matter will that happen...no.

Overtime, differential pay and the like is usually fickle and capricious. It all depends on what's being offered by a particular port at a particular time. I won't even try to guess what the upward limit of the typical GS-05 might be today.

Assuming no future changes , the normal progression each year would be...

05/01
          07/01
          09/01
          11/01
          12/01
          12/02
          12/03
          12/04
          12/04
          12/05
          12/05
          12/06
          12/06
          12/07
          12/07
          12/07
          12/08
          12/08
          12/08
          12/09
          12/09
          12/09
          12/10

With 12/10 being the salary for each year additional.

Comment

What exactly do you want to know?

Outside of something odd...like leave without pay status, worse case monthly pay would be GS-05 base salary for that particular location. For RUS people, that would be $31315/12 or roughly $2610 for the month, before taxes and other deductions.

Best case? Well, I guess if the agency was to allow somebody to work 16 hour days each and every day for an entire month, the right GS-05 person could see close to 15K in pay after 31 days. As a practical matter will that happen...no.

Overtime, differential pay and the like is usually fickle and capricious. It all depends on what's being offered by a particular port at a particular time. I won't even try to guess what the upward limit of the typical GS-05 might be today.

Assuming no future changes , the normal progression each year would be...

05/01
            07/01
            09/01
            11/01
            12/01
            12/02
            12/03
            12/04
            12/04
            12/05
            12/05
            12/06
            12/06
            12/07
            12/07
            12/07
            12/08
            12/08
            12/08
            12/09
            12/09
            12/09
            12/10

With 12/10 being the salary for each year additional.
            Thank you so much Merlin. That's what I wanted to know.. I am only want to make sure that I am doing the right thing. I was asking different people including (LEO's) about my decision of become a CBPO. This is not an easy process, but hopefully will be a good decision.
            CBPO Exam:12/10
            TSl: 5/11
            Medical & Pft1:9/11 Passed
            Met BI:1/12
            VBT/SI:10/11 Passed
            Drug Test:04/12 Passed
            Qual:cleared 3/12
            Polygraph: Scheduled 11/23/12
            PFT2:
            EOD:

Comment

• The typical first-year hire is most likely looking at base pay salary, or thereabouts.

Pre-academy, academy, Spanish and the various post-academy training modules typically take place during non-differential hours and offer little, if any, opportunities at working overtime. Between pre-academy, academy and Spanish alone, there are roughly 29 weeks of year one tied up into little but familiarization and learning.

Comment

• So I'm guessing that pre-academy is held where your POE is. What is pre-academy like?
                CBPO Exam:08/2/11
                TSl 1 & 2: 11/14/11 & 11/25/11
                Medical & Pft1:12/10/11 Passed
                VBT/SI: 5/10/12 Passed
                Drug Test: 7/12/12 Passed
                Qual: (GS-7) Cleared 8/12/12
                Poly 1 & 2: 9/26/12 & 11/8/12 Passed
                BI: Met investigator on 12/6 Complete on 3/26/13
                TSU: 3/28/13
                EOD: 8/12/13 (Brownsville, TX)
                FLETC: 9/13/13

Comment

• Originally posted by Pointman8 View Post
                  So I'm guessing that pre-academy is held where your POE is. What is pre-academy like?
                  Yeah, I was wondering the same thing! I have to be in calexico on July 2 and back to Georgia a month later and don't know if I should drive there, look for somewhere to live or not. Guess I have to call and ask the hiring center....
                  NOR: Northeast 8/29/11
                  NOR: Changed to SWB 11/16/11
                  TO: 12/30
                  Pre-Employment Forms: Completed
                  Qualifications: Completed, GS-7
                  Medical Exam: Completed
                  BI: Submitted 2/23/12 Cleared 05/15/2012
                  Structured Interview: Completed
                  Fitness: Passed 3/05/12
                  Poly: 03/24/12
                  Drug Screening: Completed
                  EOD: July 2

Comment

• Hey guys, I just got called for the poly. I don't know if I should be excited or upset that I have to take one... 60 percent fail rate is not good! I need general pointers. >_<
                    "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your path straight." - Proverbs 3:5,6

Comment

• Besides the obvious "don't lie" one. I'll make sure to do none of that lol
                      "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your path straight." - Proverbs 3:5,6

Comment

• Originally posted by mm3454 View Post
                        Yeah, I was wondering the same thing! I have to be in calexico on July 2 and back to Georgia a month later and don't know if I should drive there, look for somewhere to live or not. Guess I have to call and ask the hiring center....
                        what other Stations they gave you to pick apart from Calexico?
                        remember that you will be in the Academy for 5+ months, that if you find a place during your EOD you will have to pre pay for the time in the academy, check if you can get a phone number for someone out there prior of you arriving and ask does questions directly to them.
                        CBPO:
                        GEO Pref: SWB
                        App Date: 19 MAR 2012
                        Written Exam: 30 MAR 2012
                        NOR: 5 APR 2012 Rating 90 w/VP
                        TSL submitted: 27 APR 2012
                        E-Qip submitted: 1 May 2012
                        PFT1: 30 May 2012 Pass
                        Med:11 June 2012
                        BI: In Security Office
                        VBT/SI: Pending
                        Drug Test: Pending
                        Referred to Schedule EOD: Pending
                        Call Rec: Pending
                        PFT2: Pending
                        EOD: Pending
                        FLETC: Pending

Comment

• Drug test cleared today. One more to go. I hope to get a call from my BI soon. I am still active duty getting out at the end of this year. Should I ask for an early out sooner that December? What you guys think about it?
                          Last edited by Serfloco; 05-22-2012, 06:26 PM.
                          CBPO

GOE SWB
                          Wrtten Test: 2011/OCT/11
                          NOR: 2011/OCT/21
                          PFT1/MED: 2011/DEC/02 PASS
                          VBT/SI: 2012/JAN/23 PASS
                          Qualifications: Cleared(7)
                          Drug Test: 2012/MAY/18 PASS
                          BI : In security Office(I met the BI in Jan 2013)
                          Polygraph: 2012/DEC/14
                          PFT2: ????
                          EOD: ?????

Comment

• Originally posted by Pointman8 View Post
                            So I'm guessing that pre-academy is held where your POE is. What is pre-academy like?

As with many things, it'll depend on the port.

Expect hiring paperwork, computer setup and training, familiarization, etc. for the first few days.
                            After that, it's pretty much dependent on whatever tasks the port has available to keep you busy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rms16 View Post
                              Definetly get in contact with MHC. I always use to email them when I had a question. I handed in all my forms around the end of June 2011 and my qual did not clear till January 2012. It varies for each individual. Just shoot them an email and ask if something was missing and see what they say. For me they made it seem that around the time my BI would clear so would my qual. I know think I was just thinking they were implying something they weren't.
                              So I talked to MHC today, and long behold they were missing a dd214. Scanned and sent it over, hopefully it will clear now!

Comment

• Originally posted by IamWolf View Post
                                Hey guys, I just got called for the poly. I don't know if I should be excited or upset that I have to take one... 60 percent fail rate is not good! I need general pointers. >_<
                                You're better off going with no pre-conceptions and knowing absolutely nothing about polygraph tests, trust me. Aside from that, be honest and good luck. The part I don't like about polygraphs is that they are very subjective so hope for a nice examiner and don't do anything to **** him/her off.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10668 users online. 507 members and 10161 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X