300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sick of being a Army Grunt View Post
    Food for thought, for anyone thinking of changing to the SWB to get hired faster...

If you are thinking about coming to the SWB and you are married, you need to read this. As I stated before I have been in El Paso, Texas for about 3 years (Army). El Paso is a fairly large city, especially on the SWB. If your wife/spouse does not speak Spanish then He or She will have a very hard time finding any kind of job. Its a lot easier in El Paso because of Ft Bliss but its still extremely hard to find any kind of employment if you can not speak Spanish. Im talking Wal-mart, 7-Eleven or jobs that require you to have a degree. I feel this is something that you should strongly look into if you are married. So 1. its going to be a culture shock, 2. Slim employment chances for anyone who does not speak Spanish... Hence the reason why US Federal Officers/Agents has to learn it..

You will run into people who can speak English but will not speak it, which I find rude but hey it is what it is.......
    My fiancé was looking for jobs in the area and she doesn’t speak Spanish very well at all and her experience was quite different from what you described. My fiancé is a RN and when she started looking for jobs they were practically throwing them at her, I have been told the nursing programs out here aren’t that great so that may be a big part of it.

I will concede that you here much more Spanish out here than even in places like SOCAL or Arizona but I think that has to do with the majority of the population being of Spanish/Mexican descent (something like 85% according to the census).

As for people being rude I have yet to encounter that either but I mostly stay on the west side of town and typically have been told that the west side is much more friendly and nicer, hence why I stay in that area.

My first impressions of El Paso is it really is nice I find it beautiful especially at night when that cool 75 degree weather blows in, as far as it being a culture shock, yeah it is especially if your from a part of the country that doesn’t have a heavy Latino community.

My honest opinion so far is that El Paso is a nice place to live, granted I have not been here to long but I believe just like anywhere in the country where you live is what you make of it. I do think knowing Spanish will greatly help you in El Paso but I don’t believe it is mandatory, just my 2 cents here.

Comment

• anyone know anything about Brownsville, TX area?

Comment

• Originally posted by javy03 View Post
        Oh i know, but I think they will stop that practice, look what happened to Capitol Police (DC) they had i think 2 academies full with Cadets with no BI because they needed bodies in the academy and i think the lost one full class mid way thru. thats a lot of Money and effort, i think it was like 2 or 3 years a go.

But yes, Border Patrol did it in 2008 when they did the mass hiring, i have a buddy in San Diego that grew up with me and he wasnt the best of people, but he cleared 1 week prior to finishing the academy.

Will see Sir (are u FLNG) i am working in the 53rd building in Pinellas Park
        Still looking for a home in FL... right now on the IRR until I do and I'm done with my "probation".

As to the practice of "interim" clearances...it has come back to bite CBP as well in the past, I guess their new way of thinking that "if they pass the Poly they should be OK" has been working so far... Haven't heard any stories so far from this new practice.
        CBPO
        Written: 08/29/2007
        EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• Getting ready to throw my application in the pool for the current vacancy. I will selecting the SWB. However, I do have a question.

1. I was just involved in a long hiring process for DOE. Received my conditional offer of employment, processed through everything (all passing), and received a call stating that they could not hire be due to an underage drinking and disorderly conduct I received back in 2005. Is this going to jam me up here as well? I want to add too that I was completely open with everything, and it wasn't just some "surprise" to them. Also have smoked marijuana in the past, but like I said, that was 2004, 05.

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by yoda View Post
            Still looking for a home in FL... right now on the IRR until I do and I'm done with my "probation".

As to the practice of "interim" clearances...it has come back to bite CBP as well in the past, I guess their new way of thinking that "if they pass the Poly they should be OK" has been working so far... Haven't heard any stories so far from this new practice.
            So, are you working already? where are you station.

its weird how they are doing things. I got my TSL 1 and 2 and did the eqip and they all already working mi BI as i got a call the other day to tell that, and i havent done Medical or nothing like that. So will see.

hope all is well
            CBPO:
            GEO Pref: SWB
            App Date: 19 MAR 2012
            Written Exam: 30 MAR 2012
            NOR: 5 APR 2012 Rating 90 w/VP
            TSL submitted: 27 APR 2012
            E-Qip submitted: 1 May 2012
            PFT1: 30 May 2012 Pass
            Med:11 June 2012
            BI: In Security Office
            VBT/SI: Pending
            Drug Test: Pending
            Referred to Schedule EOD: Pending
            Call Rec: Pending
            PFT2: Pending
            EOD: Pending
            FLETC: Pending

Comment

• Originally posted by Bassjunkie06 View Post
              I can't even do 1... i had a slap tear repair on my shoulder
              Therapist said i'll rip my shoulder again if i try lol. june 5th i'll hit 3 months. Keep trying. Do pushups when you wake up and b4 u go to sleep. Don't forget to warm up. Are you practicing with a 4inch block?
              SO sorry to hear that... Hopefully with therapy u will be able to in a near future... Have faith... btw I'm just practicing without blocks or anything just laying on the floor it's tough but I'm practicing 2 or 3 times daily... sets of 10 or 12...
              NOR 05/01/12 (90) SWB
              TSL 1 05/10/12
              TSL 2 05/12/12
              PFT 1 06/07/12
              MEDICAL 06/14/12
              VBT 06/27/12
              POLY 07/06/12

Comment

• Originally posted by bigb3558 View Post
                Getting ready to throw my application in the pool for the current vacancy. I will selecting the SWB. However, I do have a question.

1. I was just involved in a long hiring process for DOE. Received my conditional offer of employment, processed through everything (all passing), and received a call stating that they could not hire be due to an underage drinking and disorderly conduct I received back in 2005. Is this going to jam me up here as well? I want to add too that I was completely open with everything, and it wasn't just some "surprise" to them. Also have smoked marijuana in the past, but like I said, that was 2004, 05.

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks
                What type of job were you applying for DOE, because depending on the type of work/clerance you needed thats probably why you were not selected, is a different process i think, so give it a shot.
                CBPO:

Comment

What type of job were you applying for DOE, because depending on the type of work/clerance you needed thats probably why you were not selected, is a different process i think, so give it a shot.

Security Police Officer at an Atomic Lab. They required a Q clearance which is a top secret clearance. Also, I was told that it was def. because of those issues I listed above.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigb3558 View Post
                    Security Police Officer at an Atomic Lab. They required a Q clearance which is a top secret clearance. Also, I was told that it was def. because of those issues I listed above.
                    yeap, i think the Security and Atomic together i think they will want someone with nothing on their record. im guessing.. good luck
                    CBPO:

Comment

yeap, i think the Security and Atomic together i think they will want someone with nothing on their record. im guessing.. good luck
                      That's what I was told, which is understandable. Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by yoda View Post
                        That kind of TSO's are still being hired to this day.... They are the same ones caught on camera stealing from passengers.
                        CBPO's go through an extremely thorough BI that goes back 10 years, even if they didn't have to go through a Poly to be hired, they were vetted the right way. Not only do we go through this on the hiring process, but every 5 years on the job as well.
                        Not too accurate. I was hired in October of last year and had to fill out the same eqip, have a three hour interview with an investigator, and everyone I listed on my application and my neighbors were talked to.

Comment

• To be honest, I had to fill out the sf86 form and give references. When I met with the investigator I had to swear to tell the truth. I'm almost 24 now, I had to go back and tell her what I did during school, why I quit certain jobs, why I travelled to certain countries. I had to give both of my parents passport numbers, and a lot of other things. My references were sent letters asking about me and she even told me that one of them didn't send it back. I don't disagree with you that TSA has (bad) employees, but what about the BP Agents that were caught doing illegal things? Not everyone is perfect, and that's why now CBP is conducting more POLYS than ever. Now that TSA is under DHS everything is changing. If you get arrested you will had to call up headquarters and explain when and why you were arrested, if not they will find out and that can be grounds for termination.
                          Originally posted by yoda View Post
                          That kind of TSO's are still being hired to this day.... They are the same ones caught on camera stealing from passengers.
                          CBPO's go through an extremely thorough BI that goes back 10 years, even if they didn't have to go through a Poly to be hired, they were vetted the right way. Not only do we go through this on the hiring process, but every 5 years on the job as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bassjunkie06 View Post
                            To be honest, I had to fill out the sf86 form and give references. When I met with the investigator I had to swear to tell the truth. I'm almost 24 now, I had to go back and tell her what I did during school, why I quit certain jobs, why I travelled to certain countries. I had to give both of my parents passport numbers, and a lot of other things. My references were sent letters asking about me and she even told me that one of them didn't send it back. I don't disagree with you that TSA has (bad) employees, but what about the BP Agents that were caught doing illegal things? Not everyone is perfect, and that's why now CBP is conducting more POLYS than ever. Now that TSA is under DHS everything is changing. If you get arrested you will had to call up headquarters and explain when and why you were arrested, if not they will find out and that can be grounds for termination.

For Top Secret you have to go back 10yrs if im not mistaken, but in cases like arrest and convictions if you pay attention to SF-86 (E-qip) it will ask you "IN THE PASS 10 YRS" or HAVE YOU EVER been arrested.

if you are 24 then yes they probably want to know when you were a Teenager to see if you had any juvi stuff.
                            CBPO:

Comment

• I've did my testing for SWB in September 2011 and I finished my Poly last
                              month, met with my BI two weeks ago and now they are calling to schedule drug test. Everything in CASS for me is green except BI and drug test. How soon do you guys think I will be called for EOD or POE start date? The reason why I ask is because I was hoping I won't get called till end of this year. I want to stick with my current job for a few more months before starting my career with the government. But my assumption is that they are moving quickly with my application.

Comment

• it really just depends, there is no telling. It could be next week, could be next year. There are a lot of people waiting for SWB who have their BI cleared already. Depends on their needs as well (i.e. males and females)...But you will more than likely get your last few months in at your job...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12216 users online. 409 members and 11807 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X