Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSgirlCA, my background cleared after I did my Poly but never met with my BI, unless the person doing my Poly was my BI. But I wonder why I see a lot of people meeting with their BI's? Is that standard or it's because I'm already working in the federal system that I didn't have to?
    NOR: Northeast 8/29/11
    NOR: Changed to SWB 11/16/11
    TO: 12/30
    Pre-Employment Forms: Completed
    Qualifications: Completed, GS-7
    Medical Exam: Completed
    BI: Submitted 2/23/12 Cleared 05/15/2012
    Structured Interview: Completed
    Fitness: Passed 3/05/12
    Poly: 03/24/12
    Drug Screening: Completed
    EOD: July 2

Comment

• Originally posted by rambo123 View Post
      What's unprofessional about a neatly trimmed goatee and how does having one make your process longer then others? It was an opinion poll asked because the facial hair policy is up in the air.
      The thing is if you think that a goatee is professional then have one on, but if you are in doubt then shave and when you find out then you will know for sure. Get it? the thing is that HAIR POLICY is for when you are already working for the Agency, nothing will apply to you before that. So, if you have facial hair and the people sitting in the SI don't like it then guest what?

You guys are stressing to much on apperances, play it safe and when you are hired you will have access to policies ect. Because if they find you unfit on the SI is not because policy is because of what they saw or heard ect.. BECAUSE POLICY IS FOR DHS PERSONNEL or CBPO personnel.

And having one doesnt make the process longer, not understanding the US GOV hiring process and getting anxious about small things like facial hair then the wait will make you go crazy.

But, thats just me...
      CBPO:
      GEO Pref: SWB
      App Date: 19 MAR 2012
      Written Exam: 30 MAR 2012
      NOR: 5 APR 2012 Rating 90 w/VP
      TSL submitted: 27 APR 2012
      E-Qip submitted: 1 May 2012
      PFT1: 30 May 2012 Pass
      Med:11 June 2012
      BI: In Security Office
      VBT/SI: Pending
      Drug Test: Pending
      Referred to Schedule EOD: Pending
      Call Rec: Pending
      PFT2: Pending
      EOD: Pending
      FLETC: Pending

Comment

• Originally posted by yoda View Post
        A poorly written report will be taken as a poorly trained Officer in court... and a lawyer might just have all charges dropped because of those missing letters.

As far as I'm concerned the agency should require a Degree for this position... where else can you make this amount of money with only a HS diploma?
        Where? in the Military, in the U.S Marshals, in the ATF, and in any entry level GS position. why? because when you make GS-11 you probably would have been to Agency specific training that will show you in's and out's. Remember that you will be consider for ENTRY LEVEL positions and 33K a year is not a lot of money, is good to start, but you will be making "GOOD MONEY" when you hit GS-11/12 ect, not counting OT.
        CBPO:

Comment

• Originally posted by mm3454 View Post
          DSgirlCA, my background cleared after I did my Poly but never met with my BI, unless the person doing my Poly was my BI. But I wonder why I see a lot of people meeting with their BI's? Is that standard or it's because I'm already working in the federal system that I didn't have to?
          That happend to me when i got my Secret thru DoD some of my Soldiers did not meet with the BI, but i did because they wanted to clarify some information. So maybe that was the case, they probably had everything that they needed on you.

Good Luck
          CBPO:

Comment

• Originally posted by mm3454 View Post
            DSgirlCA, my background cleared after I did my Poly but never met with my BI, unless the person doing my Poly was my BI. But I wonder why I see a lot of people meeting with their BI's? Is that standard or it's because I'm already working in the federal system that I didn't have to?
            Honestly I've been logging into this forum for some time now hoping I would see some consistency, of course trying to get an idea of when my turn will come but the longer I wait the more inconsistencies I see. I’m also a federal employee with a top secret clearance. I met with a BI in March and have not heard anything about a poly. I’ve met people on this forum that had TOs about a week before me and they are already in FLETC with no poly. Other people are getting BI interviews and Polys, others just polys, others just interviews…. Obviously the process is completely different for everyone regardless if you work for the feds or not.
            Do you mind adding the dates on your sig? When did you get your TO?
            Exam: 12/10 (for West Coast)
            Reapplied: 7/11 (for SWB)
            TSL: 10/28/11 (SWB)
            PFT1: 12/2/11 (passed)
            Medical: 12/2/11 (passed)
            VBT & S.I.: 1/10/12 (passed)
            B.I.: 3/19/12 met with BI (in security office)
            Qualifications: 3/22/12 (cleared)
            Drug Test: 5/17/2012 (cleared)
            PFT2: ?

Comment

• Originally posted by yoda View Post
              As far as I'm concerned the agency should require a Degree for this position... where else can you make this amount of money with only a HS diploma?
              Meh.

As practical matter, who's getting hired with only a HS diploma? How many of those "HS" hires have years of extensive and relevant work/life experience as well?

Not to knock formal education, but there are many aspects needed to succeed at this job that typically won't be learned in a classroom. Much of the work involves knowing how to read people, situations, circumstances...not books. There's plenty on hand-on stuff out there that's more suited to the former farmers, auto mechanics, plumbers and carpenters...and not so much to the former teachers, accountants and other white-collar types.

Plus...in all honesty...it's not as if having a degree in today's world is necessarily all that meaningful. A lot of schools will hand them out to people who put up the cash and put in minimal effort. All that's needed in many cases is to pay tuition, attend classes, do the assignments, take the tests and bingo...there's a 2.5 GPA and a piece of paper awaiting for you at the end of 4 years. No real learning required.

Comment

• Originally posted by DSgirlCA View Post
                Honestly I've been logging into this forum for some time now hoping I would see some consistency, of course trying to get an idea of when my turn will come but the longer I wait the more inconsistencies I see. I’m also a federal employee with a top secret clearance. I met with a BI in March and have not heard anything about a poly. I’ve met people on this forum that had TOs about a week before me and they are already in FLETC with no poly. Other people are getting BI interviews and Polys, others just polys, others just interviews…. Obviously the process is completely different for everyone regardless if you work for the feds or not.
                Do you mind adding the dates on your sig? When did you get your TO?

Had to go through a lot of emails in my inbox to find these.. Might have missed one or two but that should be pretty accurate!

BI: Submitted 2/23/12
                Pre-Employment Forms: Completed
                Qualifications: Completed, GS-7
                Medical Exam: Completed
                BI: Submitted 2/23/12 Cleared 05/15/2012
                Structured Interview: Completed
                Drug Screening: Completed
                EOD: July 2

Comment

• Originally posted by IamWolf View Post
                  Ok that makes sense. Wow, 4 days is much better than the 4 - 6 weeks they told me about. I'll be checking my mail pretty soon then Thanks!
                  I got my response in exactly 1 week

Comment

• I just received my May fitness email. Check your email for all who were inquiring about it recently.
                    Geo:SWB
                    CBPO Exam:08/2/11
                    TSl 1 & 2: 11/14/11 & 11/25/11
                    Medical & Pft1:12/10/11 Passed
                    VBT/SI: 5/10/12 Passed
                    Drug Test: 7/12/12 Passed
                    Qual: (GS-7) Cleared 8/12/12
                    Poly 1 & 2: 9/26/12 & 11/8/12 Passed
                    BI: Met investigator on 12/6 Complete on 3/26/13
                    TSU: 3/28/13
                    EOD: 8/12/13 (Brownsville, TX)
                    FLETC: 9/13/13

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                      Meh.

As practical matter, who's getting hired with only a HS diploma? How many of those "HS" hires have years of extensive and relevant work/life experience as well?

Not to knock formal education, but there are many aspects needed to succeed at this job that typically won't be learned in a classroom. Much of the work involves knowing how to read people, situations, circumstances...not books. There's plenty on hand-on stuff out there that's more suited to the former farmers, auto mechanics, plumbers and carpenters...and not so much to the former teachers, accountants and other white-collar types.

Plus...in all honesty...it's not as if having a degree in today's world is necessarily all that meaningful. A lot of schools will hand them out to people who put up the cash and put in minimal effort. All that's needed in many cases is to pay tuition, attend classes, do the assignments, take the tests and bingo...there's a 2.5 GPA and a piece of paper awaiting for you at the end of 4 years. No real learning required.
                      The people who usually say this don't have a degree, and actually feel threatened by those who do. The truth is that I have so many co-workers that couldn't put two sentences together on a sheet of paper. Yet all the time they wonder why the AUSA isn't accepting our cases, and why the supervisors are returning their reports and memos dozens of times because they are so poorly written. Perhaps some college level English and writing classes would have helped in that area.

Trying to downplay the hard work that a lot of us put through to earn our education....whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

I'm not saying that a college degree is necessary for the job, but it certainly helps, and there is no need to insult those of us who worked hard to get our educations by making it seem as though we were handed a piece of paper with no effort.
                      Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Comment

• Originally posted by Get Some View Post
                        From what I've read, you have to reach GS11 (Journeyman) level before you can become a K-9 officer. It takes about 4 years or so to reach that level and you have to attend an academy either in Texas or NY. Once selected you work with the canine few hours a day and after decommission many officers keep the canine in their home. Anyways that's all I know from reading forums and websites, might not be 100% accurate, but a general idea.
                        Canines live in boarding facilities, they do not live in the home. I'm great friends with two K9 officers. They do have the option of adoption at the end of the dog's career. That is the only time a dog can go "home".
                        GEO: Midwest
                        Written Exam: 12/10/10
                        NOR: 1/25/11, score 93 no vet pref
                        TO/TSL: 1/9/12
                        VBT & SI: 2/8/12 (cleared CASS 3/27/12)
                        PFT1: 2/9/12 (cleared CASS 2/15/12)
                        Medical: 2/14/12, cleared CASS 3/6/12
                        BI: IN SECURITY OFFICE
                        Pre-employment forms: cleared CASS 4/9/12
                        Qualified GS-7 (received letter 4/9/12, cleared on CASS 4/12/12)
                        Polygraph: 5/11/12
                        Drug test: 5/24/12, cleared CASS 5/31/12
                        Met with BI: 7/27/12
                        Called: 8/24/12, Chicago
                        PFT2: 9/4/12
                        EOD: 9/24/12
                        FLETC: 10/31-3/15

Comment

• Thanks and yes now I can do 12 push ups HOOORAY!!! I'm getting there...
                          NOR 05/01/12 (90) SWB
                          TSL 1 05/10/12
                          TSL 2 05/12/12
                          PFT 1 06/07/12
                          MEDICAL 06/14/12
                          VBT 06/27/12
                          POLY 07/06/12

Comment

• What is next after the TSL 2?
                            NOR 05/01/12 (90) SWB
                            TSL 1 05/10/12
                            TSL 2 05/12/12
                            PFT 1 06/07/12
                            MEDICAL 06/14/12
                            VBT 06/27/12
                            POLY 07/06/12

Comment

• Originally posted by Albert Wesker View Post
                              The people who usually say this don't have a degree, and actually feel threatened by those who do. The truth is that I have so many co-workers that couldn't put two sentences together on a sheet of paper. Yet all the time they wonder why the AUSA isn't accepting our cases, and why the supervisors are returning their reports and memos dozens of times because they are so poorly written. Perhaps some college level English and writing classes would have helped in that area.

Trying to downplay the hard work that a lot of us put through to earn our education....whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

I'm not saying that a college degree is necessary for the job, but it certainly helps, and there is no need to insult those of us who worked hard to get our educations by making it seem as though we were handed a piece of paper with no effort.

I used to work in education...both in primary and secondary grades. I couldn't tell you how many people I've met with an MS in education who struggled to write effectively. I agree that many within CBP could use some formal training on language and writing.

I'm not trying to downplay anyone's actual accomplishments and/or insult anybody. I'm stating a simple fact. There are numerous schools and programs out there that are little more than diploma mills.

Comment

• Originally posted by Albert Wesker View Post

As someone who has been to school and has worked with those with more formal education as well as those that have less formal education, I have to say, that education can make you stupid. Ask any master electrician what an educated electrical engineer knows about electrical construction; it's kind of a running gag.

Writing is an important skill that can be improved with post secondary education, but if one graduates high school without writing skills, he isn't going to learn how to write in college.

Education is a good thing, but there are plenty of educated people that can't do anything productive except what they learned in school. Hell, I went to school for four years and all I learned was a language other than my own, a little bit of another, and some trivial history. I gained more real world knowledge in two years in the Marine Corps, a year as a PA, and a year working in a job that I created.
                                Gek.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12123 users online. 372 members and 11751 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X