300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shark View Post
    I think nobody DSgirlCA, we have the same dates and I took my drug test almost 1 month ago, some people gets their early. I am still waiting for BI. We have no choice.
    I'm not sure if you posted your time line somewhere but do you mind telling me when you got yout TO? I haven't been called for the drug test yet.
    Exam: 12/10 (for West Coast)
    Reapplied: 7/11 (for SWB)
    TSL: 10/28/11 (SWB)
    PFT1: 12/2/11 (passed)
    Medical: 12/2/11 (passed)
    VBT & S.I.: 1/10/12 (passed)
    B.I.: 3/19/12 met with BI (in security office)
    Qualifications: 3/22/12 (cleared)
    Drug Test: 5/17/2012 (cleared)
    PFT2: ?

Comment

• Originally posted by 180Degrees View Post
      I think you should be open to a little constructive criticism, the fact of the matter is that he's right. You should make it a habit of expressing yourself in person, or on a forum with some sort of proper grammar. I'm not saying you need to exhibit perfect grammar and spelling but I think you'd be surprised how often you probably use the same methods of expressing yourself in person due to the fact that you've probably developed those habits and are unaware of it.

You didn't pass the VBT for some specific reason, Sandwichman was merely pointing out a possible reason and he's giving you advice to improve yourself so that your next time around might be more successful. Whether or not that hinges on the way you carry yourself in an interview is unknown but it never hurts to improve yourself in any way you can.

Good luck next time around.

I DID NOT TAKE THE SI it was the other guy, and if you (whoever is applying) dont know how to separate the "hangout" talk from the business correct way to talk as an Adult then you dont need to be applying. I am 32yrs old with 9+ years in the Army i dont need "critism" because if in this stage of my life i dont know how to conduct my self on a JOB interview there is something wrong with me.

I get you point, but this is a place to get information not to be corrected on.

Good Luck and hopefully we can see each other in the Academy or in a Port i hope whoever gets hired will handle them self to the highest standard and will have our backs...
      CBPO:
      GEO Pref: SWB
      App Date: 19 MAR 2012
      Written Exam: 30 MAR 2012
      NOR: 5 APR 2012 Rating 90 w/VP
      TSL submitted: 27 APR 2012
      E-Qip submitted: 1 May 2012
      PFT1: 30 May 2012 Pass
      Med:11 June 2012
      BI: In Security Office
      VBT/SI: Pending
      Drug Test: Pending
      Referred to Schedule EOD: Pending
      Call Rec: Pending
      PFT2: Pending
      EOD: Pending
      FLETC: Pending

Comment

• Originally posted by DSgirlCA View Post
        I'm not sure if you posted your time line somewhere but do you mind telling me when you got yout TO? I haven't been called for the drug test yet.
        Geo:SWB
        CBPO Exam:12/10
        TSl: 6/11
        Medical & Pft1:9/11 Passed
        Met BI:7/11
        VBT/SI:10/11 Passed
        Drug Test:04/12 Passed
        Qual:cleared 3/12
        PFT2:
        EOD:
        Geo:SWB
        CBPO Exam:12/10
        TSl: 5/11
        Medical & Pft1:9/11 Passed
        Met BI:1/12
        VBT/SI:10/11 Passed
        Drug Test:04/12 Passed
        Qual:cleared 3/12
        Polygraph: Scheduled 11/23/12
        PFT2:
        EOD:

Comment

• Originally posted by sandwichman View Post
          I could have sworn that Marine Interdiction falls under the Coast Guard, not even DHS. At least that's what my ex's girlfriend's husband told me (he worked in the command center and was responsible for monitoring the infrared video feeds coming from helicopters among other things).
          This is incorrect. While it is true that the Coast Guard does do Marine Interdiction, CBP does that function as well. The job of Marine Interdiction Agent is a job that falls under CBP office of Air and Marine (see link). The Coast Guard is included in the Department of Homeland Security.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection - Border Security

FB

Comment

• Originally posted by javy03 View Post
            hey Gisey... i was about to post that... Coast Guard is not A MILITARY agency anymore, the only time they are a Military Entity is when they get Deploy in support of a contingency operation and they fall under the Navy's control, so when working in CONUS they are a Civilian Entity with some LEO capabilities under DHS with a military structure such as Ranks ect...
            This is somewhat correct. However, the Coast Guard was never a agency that fell under the Military prior to the creation of DHS the Coast Guard fell under the Department of Transportation. This is why the agency was able to do a law enforcement missions in the United States. When it is necessary particular units can be moved so to speak to the control of the Military. This can be very confusing because Coast Guard members are still considered to be Military Service members in terms of pay structure and retirement.

FB

Comment

hey Gisey... i was about to post that... Coast Guard is not A MILITARY agency anymore, the only time they are a Military Entity is when they get Deploy in support of a contingency operation and they fall under the Navy's control, so when working in CONUS they are a Civilian Entity with some LEO capabilities under DHS with a military structure such as Ranks ect...
              You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. And to you previous post people can ask any questions here they want.

The U.S. Coast Guard is one of the 5 Branches that make up the US Military. And there is no such thing as a Military Agency. Falling under the DOD is not a criteria, the Congress by statute says what is and what is not a Branch of the Military. We don't just deploy under the Navy's control, we are not under the department of the Navy in any way. When Coasties are deployed at sea or at a land unit in a combat area those specific people will fall under who ever is in command in that area. Could be the Army. The USCG is not and has never been a civilian entity. And if you ever get hired you will be taught where the USCG gets it LE powers.
              CBPO
              TO - 05/08 JFK
              EOD - 12/05/2011

Comment

I DID NOT TAKE THE SI it was the other guy, and if you (whoever is applying) dont know how to separate the "hangout" talk from the business correct way to talk as an Adult then you dont need to be applying. I am 32yrs old with 9+ years in the Army i dont need "critism" because if in this stage of my life i dont know how to conduct my self on a JOB interview there is something wrong with me.

Good Luck and hopefully we can see each other in the Academy or in a Port i hope whoever gets hired will handle them self to the highest standard and will have our backs...
                I do know a thing or two concerning this job and expressing yourself in writing is like any other skill that is being discussed in this forum. It is a habit that is developed overtime. If you develop bad habits, they can be very hard to break. This job can involve an inordinate amount of paperwork. Many of the documents that you create are legal documents. Everything you write counts and matters a great deal. Just like practicing push ups and sit ups is important, so is being able to write with proper grammar and spelling. It does not have to be perfect but you should be trying damn hard to be as correct as possible. The more you practice the wrong way the more likely you will be to do it the wrong way when it counts.

FB

Comment

• Originally posted by LIcoastie View Post
                  You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. And to you previous post people can ask any questions here they want.

The U.S. Coast Guard is one of the 5 Branches that make up the US Military. And there is no such thing as a Military Agency. Falling under the DOD is not a criteria, the Congress by statute says what is and what is not a Branch of the Military. We don't just deploy under the Navy's control, we are not under the department of the Navy in any way. When Coasties are deployed at sea or at a land unit in a combat area those specific people will fall under who ever is in command in that area. Could be the Army. The USCG is not and has never been a civilian entity. And if you ever get hired you will be taught where the USCG gets it LE powers.
                  You said it much better than I was attempting to.

FB

Comment

• What are the chances of being hired after writing a letter to a NOPA for a few descripancies of petty minute actions that just needed a brief clarification and explainantion to understand (rather than "yes/no" on paper, which makes it look 'bad')... just trying to get a feel for it! I understand why a NOPA is needed and i understand everyone's situation is different, but what is your input? (directed towards current employees)

Comment

• Originally posted by 180Degrees View Post
                      I think you should be open to a little constructive criticism, the fact of the matter is that he's right. You should make it a habit of expressing yourself in person, or on a forum with some sort of proper grammar. I'm not saying you need to exhibit perfect grammar and spelling but I think you'd be surprised how often you probably use the same methods of expressing yourself in person due to the fact that you've probably developed those habits and are unaware of it.

You didn't pass the VBT for some specific reason, Sandwichman was merely pointing out a possible reason and he's giving you advice to improve yourself so that your next time around might be more successful. Whether or not that hinges on the way you carry yourself in an interview is unknown but it never hurts to improve yourself in any way you can.

Good luck next time around.
                      +1. I completely agree with you. You would be surprised how much the way you articulate sentences can have an impact on the first impressions of other people.

Comment

good...

but, Male or female if you can't do more than 25 push ups and 25 sit ups before the PT Test then something will go wrong during the academy. Dont wait until a week before the PFT to get ready. i take a PT Test (Army) every 6 months and we do PT 3 time a week so i am not worry about push ups sit ups nor a 1.5 mile run in 15 min... but if you or whoever is applying is worry about it running or push ups and sit ups then they either need to not apply or work hard and get in shape...
                        totally agree. Dont even wait a month before the pft. if you werent on a workout regimen before, you should be starting at least the day you apply. The last thing anybody would want to happen is to go through all these months/years of paperwork and testing only to fail in the academy.

Comment

• I was giving cloudbuster advice on how to pass the VBT the next time he applies, and I stand by what I said, which is now exactly what you are saying:

Originally posted by javy03 View Post
                          .. if you (whoever is applying) dont know how to separate the "hangout" talk from the business correct way to talk as an Adult then you dont need to be applying.
                          Originally posted by javy03 View Post
                          Sure it is, but I guess you didn't see the irony in my posting.

How to get the job? #1, have a solid grasp of Standard English.
                          #2 don't complain about failing the VBT in a public forum using incorrect
                          Standard English grammar or risk being made fun of by arrogant people like
                          sandwichman.

Sorry "bro", but the last time I checked, this forum is about applying for a serious job and how to get it, not about feeling la bule and how to buy your first Toyoda with your first paycheck nor about how to become a greeter at Walmart.

Otraves, tranquilate and don't take my reply too seriously. Besides, didn't you bust on each other constantly in the military?
                          Last edited by sandwichman; 05-14-2012, 06:35 PM.
                          CBP written test Miami, FL
                          11/10/2007
                          NOR letter 01/16/2008
                          VBT 4/2/2008 (passed)
                          Forms 6/2/2009 completed
                          Med exam 4/6/2009 completed
                          9/4/2009
                          Physical exam 4/6/2009 (passed)
                          drug test 5/7/2009 (passed)
                          TO 5/12/2009 (2nd one,
                          never got first)
                          qualifications completed
                          BI interview 9/30/2009
                          BI cleared/referred to TSU 10/30/2009
                          poly: Mar 2011
                          updated e-Qip & All Forms: Sep/Oct 2011
                          BI interview II: Dec 2011/Jan 2012

Comment

• Originally posted by Midwest24 View Post
                            What are the chances of being hired after writing a letter to a NOPA for a few descripancies of petty minute actions that just needed a brief clarification and explainantion to understand (rather than "yes/no" on paper, which makes it look 'bad')... just trying to get a feel for it! I understand why a NOPA is needed and i understand everyone's situation is different, but what is your input? (directed towards current employees)
                            Not a current employee, but I had to write a NoPA because of an inconsistency and at least in my case, the result was positive, they did not withdraw the offer. Just make sure that you make your point across that you're sorry for whatever you did and how you have matures since then (what positive things you've done since then) and take the blame like a man.

Comment

• Originally posted by sandwichman View Post
                              I was giving cloudbuster advice on how to pass the VBT the next time he applies, and I stand by what I said, which is now exactly what you are saying:

Sure it is, but I guess you didn't see the irony in my posting.

How to get the job? #1, have a solid grasp of Standard English.
                              #2 don't complain about failing the VBT in a public forum using incorrect
                              Standard English grammar or risk being made fun of by arrogant people like
                              sandwichman.

Sorry "bro", but the last time I checked, this forum is about applying for a serious job and how to get it, not about feeling la bule and how to buy your first Toyoda with your first paycheck nor about how to become a greeter at Walmart.

Otraves, tranquilate and don't take my reply too seriously. Besides, didn't you bust on each other constantly in the military?
                              For what it's worth it's Otra vez and tranquilizate*
                              Last edited by Javier_Zalez; 05-14-2012, 06:58 PM.

Comment

• I don't understand why so many people take things personally on this forum.

It shows a certain amount of maturity to take something for what it's worth and learn from it.

If someone says you should learn to write more properly then you probably should. It would probably benefit you in the long run. It's not like they're being racist or something. Writing takes practice just like everything else and if you practice it the wrong way then you are only hindering your own potential in life. After all, shouldn't we strive to be the best at what we do?

Then again, other people should learn to be more polite. :/
                                "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your path straight." - Proverbs 3:5,6

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13181 users online. 333 members and 12848 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X