300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hangman View Post
    Did anyone on here apply for the Northwest or Southeast regions?

The current announcement said those areas have a critical need for officers.

Does anyone know which ports in those regions have a need for officers?
    I applied for Southeast. I already had a test score from Dec 2010 (99). I was thinking of switching to SWB because I have a house in Sierra Vista, AZ. Nogales and Douglas are near there. Luckily a BPA just rented my house for a year so that pressure is off of me for the moment. I will probably keep Southeast for now. Wife wants to be near her family. I called HR and they told me that offers go out ranked by test score from 110 down to 70. Not as many offers going out for Southeast right now. Keep in mine the only way to get over 100 on test is veteran's preference so i can't see that many 105-110 scores out there. You have to have a purple heart if I remember correctly to get 10 points Vets pref.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shark View Post
      Thank you, a little about me. I have a mortgage, car and little son and I have a very good job as a System Administrator. I will be payed less that I'm getting now. But I know that CBP will give us a very good opportunity to have a secure job and opening doors. I know that it will be very hard at the beginning but I spoke with a lot of federal agents and they agreed with me, it is a sacrifice but it will pay at the end. Some people like me has a good job but without any benefit, and this is my situation.
      Just keep in mind that you have to pay for your move wherever you would accept an EOD. You have to attend pre-academy at your port (on your dime), then you go to the academy (CBP will pay for your travel to academy). It is up to you to move your family to wherever your port is.

Comment

• Originally posted by breachnclear View Post
        Is it possible to do right out of the training or do you have to complete the probationary period etc... a private message is fine or a reply. thanks again!
        From what I've read, you have to reach GS11 (Journeyman) level before you can become a K-9 officer. It takes about 4 years or so to reach that level and you have to attend an academy either in Texas or NY. Once selected you work with the canine few hours a day and after decommission many officers keep the canine in their home. Anyways that's all I know from reading forums and websites, might not be 100% accurate, but a general idea.
        MSP 1896

Comment

• Originally posted by mnewsom21 View Post
          Just keep in mind that you have to pay for your move wherever you would accept an EOD. You have to attend pre-academy at your port (on your dime), then you go to the academy (CBP will pay for your travel to academy). It is up to you to move your family to wherever your port is.
          Hummmm! Its hard to say something, I'm still think that could be a good decision be a CBPO, but the salary is scary. my family is in Miami where I'm coming from, but I am living in Pittsburgh for job. I don't know how long this is going to take but I will try to pay my debts as much I can before to say my last word. Additionally, I can't wait because this is my last opportunity because my age.
          Geo:SWB
          CBPO Exam:12/10
          TSl: 5/11
          Medical & Pft1:9/11 Passed
          Met BI:1/12
          VBT/SI:10/11 Passed
          Drug Test:04/12 Passed
          Qual:cleared 3/12
          Polygraph: Scheduled 11/23/12
          PFT2:
          EOD:

Comment

• Originally posted by IamWolf View Post
            Rooms are free?! I thought you had to pay. So crack houses and taj are both free?
            Ha, yeah the rooms are free. With cable too! WIFI is extra. Free meals 3x a day 7 days a week.

You never know they may hire you at a GS7. But even at a 5 it is doable, hard maybe, but there are more than a few people here with life's, families, and homes in places like Buffalo and Michigan that are moving to the SWB as 5's.
            CBPO
            TO - 05/08 JFK
            EOD - 12/05/2011

Comment

I meant to ask this in my last post but is there the opportunity to start off in a specialty unit in the SWB? I would like to do K-9 (which I am probably not the only one) if anyone can shed some light as to how to become apart of that team or what to look for "if/when" the time comes. Is it possible to do right out of the training or do you have to complete the probationary period etc... a private message is fine or a reply. thanks again!
              to get on K9 you will have to apply to an announcement when it is open. There will be some other types of enforcement teams that will vary in scope and size from port to port. From what I have seen you used to be able to be selected for an enforcement team. But now I believe it is done by seniority bid. It is not going to happen right after training or probation.

There is probably some others on here that should have some more info on that though.
              CBPO
              TO - 05/08 JFK
              EOD - 12/05/2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Iczer5 View Post
                How long does probation last?
                1 year
                CBPO
                TO - 05/08 JFK
                EOD - 12/05/2011

Comment

Thank you So besides being myself and going in with a customer service mentality I wonder if there's anything else I should know. I know the question has been asked many times before and I have already taken the time to search through the thread but I'm still wondering if there's something I'm missing. So far I have:

-Go in with a customer service mentality

-Be kind yet stern and use common sense

-Speak clearly and loud enough

-Stand with good posture and use good body language

-Address both interviewers by looking at both of them throughout the interview

-Wear a suit and tie

-Don't pull out your weapon

Is there anymore bullet points I should add? I got this thing down to a science! lol
                  Ahh...an excellent plan...if the goal is to greatly increase your chances of failing the
                  VBT/SI.

There are reasons why people say don't study for the VBT/SI, don't go there with pre-conceived notions, yada and etc.

Customer service mentality and don't pull your weapon are two of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shark View Post
                    Hummmm! Its hard to say something, I'm still think that could be a good decision be a CBPO, but the salary is scary. my family is in Miami where I'm coming from, but I am living in Pittsburgh for job. I don't know how long this is going to take but I will try to pay my debts as much I can before to say my last word. Additionally, I can't wait because this is my last opportunity because my age.
                    Will you be making near or over 100K in your current job within the next 5 years?

You probably will as a GS-12 CBPO...in the right port, working enough overtime, holidays and differential shifts.

Something to think about at least. It may be that a little short-term sacrifice pays off in the long-term for you and your family's situation.

Comment

• Originally posted by mnewsom21 View Post
                      I have a house in Sierra Vista, AZ.
                      I have a house in Maricopa! I live in MI right now. I applied to SWB though

Comment

• Originally posted by Get Some View Post
                        From what I've read, you have to reach GS11 (Journeyman) level before you can become a K-9 officer. It takes about 4 years or so to reach that level and you have to attend an academy either in Texas or NY. Once selected you work with the canine few hours a day and after decommission many officers keep the canine in their home. Anyways that's all I know from reading forums and websites, might not be 100% accurate, but a general idea.
                        thanks
                        CBPO
                        App - 3/12, GEO: SWB
                        Test & NORs - 4/12, TSL1/2 - 5/12, E-Qip: 6/12, Quals - GS-7, PFT1 - 6/12, Med - 7/12, VBT/SI - 7/12, BI - 12/27, DT - 12/21, TSU - 12/27/12
                        ** THE CALL 1/31/13, NOGALES, AZ | PRESIDIO,TX | LARADO, TX | COLUMBUS, NM - EOD - 3/18, Academy 4/22-8/22 **

I had to decline, if you need help msg.

NJSP
                        APP - 5/12, PEPP - 7/12, PQT - 8/12, WRITTEN - 10/12, BI - 12/12
                        PEPP II - 2/25/13 - 4/3/13
                        Medical/Pysch - 3/2, 3/3
                        Class 152 - Apr-Oct '13 (hoping)

Comment

• Originally posted by LIcoastie View Post
                          to get on K9 you will have to apply to an announcement when it is open. There will be some other types of enforcement teams that will vary in scope and size from port to port. From what I have seen you used to be able to be selected for an enforcement team. But now I believe it is done by seniority bid. It is not going to happen right after training or probation.

There is probably some others on here that should have some more info on that though.
                          thanks for the info, i saw the marine indiction unit had a job anonuncement. I will keep my eyes out, but thanks. Not trying to jump ahead because I need to "get the call" and pass everything but I just trying to get a handle on options and was of advancement.
                          CBPO
                          App - 3/12, GEO: SWB
                          Test & NORs - 4/12, TSL1/2 - 5/12, E-Qip: 6/12, Quals - GS-7, PFT1 - 6/12, Med - 7/12, VBT/SI - 7/12, BI - 12/27, DT - 12/21, TSU - 12/27/12
                          ** THE CALL 1/31/13, NOGALES, AZ | PRESIDIO,TX | LARADO, TX | COLUMBUS, NM - EOD - 3/18, Academy 4/22-8/22 **

I had to decline, if you need help msg.

NJSP
                          APP - 5/12, PEPP - 7/12, PQT - 8/12, WRITTEN - 10/12, BI - 12/12
                          PEPP II - 2/25/13 - 4/3/13
                          Medical/Pysch - 3/2, 3/3
                          Class 152 - Apr-Oct '13 (hoping)

Comment

Thank you So besides being myself and going in with a customer service mentality I wonder if there's anything else I should know. I know the question has been asked many times before and I have already taken the time to search through the thread but I'm still wondering if there's something I'm missing. So far I have:

-Go in with a customer service mentality

-Be kind yet stern and use common sense

-Speak clearly and loud enough

-Stand with good posture and use good body language

-Address both interviewers by looking at both of them throughout the interview

-Wear a suit and tie

-Don't pull out your weapon

Is there anymore bullet points I should add? I got this thing down to a science! lol

Just be yourself man. I took mine last Monday and passed. There is no science behind it ....just don't stress it and PAY ATTENTION and you will do fine. Good Luck !!

Comment

thanks for the info, i saw the marine indiction unit had a job anonuncement. I will keep my eyes out, but thanks. Not trying to jump ahead because I need to "get the call" and pass everything but I just trying to get a handle on options and was of advancement.
                              Marine Interdiction Agent is an employee of CBP Office of Air & Marine. If you are like the vast majority of us on this thread, you've applied to CBP Office of Field Operations.
                              Gek.

Comment

Marine Interdiction Agents are not CBPOs. It is a completely different job, different academy. To get that job you better have an amazing resume and know someone.
                                CBPO
                                TO - 05/08 JFK
                                EOD - 12/05/2011

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2803 users online. 165 members and 2638 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X