Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I took my test the 15th of april and no results yet...what is going on?
    "Believe half of what you see, and nothing of what you hear"

Comment

• Originally posted by Americoza View Post
      Wow,it must be very rough at the beginning, 450$ a week, i'm working a regular job and making more then this amount, i remember a wise guy who posted on this forum to think before you decided to move to SWB, now i know what he meant.
      Everyone's situation is different. I'd be ridiculously happy to receive a job with customs at the SWB! Then again I'm straight out of college and never had a job that paid more than a few bucks an hour. Also, i'm in a hurry to become independent and marry my beautiful gf already. She deserves it. (I got my VBT tomorrow btw) Pray for me
      "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your path straight." - Proverbs 3:5,6

Comment

• Originally posted by hangman View Post
        Did anyone on here apply for the Northwest or Southeast regions?

The current announcement said those areas have a critical need for officers.

Does anyone know which ports in those regions have a need for officers?
        They said the same more than 1 1/2 year ago and I am still waiting for my BI. everything cleared except BI, still waiting
        Geo:SWB
        CBPO Exam:12/10
        TSl: 5/11
        Medical & Pft1:9/11 Passed
        Met BI:1/12
        VBT/SI:10/11 Passed
        Drug Test:04/12 Passed
        Qual:cleared 3/12
        Polygraph: Scheduled 11/23/12
        PFT2:
        EOD:

Comment

• Originally posted by IamWolf View Post
          Seems like a pretty accurate guesstimate. I have a buddy who was at FLETC just a few months ago. He told me exactly that; After taxes and all benefits were deducted his paycheck was about 900 (for an entry level GS 5)
          GS-5 with rest of US adjustment will come out at about $870 after they take out deductions... That's every 2 weeks (BASE pay).
          CBPO
          Written: 08/29/2007
          EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by LIcoastie View Post
            Yeah some people will make a good amount more as well. The differentials for places like NY and San Fran are big. And then also factor in the type of health or life insurance that is elected (if any) and also TSP can change that take home pay by 100-400 every paycheck.

-Shark, also remember you will get a big pay bump 6 months after FLETC. Your first of many. And you will also be off probation, working sundays and evenings/nights (depending on the port), that alone should add 15% to your base salary minimum without doing any OT yet. That and the raise should put most people in or over the $1300 range, plus OT.

Also your room and meals are all free here. If you do not own a home or have a lot of extra expenses you can really save a lot at FLETC.
            Thank you, a little about me. I have a mortgage, car and little son and I have a very good job as a System Administrator. I will be payed less that I'm getting now. But I know that CBP will give us a very good opportunity to have a secure job and opening doors. I know that it will be very hard at the beginning but I spoke with a lot of federal agents and they agreed with me, it is a sacrifice but it will pay at the end. Some people like me has a good job but without any benefit, and this is my situation.
            PFT2:
            EOD:

Comment

• Originally posted by yoda View Post
              GS-5 with rest of US adjustment will come out at about $870 after they take out deductions... That's every 2 weeks (BASE pay).
              Thanks Yoda, now, what about like after a year, counting the FLETC, how much can I earn if I started as Grade 5? If you know somebody working OT, which could be the worse and the best scenario?

Thank you.
              PFT2:
              EOD:

Comment

Everyone's situation is different. I'd be ridiculously happy to receive a job with customs at the SWB! Then again I'm straight out of college and never had a job that paid more than a few bucks an hour. Also, i'm in a hurry to become independent and marry my beautiful gf already. She deserves it. (I got my VBT tomorrow btw) Pray for me
                Be relaxed, its not that bad, think that CBP is something that you want and you will have it. Always be your self.
                PFT2:
                EOD:

Comment

I will!!!
                  CBPO Exam:08/2/11
                  TSl 1 & 2: 11/14/11 & 11/25/11
                  Medical & Pft1:12/10/11 Passed
                  VBT/SI: 5/10/12 Passed
                  Drug Test: 7/12/12 Passed
                  Qual: (GS-7) Cleared 8/12/12
                  Poly 1 & 2: 9/26/12 & 11/8/12 Passed
                  BI: Met investigator on 12/6 Complete on 3/26/13
                  TSU: 3/28/13
                  EOD: 8/12/13 (Brownsville, TX)
                  FLETC: 9/13/13

Comment

• That's why I always say it's a very bad idea to apply to other states outside of your region. especially if you have a family, own a home ,etc...it is very expensive, and you will put yourself in so much debt before you know it. to a single person with no family,kids, mortgage, etc...850 every two weeks is a lot..and will make one hell of a savings when you finish fletc lol.

Comment

• How long does probation last?
                      Geo:Texas CBPO Exam:10/11
                      Medical & Pft1:12/22/11 Passed
                      Met BI:4/12
                      VBT/SI:01/26/12 Passed
                      Drug Test:04/26/12 Passed
                      Qual:cleared 04/12
                      PFT2:05/23/12 Passed
                      EOD:06/18/12
                      FLETC:7/16/12

Comment

• Originally posted by Shark View Post
                        Thanks Yoda, now, what about like after a year, counting the FLETC, how much can I earn if I started as Grade 5? If you know somebody working OT, which could be the worse and the best scenario?

Thank you.
                        When you get back from FLETC you still have to go through post academy training and be cleared to work on your own... this might take 1-2 months. Once cleared you'll be placed on a regular officer tour with OT open to you. Night diff pay is 15% over base, Sunday pay is 50% over base, Holiday pay is 100% over base, as OT is 100% over base. GS-5 is about $13.14/hr with rest of US adjustment. Your first year will not be great in income potential.
                        Your pay will increase every year up to GS-12 step 2-3, I advice you to look at the scales so you are more familiar with our salary. I'm sure you have the experience to qualify as a 7, so my advice is to re-qualify for a 7 now!... I applied as a 5 to give me a boost in "probabilities" of getting picked up quicker, even though I qualified for a 7, 4 years later they call me and I asked about getting the job at 7... their reply was "you accepted your TO at 5, if you want to qualify as a 7 you will have to re-apply on a new announcement"... It's not easy to get by as a 5 with a family believe me!
                        In 2 months I'll get my 7 and that's still not really enough... only thing is that later on it'll be a lot better.

There's is a wealth of information on this thread and pay has been discussed plenty of times in it... reading through might get most if not all of your questions answered.

Best of Luck!
                        CBPO
                        Written: 08/29/2007
                        EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Moeie586 View Post
                          haha you got your nor just a couple of days after me, so hopefully you get you TSL soon!!!
                          thanks, i hope so too. looking forward to it.
                          CBPO
                          App - 3/12, GEO: SWB
                          Test & NORs - 4/12, TSL1/2 - 5/12, E-Qip: 6/12, Quals - GS-7, PFT1 - 6/12, Med - 7/12, VBT/SI - 7/12, BI - 12/27, DT - 12/21, TSU - 12/27/12
                          ** THE CALL 1/31/13, NOGALES, AZ | PRESIDIO,TX | LARADO, TX | COLUMBUS, NM - EOD - 3/18, Academy 4/22-8/22 **

I had to decline, if you need help msg.

NJSP
                          APP - 5/12, PEPP - 7/12, PQT - 8/12, WRITTEN - 10/12, BI - 12/12
                          PEPP II - 2/25/13 - 4/3/13
                          Medical/Pysch - 3/2, 3/3
                          Class 152 - Apr-Oct '13 (hoping)

Comment

• I meant to ask this in my last post but is there the opportunity to start off in a specialty unit in the SWB? I would like to do K-9 (which I am probably not the only one) if anyone can shed some light as to how to become apart of that team or what to look for "if/when" the time comes. Is it possible to do right out of the training or do you have to complete the probationary period etc... a private message is fine or a reply. thanks again!
                            CBPO
                            App - 3/12, GEO: SWB
                            Test & NORs - 4/12, TSL1/2 - 5/12, E-Qip: 6/12, Quals - GS-7, PFT1 - 6/12, Med - 7/12, VBT/SI - 7/12, BI - 12/27, DT - 12/21, TSU - 12/27/12
                            ** THE CALL 1/31/13, NOGALES, AZ | PRESIDIO,TX | LARADO, TX | COLUMBUS, NM - EOD - 3/18, Academy 4/22-8/22 **

I had to decline, if you need help msg.

NJSP
                            APP - 5/12, PEPP - 7/12, PQT - 8/12, WRITTEN - 10/12, BI - 12/12
                            PEPP II - 2/25/13 - 4/3/13
                            Medical/Pysch - 3/2, 3/3
                            Class 152 - Apr-Oct '13 (hoping)

Comment

• Originally posted by LIcoastie View Post
                              Yeah some people will make a good amount more as well. The differentials for places like NY and San Fran are big. And then also factor in the type of health or life insurance that is elected (if any) and also TSP can change that take home pay by 100-400 every paycheck.

-Shark, also remember you will get a big pay bump 6 months after FLETC. Your first of many. And you will also be off probation, working sundays and evenings/nights (depending on the port), that alone should add 15% to your base salary minimum without doing any OT yet. That and the raise should put most people in or over the $1300 range, plus OT.

Also your room and meals are all free here. If you do not own a home or have a lot of extra expenses you can really save a lot at FLETC.
                              Rooms are free?! I thought you had to pay. So crack houses and taj are both free?
                              "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your path straight." - Proverbs 3:5,6

Comment

• Originally posted by Pointman8 View Post
                                I will!!!
                                Thank you So besides being myself and going in with a customer service mentality I wonder if there's anything else I should know. I know the question has been asked many times before and I have already taken the time to search through the thread but I'm still wondering if there's something I'm missing. So far I have:

-Go in with a customer service mentality

-Be kind yet stern and use common sense

-Speak clearly and loud enough

-Stand with good posture and use good body language

-Address both interviewers by looking at both of them throughout the interview

-Wear a suit and tie

-Don't pull out your weapon

Is there anymore bullet points I should add? I got this thing down to a science! lol

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7581 users online. 387 members and 7194 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X