300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Get Some View Post
    How long should I wait for a TSL for a specific geo location (West Coast) before switching to another location (SWB) for getting a TSL quicker? Guesstimates are welcome.
    Get Some, take a look of the dates of some applicants, you will notice that none CBP feedback depends of the exam date. Some people take the exam and they don't receive anything soon, but some people receive it in short time. What can we say! we need to work @ CBP HR to understand this.
    Geo:SWB
    CBPO Exam:12/10
    TSl: 5/11
    Medical & Pft1:9/11 Passed
    Met BI:1/12
    VBT/SI:10/11 Passed
    Drug Test:04/12 Passed
    Qual:cleared 3/12
    Polygraph: Scheduled 11/23/12
    PFT2:
    EOD:

Comment

• Originally posted by nonsense View Post
      you switched to SWB and got your TSL or you got a TSL for West Coast?
      Oh no, my selection for SWB was already chosen at the time I did my application

Comment

• Originally posted by Moeie586 View Post
        Well I just talked to a lady the day before I got mine and she told me for my score 86, I should receive it within 2 weeks. got it the next day.
        but we see all the time that range can vary tremendously...

if you want to switch to swb, read about it first-the past 10 or so pages talks about it in good detail off and on, its not for everyone (weather and culture wise)
        i got an 85 and have my NORs for SWB and I did not receive a TSL yet... not fair! Jk but congrats hopefully mine is not too far behind.
        CBPO
        App - 3/12, GEO: SWB
        Test & NORs - 4/12, TSL1/2 - 5/12, E-Qip: 6/12, Quals - GS-7, PFT1 - 6/12, Med - 7/12, VBT/SI - 7/12, BI - 12/27, DT - 12/21, TSU - 12/27/12
        ** THE CALL 1/31/13, NOGALES, AZ | PRESIDIO,TX | LARADO, TX | COLUMBUS, NM - EOD - 3/18, Academy 4/22-8/22 **

I had to decline, if you need help msg.

NJSP
        APP - 5/12, PEPP - 7/12, PQT - 8/12, WRITTEN - 10/12, BI - 12/12
        PEPP II - 2/25/13 - 4/3/13
        Medical/Pysch - 3/2, 3/3
        Class 152 - Apr-Oct '13 (hoping)

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
          Good luck.

I know you asked earlier about preparing ahead for the VBT/SI. How much 'studying' did you do for it?

I ask because most 'normal' people I seen that fail do so because they follow bad advice from here/the internet/elsewhere or they go way overboard preparing and strategizing.
          I took the advice of you can't study for it, just go in and respond naturally. Now saying that and experiencing what the VBT is, I have a better idea personally about how I will go about answering. I got my NOR today in the mail, they specified it was the VBT that I didn't pass. This was somewhat of a relief as I thought the SI went well.

I have more to say but don't want to violate the NDA. To everyone on the forum, good luck with the process!

Comment

• Originally posted by Waterpistola View Post
            I took the advice of you can't study for it, just go in and respond naturally. Now saying that and experiencing what the VBT is, I have a better idea personally about how I will go about answering. I got my NOR today in the mail, they specified it was the VBT that I didn't pass. This was somewhat of a relief as I thought the SI went well.

I have more to say but don't want to violate the NDA. To everyone on the forum, good luck with the process!
            Ahh...the VBT.

10 years ago there was no VBT, only an SI. Then, as an improvement and a cost-cutting measure, SI's were tossed and the VBT was implemented. Lately, both the SI and the VBT have been required. Go figure.

Anyhow, you seem to have a good head on your shoulders and the right sort of attitude. I'm guessing that this is but a mere bump in your travels to become a CBPO, assuming you still are interested in the job come next spring.

How's your current employment? Is it stable enough to carry you through the next few years?
            If it's something you're interested in, BOP might be an option for you until CBP re-opens the doors for you. BOP time would add experience, start the clock towards retirement time and pay you GL pay and they typically hire within a few months.

Comment

• Originally posted by breachnclear View Post
              i got an 85 and have my NORs for SWB and I did not receive a TSL yet... not fair! Jk but congrats hopefully mine is not too far behind.

haha you got your nor just a couple of days after me, so hopefully you get you TSL soon!!!

Comment

• Maybe a CPO could answer this question: I would like to know how much a CBP is going to earn a month while in the academy, then at the field in regular hours. Also an average with overtime. I know that depends of the location some another aspects, but I would like to know for a Grade 5. I need to know the true colors. I am a system administrator working for an excellent company but I have no benefits yet. Also I know that I will receive much less money than now, but I see CBP like a very good investment for my future and to open doors within the federal government. Thank you.
                PFT2:
                EOD:

Comment

• Originally posted by Shark View Post
                  Maybe a CPO could answer this question: I would like to know how much a CBP is going to earn a month while in the academy, then at the field in regular hours. Also an average with overtime. I know that depends of the location some another aspects, but I would like to know for a Grade 5. I need to know the true colors. I am a system administrator working for an excellent company but I have no benefits yet. Also I know that I will receive much less money than now, but I see CBP like a very good investment for my future and to open doors within the federal government. Thank you.
                  A GS5 in the academy? you will probably see take home after taxes and deductions of around $900 maybe $1000 every two weeks. After the academy it will depend on what overtime is available at your port. I have heard busy SWB ports can max out on premium pay and OT. Maybe adding $200-$500 per pay check.

Those are just guesstimates of course, but it won't be too far off that.
                  CBPO
                  TO - 05/08 JFK
                  EOD - 12/05/2011

Comment

• Thank you so much. Now I have a closer idea. It will be a big difference for me but I know that is a good decision.

Again thank you.
                    PFT2:
                    EOD:

Comment

• Did anyone on here apply for the Northwest or Southeast regions?

The current announcement said those areas have a critical need for officers.

Does anyone know which ports in those regions have a need for officers?

Comment

• Originally posted by LIcoastie View Post
                        A GS5 in the academy? you will probably see take home after taxes and deductions of around $900 maybe $1000 every two weeks. After the academy it will depend on what overtime is available at your port. I have heard busy SWB ports can max out on premium pay and OT. Maybe adding $200-$500 per pay check.

Those are just guesstimates of course, but it won't be too far off that.
                        Seems like a pretty accurate guesstimate. I have a buddy who was at FLETC just a few months ago. He told me exactly that; After taxes and all benefits were deducted his paycheck was about 900 (for an entry level GS 5)
                        "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your path straight." - Proverbs 3:5,6

Comment

• Originally posted by hangman View Post
                          Did anyone on here apply for the Northwest or Southeast regions?

They usually are not going to tell you what ports/cities, until you accept an eod. just apply to a region you would feel comfortable living no matter where you are placed.

Comment

• Originally posted by IamWolf View Post
                            Seems like a pretty accurate guesstimate. I have a buddy who was at FLETC just a few months ago. He told me exactly that; After taxes and all benefits were deducted his paycheck was about 900 (for an entry level GS 5)
                            Yeah some people will make a good amount more as well. The differentials for places like NY and San Fran are big. And then also factor in the type of health or life insurance that is elected (if any) and also TSP can change that take home pay by 100-400 every paycheck.

-Shark, also remember you will get a big pay bump 6 months after FLETC. Your first of many. And you will also be off probation, working sundays and evenings/nights (depending on the port), that alone should add 15% to your base salary minimum without doing any OT yet. That and the raise should put most people in or over the $1300 range, plus OT.

Also your room and meals are all free here. If you do not own a home or have a lot of extra expenses you can really save a lot at FLETC.
                            CBPO
                            TO - 05/08 JFK
                            EOD - 12/05/2011

Comment

• Originally posted by IamWolf View Post
                              Wow,it must be very rough at the beginning, 450$ a week, i'm working a regular job and making more then this amount, i remember a wise guy who posted on this forum to think before you decided to move to SWB, now i know what he meant.
                              Last edited by Americoza; 05-13-2012, 12:56 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by hangman View Post
                                Did anyone on here apply for the Northwest or Southeast regions?

I doubt you'll get a good answer to that question here.
                                Even if you managed to get a respectable answer, I'm not sure how much it would help you...many ports run short-staffed nearly 100% of the time and they seldom pick up new Officers.

Don't read too much into 'critical needs'. 'Critical needs' is defined by the person/office claiming it. In other words, a port or field office claiming 'critical needs' is probably looking at Officers in the field. MHC, on the other hand, deals with applicants. Their definition of 'critical needs' might well be more of a need for a broader applicant pool, not necessarily an overwhelming need for additional hires.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12759 users online. 388 members and 12371 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X