300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CMUnupe View Post
    You lose aerobic capacity after 3 days of inactivity. Perhaps maybe 2 days rest with plenty of stretching in preparation for the 200m would be better.

The thing is, this is her second chance at something that most of us are only going to get one attempt at and she missed it by 40 sec on her first try. The key is for her to get out of her comfort zone and run like she's never ran before. Maybe have someone there to yell and motivate her to push her when she wants to slow down. Now's the time to take off the ipod and get to business.

I should have specified that Shaniajam should lesson the intensity as she gets closer to the test, but not running for an entire week is one of the worst things she could do.

I'm sure she's gonna do fine, there's alot on the line.

Sitting around and not running for a week is a setup for failure and a lifetime of regret. Proper preparation prevents poor performance.
    To each his own. Sometimes when I do a full workout I can be sore for a good 5 days. I feel like about a one week rest allows for a good performance (for me at least). And many people feel the same. Many mma fighters will stop training at maximum capacity a week before the fight. If you're in good shape a week is not going to make you weak and slow.
    "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your path straight." - Proverbs 3:5,6

Comment

• Originally posted by shaniajam View Post
      im trying this tomorrow thank you for the support.

In the military we call those 30/60's or 60/120's, its exactly what CMUnupe was saying..... Run full blast for 30 seconds and then jog for 60 seconds and repeat for 30 mins. Once these start to fill like a joke move up to 60/120's where its the same thing just a longer sprint time but more jogging/cool down. I dont know how long you have before your retest but if you start these a month or 3 weeks at least before your test you should be good. I also learned from running distance in the army and sprinting in high school that you should just relax the day before and drink plenty of water and like he said pasta. Here is something a Special Forces dude told me at selection.... "If your not vomiting when you cross the finish line, You didnt give it your all! Run till you vomit and if it happens before you finish keep running".

Good Luck,
      Test -02 April 2012
      NOR-20 April 2012(101) w/ 10 vet pref
      TSL 1 & 2- 02 May 2012
      Qualifications - (Pending)
      PFT1 - 30 May 12 (passed)
      VBT & S.I. - 16 July 12 (passed)
      Drug Test - (pending)
      Medical- 08 June 12 (passed)
      B.I. - In security office
      Poly - 18 June 12 (passed)
      PFT2 -
      EOD -

Life asked Death, " Why do people Love me but hate you?" Death responded " Because you are a beautiful lie and I am the painful truth!"

Comment

• You sir said it best....... 1.5 miles without pu and su is a totally different animal then 1.5 miles after doing pu and su. Sit ups tend to wear out your hip-flexors, which in turn make your legs get worn out a lot faster then they would if you just got on a track and starting running..... It happens a lot in the Army...."but SGT I didnt fall out of the 3 mile run last week, I thought I would have passed my PT test"- PVT.....
        Test -02 April 2012
        NOR-20 April 2012(101) w/ 10 vet pref
        TSL 1 & 2- 02 May 2012
        Qualifications - (Pending)
        PFT1 - 30 May 12 (passed)
        VBT & S.I. - 16 July 12 (passed)
        Drug Test - (pending)
        Medical- 08 June 12 (passed)
        B.I. - In security office
        Poly - 18 June 12 (passed)
        PFT2 -
        EOD -

Life asked Death, " Why do people Love me but hate you?" Death responded " Because you are a beautiful lie and I am the painful truth!"

Comment

• Hi gentleman, I currently going thru the CPBO process so far my time line goes like this

Exam:July 11 (Atlanta)
          Nors:82(No Military Preference) Sep 11
          Tentative letter: Feb 12
          Physical 1: Passed March 12
          BI: turned everything in on EQ March12
          Medical: Passed March 12
          VBT: Schedule for May15, 12

I also took the BP exam on Nov 11 and got the Nors letter about a week later I got an 80, Now my question is will BP back off knowing I'm going thru the CBPO processes?? I'm asking because I haven't heard from them and I don't know if is possible if you that you can be doing the hiring process with both agencies at the same time?? I really appreciate your responses thank you!

Comment

• [QUOTE=Americoza;3043139]
            Originally posted by Drifting View Post
            If you start at GS5 step 1, in a year, you will make GS7 step 1. After another year, you will make GS9 step 1. After another year, you will make GS11 step 1. After another year, you will make GS11 step 1. When you make GS12, you will begin to get step increases, if I recall correctly, one step per year.[/QUOTE

I dont' think this was the right statement,anyway it contradicts to what is posted as the starting salary for CBP officer, if it was right the job announcment would state starting salary 27431-33979 but it says 31315-38790
            Oh? Did you look at the locality pay or just the base rates?
            Gek.

Comment

• thats true the pay start at $31,315.00
              USAJOBS - Search Jobs
              then that mean at GS-5 you start at around step 5
              so from there every year same month you go up 2 Grades same step?
              and once you hit Grade 12 you go up one step every year?

Comment

• That $27,431 pay chart is base pay only. As a practical matter, ignore it as a new hire...it'll 'never' apply to you.
                'Everyone' makes some sort of 'locality pay'. Find your area on the current pay charts.

2012 General Schedule (GS) Locality Pay Tables

Most new hires will see a progression identical to this each year:

GS-05/01
                GS-07/01
                GS-09/01
                GS-11/01
                GS-12/01
                GS-12/02
                GS-12/03
                GS-12/04

That'll cover the first few years. Steps 04 through 06 take two years to move beyond. Steps 07 through 09 take three years to move beyond.

Comment

• Originally posted by IamWolf View Post
                  To each his own. Sometimes when I do a full workout I can be sore for a good 5 days. I feel like about a one week rest allows for a good performance (for me at least). And many people feel the same. Many mma fighters will stop training at maximum capacity a week before the fight. If you're in good shape a week is not going to make you weak and slow.
                  I'm assuming you're talking about a professional mma fighter who's main job most of the time is to train. You indicate that they stop training at maximum capacity, but you want Shaniajam to stop running for a week? They're world class athletes, and she's trying to run 1.5 miles.

Shaniajam, make sure when you're trying this new workout to stay off your heels when your feet strike the ground. I you want, I will try and post a link of some video explaining this. Getting injured isn't an option.

Make sure you know the difference between a burn and pain!
                  Written Test: 3/08
                  NOR: 4/08
                  TO: 4/08
                  Medical: 4/08
                  Fitness: 6/08
                  VBT: 6/08
                  Met with investigator: 10/08
                  Received NOPA: 11/08
                  Won appeal: 3/09
                  TSU: 4/23/09 (Michigan) pulled in May for fitness
                  New fitness: 7/28/09
                  Back in TSU: 8/3/09

Comment

• Let me break it down for you. As the vacancy announcement (USAJOBS - Search Jobs) says, the starting pay is $31,315.

There are two salary tables relevant to this discussion. Table A is Salary Table 2011-GS (found at Salary Table 2011-GS). Table B is Salary Table 2011-RUS (Rest of the U.S.) (found at Salary Table 2011-RUS).

Table A shows the base salaries. GS5/5 on Table A is $31,087. This is obviously different from the starting salary on the VA. The salary on the VA is not on Table A. Table A is relevant to this discussion, but it is not relevant to the position.

Table B shows the base salaries plus locality pay for "the rest of the United States" which has the lowest locality compensation. GS5/1 on Table B is $31,315, which happens to be the same salary that is listed at the lowest starting salary on the VA.

I also draw your attention to Table B, GS7/1. The salary is $38,790 which is the top listed starting salary on the VA.

Any questions?
                    Gek.

Comment

• Originally posted by cloudbuster View Post
                      thats true the pay start at $31,315.00
                      USAJOBS - Search Jobs
                      then that mean at GS-5 you start at around step 5
                      so from there every year same month you go up 2 Grades same step?
                      and once you hit Grade 12 you go up one step every year?
                      GS-5 step 1 with Rest of US locality is $31,315.00.
                      If you start as a GS-5 then the following year from EOD date you go onto GS-7, then the following year to GS-9, then the following year to GS-11, the the following year to GS-12... The following year after hitting 12 you will get your step increase, this will happen if I'm not mistaken for your first 3 steps, then it'll be every 2-3 years for the other steps. I'm not quite certain on the time gap for those other steps, but I do know they are not every year. In theory you should be able to hit GS-12 step 8 before you retire from your 20 year career if you started as a GS-5.
                      Last edited by yoda; 04-26-2012, 11:10 PM.
                      CBPO
                      Written: 08/29/2007
                      EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Midwest24 View Post
                        First post here, I've been creeping on this site and reading everyone's post for quite sometime and want to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge of this process, anyway, I'm not sure if I overlooked the answer/educated guess to this situation: It has been 9 months since I met with my BI and I recently called IA to ask my status, they said my polygraph results were JUST received and have been sent for a review to see if I'm suitable or not suitable for hire. Roughly, does anyone know how much longer it would take, on average, for them to review the results after "just receiving the report?" I'm guessing 4 weeks to at least 5 years (slight joke to those of you that lack sarcasm or humor), just by estimating on how the G works.
                        Also, another questions is I applied for AZ (I guess anywhere in the state where they need it) how is the living situation down there (besides boring and isolated), are the officers cool with one another, do they live in close communities with each other and look out for one another? How is the camaraderie at the ports there (for the most part), Do the officers get along well on the job also after work? I'm a social person and I'm just wondering how ppl treat each other on and off duty, considering a lot of us are moving along the border towns from across the US, and I just want to know if the officers/BPA kind of "stick together" with the living conditions and hanging out, if you will? If you guys don't know no big deal, I guess that's what the EOD pre-academy is also there for I know this isn't my main concern, but it is a reality that will occur. It's all well and good to work, but what you going to do after work or on your days off? You have to make the best of it, I suppose.
                        Hey Midwest, I've never been to AZ but that's my Geo and I've done some research and you don't have to live in the same town as the port. Nogales is pretty close to Tuscon(1 hour drive) I heard most CBPO live there, San Luis is a half hour from Yuma which is a pretty big city. Douglas also has a city nearby (can't remember the name of the city). So you don't have to live in the boondocks. I'm from NY and I'm well aware that even though these ports have bigger city's close by that it still will be a huge change for me. I can't help you with wait time for poly results, I've heard if you get no response then that's a good thing. I think though if all goes well with your poly then you will probably be given an interim clearance and be contacted soon. Which is good news for you! If you dont mind what's your timeline like? You had to have tested awhile back if you have AZ as your geo and not the whole SWB.
                        NYPD Exam: 3310 9/12
                        Score:9X.XX%
                        List#2XX 5/2013

NCPD Exam: 2000 12/12

PAPD Exam: 6/13 Qualified

Comment

I'm assuming you're talking about a professional mma fighter who's main job most of the time is to train. You indicate that they stop training at maximum capacity, but you want Shaniajam to stop running for a week? They're world class athletes, and she's trying to run 1.5 miles.

Shaniajam, make sure when you're trying this new workout to stay off your heels when your feet strike the ground. I you want, I will try and post a link of some video explaining this. Getting injured isn't an option.

post the video when you can and i will surely try to follow it...come to think of it, it was more pain than burn i couldnt even put my foot on the pedal to drive after that. i had to wait a little. I really feel like i need someone to help, but i am not waiting on it, I just think if i continue to run, it will come. Thanks guys for all of your support. i will let you know how tomorrow goes.
                          CBPO

GEO: Brownsville, TX
                          Test: 12/2010
                          NOR: 1/2011 (89%-no vet pref.)
                          TO: 6/7/2011
                          PreEmploy Forms: 6/12/2011 (complete)
                          Equip: 6/13/2011
                          FT1: 6/27/2011 (Passed))
                          VBT / SI: 7/11/11 (Passed)
                          BI: 9/13/11 (passed)
                          Medical: 7/15/2011 (cleared)
                          Poly: 8/9/2011(passed)
                          Drug Test: 9/8/2011(passed)
                          got the call: 9/20/2011
                          PFT2: 9/30/2011 (failed run by 40 seconds)
                          NEW PFT2: 05/08/2012
                          New EOD: 05/21/2012

ISO (Immigration Services Officer)

Test: 8/20/2011 (passed)

Comment

Even amateur fighters do the same. Anyway, I'm done speaking about the subject. It was my honest opinion. I'm not an expert in exercise; or nutrition for that matter. Only stating what works best for me. If I'm sore as ever I'm not gonna wait only two days for a huge fitness exam. Sometimes it takes me a good 4 or 5 days to heal properly. Again, that's me. You or Shaniajam may feel differently. That's fine. Do whatever works best for you.
                            "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your path straight." - Proverbs 3:5,6

Comment

• Originally posted by Sprawl23 View Post
                              Hi gentleman, I currently going thru the CPBO process so far my time line goes like this

Exam:July 11 (Atlanta)
                              Nors:82(No Military Preference) Sep 11
                              Tentative letter: Feb 12
                              Physical 1: Passed March 12
                              BI: turned everything in on EQ March12
                              Medical: Passed March 12
                              VBT: Schedule for May15, 12

I also took the BP exam on Nov 11 and got the Nors letter about a week later I got an 80, Now my question is will BP back off knowing I'm going thru the CBPO processes?? I'm asking because I haven't heard from them and I don't know if is possible if you that you can be doing the hiring process with both agencies at the same time?? I really appreciate your responses thank you!
                              What region did you apply for? Your timeline is very similar to mine. (I got the VBT on May 14.)

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but there are many people going through the process that applied for both CBPO and BPA. It doesn't seem to interfere at all...

Comment

• Anyone have a similar timeline to mine? Personal message me please!

Test: 9/1/11
                                NOR: 9/29/11
                                SWB Vacancy announcement email: 12/20/11
                                Actual change to SWB: 12/29/11
                                TO: 2/16/12
                                Pre-employment forms received by MHC: 2/22/12
                                Fitness test: 3/14/12
                                TSL sent by: 3/29/12
                                Medical: 3/28/12
                                VBT/SI: 5/14/12

In CASS I have 3 complete (Fitness, medical, and pre-employment forms) and 4 to go (Qualifications, VBT/SI, drug-screening, and BI) Can't wait to see all completes

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7773 users online. 359 members and 7414 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X