300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moeie586 View Post
    I watch these forums a lot. I currently work for DHS, trying to transfer to CBP. But I do have to comment on something I see A LOT!! I understand that a lot of people really want to gt into CBP, but please be careful with just choosing the SWB as a quick way to get into the job. If you have never been there, you have noooo idea what kind of lifestyle you are going to have to adapt to, its a WHOLE NEW WORLD. Hence why they are always hiring, the turnover rate for the SWB is so high because people get down there and can't handle it. The station you choose, is where you have to be for a mandatory of 2-3 years. On top of all that, a lot of people forget to factor in relocation expenses. It costs thousands to get your things from somewhere like Michigan to Arizona.

I know a lot of people are looking for a fast way to get into CBP, we all are, but please really think about where you will be happy working in the long run....the SWB is no walk in the park, especially if you get a location like Douglas, AZ or Sells, AZ where the closest "semi big city" is like 60 miles away.... lol. just a heads up people.
    Good luck!
    +1!! I am from AZ. if anyone has any questions about life style ,etc. or needs info Ill be glad to help! But MOEIE is right. I love AZ but if you are coming from no where near SW. It can be a big change.
    CBP EXAM: 08/08/11 SWB PREF
    NOR: 08/30/11
    TSL1: 12/12/11
    MEDICAL/FITNESS: 01/09/12
    VBT/SI: 02/06/12-Results 02/17/12 pass
    TSL2: 02/17/12
    BI: in security office 03/06/12
    QUALIFICATIONS: completed 03/27/12 (5)
    DRUG TEST: PENDING

------------------
    BP EXAM: 10/07/11 SWB
    NOR: 10/21/11

Comment

• Guys, Lang,
      I just got a call from IA....... Pending Poly. I thought I was going to be more nervous if/when I got the news . But I am not. Just giving you guys a heads up .I think most of us waiting to be contacted by a BI are pending polys. If any one has taken the Poly, can I get some basic info on what to expect please?
      CBP EXAM: 08/08/11 SWB PREF
      NOR: 08/30/11
      TSL1: 12/12/11
      MEDICAL/FITNESS: 01/09/12
      VBT/SI: 02/06/12-Results 02/17/12 pass
      TSL2: 02/17/12
      BI: in security office 03/06/12
      QUALIFICATIONS: completed 03/27/12 (5)
      DRUG TEST: PENDING

------------------
      BP EXAM: 10/07/11 SWB
      NOR: 10/21/11

Comment

• Originally posted by lang2 View Post
        Well, by the end, my total wait time will be 2-1/2 to 3 years, I'm not sure if it's moving quicker yet or not. It took me a year and a month to get my first TSL after taking the exam. Since then, it has been moving quickly (knock on wood). I want to work at the Cincinnati airport and the DHL plant there recently announced huge expansion plans, which can only mean good things for Customs hopefuls. My friends who are CBPOs work primarily at DHL.

Which part of the Midwest are you hoping to land? One of my friends who works for CBP looked at the list and said I have a really good shot at Cincy, that he could really only see them sending me to Indianapolis or Lousiville, MAYBE Chicago if they're desperate at that time. I'm not sure how much he actually knows, but since he travels around from port to port all the time, he has an idea of who needs people.

If you're at a place where you can pack up and go, then of course your chance is better, but for me, I know it will be worth the wait to be closer to my family. Some can have their cake and eat it too!

My friend's supervisor did my SI and told them that he couldn't believe I got picked for the Midwest because all of the interviews he has done have been for the SWB. So, take that for what it's worth too. Things are changing though, and it seems for the better.
        The port has no clue about hiring, they're notified by MHC when someone gets picked up for such port. The needs for a certain port and the agency's needs are not one in the same. Keep that in mind and be patient...
        CBPO
        Written: 08/29/2007
        EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by Tiki10 View Post
          It actually just cleared this morning. I hope both of you clear soon, I will be crossing my fingers for you guys and everyone here. :-) I had to watch someone I tested with get the call before me and I gotta say that was really hard. I just kept holding on to the faith, left a few messages with IA (never got a call back though) and just tried to forget about it all really. Before I knew it, "The Call" came.

Tiki10,

Quick question,

I took the exam about the same time as you. Met w/ my BI in mid-march. No word on Drug Test yet..all greens except drug test and BI. How long was it from when u met with the BI investigator until ur BI clearned in CASS. Also, (I know i'm fairly early in the BI process) but when do u think would be a prudent time to call IA and check up on it?

Thanks
          CPB OFFICER
          GEO – SW Border
          Exam - 08/13/2011
          TSL – 09/11/2011
          Medical – 09/28/2011
          PFT 1 – 11/07/2011
          VBT-SI – 12/12/2011
          Additional Medical Information, Personal Doctor Visits 12/2011-01/2012
          BI Forms Submitted - 01/09/2012
          Poly – 02/28/2012 (worst day ever)
          Met with BI – 03/24/2012
          BI Cleared in CASS – 06/12/2012
          Drug Test – 06/20/2012
          EOD – 07/30/2012, FLETC 08/31/12 - 01/15/13
          PFT 2 –

Comment

• Got an email this morning saying Eqip forms didn't upload correctly, so i was given the forms to print/ sign and send back to IA.

IA- internal affairs?

(person who emailed me had this in their sig "Technical and Administrative Customer Support(TACS) Branch.")

so confused on how many people are handling background info.
            tested in San Diego- SWB, 10/11
            NOR-11/11
            TSL- 11/17/11
            pft1- 12/8/11
            Pre-E Forms-completed 3/12
            Qual- completed 3/12
            Medical Ex- completed 4/12
            S I-completed 3/12
            Drug Screening- completed 6/7/12
            Background Investigation- met with BI 6/5/13
            Fitness- completed 12/12

EOD- 9/9/13 SYS
            Fletc- 10-15-13, class 338
            new fletc date- 11-18-13

SYS CBPO 4-1-2014

Comment

• Originally posted by Sick of being a Army Grunt View Post
              I've been lurking on this site for a few weeks now. Trying to find the in and outs of this hiring process. I tested in April and got my results back (91) and faxed in all the required documents. I had to email them to change my region from east Texas (which I thought was considered SWB) to the Southwest Border. The lady from HRC told me that it would actually help my chances and speed things up. I was wondering how long should it take to recieve my TSL??? Im a few months from getting out of the army and Im starting to worry that I might have to get a job at like walmart until I get thru the process... Can anyone help me before I start to freak out, I have seen a lot of loooooonnnnnnnnggggg time lines posted on here.
              I tested in Dec 2010. I got 95 and changed to Laredo (Southwest region). I am still waiting. I hope you do not have to wait as much as I am waiting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mole177 View Post
                Got an email this morning saying Eqip forms didn't upload correctly, so i was given the forms to print/ sign and send back to IA.

IA- internal affairs?

(person who emailed me had this in their sig "Technical and Administrative Customer Support(TACS) Branch.")

so confused on how many people are handling background info.
                The same issue happend to me. They sent back my sf86 form because for some reason I didn't let them know that I have a High school diploma in section 12. Even though that I am almost done with my bachelor degree they require that you especify everything. I have to fix the issue and released back to them last night. I hope this doesn't delay the process even more.
                What is you time line?
                CBPO

GOE SWB
                Wrtten Test: 2011/OCT/11
                NOR: 2011/OCT/21
                PFT1/MED: 2011/DEC/02 PASS
                VBT/SI: 2012/JAN/23 PASS
                Qualifications: Cleared(7)
                Drug Test: 2012/MAY/18 PASS
                BI : In security Office(I met the BI in Jan 2013)
                Polygraph: 2012/DEC/14
                PFT2: ????
                EOD: ?????

Comment

• Originally posted by cmlmt5 View Post
                  Tiki10,

Quick question,

I took the exam about the same time as you. Met w/ my BI in mid-march. No word on Drug Test yet..all greens except drug test and BI. How long was it from when u met with the BI investigator until ur BI clearned in CASS. Also, (I know i'm fairly early in the BI process) but when do u think would be a prudent time to call IA and check up on it?

Thanks

I met with my background investigator in October 2011. I didn't start calling IA until about a month ago. Before that, as far as contacting to check status, I checked with HR in December and they told me it will be approximately six months for backgrounds to clear and that they don't know anything until IA send them info.

As far as you calling, I'm not sure. I guess it wouldn't hurt, but I don't have experience calling IA that early in the process. I was so hesitant to call cuz I didn't want to bug, hence I only made two calls. Maybe someone else can chime in about checking on their background that early?
                  Test - 08/01/11
                  NOR- 08/30/11 (92)
                  TSL1- 9/21/11
                  TSL2 - 9/21/11
                  Qualifications - GS-7
                  PFT1 - 9/23/11
                  VBT & S.I. - 10/17/11
                  Drug Test - 11/3/11 (approximately)
                  B.I. - Cleared 4/17/12
                  PFT2 - 5/4/12
                  EOD - 5/29/12 - San Ysidro, CA

Comment

• Originally posted by Tiki10 View Post
                    I met with my background investigator in October 2011. I didn't start calling IA until about a month ago. Before that, as far as contacting to check status, I checked with HR in December and they told me it will be approximately six months for backgrounds to clear and that they don't know anything until IA send them info.

As far as you calling, I'm not sure. I guess it wouldn't hurt, but I don't have experience calling IA that early in the process. I was so hesitant to call cuz I didn't want to bug, hence I only made two calls. Maybe someone else can chime in about checking on their background that early?
                    I called in three weeks from when i turned in my E-quip this is how they found out that there was something that the E-quip had been flagged for and i needed to resubmit. That same day i called I recevied notice from MHC that the reason they had flagged it wasnt correct and he was sending it back. so I called IA a week later to make sure that they had sent it back and that there was nothing wrong with it anymore. They said there was nothing wrong. I received a letter from them stating that they needed more info about a week later so I sent it in. called three days later to make sure it was there. waitied 3 weeks and called to see where it's at and they said that it is being reviewed. So although I agree with the fact that maybe calling too much can bug them. Thru my specific hiring process it is not until I call them that I find that something that could have been fixed weeks ago is not becuase I did not call. So i would say call just to be on the safe side. It is because of all the mistakes that my process has taken this long. other wise I believe I would already have a determination.

Comment

• Originally posted by yoda View Post
                      The port has no clue about hiring, they're notified by MHC when someone gets picked up for such port. The needs for a certain port and the agency's needs are not one in the same. Keep that in mind and be patient...
                      Yes, I take what he says with a grain of salt, but I do hope he's right!
                      GEO: Midwest
                      Written Exam: 12/10/10
                      NOR: 1/25/11, score 93 no vet pref
                      TO/TSL: 1/9/12
                      VBT & SI: 2/8/12 (cleared CASS 3/27/12)
                      PFT1: 2/9/12 (cleared CASS 2/15/12)
                      Medical: 2/14/12, cleared CASS 3/6/12
                      BI: IN SECURITY OFFICE
                      Pre-employment forms: cleared CASS 4/9/12
                      Qualified GS-7 (received letter 4/9/12, cleared on CASS 4/12/12)
                      Polygraph: 5/11/12
                      Drug test: 5/24/12, cleared CASS 5/31/12
                      Met with BI: 7/27/12
                      Called: 8/24/12, Chicago
                      PFT2: 9/4/12
                      EOD: 9/24/12
                      FLETC: 10/31-3/15

Comment

• I'm new to this, congrats to all who have gotten the call!!! Been watching the forum for about a month now. I'm glad to say that I've learned a lot about the hiring process through here.
                        Can anyone tell me how I set up my signature/timeline?
                        Geo - SWB
                        Test - 07/27/2011
                        NOR- 08/29/2011 (94 w/o vet. Pref.)
                        TSL1- 02/16/2012
                        TSL2 - 03/15/2012
                        Pre-employment forms - cleared 05/22/2012
                        Qualifications- cleared 05/22/2012
                        Medical - 03/29/2012 (Passed)
                        PFT1 - 03/20/2012 (Passed)
                        VBT & S.I. - 05/08/2012 (Passed)
                        Drug Test - Pending
                        B.I. - in security office

Comment

• I uploaded all my docs a couple of weeks ago. will I get a tsl soon? I picked southeast region

Comment

• Does anyone know if the same vision standards (20/40 and 20/30 or 20/100 uncorrected) apply for someone who wears soft contacts? I've seen 2 standards (glasses and contacts) at other departments so I'm just wondering....
                            Originally posted by RSGSRT
                            We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                            Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

• Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
                              Does anyone know if the same vision standards (20/40 and 20/30 or 20/100 uncorrected) apply for someone who wears soft contacts? I've seen 2 standards (glasses and contacts) at other departments so I'm just wondering....
                              It's the same...IT'S GOTTA BE!

Comment

• Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
                                Does anyone know if the same vision standards (20/40 and 20/30 or 20/100 uncorrected) apply for someone who wears soft contacts? I've seen 2 standards (glasses and contacts) at other departments so I'm just wondering....
                                It is my understanding that CBP doesn't have a separate standard for people that were soft contacts; I had Lasik just for that reason.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8469 users online. 215 members and 8254 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X