Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Locke03 View Post
    A normal workout day for me consists of this:
    Treadmill – height setting set to 1, speed 6.5 to 7 (I usually finish my 1.5 in around 11.30 to 12), I usually bumb the speed up at the end to around 8.

Ladder pushups – if you’re not familiar with these it goes something like this. Start with a set of pushups then rest for 60 seconds then continue on. I use an app from rittr labs off the android market called push ups. My sets are usually something like this:
    14,rest,13,rest,15,rest,13,rest,13,rest,12 = 80 push ups total.

Ladder sit-ups – same thing here as the push ups except the rest is 90 seconds and the quantity is higher; this is also an app from rittr labs called sit ups. My sets again look something like this:

22, rest, 22, rest, 26, rest, 22, rest, 22, 18 = 132 sit ups

I usually do the workout you see above 3 to 4 times a week.

I also incorporate at least two times a week an Insanity workout, these by far are the best cardio workouts I have ever done I love them and highly recommend them if cardio is something you want to improve.

If I do an insanity workout I usually do it in the morning and then my cardio workout in the evening (we use to call those 2 a day’s back in high school football)

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fit...ms/insanity.do

For my other days I lift weights with light cardio; on these days my cardio is usually a 45 min jog or elliptical machine. I usually only take 1 day off a week from all my workouts but sometimes due to life happening I might miss two days a week in the gym.
    Thanks for the detailed information. Sounds like a good workout! I do have the insanity videos and they are intense but I want something different. Recently I have just consentrated on running, and I will try your pushup and sit-up method to see how it works for me. Thanks again
    CBP EXAM: 08/08/11 SWB PREF
    NOR: 08/30/11
    TSL1: 12/12/11
    MEDICAL/FITNESS: 01/09/12
    VBT/SI: 02/06/12-Results 02/17/12 pass
    TSL2: 02/17/12
    BI: in security office 03/06/12
    QUALIFICATIONS: completed 03/27/12 (5)
    DRUG TEST: PENDING

------------------
    BP EXAM: 10/07/11 SWB
    NOR: 10/21/11

Comment

• Originally posted by dadarknight06 View Post
      Thanks for the detailed information. Sounds like a good workout! I do have the insanity videos and they are intense but I want something different. Recently I have just consentrated on running, and I will try your pushup and sit-up method to see how it works for me. Thanks again
      I’ve never been a fast runner, the fastest I ever did 1.5 miles was 10:30, but I have found that for improving speed treadmills are the way to go. They force you to run at paces you may not be comfortable with and that will make you run faster, on the other hand though if you’re looking for improved endurance get off the treadmill and head outside. Just my thoughts.

Comment

• Originally posted by drorez View Post
        I'm a CBPO, been in for 10 years and love my job. Take it from me, CBP has some really great opportunities. Yes, we have issues, but I would not jump to another agency, even for a gs13. I've been recruited by BIS and ICE and I'm not leaving. I love my job and not alot of people can say that.
        Thanks for sharing this! It's great to hear from current CBPOs about their experiences and that you all enjoy your work! I can't wait to have the same sense of pride one day! For now, Border Wars re-runs will have to do :-)
        GEO: Midwest
        Written Exam: 12/10/10
        NOR: 1/25/11, score 93 no vet pref
        TO/TSL: 1/9/12
        VBT & SI: 2/8/12 (cleared CASS 3/27/12)
        PFT1: 2/9/12 (cleared CASS 2/15/12)
        Medical: 2/14/12, cleared CASS 3/6/12
        BI: IN SECURITY OFFICE
        Pre-employment forms: cleared CASS 4/9/12
        Qualified GS-7 (received letter 4/9/12, cleared on CASS 4/12/12)
        Polygraph: 5/11/12
        Drug test: 5/24/12, cleared CASS 5/31/12
        Met with BI: 7/27/12
        Called: 8/24/12, Chicago
        PFT2: 9/4/12
        EOD: 9/24/12
        FLETC: 10/31-3/15

Comment

I’ve never been a fast runner, the fastest I ever did 1.5 miles was 10:30, but I have found that for improving speed treadmills are the way to go. They force you to run at paces you may not be comfortable with and that will make you run faster, on the other hand though if you’re looking for improved endurance get off the treadmill and head outside. Just my thoughts.
          if you are looking to knock down a couple of seconds or minutes, need to do sprints, i get ready for my PT Test (Army) like that, usually do 1/4 miles sprints i try to do a 1/4 mile in at least 1:30, then i will walk for 1/4 mile and do the samething for 2 miles.

do that Monday, Weds, and Fri, and tue and thurs do jogs stopping every 1/4 to do at least 25 push ups and 25 sit ups or crunches if youare by ur self. do that for a month straigh resting in the weekends and you will be good
          CBPO:
          GEO Pref: SWB
          App Date: 19 MAR 2012
          Written Exam: 30 MAR 2012
          NOR: 5 APR 2012 Rating 90 w/VP
          TSL submitted: 27 APR 2012
          E-Qip submitted: 1 May 2012
          PFT1: 30 May 2012 Pass
          Med:11 June 2012
          BI: In Security Office
          VBT/SI: Pending
          Drug Test: Pending
          Referred to Schedule EOD: Pending
          Call Rec: Pending
          PFT2: Pending
          EOD: Pending
          FLETC: Pending

Comment

• Originally posted by javy03 View Post
            if you are looking to knock down a couple of seconds or minutes, need to do sprints, i get ready for my PT Test (Army) like that, usually do 1/4 miles sprints i try to do a 1/4 mile in at least 1:30, then i will walk for 1/4 mile and do the samething for 2 miles.

do that Monday, Weds, and Fri, and tue and thurs do jogs stopping every 1/4 to do at least 25 push ups and 25 sit ups or crunches if youare by ur self. do that for a month straigh resting in the weekends and you will be good
            Yeh, I really need to get sprints in there somewhere I'm just such a gym rat I don't usually train outside. Thanks for the info.

Comment

I dont know why and it might be because of what you said that on a treadmill, you are forced to keep running even if you are tired VS outside . I normally run the 1.5 at the gym at 10 mins and change but when I am outside I do 13 or 14 min ... So I think it has to do with what you said. Good luck on the PFT2

------------------

Comment

• Originally posted by 383897 View Post
                Fellas I'm new to this thread. I was wondering how hard this test is. I applied today and it gave me a schedule test date three weeks from now. This is kind of scary. Is it all basic questions? Is it harder then Border Patrol? Thanks for your time.
                I like many of us took the Border patrol exam and I thought the BP one was much easier. I would review the entire study guide and go over it until you completely understand the material . I also saw a book at barns and nobles (book store) that was very informative and it had a practice cbp test with similar questions and the same amount of questions in the exam. Good luck !

------------------

Comment

• Got a letter in the mail today saying I qualified GS-7!! WOO HOO! Now just waiting on that background investigator to call! Let's get this show on the road!!
                  GEO: Midwest
                  Written Exam: 12/10/10
                  NOR: 1/25/11, score 93 no vet pref
                  TO/TSL: 1/9/12
                  VBT & SI: 2/8/12 (cleared CASS 3/27/12)
                  PFT1: 2/9/12 (cleared CASS 2/15/12)
                  Medical: 2/14/12, cleared CASS 3/6/12
                  BI: IN SECURITY OFFICE
                  Pre-employment forms: cleared CASS 4/9/12
                  Qualified GS-7 (received letter 4/9/12, cleared on CASS 4/12/12)
                  Polygraph: 5/11/12
                  Drug test: 5/24/12, cleared CASS 5/31/12
                  Met with BI: 7/27/12
                  Called: 8/24/12, Chicago
                  PFT2: 9/4/12
                  EOD: 9/24/12
                  FLETC: 10/31-3/15

Comment

I dont know why and it might be because of what you said that on a treadmill, you are forced to keep running even if you are tired VS outside . I normally run the 1.5 at the gym at 10 mins and change but when I am outside I do 13 or 14 min ... So I think it has to do with what you said. Good luck on the PFT2
                    Strangely my run times always seem to be a little faster outside but I think it has to do with my strides being a little longer when I run outside, thanks for the encouragement
                    Last edited by Locke03; 04-09-2012, 05:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lang2 View Post
                      Got a letter in the mail today saying I qualified GS-7!! WOO HOO! Now just waiting on that background investigator to call! Let's get this show on the road!!
                      Lang2. I think we are on the same boat. I submitted my eqip 02/22/12 and I still havent received the call from the BI . Let us know if you hear anything from the investigator.

------------------

Comment

• I've sent an email and left a message to the hiring center to attempt to change my Geo pref. Are they pretty good about responding to this sort of things or should I continue to call until I have spoken with someone?
                        CBPO:
                        Test Date: 3/26/2012
                        NOR: 4/6/2012 (96 with vet points) West Coast
                        NOR 2: 4/10/2012 Changed to SWB
                        TSL: 4/27/2012
                        PFT 1: 5/24/2012 (Cleared)
                        Medical: 6/12/2012 (Cleared 8/14/12)
                        VBT/SI: 6/25/2012 (Cleared)
                        Quals: 8/16/2012 (GS-5)
                        Poly: 4/30/2013

Comment

Instead of push ups, I work chest/triceps/shoulders twice a week. Four sets of flat bench, four sets of incline, four sets of decline (number of reps in each is usually 12, 10, 8, 6 doing the most weight with the least reps). After the bench, I'll do 3 sets of seated flies on one of those nautilus type machines (the one in which you form a 90 degree angle with each of your arms against the pads, and bring our elbows in front of you). For shoulders, I'm kinda lazy and just work the front ones. I'll use one of the smith machines that has the pulleys in it and whose frame is tilted a little. I'll put a flat bench in the middle of it, sit on the bench, put 25 lbs on each side, and try to do 3 sets with 10-12 reps, in each, bringing the bar down to the base of my neck or upper chest. For triceps, I'll just do pull downs with the rope on one of the cables, arms parallel with ground. Weight 1st rep, 60, 70, 80, 90 lbs with no set number of reps, basically til exhaustion with about a minute rest between each (with chest/shoulders I like to wait 2 min between sets).

I used to do crunches wedging my feet/toes under the bottom of one of the preacher curl machines, or whatever has enough clearance to do that with. Since about November, I've been doing my old ab routine of 4-5 sets of 25 reps on the ab bench 3x a week. (similar bench as the one on the decline chest bench without the part that holds the bar and the angle is adjustable on the ab one). Sometimes I'll get lazy with my reps and do 25, 25, 30, 20, or whatever way I get an outcome of 100, other times, when I have more energy and do whatever number equals 110, 120 reps (sometimes 30, 30, 30, 20 or 30, 30, 30, 30). With abs, same thing about a 1-2 minute rest between sets. I try not to use upper legs at all and try to do all the work with my actual abs.

Between the stuff listed above, that ends up translating roughly to PFT2 for me.

Running.. eh. Yeah. Need to start again. Finally got my road bike's chain cleaned, so I'll start riding again for extra cardio between running days. Was doing 14 miles in 45 minutes on the bicycle, and the 1.5 mile run in 13:00 something with my dog beside me. During runs, I like to whistle/hum the beginning of Eye of the Tiger and found that it helps tremendously.
                          Last edited by sandwichman; 04-09-2012, 06:11 PM.
                          CBP written test Miami, FL
                          11/10/2007
                          NOR letter 01/16/2008
                          VBT 4/2/2008 (passed)
                          Forms 6/2/2009 completed
                          Med exam 4/6/2009 completed
                          9/4/2009
                          Physical exam 4/6/2009 (passed)
                          drug test 5/7/2009 (passed)
                          TO 5/12/2009 (2nd one,
                          never got first)
                          qualifications completed
                          BI interview 9/30/2009
                          BI cleared/referred to TSU 10/30/2009
                          poly: Mar 2011
                          updated e-Qip & All Forms: Sep/Oct 2011
                          BI interview II: Dec 2011/Jan 2012

Comment

• Does anyone know how long the medical fitness s good for? when do they expire?

Anyone know when BI expires?

thanks

Comment

• Got my Monday night optimism, hopefully not followed by Tuesday morning disappointment haha. Let's see if my BI gets the green check mañana. All to often though do I find the Tuesday morning disappointment. Haha
                              NYPD Exam: 3310 9/12
                              Score:9X.XX%
                              List#2XX 5/2013

NCPD Exam: 2000 12/12

PAPD Exam: 6/13 Qualified

Comment

• deleted...
                                Last edited by davidB.; 04-13-2012, 11:59 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7547 users online. 260 members and 7287 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X