300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Saladine View Post
    Yes, I also heard that they are putting in bunk beds.
    No bunk beds, unless they are dubbling up the crack houses. The Taj is doubling up a bunch of rooms but they are both regular beds. The room orientation is wack. So if your going to be in that kind of room, plan on spending A LOT of time at the G Bar.

For you future FLETC warriors,

Crack Houses = Old Dorms
    Taj = New Dorms (AKA Leased Hotel)
    G Bar = Government Bar

Comment

• edited delete delete delete delete delete
      Last edited by tj86; 08-16-2008, 08:24 PM. Reason: CBP not cba

Comment

• What is a CBA?

Comment

• sorry CBP not cba my error, i just edited my previous post.

Comment

• Has anyone attended fletc over the holiday season? How is the holiday schedule at fletc? Since christmas day falls on thursday the 25th, does that mean that we will only have that one day off since that friday isnt a holiday? or would they give us that thursday and friday off for those that would try to fly back home for the holidays? Same goes for new years.

Comment

Last edited by tigers2007; 04-17-2017, 08:10 PM.

Comment

• I understand that CBPO's are required to go to Spanish language training depending on their duty station. However, can a CBPO opt or request to go to this training just for the heck of it.. or do you have to be told to go?

Comment

• Thank you very much for the write up!

Originally posted by tigers2007 View Post
                  Hey guys, here is a current update of conditions. I just started recently at FLETC after 4 weeks at the port. The following will be long but as detailed as I would want it to be if I was pre-FLETC.

The room situation might be evened out between the "crackhouse" dorms problems and the Taj "hotel style" dorms new change. I'm at the Taj and have a roommate for a room that was designed for one person. At first I was almost violent to be part of this new deal but I quickly got used to it. The benefits are outweighing my original negative concerns. It is nice to have someone that will make sure that you're out of bed if you're not a morning person. Plus I think its bringing people together faster. It’s almost reminiscent of college dorms even here at the Taj since some of us keep our doors jammed open. Getting ready in the morning isn't too much of a problem since the toilet and shower is in a closed room with the sink/mirror outside. If all of those were in the same room that would have been an issue. Otherwise, the Taj dorms are very clean; rumor has it that this was originally a hotel? I hate bugs and I have yet to find any in here. There is no wireless internet at the Taj, you will have to drive to the Student Center to use it (go inside or chill in your car) or leave the FLETC campus to find it. I am using EVDO highspeed wireless internet tethered from my Sprint cellphone that is sitting by the window as I type this on my bed. Cellphone service is almost non-existant from the rooms unless you're near the window. A real PITA for my roommate as he must stand and talk to his wife while I try to rest in my bed. I believe Sprint, Verizon, and Alltel do share some radio towers as both providers utilized the same technology. I don't think the GSM providers are having good luck around here (T-mobile, AT&T, etc.). Contact your provider and see if you can use your phone as a modem and set everything up before you come here.

The food here isn't bad as some people say. They have a great variety that can't be beat. I still don't understand the running FLETC joke about the chicken. Every instructor that gets onto the subject of food takes time to make fun of the chicken. The chicken here is fine. You will be fed 3 squares 7 days a week. Just beware - you can GAIN weight here.

Getting around kind of sucks. No argument here -- bring a bicycle period. Buses will fill up in the morning too. If you're at the computer lab and need to get home at the end of the school day, you will have to take a bus from there to the chow hall and then catch one from there to the dorm. I can't stand the 20 minute travel home since they don't turn on the A/C in some of the buses. My roomie rides his bike and is home within minute. Also, get used to sweating if you're from the north. It is hot as HELL here with crazy humidity. I check my regular weather info source and I love how they skip the 7 day forecast and just put "Tuesday through Tuesday: mostly cloudy with a 30% chance of rain". They will issue you a hoodless jacket but don't forget to bring a personal one for after class hours. I bought one of those small umbrellas too that I keep in my tote bag. This place is wierd - it will rain like hell, sun will break out for a few minutes and then it will be hot and cloudy (the repeat the cycle). I have been caught many times already getting soaked. At this point I don't even care. I just want to get to class on time.

For those not in shape (like myself), you must get started today. Even if you leave for FLETC tomorrow, start an organized walk/run program TODAY. These PT instructors will run the hell out of not only you but your entire class if you get too many people that bomb the 1.5mile run during your first PEB (physical entry battery). Don't be that guy/gal that will known by everyone in the class that failed the PEB. There are two chances to complete the PEB -- that’s it. The other events (stretch & reach, sprint run with the cones, bench-press) don't count for your required minimum but don't be a clown about it (bench 40lbs, etc.). You will take the first PEB at the end of your first week (the week that you arrive) and YES, it does count. I was told by others that the PEB isn't till the end of the academy; that is BS. You take it at the beginning and then near the end. For anyone with an injury, they have awesome physical trainers here. There is no charge to see them and the staff do a great job. Your PT instructors encourage people too see them if you have problems.

I want to stress to the fat people (again, I am in this category), get ready for the PEB run. I was lucky -- my PEB was probably on one of the nicest days for a PEB (green flag conditions). If the sky is clear and that sun is beating down on you with 100 degree ambient temps and a heat index beyond 115, get ready to ADD a few minutes to your regular time. I beat out a dude that is in shape from my port by 30 seconds because of weather conditions. He said that they raised the black flag just after his group finished the run. The relief of finishing the run with plenty of time to spare was about 10 tons off of my back. Now I don't have to worry about passing it in the fall. Now (hopefully) our PT instructor won't run us till we vomit. Good luck!!

Comment

• Thanks tigers2007, helps quite a bit... I leave in 2 weeks the running has seemed to make the majority of people worried about going to FLETC. Hopefully getting used to running down here in south florida has prepared me for the heat and humidity up there in GA.

The sit and reach, and sprint make sense, but what was meant by the bench with 40 lbs? I know that cant be the minimum weight... or maybe i just read it wrong.
                    Day one at CBP: Aug 4th, 2008
                    Day one at FLETC: Sept 3, 2008 Class 863
                    Graduated Dec 18, 2008

Its game on from here....

Comment

• We get paid on the GS Pay-Scale. If we start out as a GS 5, what step do we start out at? Do we start out at the lowest step and move up to the next every month something? I guess I'm just wondering what the steps are all about at the lower ranks. I know they factor in at 11 and up, but how does it work at the lower ones?
                      GEO Pref: MIA
                      Written: 8/08 (99 w/VP)
                      TO: 9/08
                      Pre-employment Forms: Completed
                      Medical: Completed
                      Fitness: Completed
                      VBT: Completed 12/4
                      BI: Completed
                      Qualifications: Completed
                      TSU: 12/4
                      EOD: 2/17
                      FLETC: 3/12 Class 934

Comment

• Originally posted by USMC3537 View Post
                        We get paid on the GS Pay-Scale. If we start out as a GS 5, what step do we start out at? Do we start out at the lowest step and move up to the next every month something? I guess I'm just wondering what the steps are all about at the lower ranks. I know they factor in at 11 and up, but how does it work at the lower ones?
                        You likely will never be anything other than a 5 step 1, 7 step 1, 9 step 1, until you become an 11.

Some people who transfer from other federal positions may start at a different step, such as a 5 step 6, in order to mantain their level of pay.

Comment

• Originally posted by USMC3537 View Post
                          We get paid on the GS Pay-Scale. If we start out as a GS 5, what step do we start out at? Do we start out at the lowest step and move up to the next every month something? I guess I'm just wondering what the steps are all about at the lower ranks. I know they factor in at 11 and up, but how does it work at the lower ones?
                          Steps do not come into play until you reach Journeymen Level GS-11. You receive grade increases on the anniversary of your EOD.

Comment

• where is the information regarding FLETC for customs....what is the run time? any one have any links?

Comment

• Hi all, I have a question, if internal affairs finds you suitable for the job and refers your file to Washington, What kind of timeframe are you looking at? Also, Is there a way to get in touch with Washington? I was thinking to send letters to MHC and Washington if possible, Does anyone know the address to send a letter to washington?

Comment

• Dont send anything to either unless they ask for it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 14536 users online. 454 members and 14082 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X