Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by furrball409 View Post
    Hey everyone,

Quick question. Im in the process for CBP (taken the VBT and taking the medical tomorrow). However, Im seriously considering joining the military after I get my AA degree in December. Would this be a smart move? Assuming everything pans out with CBP that would be right around the time I would start working.
    Ive been wanting to join for a while and feel like now is my time. I just dont want to mess my chances of getting this job.

Any suggestions?
    What about the reserves? This way you can do both, and if you decide the military is your career, you can always transition to active duty. Or, stay in the reserves, and be a CBPO and have two retirements....just a thought.
    ICE IEA

May 08 Written Test
    Feb 09 TO-Los Angeles
    March 09 Medical/PT/Drug Test
    July 09 Oral Board
    Background Started 11/16/09

EOD 11/23/09 San Bernardino
    Academy class 006 12/03/09-04/13/10

Comment

• Originally posted by jwm0516 View Post
      Congrats. It's good to see some Marines around. Semper Fi and hopefully I'll be seeing you at Fletc soon. I'll be there Sept 10.
      Semper Fi. September 10 is the date in my calender to call the adjudicator back and check on the progress of my case. I'm hoping it'll clear before then, but I'm not holding me breath.

On a separate note, does anyone know if it's possible to work other hours at your port before you go to FLETC? Banker's hours are nice, but that would really put a wrench in our child care plans.
      ICE IEA

May 08 Written Test
      Feb 09 TO-Los Angeles
      July 09 Oral Board

Comment

• Originally posted by will0861 View Post
        What about the reserves? This way you can do both, and if you decide the military is your career, you can always transition to active duty. Or, stay in the reserves, and be a CBPO and have two retirements....just a thought.
        Thats actually what I am leaning towards. My concern would be if I eventually do get in CBP the approximate time (based on otherapplicants time frames) they would want me to start around the same time I want to join the military. If things do work out that way, would be better to take the job, go to FLETC then join. Or put off my EOD (if possible without starting over) go to basic/boot and other training then hope the offer is still there.

Or another scenario; what if I dont get a call from CBP, I join, and while Im at basic/boot they call with an offer. What would happen then?

Thanks for the time and responses.

Comment

Thats actually what I am leaning towards. My concern would be if I eventually do get in CBP the approximate time (based on otherapplicants time frames) they would want me to start around the same time I want to join the military. If things do work out that way, would be better to take the job, go to FLETC then join. Or put off my EOD (if possible without starting over) go to basic/boot and other training then hope the offer is still there.

Or another scenario; what if I dont get a call from CBP, I join, and while Im at basic/boot they call with an offer. What would happen then?

Thanks for the time and responses.
          Depending on where you are at with your CBP process, you could join the military, and be done with all your training, and even get a promotion or two before you get the call.

Personally, I would do the military first, if for no other reason then it is the harder of the two. And then being at FLETC for three months will be cake. I went to boot camp in May, and was home mid December. Obviously, every MOS is different, but I'm sure you could work it out so you can do both. Also, in my reserve unit we had several Marines become cops and firemen. They were allowed to go to the academy, and make up the time at the end of their contracts.

What branch were you considering?
          ICE IEA

May 08 Written Test
          Feb 09 TO-Los Angeles
          July 09 Oral Board

Comment

On a separate note, does anyone know if it's possible to work other hours at your port before you go to FLETC? Banker's hours are nice, but that would really put a wrench in our child care plans.
            It may be doable for some of your later weeks but while you are doing all of your initial training you've got to be there with the training staff that has those bankers hours. They're in charge of you until you go to FLETC.

Comment

Hey everyone,

Quick question. Im in the process for CBP (taken the VBT and taking the medical tomorrow). However, Im seriously considering joining the military after I get my AA degree in December. Would this be a smart move? Assuming everything pans out with CBP that would be right around the time I would start working.
              Ive been wanting to join for a while and feel like now is my time. I just dont want to mess my chances of getting this job.

Any suggestions?
              Personally I would wait until after I had the job with CBP and complete FTO to join the Reserves. CBP will allow you to retire in 25 years, the military in 20 years. Unless you are nearing the age cutoff you have plenty of time for both. The main stopping point for the military is class time and they are always hiring. With CBP you have to wait for a hiring authorization for the port you want, as well as slow downs for various reasons in the hiring process. The military is fine, but CBP pays much better, so that is where I would concentrate my efforts since their hiring can be a bit unpredictable, but that is a personal choice. I was thinking when I went to the academy that the youngins in the class had it made if they stuck it out. There aren't too many jobs out there paying at least 54k in 2 or 3 years for a person in their early twenties with no education past high school.

If you decide to hire with CBP first stay in shape after the academy, it will make Boot camp that much easier.
              But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

Hey everyone,

Any suggestions?

Hard to say, if you have your heart set on both, you'd probably have to go military and do boot camp first. If already in the military you can get your weekend every month off (with orders) to fufill you reserve or guard obligation. Not sure you can be a new CBPO and the get 2 months off for boot camp. You should call and double check.

Comment

• Hello Everyone, I just took the test last week and received my rating today. I didn't think i did that well when I was taking it, but apparently I scored a 98%, and that was with out my Vet's Pref points!!! so i guess that places me one step closer.
                  BPA

Tested--8/12/2008-97%
                  Fitness---09/02/2008--Passed
                  Oral Board---8/21/2008--Passed
                  Med---09/02/2008--Passed
                  Drug Test-9/18/2008- Passed
                  Pre-Employment Forms---11/08/2008--Completed
                  Background Investigation- 11/08/2008---Passed

Quals-8/22/2008 Submitted-Pending

CBPO

Tested---98%---8/5/2008

MCIIS(Mercyhurst Institute For Intelligence Studies)

Bachelor's Degree--3.6 GPA--11/13/2008[/SIZE]

Comment

Depending on where you are at with your CBP process, you could join the military, and be done with all your training, and even get a promotion or two before you get the call.

Personally, I would do the military first, if for no other reason then it is the harder of the two. And then being at FLETC for three months will be cake. I went to boot camp in May, and was home mid December. Obviously, every MOS is different, but I'm sure you could work it out so you can do both. Also, in my reserve unit we had several Marines become cops and firemen. They were allowed to go to the academy, and make up the time at the end of their contracts.

What branch were you considering?
                    My geo pref for CBP is Detroit and other applicants in my area have had a time frame of about a year from test to EOD. I tested in mid April, and if it werent for me being about half way through the process *hopefully* I would prefer to already be in basic/boot by that time in 09. I dont want to get the job offer while away and have it pass me by.
                    However, Im 23 (young to some) and I feel if I wait too much longer to join the military it would make things that much harder, as I dont know where Ill be in life in a few years (relationship/family wise). I have a girlfriend but other than that, nothing holding me back now. But at the same time, I dont want to miss this excellent career opportunity.
                    In a perfect world I would like to get my AA in December, go to basic/boot sometime mid-late winter. Then once I finish my training, accept the CBP job (assuming I geventually get hired). But I know how things can be with the goverment and Im basically at their mercy on when I can do what.

BTW, Im seriously considering the Marine Corps, but also looking into the Navy MA's. Thanks again, and keep the advice coming, it is appreciated.

Comment

• I noticed on the CBP website that there is a recruitment event this Saturday about 20 miles from where I live. I have already have my TO-- is this event even worth going to? Has anyone ever been to one of these events— will there be recruiters there or reps that I can ask questions?

Comment

• Today I received a phone call from my background investigator. He called to verify something on my investigation and told me that today he finished writing his report and that he was going to send it to the security office for an adjudicator to review it. My background investigator told me that I did not have any negative stuff on my report so that I should have no problem getting hired.

How much longer do I have to wait if the adjudicator receives my background investigation report tomorrow?

Comment

• YAYA..i received my NOR today and got an 81! woot. Does anyone know what steps are next? Thank you in advance

Comment

• Hi. I am now able to post messages. I've been reading alot of different helpful info on here. I am also in the process for CBP. Here is my timeline.....

Test: 11/08
                            TO: 02/08
                            GEO: Miami
                            Pre-employment forms: Turned in 03/08 (Completed) 05/08
                            Medical: 03/08 (Completed) 04/08
                            Fitness: 03/08 (Completed) 04/08
                            VBT: 04/08 (Completed) 05/08
                            Qualifications: (Completed)5/08
                            Drug: 04/08 (Completed) 04/08
                            BI: (Pending) Met with BI 06/08, sent to adjudicator the last week of 07/08

A couple of co workers told me that they were told that when your files is sent to be ajudicated that its going to take from 30 to 45 days to hear a response.

Comment

• Any recent TO's for PA? If so, when did u test ? Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabbanelli911 View Post
                                Today I received a phone call from my background investigator. He called to verify something on my investigation and told me that today he finished writing his report and that he was going to send it to the security office for an adjudicator to review it. My background investigator told me that I did not have any negative stuff on my report so that I should have no problem getting hired.

How much longer do I have to wait if the adjudicator receives my background investigation report tomorrow?
                                I'm in the same boat. My BI told me he is submitting my packet to adjudication today. He said 3 or 4 weeks at most to clear and then a phone call. Congrats! We might be at FLETC together.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5065 users online. 277 members and 4788 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X