Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You haven't done much of the process itself, why bring it up? Tell them after you pass the pft2, or when you use a couple of them for references during the BI.

Comment

• Originally posted by davidB. View Post
      You haven't done much of the process itself, why bring it up? Tell them after you pass the pft2, or when you use a couple of them for references during the BI.
      Agreed. I didn't even say anything at all. My BI ended up telling me she was going to interview my immediate manager and my neighbors and she said I could give them a heads up, at which point I just told them I applied for the position a while back and didn't expect much of it and I was wrong and left it at that.
      CBPO
      GEO Pref: SWB
      App Date: 8/2/11
      Written Exam: 9/1/11
      NOR (Rating: 85, no vet pref, GS-5/7): 9/29/11
      TSL submitted: 10/12/11 (faxed & mailed)
      E-Qip submitted: 10/14/11
      SF86 submitted: 10/25/11
      PFT1: 11/8/11 (cleared CASS 12/1/11)
      Med: 11/8/11 (cleared CASS 12/8/11)
      BI: 11/15/11 (cleared CASS 12/8/11)
      VBT/SI: 12/7/11 (cleared CASS 12/15/11)
      DT: 12/9/11 (cleared CASS 12/20/11)
      Referred to Schedule EOD 12/15/11
      Call Rec.: 3/2/12
      PFT2: 3/16/12
      EOD: 4/9/12
      FLETC: 5/11/12 - 9/17/12

Comment

• Originally posted by lang2 View Post
        Question: At what point in this process "...What are your all's thoughts/experiences?
        I've been at the same company for 10 years last month (in my third dept) and the way things have worked out, I've had the same boss for most of those 10 years. My boss is also understanding and nice, so I felt it would be appropriate to let her know from the very beginning, ie when I took time off for the written test. I also told her because looking at the laundry list of hoops I'd have to jump through after my NOR and all the people I'd have to see (medical, physical, VBT, investigator, etc) that eventually my boss would get suspicious and start asking questions about why I'm taking random hours off work here and there.

The thing I was worried about the most was HR finding out I had applied (we had butted heads on various things and I thought they might fire me as a result). Around the time the first investigator came knocking, the company had been going through cutbacks and downsizing and I thought HR might use this against me and as an excuse to either fire me or let me go (Florida is a right to work State, meaning you can get hired or fired any minute, with or without any written, verbal or other warning or reason and you have the right to quit at any time also). I told my concerns to the first investigator who told me if I don't give him the contact info for my current employer (corporate headquarters as well as local physical building location), the investigation would be considered incomplete, and the process would stop and not continue ie. "Game Over" thanks for your time, but DHS is no longer interested in you. All the investigator did was call corporate and talk to my boss in person.

The second investigator, met with my boss in person, AND with HR in person and nothing came of any of it. I'm still employed.

Depending on how well you get along with your boss and how big the company is, you might want to wait until you're done with everything but the background investigation. If they fire you then, you might be able to sue them. If you don't really care about the job you have now, and you can easily get another job, you can always tell your current employer you applied before the BI comes up. Keep in mind that having had 20 jobs in the past 10 years will probably raise eyebrows and make DHS wonder why you can't keep a job or stay in one for an extended period of time.
        CBP written test Miami, FL
        11/10/2007
        NOR letter 01/16/2008
        VBT 4/2/2008 (passed)
        Forms 6/2/2009 completed
        Med exam 4/6/2009 completed
        9/4/2009
        Physical exam 4/6/2009 (passed)
        drug test 5/7/2009 (passed)
        TO 5/12/2009 (2nd one,
        never got first)
        qualifications completed
        BI interview 9/30/2009
        BI cleared/referred to TSU 10/30/2009
        poly: Mar 2011
        updated e-Qip & All Forms: Sep/Oct 2011
        BI interview II: Dec 2011/Jan 2012

Comment

• If it were up to me, I would have decided not to inform them until I passed my PFT2..... unfortunately, the BI process kinda spoils the fun. I did what sandwichman did and informed them that I was in the process and that they would be contacted by an investigator soon, boooo.....
          BPA
          BPA test date: 8/21/10
          TSU: 2/6/12
          EOD: ???

CBPO
          Got the call!
          PFT2: 3/23
          EOD: 4/9
          FLETC: May 11th - Sept 17th, 2012

Comment

• Originally posted by Raymart View Post
            If it were up to me, I would have decided not to inform them until I passed my PFT2..... unfortunately, the BI process kinda spoils the fun. I did what sandwichman did and informed them that I was in the process and that they would be contacted by an investigator soon, boooo.....
            i turned in my uniforms 2 days ago. felt good! pft2 in 6 days

after that i can book my ticket and start packing up.
            EOD: 2/2012
            FLETC: 3/2012

Comment

• Freakin A bro!! I'm not too far along dude.......positive thoughts.......positive thoughts.....
              BPA
              BPA test date: 8/21/10
              TSU: 2/6/12
              EOD: ???

CBPO
              Got the call!
              PFT2: 3/23
              EOD: 4/9
              FLETC: May 11th - Sept 17th, 2012

Comment

• Thanks for all your input. This is a hard decision for me. My co-workers and boss are like family and it is really hard to keep this process from them. I am not too far along, I haven't had a drug test or medical or anything, but for some reason I am doing the VBT and SI Wednesday. I'll probably break the news sooner than later. I love my job, but it is pretty dead-end at this point. It will be hard to tell them my plans to leave, and even harder to leave, but it's what is best- it's what I want.
                GEO: Midwest
                Written Exam: 12/10/10
                NOR: 1/25/11, score 93 no vet pref
                TO/TSL: 1/9/12
                VBT & SI: 2/8/12 (cleared CASS 3/27/12)
                PFT1: 2/9/12 (cleared CASS 2/15/12)
                Medical: 2/14/12, cleared CASS 3/6/12
                BI: IN SECURITY OFFICE
                Pre-employment forms: cleared CASS 4/9/12
                Qualified GS-7 (received letter 4/9/12, cleared on CASS 4/12/12)
                Polygraph: 5/11/12
                Drug test: 5/24/12, cleared CASS 5/31/12
                Met with BI: 7/27/12
                Called: 8/24/12, Chicago
                PFT2: 9/4/12
                EOD: 9/24/12
                FLETC: 10/31-3/15

Comment

• Hey what's up all? Anybody know how long after the poly it should take to hear anything? Still waiting on the BI

Comment

• Originally posted by davidB. View Post
                    Can anyone shine some light on what officers that commute by motorcycle do with their duty belt?

I start riding my motorcycle into pre-fletc next week, but I haven't seen any officers come in at my training center via motorcycle? I'm not too thrilled on putting my belt in my backpack on the ride in.
                    We have lockers. I do not ride a motorcycle though find it MUCH more practical to store my duty firearm and equipment at my duty location. Your in much better hands carrying your own personal firearm off duty and in transit then carrying your duty firearm off duty - least in my opinion.
                    Live to work... or Work to live - YOUR Choice.

Comment

• Not all ports offer lockers and/or gun storage facilities for all/the majority of their Officer compliment.
                      Storing it at work might not be a viable option 100% of the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sytes View Post
                        We have lockers. I do not ride a motorcycle though find it MUCH more practical to store my duty firearm and equipment at my duty location. Your in much better hands carrying your own personal firearm off duty and in transit then carrying your duty firearm off duty - least in my opinion.
                        Your port allows you to carry in a personally owned gun, swap out into the duty weapon, store your POG on-site during duty hours and then swap back to the POG at the end of your work shift?

If so...interesting.

Comment

• Really? TDY's to other locations - I have not come across a port that did not have officer lockers w/ firearm lockboxes inside. That would be a pain in the arse w/o a locker... Typically, I have spare equipment (Clothing/gear), ear protection (firearm qualifications, etc) spare ammo, etc stored.
                          Note: not doubting you Merlin... I simply have not run into this, yet.

On the note of your personal firearm, I should add... probably best to speak with an officer you can confide in at your port... I have heard some ports do not permit personal firearms on government property... Also , probably your best bet to get the info on lockers, etc...

Edit: just saw your second post, Merlin. I'll reserve my comment on that topic. As stated, best bet is to speak with your fellow officers to see what is and is not permissible...
                          Live to work... or Work to live - YOUR Choice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sytes View Post
                            Really? TDY's to other locations - I have not come across a port that did not have officer lockers w/ firearm lockboxes inside. That would be a pain in the arse w/o a locker... Typically, I have spare equipment (Clothing/gear), ear protection (firearm qualifications, etc) spare ammo, etc stored.
                            Note: not doubting you Merlin... I simply have not run into this, yet.

On the note of your personal firearm, I should add... probably best to speak with an officer you can confide in at your port... I have heard some ports do not permit personal firearms on government property... Also , probably your best bet to get the info on lockers, etc...

Edit: just saw your second post, Merlin. I'll reserve my comment on that topic. As stated, best bet is to speak with your fellow officers to see what is and is not permissible...
                            Would you say most officers carry while off duty?
                            EOD: 2/2012
                            FLETC: 3/2012

Comment

• Read the Firearms policy. Firearms storage is covered. I can name at least 5 ports / locations that do not offer overnight, firearms storage for officer weapons. You are also still responsable for the weapon even when left at the port, so your decision. As for the personal weapon, read the policy. You are on probation for a year, do the math.
                              Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

Comment

• Originally posted by wmu2003 View Post
                                How soon before your FLETC class start date will you get any info from the academy? I assume they won't tell you where you stay until you arrive. Any suggestions from people who are there or have been there on what to bring? (i'm driving so luggage is not an issue)
                                You don't really get any FLETC info before you get there. Maybe a list with all your classmates names and your Supervisor's names.

Since you're bringing a car, you can pretty much buy everything you need at Target or WalMart (toiletries, snacks...). If you already have white, crew neck t-shirts, bring them with you, black socks...maybe something to entretain yourself when you need a break from studying (books, some ppl bring video games). The most important thing for me is a laptop for internet and to keep in touch with the family. I also brought a printer, which helps with study guides.
                                Written: 12/8/10
                                NOR: 1/25/11
                                TO: 5/11/11
                                Fitness/Med: 5/16/11
                                BI: 6/14/11
                                VBT/SI: 6/20/11
                                Drug Screen: 9/29/11
                                Call: 10/5/11
                                PTF2: 10/14/11
                                EOD: 11/7/11 (El Paso)
                                FLETC: 12/6/11

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9966 users online. 514 members and 9452 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X