Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by amillot View Post
    it's not that much.
    are you still money-friday or are you working weekends now?
    EOD: 2/2012
    FLETC: 3/2012

Comment

• I seriously doubt that there is anything that prohibits or restricts a port from putting trainees on differential shifts or giving them OT.

I also seriously doubt that most trainees will see much, if any, shift differential and/or OT. Simply put, there's likely no benefit to be gained for CBP that outweighs the additional payroll costs.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
        I seriously doubt that there is anything that prohibits or restricts a port from putting trainees on differential shifts or giving them OT.

I also seriously doubt that most trainees will see much, if any, shift differential and/or OT. Simply put, there's likely no benefit to be gained for CBP that outweighs the additional payroll costs.
        When I came in for pre I was told "trainees" were not allowed diff or OT, and none of my classmates had it either...
        As merlin said "there's likely no benefit to be gained for CBP that outweighs the additional payroll costs"
        I can add that I assisted a classmate on remedial training, and my port had a hard time understanding why they had to pay me OT while at FLETC...

So if you're a Trainee and you're getting diff... count yourself lucky!
        CBPO
        Written: 08/29/2007
        EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• Odd situations often lead to non-standard practices and solutions.

The current group of December hires looking at extended pre-academies of several weeks/months definitely represent 'out-of-the-norm'. I'm not surprised that some ports are scrambling to find additional productive ways to utilize new hires, to include opening up to options traditionally less often employed.

Comment

• Hey everyone, I only have my medical review left to be checked with the green mark on CASS, any idea how much longer it may be? Like I said everything is all set and ready to go it seems. Just wondering. Thanks. And for those starting academy in March, Good luck!

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
              Odd situations often lead to non-standard practices and solutions.

The current group of December hires looking at extended pre-academies of several weeks/months definitely represent 'out-of-the-norm'. I'm not surprised that some ports are scrambling to find additional productive ways to utilize new hires, to include opening up to options traditionally less often employed.
              my pre academy is 1 month. should i expect being a cashier or having the "normal" experience?

Comment

• Running a register, at least part-time and as needed, is not that odd of an occurrence for a CBPO. What is odd is differential shifts for trainees.

I'd expect at least enough cashier time to see yourself familiarized well enough that you'll be able to collect some immigration and custom fees, duties and penalties.

Comment

• Probably a port specific practice and not an agency-wide policy. Where I work, pre-academy trainees have been running shuttles 24 hrs a day Monday through Friday while receiving shift differential for quite some time since you really only need about a week or two of pre-academy training. Designating trainees to run the shuttles or cashier work, where a line officer would originally be assigned the position, keeps an extra body on the push and keeps the trainee somewhat productive as they wait in limbo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aesco84 View Post
                    are you still money-friday or are you working weekends now?
                    yes. But only on the 1400-2200 from monday to thursday. Friday we all report back to training
                    Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                    Running a register, at least part-time and as needed, is not that odd of an occurrence for a CBPO. What is odd is differential shifts for trainees.

I'd expect at least enough cashier time to see yourself familiarized well enough that you'll be able to collect some immigration and custom fees, duties and penalties.
                    I just hit buttons on a computer screen. There's always another officer there doing all the paperwork. There's times when I'm the only one on the floor that knows th register.
                    Originally posted by Thoughtless View Post
                    Probably a port specific practice and not an agency-wide policy. Where I work, pre-academy trainees have been running shuttles 24 hrs a day Monday through Friday while receiving shift differential for quite some time since you really only need about a week or two of pre-academy training. Designating trainees to run the shuttles or cashier work, where a line officer would originally be assigned the position, keeps an extra body on the push and keeps the trainee somewhat productive as they wait in limbo.
                    Exactly how the port and myself see it. There's always a need for another body working the line, while anyone can work the register.

Comment

• amillot,

when you say cashier, you mean you're a cashier for cbp doing job-related work?? all this time i imagined you working at a 7-11 type convenience store at your POE lol.

Comment

• Ha! Yeah. We charge for all the permits.

Comment

• After not walking for over three months due to a badly broken leg, then basically learning how to walk again with that leg I'm proud to say I was able to run a sub 17 minute 1.5 mile this morning, and that was at a 1% incline on the treadmill.

I am pumped and ready to take on the pft1, if only I could now get it scheduled. I realize that the PFT1 doesn't include a 1.5 mile run but I am preparing myself to hopefully run a sub 10 minute 1.5 mile should I be fortunate enough to ever make it to the PFT2.

I'm also surprised I haven't received my TSL2 yet, it's been over two weeks now since receiving and returning my TSL1, I thought the TSL2 typically came pretty quick after the TSL1.
                          Last edited by 180Degrees; 01-26-2012, 02:46 PM.

Comment

• snip, snip, nevermind
                            Last edited by sandwichman; 01-26-2012, 04:02 PM.
                            CBP written test Miami, FL
                            11/10/2007
                            NOR letter 01/16/2008
                            VBT 4/2/2008 (passed)
                            Forms 6/2/2009 completed
                            Med exam 4/6/2009 completed
                            9/4/2009
                            Physical exam 4/6/2009 (passed)
                            drug test 5/7/2009 (passed)
                            TO 5/12/2009 (2nd one,
                            never got first)
                            qualifications completed
                            BI interview 9/30/2009
                            BI cleared/referred to TSU 10/30/2009
                            poly: Mar 2011
                            updated e-Qip & All Forms: Sep/Oct 2011
                            BI interview II: Dec 2011/Jan 2012

Comment

• Originally posted by 180Degrees View Post
                              After not walking for over three months due to a badly broken leg, then basically learning how to walk again with that leg I'm proud to say I was able to run a sub 17 minute 1.5 mile this morning, and that was at a 1% incline on the treadmill.
                              Word on the street is that its better to practice your runs outside, on pavement or concrete or whatever you have in your neck of the woods to get a more accurate time reading. At FLETC you'll have to run outside and not on a treadmill. That being said, you'll probably want to wait until your leg is 100%.
                              11/10/2007
                              NOR letter 01/16/2008
                              VBT 4/2/2008 (passed)
                              Forms 6/2/2009 completed
                              9/4/2009
                              TO 5/12/2009 (2nd one,
                              never got first)
                              qualifications completed
                              BI interview 9/30/2009

Comment

• Do any of you current CBPOs or CBPO hopefuls have dual citizenship?
                                11/10/2007
                                NOR letter 01/16/2008
                                VBT 4/2/2008 (passed)
                                Forms 6/2/2009 completed
                                9/4/2009
                                TO 5/12/2009 (2nd one,
                                never got first)
                                qualifications completed
                                BI interview 9/30/2009

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10707 users online. 395 members and 10312 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X