300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aesco84 View Post
    when i got "the call" the first time in Oct. the lady told me "we're offering you the position. your POE is AZ as a GS-7". i told them i was in my last semester of school and i didn't want to leave yet. they gave me a 90 day hold which was lifted on 1/4/12. I got "the call" for the SECOND time a week after my freeze was lifted. this time i said yes! My first call was back in October. I got a letter one week later telling me my grade, status and what happens next (even though i already knew bc MHC told me). The letter telling me my grade and status was dated for 10/3/11 but arrived a week later. since i got the call on 10/4/11 i already knew what was going on.

I don't think they tell people their grade during a SI. But, i could be wrong.

I did 4 years in the military and i have a Bachelor's. It was definitely the military that gave me the 7. I was military police. i really don't think the MP mattered though. I'm sure a chef in the military who has never shot a gun (except for boot camp) or handcuffed would probably be a GS-7 just bc of military experience.
    That's very understandable. I would assume that 8 years of work would get you at least 1 year ahead of everyone. I just wish that a BS would be enough for a GS 7.

Does anybody know if the next wave of TSLs went out for the SWB recently?
    "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your path straight." - Proverbs 3:5,6

Comment

• Originally posted by IamWolf View Post
      That's very understandable. I would assume that 8 years of work would get you at least 1 year ahead of everyone. I just wish that a BS would be enough for a GS 7.

Does anybody know if the next wave of TSLs went out for the SWB recently?
      nothing wrong with being a 5 lol. what are TSLs??
      EOD: 2/2012
      FLETC: 3/2012

Comment

• Originally posted by Aesco84 View Post
        nothing wrong with being a 5 lol. what are TSLs??
        Tentative Selection Letter, or a TO basically. People are calling them TSLs now.
        GEO: Midwest
        Written Exam: 12/10/10
        NOR: 1/25/11, score 93 no vet pref
        TO/TSL: 1/9/12
        VBT & SI: 2/8/12 (cleared CASS 3/27/12)
        PFT1: 2/9/12 (cleared CASS 2/15/12)
        Medical: 2/14/12, cleared CASS 3/6/12
        BI: IN SECURITY OFFICE
        Pre-employment forms: cleared CASS 4/9/12
        Qualified GS-7 (received letter 4/9/12, cleared on CASS 4/12/12)
        Polygraph: 5/11/12
        Drug test: 5/24/12, cleared CASS 5/31/12
        Met with BI: 7/27/12
        Called: 8/24/12, Chicago
        PFT2: 9/4/12
        EOD: 9/24/12
        FLETC: 10/31-3/15

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
          Yes and yes.

I'll hazard a guess and state that a financial NOPA is probably one of the easiest NOPAs to beat.
          Thanks Merlin. I will send it in this week and hope for the best. All I can do I guess.

Comment

• Sufficient and relevant work experience can be combined with education to qualify for a GS-07.

Comment

• So, the place where I did my second medical has forgotten to send it in or something. Nobody seems to have my documentation and everything has been pending forever.
              CBPO
              GEO - NY/JFK
              TEST - 03/08 (NOR: 04/08)

TO - 01/09
              PE Forms - Completed
              Fitness - Completed
              VBT - 03/09 - Completed
              Drug Screen - Completed
              Qual - 05/09 - Completed
              B.I. - 05/09 - Completed
              Medical - 05/09 - Completed
              TSU

EOD: ???
              FLETC: ???

Comment

Sufficient and relevant work experience can be combined with education to qualify for a GS-07.
                I'm assuming that a regular part-time customer service job and a bachelor's degree in CJ will not be enough to land you a GS-7??
                "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your path straight." - Proverbs 3:5,6

Comment

I'm assuming that a regular part-time customer service job and a bachelor's degree in CJ will not be enough to land you a GS-7??

Here's what the announcement stated -- Basically, you either need a Bachelor's Degree or General Experience for GS5. For GS7, you need a Bachelor's Degree AND specialized experience (i.e. inspection work at borders, seaports, airports, etc.), OR a Bachelor's Degree + S.A.A. (i.e. a GPA of 2.95+), OR a Bachelor's Degree + 1 year graduate studies.

If you have a BA in CJ with a GPA of 2.95+, you would qualify for GS7.

Experience Requirements for a GS-7 level: Applicants must have one (1) year of specialized experience that entailed performance of substantive duties in inspections work at borders, seaports, airports or other ports of entry and/or work involving preliminary screening of persons for entry and immigration status, or compliance/regulatory work. Inspections experience must have demonstrated the ability to apply specialized knowledge of the laws, regulations, and procedures for importing and exporting merchandise to and from the United States and/or law enforcement work at the local, State or Federal levels, which included dealing with persons suspected of entering the United States illegally. Compliance/regulatory work experience must have demonstrated the ability to collect, develop, and evaluate facts, evidence, and pertinent data in assessing compliance with or violations of laws, rules or regulations. Specialized experience is generally gained in the performance of the duties of the following kinds of positions in the private/public sectors: Inspector, Auditor, Analyst, Examiner, Administrator, and Investigator as well as some Technicians and Assistants.

Education: If applicants do not have the work experience described above, four (4) years of study in any field leading to a bachelor's degree in an accredited college or university can be substituted and is fully qualifying for the GS-5 level. For the GS-7 level, one (1) full academic year of graduate education, or a master's or higher degree is qualifying, or meeting the provisions of Superior Academic Achievement (SAA). See http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/SEC-II/s2-e5.asp#e4f for information on SAA.

Combining qualifying experience and education: If you do not qualify based on experience or education alone, you may be able to qualify based on a combination of your experience and education. Follow the directions below in order to convert each to a percentage, and then add the percentages together to see if they total 100 percent. To determine your percentage of qualifying experience, you must divide your total number of months of qualifying experience by the required number of months of experience. For information on how to caculate your education and experience please see the following link: http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/...fact_sheet.pdf

Here's the link to the announcement -- https://my.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/2303048
                  GatorFutureSA

DEA 1811 (June 2012):
                  Applied - 06/2012

FBI 1811 (August 2012):
                  Applied - 08/2012
                  Phase I - 09/2012
                  M & G - Pending

CBPO (Sept 2011):
                  Applied - 09/2011
                  Test - 09/2011 (Passed) - NOR 89
                  VBT/SI - 11/2011 (Passed)
                  Medical - 12/2011 (Cleared)
                  PFT1 - 12/2011 (Passed)
                  BI - 11/2011 (Pending - In Security Office)

ICE 1811 (June 2011):
                  Applied - 06/2011
                  Cancelled - 08/2012 -- sonofabitch!

Comment

• Originally posted by GatorFutureSA View Post
                    Here's what the announcement stated -- Basically, you either need a Bachelor's Degree or General Experience for GS5. For GS7, you need a Bachelor's Degree AND specialized experience (i.e. inspection work at borders, seaports, airports, etc.), OR a Bachelor's Degree + S.A.A. (i.e. a GPA of 2.95+), OR a Bachelor's Degree + 1 year graduate studies.

If you have a BA in CJ with a GPA of 2.95+, you would qualify for GS7.

Experience Requirements for a GS-7 level: Applicants must have one (1) year of specialized experience that entailed performance of substantive duties in inspections work at borders, seaports, airports or other ports of entry and/or work involving preliminary screening of persons for entry and immigration status, or compliance/regulatory work. Inspections experience must have demonstrated the ability to apply specialized knowledge of the laws, regulations, and procedures for importing and exporting merchandise to and from the United States and/or law enforcement work at the local, State or Federal levels, which included dealing with persons suspected of entering the United States illegally. Compliance/regulatory work experience must have demonstrated the ability to collect, develop, and evaluate facts, evidence, and pertinent data in assessing compliance with or violations of laws, rules or regulations. Specialized experience is generally gained in the performance of the duties of the following kinds of positions in the private/public sectors: Inspector, Auditor, Analyst, Examiner, Administrator, and Investigator as well as some Technicians and Assistants.

Education: If applicants do not have the work experience described above, four (4) years of study in any field leading to a bachelor's degree in an accredited college or university can be substituted and is fully qualifying for the GS-5 level. For the GS-7 level, one (1) full academic year of graduate education, or a master's or higher degree is qualifying, or meeting the provisions of Superior Academic Achievement (SAA). See http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/SEC-II/s2-e5.asp#e4f for information on SAA.

Combining qualifying experience and education: If you do not qualify based on experience or education alone, you may be able to qualify based on a combination of your experience and education. Follow the directions below in order to convert each to a percentage, and then add the percentages together to see if they total 100 percent. To determine your percentage of qualifying experience, you must divide your total number of months of qualifying experience by the required number of months of experience. For information on how to caculate your education and experience please see the following link: http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/...fact_sheet.pdf

Here's the link to the announcement -- https://my.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/2303048
                    Nice, I still have hope for that 7

Comment

Maybe.

It's as much about presentation and perception as anything else, present enough relevant life/work experience and articulate that experience favorably to the person who approves the GS-07. It's really that simple.

Comment

• I emailed IA today and said I hadn't heard anything in 3 weeks after I corrected/resubmitted my Residency Waiver.
                        The lady wrote back saying
                        "Your residency waiver was approved pending scheduling of your background investigation. Your investigation will require stateside and international coverage, which means it may take longer than normal.
                        Please fill free to contact me during this process. Check with me tomorrow around 3:00pm (EST) and I will give you an update."

So we'll see what she has to say tomorrow afternoon!
                        CBPO Exam: 08/1/11
                        NOR: 8/30/11 86 No Vet Pts. Qual: GS-7
                        T.S.L: 9/29/11 (SWB)
                        E-QIP: 10/12/11
                        VBT & S.I.: 10/25/11 Passed
                        Medical and PFT1: 10/31/11 Passed
                        Drug Test: 12/1/11 Passed
                        Poly: Scheduled for 2/29/12
                        B.I.: ???
                        PFT2:
                        E.O.D.:

Comment

• For what it's worth (which is perhaps very little), my second BI went green on CASS within the last 24 hours. I met with the investigator almost exactly one month ago. That's a lot faster than I thought it would be. It was a relatively simple update, so they probably just rubber stamped it, but at least I'm back in line...

Comment

• Originally posted by Mich-Again View Post
                            For what it's worth (which is perhaps very little), my second BI went green on CASS within the last 24 hours. I met with the investigator almost exactly one month ago. That's a lot faster than I thought it would be. It was a relatively simple update, so they probably just rubber stamped it, but at least I'm back in line...
                            Same thing that I was told, and I'm not in line for SWB, in line for North East next to our Frenchy pals up north.
                            CBP written test Miami, FL
                            11/10/2007
                            NOR letter 01/16/2008
                            VBT 4/2/2008 (passed)
                            Forms 6/2/2009 completed
                            Med exam 4/6/2009 completed
                            9/4/2009
                            Physical exam 4/6/2009 (passed)
                            drug test 5/7/2009 (passed)
                            TO 5/12/2009 (2nd one,
                            never got first)
                            qualifications completed
                            BI interview 9/30/2009
                            BI cleared/referred to TSU 10/30/2009
                            poly: Mar 2011
                            updated e-Qip & All Forms: Sep/Oct 2011
                            BI interview II: Dec 2011/Jan 2012

Comment

Maybe.

It's as much about presentation and perception as anything else, present enough relevant life/work experience and articulate that experience favorably to the person who approves the GS-07. It's really that simple.
                              I qualified for GS-7 based on honor society membership during my community college days and nothing else. My GPA at the university level wasn't that great (B or C average) and I still qualified. The honor society I belonged to wasn't on their list of "approved" honor societies so I emailed them, and they accepted the one I had been in.

The extra $2000 starting pay is nice, if and when I ever get hired, but if they told me I only qualified for GS-5 and got the call as a GS-5, I would still take it. From what has been posted on here in the past, the jump from a 5-7 happens pretty quickly.
                              Last edited by sandwichman; 01-24-2012, 12:52 PM.
                              CBP written test Miami, FL
                              11/10/2007
                              NOR letter 01/16/2008
                              VBT 4/2/2008 (passed)
                              Forms 6/2/2009 completed
                              Med exam 4/6/2009 completed
                              9/4/2009
                              Physical exam 4/6/2009 (passed)
                              drug test 5/7/2009 (passed)
                              TO 5/12/2009 (2nd one,
                              never got first)
                              qualifications completed
                              BI interview 9/30/2009
                              BI cleared/referred to TSU 10/30/2009
                              poly: Mar 2011
                              updated e-Qip & All Forms: Sep/Oct 2011
                              BI interview II: Dec 2011/Jan 2012

Comment

• Yes, the jump from 5 to 7 is only a year. It's worth it.
                                Exam: 12/10 (for West Coast)
                                Reapplied: 7/11 (for SWB)
                                TSL: 10/28/11 (SWB)
                                PFT1: 12/2/11 (passed)
                                Medical: 12/2/11 (passed)
                                VBT & S.I.: 1/10/12 (passed)
                                B.I.: 3/19/12 met with BI (in security office)
                                Qualifications: 3/22/12 (cleared)
                                Drug Test: 5/17/2012 (cleared)
                                PFT2: ?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6413 users online. 346 members and 6067 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X