300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jdivola View Post
    Sorry guys, I'm full of questions. Does anyone know if those of us starting pre-academy will get a day off for Christmas? Just wondering if it would be the Friday before or the Monday after.
    While at pre-academy you will not work holidays, differentials or OT... M-F, 8-4 if there are no holidays involved.
    As to facial hair, the regs "allow" you to have it... now as a new hire walking in for the first time, is that the 1st impression you want to make? I would hope not.
    Best of Luck at FLETC, it'll be a LOOOONG 19 weeks!... but you will at least be able to drive home some of the weekends.
    CBPO
    Written: 08/29/2007
    EOD: July 11, 2011

Comment

• Originally posted by yoda View Post
      While at pre-academy you will not work holidays, differentials or OT... M-F, 8-4 if there are no holidays involved.
      As to facial hair, the regs "allow" you to have it... now as a new hire walking in for the first time, is that the 1st impression you want to make? I would hope not.
      Best of Luck at FLETC, it'll be a LOOOONG 19 weeks!... but you will at least be able to drive home some of the weekends.
      Yoda, just curious but when do they administer the Spanish test to determine whether or not you will have to take the extra 6 weeks of it for those that are going to the SWB? If you did take it can you comment on the difficulty of the test?
      CBPO
      GEO Pref: SWB
      App Date: 8/2/11
      Written Exam: 9/1/11
      NOR (Rating: 85, no vet pref, GS-5/7): 9/29/11
      TSL submitted: 10/12/11 (faxed & mailed)
      E-Qip submitted: 10/14/11
      SF86 submitted: 10/25/11
      PFT1: 11/8/11 (cleared CASS 12/1/11)
      Med: 11/8/11 (cleared CASS 12/8/11)
      BI: 11/15/11 (cleared CASS 12/8/11)
      VBT/SI: 12/7/11 (cleared CASS 12/15/11)
      DT: 12/9/11 (cleared CASS 12/20/11)
      Referred to Schedule EOD 12/15/11
      Call Rec.: 3/2/12
      PFT2: 3/16/12
      EOD: 4/9/12
      FLETC: 5/11/12 - 9/17/12

Comment

Sorry guys, I'm full of questions. Does anyone know if those of us starting pre-academy will get a day off for Christmas? Just wondering if it would be the Friday before or the Monday after.
        Count on having the 26th off.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
          Yearly progression...
          First year...GS-05
          2nd year...GS-07
          3rd year...GS-09
          4th year...GS-11
          5th year...Journeyman GS-12

At worst, it matters for 3 years...assuming you start as a GS-05. If you start as a GS-07, it's only a two year difference.

As a practical matter and targeted to guys like you working in SD, it's only likely to make a huge difference during the first year or so. Since you'll spend 89 training days at CBPOBT, maybe another 30 days learning Spanish and then months of post-academy training, your chances of picking up shift differentials and overtime will be severely limited, if not all together impossible. Once you come off 'training status' and differentials and overtime open up, it really should more or less even out.

Now, if you were headed to a port with limited differential potential and limited overtime opportunities, the difference between the two would be far more noticeable.
          Thanks merlin, that's good info. I'm just a little worried. After the Corps, my wife and I started out with nothing. Literally. We were on welfare and unemployment, living in a crap hole in Imperial Beach (S. San Diego). I couldn't get a job, as all I knew was how to kill people and police work, which she didn't want me to do. So we went to school, then moved to Brunswick (my hometown). We got jobs, a nice 4B2b 2-car garage house on an acre of land, a beautiful baby, some savings etc... I pulled us out of the gutter and we're living, if not THE Good Life, a good life. Now I'm going back to San Diego, starting from scratch, with nothing to fall on. Wife won't have a job for some time, and we'll be living off of my CBP salary for who knows how long. Every penny counts.

I'm taking a mighty big gamble. I'm sure it'll pay off in the end, but there's always that fear factor, and in reality, *crap* happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by USMC_Stitch View Post
            Thanks merlin, that's good info. I'm just a little worried. After the Corps, my wife and I started out with nothing. Literally. We were on welfare and unemployment, living in a crap hole in Imperial Beach (S. San Diego). I couldn't get a job, as all I knew was how to kill people and police work, which she didn't want me to do. So we went to school, then moved to Brunswick (my hometown). We got jobs, a nice 4B2b 2-car garage house on an acre of land, a beautiful baby, some savings etc... I pulled us out of the gutter and we're living, if not THE Good Life, a good life. Now I'm going back to San Diego, starting from scratch, with nothing to fall on. Wife won't have a job for some time, and we'll be living off of my CBP salary for who knows how long. Every penny counts.

I'm taking a mighty big gamble. I'm sure it'll pay off in the end, but there's always that fear factor, and in reality, *crap* happens.
            Well you seem pretty determined so you definitely will succeed. I'm about to leave a very well paying job to take about a 30-40k paycut just to pursue this. Something that I've always wanted to do. My BI actually came into work to talk to my Manager and got my Regional VP. In short my Manager found out I was going for CBP and now wants to counter and throw me more money to stay since I'm heavily relied on for reports. He actually wants a 30 day notice lol. Whatever the case, I recently got engaged and my fiance has 3 kids. So if you could only imagine I will have to provide for her and the kids on this pay. I just hope I can time things right and get my 10-16k bonus and use that as backup funds.
            CBPO

Comment

• Jeebus, 3 kids...
              Good luck to you.
              I'm good with just one!

Just all the more motivation to be sh.. hot at my new job.

Comment

• Originally posted by yoda View Post
                Thanks for the advice, Yoda. I assumed I would have to shave anyway for the first day. I just wanted to see what the experts like you, would say. I was just wondering if they would send somebody home if they weren't clean-shaven. I have the shortest cut goatee possible, barely even noticeable.

How come we only work an 8 hour shift? That is less than a 40 hour work week if we are to take any lunch breaks.

Comment

• Originally posted by buis02 View Post
                  Yoda, just curious but when do they administer the Spanish test to determine whether or not you will have to take the extra 6 weeks of it for those that are going to the SWB? If you did take it can you comment on the difficulty of the test?
                  The Spanish test is administered about the 2nd to 3rd week at the academy for those going to the SWB or Miami. If you're fluent in Spanish or have a four year degree in the language you should be able to pass without any problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thoughtless View Post
                    The Spanish test is administered about the 2nd to 3rd week at the academy for those going to the SWB or Miami. If you're fluent in Spanish or have a four year degree in the language you should be able to pass without any problem.
                    Is the Spanish test written or through a computer similar to rosseta stone?

Comment

Okay guys, I need one last bit of advice before I report for my first day on Monday (pre-academy). I know this has been discussed on this forum before, but I am bringing it up one more time. I really don't want to shave my goatee. So far, the only information that has been given to me was after the PFT2: an officer stated that we will be clean-shaven at FLETC. Most likely I will shave for the first day and then see how things go from there on, but I just wanted to see what you guys think. I'm not complaining or anything, but I didn't want to do shave if it wasn't necessary.
                      You might as well shave it now.. you're not going to be allowed to have it in fletc or after you graduate anyway.

Comment

Well you seem pretty determined so you definitely will succeed. I'm about to leave a very well paying job to take about a 30-40k paycut just to pursue this. Something that I've always wanted to do. My BI actually came into work to talk to my Manager and got my Regional VP. In short my Manager found out I was going for CBP and now wants to counter and throw me more money to stay since I'm heavily relied on for reports. He actually wants a 30 day notice lol. Whatever the case, I recently got engaged and my fiance has 3 kids. So if you could only imagine I will have to provide for her and the kids on this pay. I just hope I can time things right and get my 10-16k bonus and use that as backup funds.
                        I'm in the same boat guys. I want this job to provide a better life for my family but it's going to be a stuggle for the first couple of years. My family is excited but they dont know that I am actually taking a pay cut. I only qualified for a GS 5 so even if I start at a GS 5 step 10 Im still taking a pay cut and moving down in grade. It's a hard decision to make but in the long run it's going to pay off for us!
                        Exam: 12/10 (for West Coast)
                        Reapplied: 7/11 (for SWB)
                        TSL: 10/28/11 (SWB)
                        PFT1: 12/2/11 (passed)
                        Medical: 12/2/11 (passed)
                        VBT & S.I.: 1/10/12 (passed)
                        B.I.: 3/19/12 met with BI (in security office)
                        Qualifications: 3/22/12 (cleared)
                        Drug Test: 5/17/2012 (cleared)
                        PFT2: ?

Comment

• I'll be taking a hit too but hopefully I get hired as a GS7 and hopefully the OT will lessen the blow the first year. The move from the east coast is going to suck but I'm so excited to move back

Comment

• Originally posted by Thoughtless View Post
                            I have a four year degree but yeah being taught Spanish by a female individual that was Indian and had the full on Indian accent didn't really help if you catch my drift. Hope I can pass it and not have to take go for the Spanish part of academy when that time comes.

Originally posted by DIGG7ER View Post
                            Is the Spanish test written or through a computer similar to rosseta stone?
                            Bottom line it just means we all need to refresh up on it Doesn't hurt afterall rite?

Originally posted by DSgirlCA View Post
                            I'm in the same boat guys. I want this job to provide a better life for my family but it's going to be a stuggle for the first couple of years. My family is excited but they dont know that I am actually taking a pay cut. I only qualified for a GS 5 so even if I start at a GS 5 step 10 Im still taking a pay cut and moving down in grade. It's a hard decision to make but in the long run it's going to pay off for us!
                            For me I'm just done with the whole cubicle life of pushing papers, and basically being almost a personal assistant. My company doesn't even match our 401k and the our benefits package has gone up in price. I'm looking at the long run and making sure I'll be taken care of down the line.

So how does that work? I tested and got GS 5/7. So do they basically give me the higher of the two?

Other then that has anyone else got the call?
                            CBPO

Comment

I have a four year degree but yeah being taught Spanish by a female individual that was Indian and had the full on Indian accent didn't really help if you catch my drift. Hope I can pass it and not have to take go for the Spanish part of academy when that time comes.

Bottom line it just means we all need to refresh up on it Doesn't hurt afterall rite?

For me I'm just done with the whole cubicle life of pushing papers, and basically being almost a personal assistant. My company doesn't even match our 401k and the our benefits package has gone up in price. I'm looking at the long run and making sure I'll be taken care of down the line.

So how does that work? I tested and got GS 5/7. So do they basically give me the higher of the two?

Other then that has anyone else got the call?

Comment

• I don't know how they decide what they will offer you. I guess depending on the paperwork you submitted if you can support you qualify for a GS 7 they would give it to you. My NOR said I only qualified for the GS5 so I know there is no way I get a GS7 even thought I'm past that now. I know what you mean on the paper pushing. I love my job but I'm so bored. I do all the paperwork, behind my cubicle while I watch everyone else go out there and do the exciting part. I just hope I don't regret it because I've never done anything like this.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8216 users online. 209 members and 8007 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X