Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by USMC_Stitch View Post
    Got my final letter of acceptance! Class CBPOBT-209

Question for those who've been through it. Any ideas for getting Internet for 1 month during pre-academy? I'll be at SY.SD from Dec 19-Jan25 and need my internet fix. Mainly for Skyping with the family and playing online games

I was looking at Verizon's 4G LTE. They're having a double download limit for the holidays. 10GB for 50$ (normally 5GB/50$). Not too bad, but I really don't want a 2 year with that. I'm also afraid that I'll chew into that, what with the Skype. Gaming doesn't take too much, especially with the time i'll have left after work, PT, food, sleep. Anybody have experience with, say Cox or Timewarner in San Diego? Do you know anybody that does short-term plans? Maybe a local ISP or something?

Thanks

I'm going to quote myself here to bring my question to the front for background info.

I called around, in addition to the Verizon (or insert carrier of choice) wireless, Cox Communications has their internet/phone/cable on a month to month basis. 5MB was 39.99 and 12MB was 49.99. Then they have the phone, cable and the 3-way bundle. I wasn't too interested in that, as I just need Internet, but the option was there. Since I arrive in San Diego Sunday 18th, they said call Thursday for Friday, they'll mail the modem and it will get there by Monday/Tuesday and go ahead and schedule an install on that day.

Since I'm there for a month and a week, I asked him about being billed for 2 months. He informed me that they pro-rate it, so I'll only get billed for the time I use it, not for a full 2 months.

All in all it was a cheaper option, no commitments, and I don't have to worry about going over a DL cap, like with a wireless carrier.

Hope this helps someone else.

Cheers!

Comment

• Originally posted by cesa85 View Post
      BUIS02- Our timeline are very similar, my BI was turned in around the same time. Just today, in CASS my BI went from “in security office” to “schedule to EOD”.
      Have you received a call yet?
      Nice. In CASS my Qualifications, Structured Interview, and Drug Screening are showing Pending. BI just says "Your background investigation has been completed". Is the BI status suppose to go from completed to "in security office" to "schedule to EOD"? Thats awesome you are trucking right along. What are your dates for the process and I'm assuming you chose SWB as your GEO? I get to take my DT today.
      CBPO
      GEO Pref: SWB
      App Date: 8/2/11
      Written Exam: 9/1/11
      NOR (Rating: 85, no vet pref, GS-5/7): 9/29/11
      TSL submitted: 10/12/11 (faxed & mailed)
      E-Qip submitted: 10/14/11
      SF86 submitted: 10/25/11
      PFT1: 11/8/11 (cleared CASS 12/1/11)
      Med: 11/8/11 (cleared CASS 12/8/11)
      BI: 11/15/11 (cleared CASS 12/8/11)
      VBT/SI: 12/7/11 (cleared CASS 12/15/11)
      DT: 12/9/11 (cleared CASS 12/20/11)
      Referred to Schedule EOD 12/15/11
      Call Rec.: 3/2/12
      PFT2: 3/16/12
      EOD: 4/9/12
      FLETC: 5/11/12 - 9/17/12

Comment

• Hi everyone,
        I came across this website as I was searching for info on CBP, so thanks to everyone that posts here I have found a lot of useful information reading through some of the posts. I am one of the ones that tested in 12/2010. I originally selected West Coast so that I can stay in Los Angeles. I reapplied in July hoping this would increase my chances but didn’t realize that it was strictly for SW states and West Coast was not included in that. I got a TO in Oct for SW states. I took my FT and medical on 12/2 and I have my VBT scheduled for 1/10/12. I was just wondering if anyone has heard of people getting picked up for San Bernardino, CA since that’s one of the options for the SW states.
        By the way I asked how they determine where your duty location will be and they said it depends where they will have funding when your name comes up. I am really keeping my fingers crossed for somewhere here in CA.
        Exam: 12/10 (for West Coast)
        Reapplied: 7/11 (for SWB)
        TSL: 10/28/11 (SWB)
        PFT1: 12/2/11 (passed)
        Medical: 12/2/11 (passed)
        VBT & S.I.: 1/10/12 (passed)
        B.I.: 3/19/12 met with BI (in security office)
        Qualifications: 3/22/12 (cleared)
        Drug Test: 5/17/2012 (cleared)
        PFT2: ?

Comment

• There was 24 or 25 of us doing the PFT2 this morning in Chula Vista (all CBPO except 1 that was BP). The majority were for San Ysidro, at least 4 for LAX like myself (one of which failed the situps), a few others for small ports in AZ and NM.

A total of 3 people, all guys, failed the PFT2. 2 couldn't do the situps, 1 failed the run by a few seconds.

Comment

• Originally posted by davidB. View Post
            There was 24 or 25 of us doing the PFT2 this morning in Chula Vista (all CBPO except 1 that was BP). The majority were for San Ysidro, at least 4 for LAX like myself (one of which failed the situps), a few others for small ports in AZ and NM.

A total of 3 people, all guys, failed the PFT2. 2 couldn't do the situps, 1 failed the run by a few seconds.
            Completed PFT2 today in Chula Vista, too. It's a shame those 3 guys failed, but it really isn't too difficult of a test. I do feel for them though. I EOD in Douglas, AZ next week. Anyone else heading to Douglas?

Comment

• does anyone know how long you have after academy to return to working at your port?

Comment

• Usually you have one travel day.

If you talk to management at your port they might be able to adjust your weekly work schedule and/or allow you to burn annual leave.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                  Usually you have one travel day.

If you talk to management at your port they might be able to adjust your weekly work schedule and/or allow you to burn annual leave.
                  hopefully thats when i will be moving the rest of my things to california from mi

Comment

• PFT2 in Detroit done, 4/12 people failed. 2 blood pressure (can reschedule I think) and 1 sit ups 1 pushups
                    Last edited by blk98gt; 12-10-2011, 02:41 AM.
                    You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!

Comment

• Can someone tell me or PM me any info on weapons. Is the HK the only weapon you can carry duty/ off duty? I'm now officially an ex LEO and collected a few guns but thinking about selling them if I can't use them. (Search brought back very random info)
                      I want to keep my M&P40c

Comment

• Originally posted by blk98gt View Post
                        Can someone tell me or PM me any info on weapons. Is the HK the only weapon you can carry duty/ off duty? I'm now officially an ex LEO and collected a few guns but thinking about selling them if I can't use them. (Search brought back very random info)
                        I want to keep my M&P40c
                        The H&K is the only firearm you can officially carry on/off duty.

Get a state permit and you can carry anything off-duty that is approved by the state, as a private citizen.

Comment

• Hi blk98gt,

Any idea what port the other 11 were hired for?

Thanks,
                          Beecy

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                            The H&K is the only firearm you can officially carry on/off duty.

Get a state permit and you can carry anything off-duty that is approved by the state, as a private citizen.
                            In Illinois only law enforcement can carry and it's usually from a prescribed list approved and qualified by the dept. There are no concealed carry permits for private citizens only Firearm Owner IDs to keep a gun in a business/home. Little confused on this one.

Originally posted by Beecy View Post
                            Hi blk98gt,

Any idea what port the other 11 were hired for?

Thanks,
                            Beecy
                            Various ports around MI, 2 SW Border patrol, couple south border

Comment

• Originally posted by blk98gt View Post
                              In Illinois only law enforcement can carry and it's usually from a prescribed list approved and qualified by the dept. There are no concealed carry permits for private citizens only Firearm Owner IDs to keep a gun in a business/home. Little confused on this one.
                              Your issued P2000 is the only gun that the G will back you carrying. Where is your port? If it is in Illinois, your P2000 will be your only real option. If you are in Texas, take a class using an autoloader handgun, get your CHL, and carry whatever gun you want.

On a side note, a P2000 is the most concealable decent sized double stack handgun that I've ever carried... and I've carried a bunch of guns.

Edit: I looked back to see that you are staying in Chicago. You have my congrats and condolences.
                              Last edited by Drifting; 12-10-2011, 07:44 AM.
                              Gek.

Comment

• Hey guys, I'm new on the site and have a couple of questions. I changed my Geo preference in late October and have been given a TO, I've already done the medical/pft1, vbt/si, and I'm just waiting for my BI to clear. I switched to swb and my question is if they let you choose where to be stationed at? I'm hoping for San Diego and will gladly wait until it opens but will they allow me to wait? Thanks

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4066 users online. 232 members and 3834 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X