300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kennedyford
    I am finally reading this thread and it appears to be cyclical by testing announcements. That being said I guess I will start it over again.

Written test done in Nov.2011 at the Estrella Community College in Avondale Arizona.
    NOR Nov. 29. 002 Border Patrol Agent 05 74

I assume I am on the low side of the list. When the test booklet says don't memorize the suffix and prefix rules, kinda hard since I memorized it out of practice in 3 days. wirnefoz....lol. Prob why I got a low score trying to relearn the vocab. I used every minute I had.

So I have read the BP site numerous times. I did not see any pre academy nor specifics on the pre academy. I know travel to Texas is at my own expense for the academy.

I would like to know if anyone has the answer to this question based on info or experience. If you live and have a home in Phoenix, what do you do with a mortgage? If one does not mind driving do I have to move? Selling in this economy is not likely to be a option.
    This thread is for CBPO (Customs and Border Protection Officer) not BPA (Border Patrol Agent). There is a dedicated thread on this site for BPA, I'm sure you would receive a more appropriate response there.

Comment

• Originally posted by yoda View Post
      Finally done... We had one of the junior classes attend our graduation.
      287 is up in 3 weeks!...
      Best of Luck to all of you @ FLETC and heading over as well!
      Congratulations! My oh my time blows by!
      Test: November 2008
      TO: 12/26/08
      Qualifications: 1/09/09-completed
      VBT 1/21/09-completed
      Medical - 1/22/09 - cleared 3/09
      Fitness - 1/22/09 - completed
      Drug test - 7/1/2009 completed
      BI - 6/22/2009 Met with Investigator
      TSU- Referred to Schedule 12/1/2009

Geographic Location- San Francisco/Oakland Airport

Comment

• What is everybody doing about housing? Is there a way we can all keep in contact and maybe share apt's? Would be nice since im coming from so far away.

I'm thinking of calling HR this week to see if they can help.

Comment

• Originally posted by lckyl16 View Post
          How basic/complex is the Spanish? I mean is't it kinda hard to learn a language in 30 days? Does every body pass ? Just trying to make a decision that will make a big impact on me and my family. Thanks guys
          I have not been to the CBPO Spanish Immersion Program, however, I have to think that the Border Patrol SIP is a little more intensive considering the lengths of the two programs.

You will have to learn to communicate in a mediocre manner in a very specific subjects in Spanish to graduate. It is super easy. Almost everyone passes. If you learn 100% of what is taught (and I'd wager that you won't), you will still not speak the language very well at the end of the course. You will be able to give commands and have Spanish speakers understand and respond. You will be able to give a very basic interview in Spanish.

Almost none of the Spanish was new to me and all I had to do was take responsibility for the other thirteen in my class. I did learn a lot about the work that I didn't get in basic academy. I had a lot of fun in SIP.
          Gek.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drifting View Post
            I have not been to the CBPO Spanish Immersion Program, however, I have to think that the Border Patrol SIP is a little more intensive considering the lengths of the two programs.

You will have to learn to communicate in a mediocre manner in a very specific subjects in Spanish to graduate. It is super easy. Almost everyone passes. If you learn 100% of what is taught (and I'd wager that you won't), you will still not speak the language very well at the end of the course. You will be able to give commands and have Spanish speakers understand and respond. You will be able to give a very basic interview in Spanish.

Almost none of the Spanish was new to me and all I had to do was take responsibility for the other thirteen in my class. I did learn a lot about the work that I didn't get in basic academy. I had a lot of fun in SIP.
            Interesting info. I took Spanish 9 years ago in high school and I did ok, not great. Anyhow anyone going to NOGALES on Dec 27? Trying to get some contacts.

Comment

• Just another day on the range. Run to the 200 yd mark, run back, now back to the 100. Fire standing. Fire seated. Fire prone. Shoot and move. Having fun. CBP: It's not just stamping passports.
              Attached Files
              ========================================

sigpic

I feel the need - the need for speed.

Maverick and Goose, TOPGUN

Comment

• Originally posted by Kennedyford
                facepalm.

No big deal, your question might have gone unanswered here. Good luck!

Comment

• Originally posted by cross.sandiego View Post
                  Just another day on the range. Run to the 200 yd mark, run back, now back to the 100. Fire standing. Fire seated. Fire prone. Shoot and move. Having fun. CBP: It's not just stamping passports.
                  Is that qualifying at your port or the academy? That sounds awesome! I hope we get to do stuff like that at the academy.

PS-I clicked on your image, but nothing came up. It could have been my computer though.

Comment

• Internet at FLETC

Can someone tell me what wifi I should get while at the academy ($30, $40 or $50)? I will be using Skype, Netflix, and playing games. Thanks

Comment

• Thanks for the great posts!

I've been a long time lurker. I'd like to thank all of the posters for the great help throughout this hiring process. I'm one of the December 2010 testers. I've also has several hiccups along the way, and I'm still waiting on my background investigation to clear. Just another hurdle to overcome. Look forward to hopefully serving with some of the posters here!

CBPO
                      Test- 12/10
                      NOR- 1/11
                      T.O.- 4/11
                      Qualifications & premployment- cleared 6/11
                      Medical-tested 6/11 failed the uncorrected vision-Lasik performed 7/11
                      Pft1- passed 8/11
                      Medical-passed 10/11 perfect 20/20 vision
                      Drug Test-cleared 10/11
                      Vbt/si- passed 7/11
                      Background Investigation- case is in the security office(met w/ BI 6/11)
                      PFT2- ?
                      EOD- ?

BPA
                      Test- 10/10
                      NOR- 11/10
                      TO- 1/11
                      Qualifications & premployment- cleared 2/11
                      SI- passed 3/11
                      Med/fitness-tested 6/11 failed the uncorrected vision-Lasik performed 7/11
                      Med-passed 10/11 perfect 20/20 vision
                      Drug Test-cleared 10/11
                      Background Investigation- case is in the security office(met w/ BI 6/11)
                      PFT2- ?
                      EOD- ?

Comment

• Firearms(beyond the minimums) tends to get very port specific, with it all depending on the assets of the port, people and surrounding areas.

Don't count on your port being all that into the "running, shooting stuff". You might just end up being disappointed.

Comment

• Firearms training

Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                          Firearms(beyond the minimums) tends to get very port specific, with it all depending on the assets of the port, people and surrounding areas.

Don't count on your port being all that into the "running, shooting stuff". You might just end up being disappointed.
                          As you may guess Seattle (famous for Cop killer and Suicide by Cop) is big on every shooting scenario imaginable ("running, shooting stuff") Heck we even do close combat(who doesn't) and knife defense scenarios. Night/Low light shooting is the best.

Comment

• Originally posted by bronze01 View Post
                            As you may guess Seattle (famous for Cop killer and Suicide by Cop) is big on every shooting scenario imaginable ("running, shooting stuff") Heck we even do close combat(who doesn't) and knife defense scenarios. Night/Low light shooting is the best.

Seattle the port...OK.
                            Seattle the FO...???
                            I'll be willing to bet you'd find a far different program if you happened to drop much of the rest of the FO.
                            Last edited by merlin436; 12-04-2011, 05:29 PM.

Comment

• Pre-academy

Don't know if anyone done this before with the schduling unit. I was offered and accepted for San Ysidro and was scheduled for almost 3 months for the pre-academy. Do you think it's do-able to call the schduling unit and have the academy start date moved to an earlier date (if there's an available seat). Therefore the pre-academy time will be adjusted according. Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by afveteran View Post
                                Don't know if anyone done this before with the schduling unit. I was offered and accepted for San Ysidro and was scheduled for almost 3 months for the pre-academy. Do you think it's do-able to call the schduling unit and have the academy start date moved to an earlier date (if there's an available seat). Therefore the pre-academy time will be adjusted according. Thanks

I doubt it. I'll bet all those earlier dates are booked full.

CBP needed to bring on-board several hundred new people before 01/01 or risk losing the funding for those positions. In short, the extra-long pre-academy is a result of hiring hundreds of people months early.

If several months of pre-academy doesn't suit you, maybe you can decline today's offer and re-enter the TSU pool...hoping to get picked up later in the year when training catches up with hiring. I wouldn't advise turning down a sure thing for a maybe...but it may be an option.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13543 users online. 382 members and 13161 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X