Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by davidB. View Post
    There's so many of us with the Dec 19th EOD date and the march-july academy

I got my pft2 email early this morning, and like I suspected, I'm part of the Chula Vista Friday Dec 9th testing.
    when did you get the call? Received mine friday still waiting on the email.

Correction, got the confirmation email of acceptance. Now I have to wait for them to contact me with more details and where the pft2 will be?
    Last edited by SVU; 11-29-2011, 12:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by OchoTres View Post
      You do everything in sets of 2 or 3. depends on how many people are taking the test.
      Is this true for the 1.5 mile run also? I have one more question regarding the sit-ups. Do they require you to have your elbows touch your knees?

Comment

• just had my vbt, passed it, and then did the SI. They told me I'd be contacted within two weeks, but my pft2 is 12/9, and EOD is 12/19..., seems like awfully short notice. Not really even sure if I did well on the SI

Comment

• Originally posted by 202020
          What location did you pick for PFT2 when you submitted your pre-employment forms?
          The location you picked that's where they will send you. Start working out.

Good luck
          Harpers ferry VA...

Are they going to call me or send me another email with date and time? I figured that info would be in the confirmation email.

Comment

• Finally! Drug test scheduled for Thurs morning! glad they haven't forgotten about me
            CBPO Exam: 08/1/11
            NOR: 8/30/11 86 No Vet Pts. Qual: GS-7
            T.S.L: 9/29/11 (SWB)
            E-QIP: 10/12/11
            VBT & S.I.: 10/25/11 Passed
            Medical and PFT1: 10/31/11 Passed
            Drug Test: 12/1/11 Passed
            Poly: Scheduled for 2/29/12
            B.I.: ???
            PFT2:
            E.O.D.:

Comment

• Originally posted by jdivola View Post
              Is this true for the 1.5 mile run also? I have one more question regarding the sit-ups. Do they require you to have your elbows touch your knees?
              No the whole group will run the 1.5 mile together. No ipods, no watches. Your elbows do not have to touch your knees but they must break the plain of where your knees start. And your shoulder blades must touch the ground every time.
              CBPO
              TO - 05/08 JFK
              EOD - 12/05/2011

Comment

• Getting a little nervous. PFT2, Chula Vista Southwestern College is in 3 days....Weather looks nice though!

I'm still in Mexico with the family. Tried talking to an Officer when I crossed the other day (San Ysidro), but he seemed a little..."So, who the ... are you?". Just wanted to introduce myself. Probably thought I was a wacko or something. Don't blame him really. So, I said I'd see him in a few weeks! Got a Dec 19th Pre-acad at San Ysidro. He did ask me if I got my papers and whether or not I was reporting to Otay or not. I didn't have a good answer, as I was only told SY by MHC. I hope not, I really want SY and not Otay.

No intel on where to stay yet. I had a lead on a short term appartment that rents by the month, about 800-900$ depending, located in Chula Vista. Even has a Gym on premises. No funiture, but I figure with an air mattress, some cheap wal-mart folding furniture and my laptop, I'll be good to go. Get me a door jam pull up bar and that's icing on the cake. I'm going to recon it out Thursday/Friday. Let whoever wants to know, know.

FYI, for the new kids, I've got my pre-academy from Dec 19-Jan 25 for San Ysidro.

Good luck to us all Friday! See you at the track.

Comment

• Originally posted by LIcoastie View Post
                  No the whole group will run the 1.5 mile together. No ipods, no watches. Your elbows do not have to touch your knees but they must break the plain of where your knees start. And your shoulder blades must touch the ground every time.
                  Do they atleast tell you the time on every lap?

Comment

• Originally posted by MEIAM View Post
                    pretty sure a few pages back they said that the test admins will be calling times on laps..., allegedly. if anybody is really worried about 1.5mi in 17:15, you've got bigger problems. Whenever I've tested for local PDs with way stricter standards, hardly anybody fails.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
                      CBP will require you to get pre-approval before taking on any outside employment. Outside of a few atypical circumstances, I really doubt that CBP would approve that type of request. Generally, anything outside employment requests involving law enforcement/security related duties will be shot down.

"Conflicting interests" and such.

Then there's the fact that 2X overtime on this job usually pays far more than any second job would. Many ports will be of the idea that if you want to work extra, put in those hours on OT as a CBPO.

Plus, scheduling on this job is usually such that it would likely be a real PITA to juggle a 'real' second job. Especially for a new guy.

I appreciate the info. I didn’t really think about it in the way of scheduling and ot but that makes sense. I’m really grateful for the opportunity to work for cbp so that’s my first priority, but was just curious so I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Comment

• Originally posted by MEIAM View Post
                        They had 3 people in different areas calling out times while you are running
                        CBPO
                        TO - 05/08 JFK
                        EOD - 12/05/2011

Comment

• pay

Originally posted by penguinorange View Post
                          generally if you had a short pre academy it would be light training, signing forms, and shadowing officers for a little bit to make sure the job is for you.

some of the guys with long pre academies sound like they're doing anything an intern would do pretty much.
                          do we get pay during pre academy?

Comment

• Originally posted by seanhrho View Post
                            Yes, you get base pay of whatever your starting grade is.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanhrho View Post
                              While I wait for this answer, as I keep forgetting to ask myself...

As I live just 5 mins from Glynco, here is some Brunswick info for those planning their time:

FOOD!!!
                              Chain Restaurants:
                              Ruby Tuesdays - I used to work there, prior to joining the Corps, as a waiter and bartender. A popular hangout for FLETC types. Although, I can attest personally, they don't tip for .... Please, guys, if you run up a $400 bill, 375 of it on alcohol, please tip more than 1 dollar each.

Applebee's
                              Longhorn Steakhouse
                              Millhouse Steakhouse
                              Outback (St. Simons Is)
                              Denny's
                              Waffle/Huddle House
                              All your fast food joints (subway, Larry's Giant subs, BK, McD, KFC etc...). Though be wary of Popyes. Its in a not-so-nice neighborhood

Local Restaurants of note:
                              Angel's Cafe - you HAVE to try this. Its the local secret. A quaint little hole in the wall that serves fresh, relatively healthy foods, like sandwiches, salads and what not. Be wary, Instructors are there constantly. Open 10-3 M-F. Located on Altama Avenue, going toward spur 25.

Bromelli Bros Pizza - Hands down, the BEST pizza in the area. Also serves various other Italian dishes like calzones and canoles. Located in a little shopping area by the Mall. about 3 mins from base.

Cilantro's - Mexican food. Full bar and I think dancing on certain nights. Located off Scranton Rd, about 4 mins from base. Across from Ashley Furniture

Five Guys Burgers and Fries - BEST hamburgers i've had in a LONG time. A small chain, but defiantly worth it. Located in the Target plaza
                              Firehouse Subs - good sammies. Located in Target Plaza
                              Seasons of Japan - pretty good Japanese. Locate din Target Plaza

SHOPPING!!!
                              Target
                              Walmart (there's a bus that runs from Fletc to here and back. I see "field trips" all the time)
                              Sears, Belks, JcPenny (mall)
                              Famous Footwear, Rackroom Shoes

STUFF TO DO!!!
                              Kayaking. Very big here. Lots of marsh and of course we're on the ocean. There are 2 places where you can rent kayaks, both the same company. One in Brunswick, on Hwy 17 south, the other on St Simons Is, Village/Pier area. Its about 40$ for a day trip, about 2-3 hours, with instruction for those who've never done it. Other packages available. http://seaoutfitters.com/ Highly recommend it.

Movie theater. Located in the mall. Its decent, modern. No Imax though.

Jekyll Island. Nice beach, bike trails through woods etc. $5 Cover charge to get on the island
                              St Simons Island. Overcrowded, but the pier is nice, touristy. Plan on making only right turns, as you'll wait about 10-15 mins. to turn left.

Savannah Georgia. About 45min - 1hr north. Very cool place, especially Riverstreet. It was an old port, and still retains the cobblestone streets down on the riverwalk. For my fellow Irish brothers: KEVIN BARRY's. It was a pub that was literally picked up from Ireland, boated across the sea, and placed on the riverwalk. Traditional Irish music. World Famous. They'll even serve your Guiness warm. This is a full day trip, as there is lots of stuff to see/do/eat. Lots of history and good food.

St. Augustine, Florida. About 2 hours south. One hour Past Jacksonville (the airport you'll be coming in on most likely). Another historic place. America's first city. Spanish flavor, with a fort and some cool shops. Defiantly worth a day trip or stay over.

Jacksonville, Florida. Big city, easy to get lost in. Only worth mentioning b/c of the airport. About 1 hour south of Brunswick. Skip it.

That should get you going for now. If I think of anything else, i'll update or repost.

EDIT: UPDATE:

A few important things I forgot to mention. We have high humidity, sometimes around 85% or more. However, during the winter months, we're not too bad. Weather is similar to So Cal/San Diego, but more humid. And hot. Its a wet heat. A lot of people have issues with this, especially if they come from the north. The humidity can make breathing a little labor intensive, especially when running. Our cold can sometimes call for a wool cap and gloves, but that generally bleeds off in the afternoon to a balmy 55-60 (again during the winter months). If you're lucky to come during the summer months...it sucks.

The other thing i forgot to mention that a lot of people are unprepared for: our state bird, the GNAT, or sand gnat (pronounced nat, not guh-nat). A swarming, biting, little demon from hell. Even Cthulhu calls these things a menace. Deep woods off with a healthy dose of Deet works a treat though. Don't leave home without it. They're year round. They swarm. The more you kill, the more that come. Don't be afraid to spray the Off in your eyes, nose, ears and mouth. You'll thank yourself.
                              Last edited by USMC_Stitch; 11-29-2011, 10:59 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

• yes you get paid for pre-academy, jeez guys...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6242 users online. 402 members and 5840 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X