300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SoCalCBP View Post
    Long time lurker, first time poster here (not sure why it took so long to allow me to post anything, but that's another can of worms.)

Just passed my PFT2 in Chula Vista, CA this morning. For those of you taking your PFT2 soon: Make sure you stretch GOOD, don't rely on the proctors to give you time to warm up etc. It was a little cold in Chula Vista this morning but not too bad. Practice NOW. I felt bad for the people that failed. Our group had maybe 15-20 ppl (half were for Border Patrol), and the only people who failed, failed on the sit-ups portion. Everyone ran the 1.5 in under 15 mins.

Our group was mostly SWB. San Ysidro, some for AZ, and Los Angeles.

PFT2 @ SouthWestern College: Just a heads up, park in LOT "L", the track is hidden in the back. And its like $3 for a parking pass.

Good luck ppl!

Me: EOD @ LAX 12/05/2011 with FLETC 01/11/2012
    I'm testing at that same site two weeks from today. Thank you for the heads-up. I had a feeling that the sit-ups could be problematic. I'm in decent shape and I can only fit in about 33 sit-ups in one minute. How many did you get in?

As far as the 220 yard run, how did you and the rest of the group perform? I really need to practice this.

Comment

• Originally posted by merlin436 View Post
      Really? I'd love to hear more about the meat behind this '7000' number.

By my figuring 146 classes divided by 52 weeks equals an average of 2.8 classes per week. 48 students per class times 2.8 equals 135 students per week. Current CBPOBT classes are 89 training days. 89 training days equal roughly 18 weeks, not counting holidays. 16 times 135 equals 2430. 2430 should be roughly the number of CBPO trainees on base the night before the first class graduates and the newest class moves in. Add several hundred FLETC people who are attending FLETC programs other than CBPOBT. Lowballing I'll guess 3000 people attending FLETC at the height of such a schedule.

Could FLETC support 3000 trainees for any length of time? I rather doubt it. I'm guessing there's not enough bed space/hotel space in FLETC and surrounding Brunswick to support those numbers.
      Merlin,

I agree with you. The numbers do not really add up, however, the person whom said this... not just to me... but my entire class... plus some... is a reputable person. Yet, the figure does seem rather large. There are a ridiculous amount of hotels off post but I have a hard time believing there is enough classroom space or enough instructors to meet those demands. The rumor I heard a few weeks ago was the possibility of having a noon to eight class schedule or something along those lines to break up the overflow of students. Is that possible? Maybe? Maybe they'll do what they did back in the early 2000's and I believe even up to like 2004-2005 (someone chime in on this... not sure how long that went on) where they were going 6 days a week and had longer hours to shorten the overall length? Again, highly unlikely because I management likes what they're doing and producing right now.

I guess we'll see in 4-6 months!

Comment

• Originally posted by z132878 View Post
        Did they make you wait at all after the test? If they made you wait, they probably reviewed the tape and you may not have passed. If they told you right after the VBT they will be in contact with you, they probably did not have anyone to grade your test. I believe that JFK was doing they SI right after the VBT, but I'm not sure. If JFK testers would chime in please. Good Luck!

i took my VBT back in 2008 and when i am finished i just leave and go home. and my frd who took it 2 weeks b4 me is the same.

Comment

Long time lurker, first time poster here (not sure why it took so long to allow me to post anything, but that's another can of worms.)

Just passed my PFT2 in Chula Vista, CA this morning. For those of you taking your PFT2 soon: Make sure you stretch GOOD, don't rely on the proctors to give you time to warm up etc. It was a little cold in Chula Vista this morning but not too bad. Practice NOW. I felt bad for the people that failed. Our group had maybe 15-20 ppl (half were for Border Patrol), and the only people who failed, failed on the sit-ups portion. Everyone ran the 1.5 in under 15 mins.

Our group was mostly SWB. San Ysidro, some for AZ, and Los Angeles.

PFT2 @ SouthWestern College: Just a heads up, park in LOT "L", the track is hidden in the back. And its like $3 for a parking pass.

Good luck ppl!

Me: EOD @ LAX 12/05/2011 with FLETC 01/11/2012
          Hey, like jdivola, I'm there in 2 weeks. Thanks for the heads up, and the good intel on parking. I thought I had the sit-up and push ups no problem, I was sweating the run. But now...you made me a little nervous. I'm in decent shape, just can't run that fast.

I did 46 situps and 47 push ups at the PFT1. Hopefully that won't be a problem.

Comment

• @ DavidB: Yes i tested at the end of 08. And so did the other two LA area ppl i spoke with today. Talk about waiting.....I do not remember my TO date. I just took care of whatever paperwork or assignments they wanted me too.

@ JDivola: As soon as u meet the required number, you're done. I usually practiced by doing sets of 50 at home. But that was not 50 in one min. Just sets. Same thing w/ push-ups but i did those in sets of 25. I also did the 220 in 29 secs. They have a start point and end point on the track. only 1/2 ppl were close to not making the 50 sec requirement. I practiced by doing 6-10 100 yard sprints when i went jogging.

Comment

• Originally posted by USMC_Stitch View Post
              Hey, like jdivola, I'm there in 2 weeks. Thanks for the heads up, and the good intel on parking. I thought I had the sit-up and push ups no problem, I was sweating the run. But now...you made me a little nervous. I'm in decent shape, just can't run that fast.

I did 46 situps and 47 push ups at the PFT1. Hopefully that won't be a problem.
              you'll be fine, a 17 min 1.5 mile is more than enough time. The sprint is first, so just get that out of the way.

Comment

• Should be. I do about 2 miles in 17:33 (worst time, so I go with that one). Sprint, don't know how many yards, but i do .2 miles in the 50secs. 220 yards = .125 miles.

I want to practice at the field. Can you tell me how they measure the 220 and the 1.5? How many laps, what marker to look for etc?

Comment

• Originally posted by USMC_Stitch View Post
                  Should be. I do about 2 miles in 17:33 (worst time, so I go with that one). Sprint, don't know how many yards, but i do .2 miles in the 50secs. 220 yards = .125 miles.

I want to practice at the field. Can you tell me how they measure the 220 and the 1.5? How many laps, what marker to look for etc?

Actually, if you can find a football field use that. Back of the end zone, to back of the other end zone is 220. At the college, they used a rolling measurement wheel (?) to get the exact length. They used a cone and hurdle as one start point, and another hurdle and video camera as the end point. FYI: they record everything too. The mile, there were some red hashed lines on the floor by the front straight that was the start point, the end point was actually about 20 ft farther to complete a full lap as the track was not a full regulation length. The proctors did everything by the book.

Comment

• Just saying.. the back of the end zone to the other back of the end zone is only 120 yards which is about 109 meters. Again just saying.

QUOTE=SoCalCBP;2924478]Actually, if you can find a football field use that. Back of the end zone, to back of the other end zone is 220. At the college, they used a rolling measurement wheel (?) to get the exact length. They used a cone and hurdle as one start point, and another hurdle and video camera as the end point. FYI: they record everything too. The mile, there were some red hashed lines on the floor by the front straight that was the start point, the end point was actually about 20 ft farther to complete a full lap as the track was not a full regulation length. The proctors did everything by the book.[/QUOTE]

Comment

• Originally posted by yoda View Post
                      -As a new hire you will be clean shaven while on EOD/Pre-Academy and FLETC, once you get back it will depend on your port... but at this time they eased off on the facial hair issue at the POE's.
                      -There is NO relocation money for anyone... They will pay for a plane ticket to get to FLETC and back, or milage if you drive.
                      -The ports have no say as to when and how many people are hired, you might get to come in with other people on the same day or you might be the only one... MHC takes care of the hiring not the POE's.
                      The union contract allows you to have neatly trimmed facial hair under 1/2 inch in length at any POE. At FLETC it really depends on your session supervisor there are CBP trainees with beards here right now so don't believe the clean shaven hype, our session supervisor told us clean shaven and we still have trainees with mustaches and I haven't seen an EDR issued for it. The facial hair standards are not that strict.

Comment

Actually, if you can find a football field use that. Back of the end zone, to back of the other end zone is 220. At the college, they used a rolling measurement wheel (?) to get the exact length. They used a cone and hurdle as one start point, and another hurdle and video camera as the end point. FYI: they record everything too. The mile, there were some red hashed lines on the floor by the front straight that was the start point, the end point was actually about 20 ft farther to complete a full lap as the track was not a full regulation length. The proctors did everything by the book.
                        Awesome, thanks. I've never run a track before (believe it or not!). I've always street run in the Corps, and wooded trail while on the tennis team.

Comment

• Socalcbp: thanks, if you ever stumble across that paper that has your TO on it, let me know. It should be Dec 08. Mine is the 22nd, so I'm wondering where I stand in line.

Comment

• calexico , california

Is anyone out there from , know anything about or going to calexico. I would like to find sone info about the area... i am scheduled EOD DEC 19 AND WOULD be relocating from mi . Im concerned about living situation and transportation. Any info on that port thanks ...i hear there is a comittee that helps relocating officers not finantially but with resources has anyone heard this ?

Comment

• Nogales, AZ

I found a reasonably priced hotel in Nogales that is close to where we report. If anyone wants the info, PM me. I'll check it as often as I can.

I'm also looking for someone to split costs with. If you're interested let me know.

Comment

• Originally posted by seeOH View Post
                                Merlin,

I agree with you. The numbers do not really add up, however, the person whom said this... not just to me... but my entire class... plus some... is a reputable person. Yet, the figure does seem rather large. There are a ridiculous amount of hotels off post but I have a hard time believing there is enough classroom space or enough instructors to meet those demands. The rumor I heard a few weeks ago was the possibility of having a noon to eight class schedule or something along those lines to break up the overflow of students. Is that possible? Maybe? Maybe they'll do what they did back in the early 2000's and I believe even up to like 2004-2005 (someone chime in on this... not sure how long that went on) where they were going 6 days a week and had longer hours to shorten the overall length? Again, highly unlikely because I management likes what they're doing and producing right now.

I guess we'll see in 4-6 months!
                                A 1200-2000 class would involve paying evening differential. A 6 day work week would involve paying 2X COPRA overtime for day#6.

Personally, I just don't see it. Moving beyond the many FLETC/training issues, there is the question of whatever would CBP do with 7000 new hires? Generously assuming that 1000 or so would replace attrition, that's 6000 new officers that need to be placed somewhere. The current target population of CBPOs is 21,186...6K is well over 25% of that total.

How many ports across the country could assimilate a 25% growth in CBPOs over the next year or so?...I'm guessing not many. Most ports were built pre-9/11, are largely obsolete and aren't really designed for the people they currently have, much less for the addition of scores to hundreds of more officers.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 14353 users online. 406 members and 13947 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X